With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ashkor87 India

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:50 pm A colleague of mine who's well versed in US politics, but perhaps doesn't follow as much recently is convinced that Biden's goose is cooked. Too old and senile looking.
yes, too bad.. Haley is going to be the next POTUS.. Trump will be in jail.. I wish someone like Gretchen Whitmer would run but it wont happen
Disclaimer: speaking purely as an observre.. not being a US citizen, I really should not opine on US politics but it is good spectator sport..! :P
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Haley would be ok, but I'm afraid I don't share your optimism about Trump being in jail and if he isn't Haley has no chance. Trump is the real deal for so many in US.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

the trouble with people like her is they just dont understand economics, especially post gold-standard economics. America is not creating a mountain of debt its chldren and grandchildren will have to repay.. the dollar is a sovereign currency, the government can create as many as it needs, by just a keystroke. Yes, inflation is an issue but then the question should shift to - how much inflation are we willing to accept in return for xxxxx (whatever it is)..in any case, inflation will not happen if the money is spent productively ...
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

First of all the title "moderate" is not some kind of sign of virtue, but more importantly it's just in comparison to Trump and DeSantis.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

There is no republican, in or seeking office, that I have heard wants to govern for the majority of people in this country. Their constituents are exclusively their large donors.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

George Santos has been expelled from Congress.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Santos expelled and Desantis took a series of body blows from Newsom in a debate. Pretty good 24hours

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:33 pm George Santos has been expelled from Congress.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
CALL TO ACTIVISM
@CalltoActivism
🚨🚨🚨MAJOR BREAKING: Republican Max Miller reveals a major bombshell about George Santos and says he’ll vote to expel him.

Miller, a staunch MAGA Republican, claims Santos’ campaign fraudulently bilked thousands of dollars from his and his mom’s personal credit cards.

Today, he released a full statement to the Republican caucus and it is shocking:

Here it is in full:

“Colleagues -

Late yesterday on the floor I alluded to a personal impact of Rep. Santos's conduct.

Earlier this year I learned that the Santos campaign had charged
my personal credit card - and the personal card of my Mother - for contribution amounts that exceeded FEC limits.

Neither my Mother nor I approved these charges or were aware of them. We have spent tens of thousands of dollars in
legal fees in the resulting follow up.

I've seen a list of roughly 400 other people to whom the Santos campaign allegedly did this. I
believe some other members of this conference might have had the same experience.

While I understand and respect the position of those who will vote against the expulsion resolution, my personal experience related to the allegations and findings of the Ethics Committee compels me to vote for the resolution.

Since I alluded to this on the floor yesterday, and because of the significance of the question before us, I believe you're entitled to this further explanation for my position.

Max”
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Every accusation is projection.

Moms For Liberty co-founder in raunchy three-way sex relationship rape probe
Brad Hunter
Published Dec 01, 2023

A parental rights crusader and her hubby were allegedly part of a three-way sex relationship that has now come off the rails with accusations of rape.

Bridget Ziegler is the co-founder of right wing Moms for Liberty and a trustee with the Sarasota County School board. Her hubby Christian Ziegler is chairman of the Florida Republican Party.

Together the pair are the preeminent power couple in the Florida GOP — until now.

Cops say a woman claiming to be part of a three-way sexual relationship with the pair is now claiming Christian raped her.

Florida Trident, a non-partisan government watchdog, obtained the heavily redacted complaint filed on Oct. 4 with the alleged victim claiming the rape occurred in her home.

The woman claimed she had been involved in a longstanding, consensual three-way sexual relationship with the couple. She said the rape occurred when Bridget Ziegler was away.

So far no criminal charges have been filed and Christian Ziegler’s legal eagle has denied the allegations against his client. Sarasota cops are now investigating.

Sources told the Trident that Christian Ziegler allegedly videotaped the sexual encounters with the woman and his wife.

The shocking revelations are certain to knock conservative rising star Bridget Ziegler’s ambitions for a loop. The GOP doesn’t much go for bisexual threesomes but still, Ziegler was backed by Florida Governor and presumed 2024 presidential candidate Ron DeSantis.

Bridget Ziegler co-founded Moms for Liberty in the blowback against COVID-19 restrictions at schools across the U.S. In addition, Bridget helped write DeSantis’ Parental Rights in Education Bill, AKA the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law.

Article content
“Bridget Ziegler, we should have her in every county in Florida. We have to do a better job in these school board races,” DeSantis said in the past.

