Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by JazzNU »

How many times are you allowed to take it? Is it a problem for your resident status that you didn't pass?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Well, I hope you do get it eventually. Will make traveling and working easier for you, I assume. As funny as it is to say it about a Colombian passport...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:20 pm How many times are you allowed to take it? Is it a problem for your resident status that you didn't pass?
No, no problem at all. You can take it as many times as possible, but it takes 6 months for a new date. So kind of a drag.
Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:32 pm Well, I hope you do get it eventually. Will make traveling and working easier for you, I assume. As funny as it is to say it about a Colombian passport...
The sole reason for doing this. Getting a Venezuelan passport is right now somewhere in between miraculous and impossible. I guess it will have to be next year.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Pills against stupid are not through the clinical trials yet.

In other news got my second vaccine yesterday. Feel fine only kind of sleepy at 10 am.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Good for you, Suliso.
My understanding is that the main problem with the pills against stupidity is that the people that will take them are not stupid, and the people that will not take them are. Sort of a placebo effect for people that know about the placebo effect.

About the two dead Covid skeptics. Please do not post any more of those because, when I fail to feel any sort of sorrow or pity for them, it reminds me of what a lousy human being I am. Instead of "gee, that is sad", my initial train of thought is "Damn, Darwin keeps getting proven right". And the worst part is that I feel no shame in not feeling sorry at all.
Off Topic
And of course I am joking. Post anything you want about idiots that have a vaccine readily available and decide to gamble with their lives.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Covid infections up 100% the last seven days. Driven mostly by 20-40 year olds. Number of people in a hospital (88) still low, but we'll see in a week or two.

Only 21% of 20-29 year olds are fully vaccinated...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:48 pm Good for you, Suliso.
My understanding is that the main problem with the pills against stupidity is that the people that will take them are not stupid, and the people that will not take them are. Sort of a placebo effect for people that know about the placebo effect.

About the two dead Covid skeptics. Please do not post any more of those because, when I fail to feel any sort of sorrow or pity for them, it reminds me of what a lousy human being I am. Instead of "gee, that is sad", my initial train of thought is "Damn, Darwin keeps getting proven right". And the worst part is that I feel no shame in not feeling sorry at all.
Off Topic
And of course I am joking. Post anything you want about idiots that have a vaccine readily available and decide to gamble with their lives.
Ponchi a lot of people on the Bird App agree with you. I think they should post them because while many do not use that app they may have people in their circle who do and word will get around. Maybe that will help save a few lives that would otherwise be lost. I don't know.

This was making the rounds yesterday. It's a bit harsh but makes the point.

atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:48 pm Good for you, Suliso.

Off Topic
The struggle is real ponchi - especially when it involves your family and all you want to say is why the heck didn't you get vaccinated. Instead you have to hold your tongue until after they recover (which fortunately my family members did - a co-worker was not so fortunate). Obviously I'm sad they are sick and want them to get better, but it's tough to be sympathetic when they didn't take the precautions available to them.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Must be that since I am here in Colombia, and our problem is that there are not enough vaccines yet, I am truly puzzled by these people. I have only one friend that believes the virus and the response are lies (he believes Fauci is a hoax, as if Fauci were making any money out of this) and therefore, reading about these people is amazing to me.
Sorry to sound callous, but honestly, these news leave me perplexed, not feeling any sorrow for the people in them.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Ponchi, it's still early days in Colombia. You'll arrive at your vaccine deniers too hopefully sooner than later. In Switzerland about 25% of adults intend not to take the vaccine no matter what. In Latvia it's even more.

Mind you they're not all conspiracy theory believers. Lots of younger people simply think that they are young and strong and need no stinking vaccine.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No, really, not here. I have yet to find anybody, or read any news, about people not planning on getting the vaccine. The young ones are not rushing to get it for the reasons you mention, but when they get their place in line, they will.
Remember that Colombia is one of those countries where you need vaccination to go to school. My GF has a friend, one of the vegan/ant-vaxxer/holistic medicine believers that moved here from Vennieland and was trying to get her children into school, without vaccination. My GF told her it was impossible, so she should just simply vaccinate her children (young kids when they moved here from Venezuela, so they had never gone to school back there). She said she would not, my GF said "good luck".
She had her children vaccinated. All schools simply pointed at the law.
If the U.S.A. simply wants to get rid of some vaccines, send them here. The Govt will take all they can.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I believe childhood vaccines are mandatory here as well, but these ones are seen completely differently. It would be amazing if you could really achieve 90%+ coverage for adults. I don't think any European country will manage to get that high. Israel has done really well, but not reached that magical number either.