With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless tow players with the last name play on the same day.

Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
the Moz Canada

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by the Moz »

Please tell me the ceramic lawn jockeys are gone? It took a Civil War and a Constitutional Amendment to downgrade to those from '3/5'. So very very very offensive disgusting revolting...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

While I agree with the sentiment, I do not think this is white privilege. A privilege is a passive thing that benefits the people it affects. Like, the way white mass murderers are treated when arrested is white privilege. We know what happens when non-whites interact with the police.
Yet I cannot find the proper description. White violence? Actionably, it is that: a few white men taking away rights from minorities that leads to a verifiable denigration of their well being. White sadism? White abuse? (I feel that is too soft).
How to describe this? Pettiness is still too soft, although the concept is in the right direction: white people passing laws that hurt others while at the same time those laws truly do very little FOR them.
White aggression? I would settle for that. This is a violation of an entire section of the population's rights. It is as aggressive as any law can be.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:29 pm While I agree with the sentiment, I do not think this is white privilege. A privilege is a passive thing that benefits the people it affects. Like, the way white mass murderers are treated when arrested is white privilege. We know what happens when non-whites interact with the police.
Yet I cannot find the proper description. White violence? Actionably, it is that: a few white men taking away rights from minorities that leads to a verifiable denigration of their well being. White sadism? White abuse? (I feel that is too soft).
How to describe this? Pettiness is still too soft, although the concept is in the right direction: white people passing laws that hurt others while at the same time those laws truly do very little FOR them.
White aggression? I would settle for that. This is a violation of an entire section of the population's rights. It is as aggressive as any law can be.
Sorry to take this off topic for a moment, but I'm now wondering is there a similar kind of dynamic between formerly enslaved and former slavers in any other country where slavery was abolished in mid 19th century or later. I'm particularly wondering about Brazil since in the Caribbean the number of fully white people remaining is very small. I've not heard of anything like that, but I could just be poorly informed...
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

The law is voter suppression. End of.

A group of white men standing in front of that painting signing that law and being perfectly fine broadcasting that to the world is white privilege to me. They think and act without consequence or repercussion knowing full well it's offensive and wrong. Their money and access to power shields them from tangible scrutiny.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

the Moz wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:41 pm The law is voter suppression. End of.

A group of white men standing in front of that painting signing that law and being perfectly fine broadcasting that to the world is white privilege to me. They think and act without consequence or repercussion knowing full well it's offensive and wrong. Their money and access to power shields them from tangible scrutiny.
In case I was not explaining myself well: for sure, you are 100% correct. This is blatant voter suppression. My only question is whether calling it White Privilege is strong enough. To me, this similar to designating RAPE as SEXUAL ABUSE. White privilege simply does not carry the connotations of how despicable this is.
Side note: I have family in Georgia. But if they did not live there, I would never set foot again in that state. The racist, misogynistic cesspool of the USA.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 pm Since I've not been further south than Richmond on the East coast: do most of these plantations still serve as private residences? Some are museums no doubt, but probably minority.

Private residences, museums, hotels, B&Bs. Some are not quite museums but like part of a historical tour of some kind.

But like I said. Plenty are showing off the architecture and gloss over the history of the structure.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Suliso wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 pm Since I've not been further south than Richmond on the East coast: do most of these plantations still serve as private residences? Some are museums no doubt, but probably minority.
I don't live in the South, but from what I've read and heard, (and please correct me if I'm wrong), people have weddings and other celebrations on plantations too. It's really sick.

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:29 pm While I agree with the sentiment, I do not think this is white privilege. A privilege is a passive thing that benefits the people it affects. Like, the way white mass murderers are treated when arrested is white privilege. We know what happens when non-whites interact with the police.
I'd say Apartheid is the word you're looking for. Doesn't connote the descriptiveness you probably want out of the word, but that is what they are attempting to institute. And the word has a well known history that ought to alarm people.

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:39 pm
I don't live in the South, but from what I've read and heard, (and please correct me if I'm wrong), people have weddings and other celebrations on plantations too. It's really sick.

Kevin
Yes, that's a biggie for their current use. Like I said, I've had to have many conversations on this topic, it being inappropriate for a special occasion to take place if I was expected to attend has been several of those conversations. I have always offered to just skip, not for them to move an event.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 pm
dmforever wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:39 pm

Kevin
Yes, that's a biggie for their current use. Like I said, I've had to have many conversations on this topic, it being inappropriate for a special occasion to take place if I was expected to attend has been several of those conversations. I have always offered to just skip, not for them to move an event.
I don't understand what's hard for people to understand. What do these people that you deal with say?

Kevin
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

They probably just see a pretty building and a nice garden. They are pretty from pictures I've seen...

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 pm I don't understand what's hard for people to understand. What do these people that you deal with say?

Kevin
Like I said, I'm talking about well meaning white people here that have almost all been good friends. Their sheltered worlds didn't make them think of a plantation as a connection to slavery, but as more of a dreamy Gone with the Wind type setting. That is how it is portrayed now and for decades in pop culture and entertainment. as a southern style architecture with large manicured lawns divorced from their previous operation. And it's not like the education system here does much to counteract that.

When I tell them, listen, I'm going to skip it and they ask why, I vary what I say based on who I am talking to and what stage the event planning is (I'm truly not trying to ruin someone's event or make them lose money), but the one that drives the point home the quickest, is when I ask them if they'd be comfortable staying/celebrating at the Hotel Auschwitz? They're typically horrified. It has never occurred to them once to view it in that manner, and that even includes my Jewish friends, it's just never a connection they made.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:33 pm
dmforever wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 pm I don't understand what's hard for people to understand. What do these people that you deal with say?

Kevin
Like I said, I'm talking about well meaning white people here that have almost all been good friends. Their sheltered worlds didn't make them think of a plantation as a connection to slavery, but as more of a dreamy Gone with the Wind type setting. That is how it is portrayed now and for decades in pop culture and entertainment. as a southern style architecture with large manicured lawns divorced from their previous operation. And it's not like the education system here does much to counteract that.

When I tell them, listen, I'm going to skip it and they ask why, I vary what I say based on who I am talking to and what stage the event planning is (I'm truly not trying to ruin someone's event or make them lose money), but the one that drives the point home the quickest, is when I ask them if they'd be comfortable staying/celebrating at the Hotel Auschwitz? They're typically horrified. It has never occurred to them once to view it in that manner, and that even includes my Jewish friends, it's just never a connection they made.
That's actually very heartening that even though they never really thought about it, they do get it once the connection is made for them. Maybe there is still hope. It must be a little a little frustrating for you though to have to make the connection for them.

Kevin
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I read the other day that Tim Scott got a pardon for his coke dealing cousin from Tiny so expect him to come out from whatever rock he hides under and talk about how great this is.

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics ... 26b1d.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Can this be challenged in the SCOTUS? It is so blatantly discriminatory that it would seem easy to shot down, but we know what the SCOTUS composition is now.