Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Owendonovan United States of America

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by Owendonovan »

Menendez certainly has reason to believe he'll get away with this and get re-elected, he has before. There are so few politicians I wouldn't drag, like Al Franken, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders ilk.

Menendez sounds almost trumpian, idiotic.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

GQP is holding a hearing in the House to present evidence against POTUS.

How it started

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

How it's going

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Does the death of Senator Feinstein change any political equations? Probably not?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:32 pm Thousands of MAGA's won't make any difference. If you start talking hundreds of thousands, maybe in one state or another. You will need a few million to make the idea truly lethal.
But you know for whom.

What color will they choose? I recommend Brown.
yellow!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:14 pm Does the death of Senator Feinstein change any political equations? Probably not?
The good news is that the Governor of California is a Democrat so nothing should change.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:48 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:14 pm Does the death of Senator Feinstein change any political equations? Probably not?
The good news is that the Governor of California is a Democrat so nothing should change.
Hopefully someone not interested in more than 2 or 3 terms, if they were to eventually get elected, who is in their 40's or 50's.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Apparently it is conceivable the GOP won't permit the new senator to take the slot on the Judiciary committee ...60 votes required to unblock it, which is hard to get together ...so maybe one act left in this drama
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Owendonovan wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:43 am
Hopefully someone not interested in more than 2 or 3 terms, if they were to eventually get elected, who is in their 40's or 50's.
You won't find such a person. After 1-2 terms one gets really used to all the power and prestige.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I'm reading that the House overwhelmingly passed a bill to keep the U.S. federal government open another 45 days and sent it to the Senate. What's unclear is aid for Ukraine. One piece I read stated the House bill lacks aid for Ukraine. Another stated the House bill lacks additional aid for Ukraine. Those two things don't necessarily mean the same thing to me. But maybe that's just semantics.

In any case, it should pass the Senate, I expect, though you never know what Manchin and Sinema will do to get headlines.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:35 pm I'm reading that the House overwhelmingly passed a bill to keep the U.S. federal government open another 45 days and sent it to the Senate. What's unclear is aid for Ukraine. One piece I read stated the House bill lacks aid for Ukraine. Another stated the House bill lacks additional aid for Ukraine. Those two things don't necessarily mean the same thing to me. But maybe that's just semantics.

In any case, it should pass the Senate, I expect, though you never know what Manchin and Sinema will do to get headlines.
Okay. Washington Post is reporting no aid for Ukraine in the House package. That's very disappointing.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:22 pm Okay. Washington Post is reporting no aid for Ukraine in the House package. That's very disappointing.
That's ok for now - it's the long term deal that needs to include the Ukraine aid package - I believe the proposed funding covered more into the future, and that the immediate funding is covered in previous bills.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

skatingfan wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:25 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:22 pm Okay. Washington Post is reporting no aid for Ukraine in the House package. That's very disappointing.
That's ok for now - it's the long term deal that needs to include the Ukraine aid package - I believe the proposed funding covered more into the future, and that the immediate funding is covered in previous bills.
I'm not sure about that. It's fuzzy. I could be wrong. Sen. Bennet (D-CO) is objecting to the package at hand.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

U.S. Federal Government shutdown averted for 45 days.

::

Just to give you a sense for how these things play out for U.S. Federal Government contractors... Over the past few days, I have been hounded by corporate requests to come up with potential work assignments for contract personnel who may have been prohibited from actually doing contract work come October 1. (For some reason, our current Head Start contract seemed to be at the top of the list of contracts we may not be able to work on during a government shutdown. Don't ask me why. Head Start has always enjoyed bipartisan support.)

In any case, I was put in the position where I had to potentially pull work assignments from my team members (all covered by overhead) to cover contract personnel who may not have been able to work (which would have been covered by, you guessed it, overhead). It was crazy. But that's a thing. And now, it was a colossal waste of time and energy.

Just wanted to share a federal government contractor perspective on how the (expletive) flows. ("Down the hill! And where are we?!? AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL!!!")

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Bradley P. Moss
@BradMossEsq

Uhhh…. We don’t do that in the United States. Literally not legal. A Texas resident cannot be prevented from crossing the border into New Mexico.

Article IV, Section 2