According to Britain’s Daily Mail, Bridget now works for a conservative group training the next generation of the movement’s leaders. One of the programs encourages mothers and fathers to run for local school boards.

Moms for Liberty came to Bridget Ziegler’s defence in a now-deleted post on X: “Yet another attempt today to ruin the reputation of a strong woman fighting for America.”

As for Florida Republicans, the lurid allegations came as a “shock” and members expressed their “disappointment”. The GOP said in a statement: “The Republican Party takes all such allegations of potential criminal conduct very seriously and will fully cooperate with investigators.”

Meanwhile, Christian Ziegler’s lawyer is confident his client “will be completely exonerated.”

“Unfortunately, public figures are often accused of acts that they did not commit whether it be for political purposes or financial gain,” Derek Byrd told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.

“I would caution anyone to rush to judgment until the investigation is concluded. Out of respect for the investigation, this is all Mr. Ziegler or myself can say at this time.”

https://torontosun.com/news/world/moms- ... rape-probe

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Look at the time stamp on the tweet. :lol:
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

112 republicans and 2 democrats voted to keep Santos in office.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Messenger @TheMessenger

WATCH: National Republican Congressional Committee releases new ads using AI images of immigrants overrunning national parks

https://themessenger.com/politics/nrcc- ... onal-parks

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Florida Republican party chair suspended amid rape accusation
Party demands Christian Ziegler’s resignation after he was accused of raping woman he and wife had prior relationship with

Associated Press
Sun 17 Dec 2023 21.20 GMT

The Republican party of Florida suspended its chairman, Christian Ziegler, and demanded his resignation during an emergency meeting on Sunday, adding to calls by Governor Ron DeSantis and other top officials for him to step down as police investigate a rape accusation against him.

Ziegler is accused of raping a woman with whom he and his wife, Moms for Liberty co-founder Bridget Ziegler, had a prior consensual sexual relationship, according to police records.

“Christian Ziegler has engaged in conduct that renders him unfit for the office,” the party’s motion to censure Ziegler said, according to a document posted on the social media platform Twitter/X by the Lee county GOP chairman, Michael Thomason.

Ziegler tried to defend himself during the closed-door meeting, but the party board quickly took the action against him, Thompson said.

“Ziegler on soap box trying to defend himself, not working,” Thompson posted before confirming the votes.

The party’s executive committee will hold another vote in the future on whether to remove Ziegler.

The Sarasota police department is investigating the woman’s accusation that Ziegler raped her at her apartment in October. Police documents say the Zieglers and the woman had planned a sexual threesome that day, but Bridget Ziegler was unable to make it. The accuser says Christian Ziegler arrived anyway and assaulted her.

Christian Ziegler has not been charged with a crime and says he is innocent, contending the encounter was consensual.

The accusation also has caused turmoil for Bridget Ziegler, an elected member of the Sarasota school board, though she is not accused of any crime. On Tuesday the board voted to ask her to resign. She refused.

The couple have been outspoken opponents of LGBTQ+ rights, and their relationship with another woman has sparked criticism and accusations of hypocrisy.

In addition to DeSantis, the Republican senators Rick Scott and Marco Rubio, US representative Matt Gaetz and Florida’s Republican house and senate leaders have all called for Christian Ziegler’s resignation.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... accusation

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

‘Poisoning the blood’: Trump’s ugliest moments on immigrants

Analysis by Aaron Blake
Staff writer
December 18, 2023 at 1:51 p.m. EST

When Donald Trump began saying that immigrants poison the blood of our country in September, he could have argued plausibly that he didn’t know the construct was one of Adolf Hitler’s infamous talking points.

Today, that argument isn’t going to fly, thanks to the thorough airing that his use of the phrase received — including here — in a way Trump couldn’t have missed. Yet he is saying it again.

Over the weekend, Trump returned to this rhetoric about undocumented immigrants.

“They’re poisoning the blood of our country. That’s what they’ve done,” he said in New Hampshire. “They poison — mental institutions and prisons all over the world. Not just in South America. Not just the three or four countries that we think about. But all over the world they’re coming into our country — from Africa, from Asia, all over the world.”

Trump’s comments are particularly notable in that he explicitly links the poisoning of our blood to predominantly non-White areas of the world. Back in September, Trump linked the term blood-poisoning to how “people are coming in with disease.”

His new comments are merely the latest in a long compendium of ugly and racist comments about immigrants, Muslims and racial minorities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... mmigrants/

Timeline of statements at the link.