'23 US Open 8/28 - 9/10 General Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
jazzyg United States of America

Re: '23 US Open 8/28 - 9/10 General Discussion

Post by jazzyg »

No sane person, anywhere, ever said Coco would NEVER win a slam. Railing against false doubters is a pox on sports now, and I think less of her now than before when she uttered that inanity after winning the match. Makes me almost ill.

Having written that, I absolutely am someone who posted here she was a ways away from winning a slam as recently as post-Wimbledon. I did not think she would win it even after dominating the summer hard court circuit. I did not think with her forehand she would win one before the age 21, if that soon, so I was dead wrong. Although she played several three-set matches, she never was in danger of losing any of them and was a deserving winner. But I would love for anyone to point out any credible TV analyst or writer who said or wrote anything about Gauff never winning a slam. It never happened.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:05 pm No sane person, anywhere, ever said Coco would NEVER win a slam. Railing against false doubters is a pox on sports now, and I think less of her now than before when she uttered that inanity after winning the match. Makes me almost ill.

Having written that, I absolutely am someone who posted here she was a ways away from winning a slam as recently as post-Wimbledon. I did not think she would win it even after dominating the summer hard court circuit. I did not think with her forehand she would win one before the age 21, if that soon, so I was dead wrong. Although she played several three-set matches, she never was in danger of losing any of them and was a deserving winner. But I would love for anyone to point out any credible TV analyst or writer who said or wrote anything about Gauff never winning a slam. It never happened.
I didn't pick her to win because her draw was tough and there was SO much hype, and Iga and Sabalenka have been amazing this year. I still don't think Gauff would have beaten Iga in the quarters, even though she just beat her in Cincy. Sabalenka beat herself as much as Gauff won the final. Gauff's takedown of Muchova was her best match IMO.

I figured Gauff was more likely to win majors than not at some point. I never say "when, not if" anymore - too many factors.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:44 pm
nelslus wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:35 pm OH, and here's a photo that John took of us in August. We'll hit 29 years together in November.

https://scontent-ord5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=650676B2
Incredible. Great photo!
Thanks so much. :)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:24 pm
jazzyg wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:05 pm No sane person, anywhere, ever said Coco would NEVER win a slam. Railing against false doubters is a pox on sports now, and I think less of her now than before when she uttered that inanity after winning the match. Makes me almost ill.

I didn't pick her to win because her draw was tough and there was SO much hype, and Iga and Sabalenka have been amazing this year. I still don't think Gauff would have beaten Iga in the quarters, even though she just beat her in Cincy. Sabalenka beat herself as much as Gauff won the final. Gauff's takedown of Muchova was her best match IMO.

I figured Gauff was more likely to win majors than not at some point. I never say "when, not if" anymore - too many factors.
For me- I saw both matches live. For me, Coco's game was at its best from the middle of the second set through the third set.

BTW- while here I put in 2/6 votes for Coco to win- that was more a combo of her very solid level of play post-Wimbledon, the shakiness of almost all players from both tours, hopeful thinking, and wanting to put in some positive karma for Coco. I did not think she'd win this year. THEN- there was Coco's very rough first round match against Siegemund, losing sets to Caroline and Mertens....Having said all of that- somehow (and what I just wrote may not make the following real credible)- I do think Coco would have beaten Swiatek at this Open. At least by her standards- Swiatek's level of play hasn't impressed me all that much post-Roland Garros.

Post by nelslus »

Coco IS a 19 year old African American very young woman. I'd give her some lee-way just for that. And- I mean- ya think she's had to deal with, not just doubters (we all obviously have the right to be doubters, most definitely including tennis players), but a lot of hatred coming her way- stuff that we have and have not seen? I think she had every right to respond as she did in her on court post match interview. And- clichéd as it is to say- since none of us can walk in someone else's shoes and all that....
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I didn't think she'd win a Slam for another 2-3 years but that was before her losing early at Wimbledon and hiring Pere Riba and Brad Gilbert. Her entire approach changed and her level of play went way up. Coming into the USO I thought she'd make the semis and lose, maybe. She had a very tough draw.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

A good quote from Pegula - confrms what I have always said : on a slow court, you need power to be able to hit through it - the roof being closed, the heavier balls, made for slow conditions too.. Pegula just isnt that player.. Poised and thoughtful as always, Pegula said afterward: “When it’s a slow hard court and the roof is closed, the ball doesn’t go anywhere for me. I think I have to really over exaggerate being aggressive. That wasn’t something I was able to do today. I think it gave her a lot of time to really set up and go for her shots. She started making them right away. She played great, there’s nothing you can do.”
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You can always make the case for some style of play on any given court. Let's take that slow court.
Sure, Maddie has more power, but Pegula is faster than her. So Pegula could have reached more balls and make Maddie hit one more screamer, and we know how Maddie has a penchant for errors.
Look at the final. For sure, Aryna has more power than Coco (not by much, but she does), but Coco was able to play tough defense because the court was slow, and she waited for Aryna's error. On the same conditions that Jessie faced, because the roof was also closed for the final.

I agree, the courts are too slow. ALL courts are too slow; it has contributed to the demise of Serve and Volley tennis, and the defensive styles we see today. So it would be nice if some attacking players were favored every now and then with a fast court. Let's have Wimbledon be that place (go back to the grass mix of the 80's).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by nelslus »

.....AND, to conclude, seemingly, the final chapter of Nelslus: The US Open 2023 Saga....Southwest Airlines ended up sending me a $150 voucher- I had requested reimbursement for all of my extra expenses- which came out to $265.79. I mean, clearly, I was not trying to over-do on my expenses. I have a year to use the voucher- which is definitely fair. Their response: "Our records indicate that Flight #2379 was cancelled due to Air Traffic Control (ATC) directives. ATC is vital to the safe operation of all air carriers' flights, including Southwest Airlines. Still, we know that ATC decisions are not necessarily convenient, and we sincerely apologize that your flight was delayed on September 10. We regret your inconvenience and the added expense incurred when your flight was delayed as a result of circumstances beyond our control. In this situation, we do not provide reimbursement for interim expenses, but retaining your future patronage is very important to us. We want to invite you back for a more typical Southwest experience. As a gesture of goodwill, we’ve issued you a $150 Southwest LUV Voucher, which will arrive within the next 10 business days. Instructions for use will be printed on the voucher. It's our hope that you will continue flying Southwest Airlines as it would be our privilege to welcome you onboard for many years to come."

I mean- sure, they apparently only sent out the urgent "Air Traffic Control (ATC) directive" to Southwest Airlines- since plenty of other airlines were flying that day. (AND, OK- I guess it's entirely possible that my info is off, and flights weren't going on from NYC to Chicago that day? But, that doesn't allow me the wiggle room I need to remain Southwest Airlines Grouchy.) BUT- cliché and all- something's better than nothing. I'll use the Voucher From The Damned before the year is up, and MOVING ON, baby! :gorgeous: