With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

House GOP picks Jim Jordan as next speaker nominee

House Republicans on Friday voted to make Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) their next nominee for speaker. Jordan, who was endorsed by former president Donald Trump, is chairman of the Judiciary Committee. Jordan finished second to Rep. Steve Scalise (La.) in internal balloting earlier this week. Scalise dropped out Thursday night as he struggled to attract the votes he would need to be elected by the full chamber. The voting Friday suggests Jordan could have a difficult time reaching the threshold as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... aker-vote/

They made the updated wording a little less ambiguous about Gym's chances.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

I saw somewhere that the first vote today was 124-81 and the 2nd vote was 152-55. And that there are only 207 Republicans in attendance today, so 14 others not there to vote. I really hope Jordan does not get the votes. I mean, I don't want this to continue, but please not Jordan.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I can't think of a single republican qualified for that position.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

They've taken the weekend off to "think about it". In other words they are checking in with their backers to see what they should do and by backers I don't mean the marks that vote for them.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:00 pm I can't think of a single republican qualified for that position.

Just yesterday he disclosed his campaign is $100,000 in debt: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/1 ... s-00121630

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

The House has delayed its second vote for Speaker until Wednesday after Jim Jordan failed to win the support of enough Republicans.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Rep. Jim Jordan falls short of House speakership; no more votes tonight

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), a conservative firebrand allied with former president Donald Trump, failed to win over enough Republican holdouts to reach a majority on the House floor to become the next speaker. The Ohio Republican confirmed Tuesday evening there would not be another round of voting until at least 11 a.m. on Wednesday. Jordan is seeking to succeed Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who was ousted as speaker two weeks ago. Jordan became the Republican nominee after Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), the first choice of the GOP conference, withdrew from the race last week.

Here's what to know
The House is in recess, subject to the call of the chair, as House Republicans discuss how to proceed...
Jordan can lose no more than four Republicans to win the gavel, but 20 members of his conference voted for someone other than him in the first round.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... aker-vote/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Jim Jordan’s remarkably thin legislative track record

Analysis by Aaron Blake
Staff writer
October 16, 2023 at 5:23 p.m. EDT

In a historically fraught time marked not only by partisan gridlock but also a remarkably incohesive Republican Party, the House GOP could soon elect a speaker with a remarkably thin legislative track record and precious little experience building the bipartisan consensus he would soon need.

Critics of Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) have increasingly pointed to this — most notably the fact that he has yet to get a bill signed into law since being elected in 2006.

“House Republicans have just elected a speaker nominee who in 16 years in this Congress hasn’t passed a single bill,” House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) said Friday, “because his focus has not been on the American people.”

(...)

The most oft-cited data on legislative success comes from the Center for Effective Lawmaking, a joint project of Vanderbilt University and the University of Virginia. It tracks not only bills that become law, but bills that get some kind of traction, along with how significant the bills are. (i.e. you don’t get the same credit for getting a bill naming a post office passed as you would for an overhaul of health care.)

Lawmakers of both parties often tout these rankings when boasting that a member has had a bona fide impact on our nation’s laws.

Jordan has not had much impact, at least by this measuring stick.

CEL data have routinely ranked Jordan near the bottom of the House when it comes to his effectiveness. To wit:

Last Congress, only four lawmakers ranked below him.
He has ranked in the bottom five among House Republicans each of the past four Congresses.
He has ranked in the bottom quarter of House Republicans in every full Congress he served in.
Before this Congress, its data don’t record any bills Jordan sponsored passing or receiving any action — whether in committee or on the floor.
How unusual is this? Part of the reason is that Jordan doesn’t sponsor a lot of bills. But other prominent members have significantly more robust track records.

For instance, CEL data show Jeffries last Congress sponsored nine “substantive” bills — i.e. not commemorative things like naming a post office — which went on to pass, including four that became law. (Jeffries was in the majority with Democrats controlling both the Senate and the presidency, but Jordan has been in a majority for most of his tenure, and his party had that same trifecta from 2017 to 2019.)

Ousted former speaker Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) during Jordan’s tenure has sponsored 17 bills that passed and eight that became law. Five of those laws were regarded as “substantive.”

And House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) during Jordan’s tenure has sponsored eight “substantive” bills that passed, including one that became law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ctiveness/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Rep. Jim Jordan falls short of House speakership on second ballot
Updated 25 min ago

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) failed to reach a majority on the House floor Wednesday, drawing one fewer vote for speaker than on the first ballot Tuesday. Jordan, a conservative firebrand allied with former president Donald Trump, is seeking to succeed Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who was ousted as speaker two weeks ago. Twenty-two Republicans voted against Jordan on the second ballot. He can afford to lose only four.

