With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:16 am
Owendonovan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:22 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:57 pm ...

Also Tim Scott, Chris Christie, and now Cornel West.
That leather vest looks so natural on Mike. So far, all the GOP candidates are abhorrent.
Are there any GOP candidates that could be acceptable? Romney (he looks down right sterling next to this field), Chenney (Liz, not her dad), Kasich? Any of these could remotely be a candidate?
Serious question.
The base of the GOP is so far right I don't think any of the people you mention have a chance. Even if TFG is hauled off in an orange jumpsuit those people will be looking for someone just like him.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Kasich and Cheney aren't the policy-free culture warriors to the degree the current crop is.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But I was talking more about a possible GOP president that would not have you waking up with a knot in your stomach every day.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Meanwhile more on "George Santos".

I'm not even Casablanca shocked about this.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Not being a US citizen or resident any more, I must say Trump is probably one of the less dangerous Presidents..Rubio, for instance, talked of bombing Iran the moment he got jnto office..bombing a country?! Is it some kind of joke? Even Hilary was a war-monger in the same category...the very worst is certainly George Bush, whose crazy narcissistic policies led to the deaths of thousands (but not too many Americans! So it is ok?) And continuing chaos in the entire middle East. Trump didn't bomb anyone or start a war while he was President...! Give him some credit for that.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Trump was awful internally and would be a complete disaster for Ukraine and perhaps the wider Eastern Europe where I'm from.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:10 am Trump was awful internally and would be a complete disaster for Ukraine and perhaps the wider Eastern Europe where I'm from.
agreed, but I dont particularly care about the US because they would have deserved him if they elect him! The rest of the world is innocent of the crime..not sure he would be wose for Eastern Europe either - the Ukraine war is a boon to arms manufacturers, I suspect they are the ones really rooting for the war to go on, and they arent particularly Trump or Biden supporters, I dont think. Under the current dispensation, I dont see any end to this war... the suffering will just go on and on..
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

The war could end easily if Ukraine kicks Russia out of their own territory.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

From the point of view of policies and diplomatic relations between the USA and the world, Trump is dangerous because of his ignorance of other countries. You are in the Asian region, and Trump had no plan to even control N. Korea's Nuclear Arms power. Sure, as a citizen of India that may be the least of your worries (you guys have nukes too) but it creates a destabilizing factor in the region. Notice how, for example, with Russia at war with Ukraine, we have seen how quickly "reasonable" agents start talking about using nuclear weapons. In the hands of a lunatic (and N. Korea is in the hands of a lunatic), that is something that needs to be managed. And Trump is uniquely unqualified to do that.
But, economically, he poses a different threat. The US' debt is still increasing (not even the Dems know how to handle it) and that affects 1/3 of the world's economy. Trump had no idea of how that dangerous that is. And, as a final example. He is a Climate Change denialist. We know the preponderance that the USA has in emissions, so having such an ignorant person at the helm of that country is very dangerous.
The USA is not just about war and alliances. It affects everybody in many other ways. Like China.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

TFG's interested in only one thing - money. That is why I have to disagree with him being a "lesser evil". If Country A want's to know what"s going on in Country B, say the two countries are traditional rivals, TFG will sell intelligence to either or both countries. If one balks at the price the one who pays will get it. He has no beliefs or moral compass. That's why Smith charged him with 31 counts of espionage. And think about it, they haven't even charged him with actually stealing the documents - that could come later.

As for the world economy he's ignorant about anything to do with finance unless it involves him getting a cut off the top. He's a very dangerous man.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I remember when Russia was THE ENEMY of the USA, for the GOP especially. Now, they won't even let you investigate them.
What a change.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Every accusation is an admission.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Shocker, 'Moms for Liberty' don't believe in liberty.