With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

I can't thank you for that post, Ti. It is sickening.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

That press conference was clearly out of step with what is most concerning to everyday Americans right now, who truly don't care about re-election two months after inauguration. If they had bothered to ask, they may have learned information such as this, which is very likely to help with mitigating the current surge in cases. I know the one that is opening in Newark is capable of 42k doses/week and NJ is having the largest increase in cases of any state as you can see in the graph above.

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:12 pm That press conference was clearly out of step with what is most concerning to everyday Americans right now, who truly don't care about re-election two months after inauguration. If they had bothered to ask, they may have learned information such as this, which is very likely to help with mitigating the current surge in cases. I know the one that is opening in Newark is capable of 42k doses/week and NJ is having the largest increase in cases of any state as you can see in the graph above.

The WH press corps showed itself to be poorly prepared to cover a real Administration, one focused on governing and not reality show style sideshows. Let's hope they do better next time.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Is there anything the federal government can do against that crazy law in Georgia? If not more wins by the blue team probably not happening there...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:56 pm Is there anything the federal government can do against that crazy law in Georgia? If not more wins by the blue team probably not happening there...

Yes, federal law overrides state law, so many particulars in the state laws being passed will become void. The original Voting Rights Act prevented much of this nonsense, but the teeth of the act were taken out through various GOP actions in recent years in an effort to do what they are doing right now.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:01 pm

In my experience, even well meaning white people have no idea how offensive anything relating to a plantation is and will gloss over everything about them and see them as nothing other than "gorgeous antebellum architecture" or some such nonsense. Man oh man, have I had to have multiple conversations on this topic.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:30 pm

In my experience, even well meaning white people have no idea how offensive anything relating to a plantation is and will gloss over everything about them and see them as nothing other than "gorgeous antebellum architecture" or some such nonsense. Man oh man, have I had to have multiple conversations on this topic.
White privilege.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

the Moz wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:35 pm
JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:30 pm

White privilege.
White privilege is much much much too kind here. We have a group of rich white guys in suits standing in front of a picture of a death camp (It's a plantation like Auschwitz was a candle factory) signing Jim Crow era anti Black voter legislation. How about white supremacist racists?

Kevin
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

It is too kind. I just wanted to keep my judgemental response short.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by JazzNU »

FWIW, I thought @Moz was responding more to my comment than what was going on in that photo as a whole. For the photo and what those men are doing? Too kind. For my comment? Pretty spot on.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Since I've not been further south than Richmond on the East coast: do most of these plantations still serve as private residences? Some are museums no doubt, but probably minority.