KEY UPDATE

By Paul Kane
Senior congressional correspondent and columnist
Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) set a modern record: lowest vote tally for majority’s nominee to be speaker. Just 199 Republicans voted for him on second ballot. No majority nominee has received less than 200 votes in a really long time.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So is it back to McCarthy for these idiots?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It seems Gym's supporters used the third chapter of Tony Soprano's handbook when "wooing" his party members.

GOP Rep. Reveals Threatening Texts His Wife Received About Jim Jordan Vote
Nebraska Rep. Don Bacon's' wife fired back at the anonymous messages.
By Lee Moran

Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.) says his wife received multiple anonymous text messages that warned what would happen to his political career if he didn’t back Rep. Jim Jordan’s (R-Ohio) run for the House speaker role.

“Jim’s been nice, one-on-one, but his broader team has been playing hardball,” Bacon told Politico in a story published Tuesday.

In an exchange that Politico’s Olivia Beavers shared on X, formerly Twitter, the unidentified texter asked Bacon’s wife: “Why is your husband causing chaos by not supporting Jim Jordan? I thought he was a team player.”

Bacon’s wife replied: “Who is this???”

The texter said: “Your husband will not hold any political office ever again. What a disappoint (sic) and failure he is.”

Bacon’s wife fired back: “He has more courage than you. You won’t put your name to your statements.”

In another message, Bacon’s wife was urged: “Talk to your husband tell him to step up and be a leader and help the Republican Party get a speaker there’s too much going on in the world for all this going on in the Republican Party you guys take five steps forward and then turn around take 20 steps backwards no wonder our party always ends up getting screwed over.”

Bacon ended up voting for Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who was ousted from the position earlier this month.

Jordan, whose allies have reportedly engaged in other strong-arm tactics as part of his campaign, lost the first floor vote on Tuesday night.

“We’re going to keep going,” the Donald Trump-backed congressman vowed afterward.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 213b07c3f7

It appears that English is not this person's first language...

Post by Owendonovan »

Meanwhile, the GOP blames the dems for this mess. The Dems haven't changed their votes once, 212 for Hakeem Jeffries. Jordan doesn't need 50 more votes, Hakeem needs 5.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Who will be the brave souls to cross the line for Jeffries?

Post by Owendonovan »

patrick wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:49 pm Who will be the brave souls to cross the line for Jeffries?
Hmmm, current GOP reps. with souls. Lemme get back to you.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Jordan emerges from meeting to say he is ‘still running for speaker’
By Mariana Alfaro, Amy B Wang and Leigh Ann Caldwell

After an eventful morning and a heated Republican conference meeting, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) emerged to say that he was “still running for speaker.”

After telling his conference in the morning that he would back a plan to temporarily expand the powers of Speaker Pro Tempore Patrick T. McHenry (R-N.C.) and delay a third ballot, Jordan suggested the plan wouldn’t move forward as of now.

“We made the pitch to members on the resolution as a way to lower the temperature and get back to work,” Jordan said. “We decided that wasn’t where we’re going to go.”

It is unclear if Jordan was suggesting he or other Republicans were abandoning the plan to empower McHenry entirely. Other members of GOP leadership, including Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.), Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) and Conference Chair Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) have come out against the plan to empower McHenry.

Jordan’s spokesman said the Ohio Republican could call for a third vote as early as today, despite the lawmaker’s earlier assessment that there would not be a vote Thursday.

“I’m still running for speaker, and I plan to go to the floor and get the votes and win this race,” Jordan said, without specifying a time or date. “But I want to go talk with a few of my colleagues. Particularly, I want to talk with the 20 individuals who voted against me so that we can move forward and begin to work for the American people.”

Twenty Republicans voted against Jordan in the first ballot on Tuesday. On Wednesday’s ballot, 22 Republicans voted against him.

By Paul Kane
Senior congressional correspondent and columnist

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) acknowledged that former speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) screamed at him in the meeting. Gaetz’s challenge led to McCarthy’s ouster.

“I think his passions are a little inflamed. I think he’s working through the stages of grief,” the far-right antagonist told reporters.

Gaetz also acknowledged a clash, more verbal in nature, with Rep. Mike Bost (R-Ill.).

“I think he was pretty animated. I don’t know if I’d describe it as a lunge,” he said.

Gaetz said his comments at the microphone that might have sparked the shouting matches were his opposition to the proposal to empower the speaker pro tempore.

“I said that I thought that having ‘speaker light’ was a bad idea,” he said, adding that he continues to support Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... RML2N7EP4U