For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day. And do not quote any post, as it will put you over the limit of characters for our parser

'23 USO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '23 USO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

I would flip Novak/Ben. I agree that having a young American in prime time would be great for the USO, if he were to play a close match. In that aspect, you are 100% right.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:46 am Everything you said is accurate - but my point, said more explicitly remains, what is the ranking of the 4 players in terms of interest in US
Djokovic
Shelton
Alcaraz
Medvedev

So...I imagine some lobbied to get Novak and Ben in primetime
I would expect that Alcaraz is a bigger ratings draw right now then Shelton. The highlights from last year were all over SportsCentre, and have been replayed all year.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:46 am Everything you said is accurate - but my point, said more explicitly remains, what is the ranking of the 4 players in terms of interest in US
Djokovic
Shelton
Alcaraz
Medvedev

I'd guess Alcaraz is the biggest ratings draw, then Djokovic. Not sure about Shelton and Medvedev, if they're tied or Ben edges ahead.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:43 am But, as many say here, the Novak/Ben match up can be a slaughter (I don't agree), so you end up with a 1-3-2 match, on prime time.
Carlos/Daniil has the potential for being a close match.
PLUS.
Can we remember that the USO just put Medvedev in a total furnace of a match? So, would it be fair FOR DANIIL (there are more than one player involved in this decision) to have to play, on shorter notice than Novak/Ben, a second match in extreme heat?
This is a very valid argument "for the general public". But if we assume that they have a desired result in mind in the finals, what stops us from assuming that they have preferential results for semis as well. Chances for both Medvedev and Shelton are not good anyway. So from their pov, Djokovic and Alcaraz both win - no matter which slot they'll play. Medvedev is a fine player, but stylistically Alcaraz is a very bad matchup for him. So the chances for Djokovic-Alcaraz final are quite high anyway you slice it. The difference will be - how much gas in the tank each of them will have come the final day. They saw twice this year that Alcaraz was affected by heat - Paris and Cincy. And another victory of Djokovic is NOT what they want. And if someone will complain, that "whining" meme will always be ready. As far as I remember, when Nalbandian was complaining that he was flat out buried by rigged officiating in the USO semis against Roddick, he was also labeled as "whining". This is a proven way to refute any uncomfortable argument.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:19 am
mick1303 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:01 pm US Open decision makers chose Alcaraz over Djokovic, clearly demonstrating who they want to win. Considering the heat, whoever plays during the day will be depleted to much higher degree.
Seriously - Djokovic fans hurt Djokovic's popularity with the general public because of this constant whining about everything. Djokovic/Shelton will have had two days of rest since their respective quarterfinals, so it makes sense that they play the first match. By the time the semifinal starts at 3pm local time the sun will be off the court. It will be hot, and humid but Djokovic will also have more time to recover before the final than the winner of the 2nd semifinal.
I like Djokovic, but he is not my very favorite player. I was always rooting for Federer, when he played Djokovic. If Djokovic to play Medvedev, I will be happy with either result, but probably more so with Medvedev win. The thing with Djokovic is that he is the enemy of corporate tennis crew. They can't forgive him the attempt to create players association, because this would reduce the flow of money in their pockets.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Selfishly- I just hate that- unless the box office miraculously has a ticket for an non-insane price and/or I can manage to show enough leg in a timely fashion- I won't get to see Carlos live this year. And, it really made sense to me that Novak/Ben would have been the night match. AH, well. :cry:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:38 am ...

This is a very valid argument "for the general public". But if we assume that they have a desired result in mind in the finals, what stops us from assuming that they have preferential results for semis as well. Chances for both Medvedev and Shelton are not good anyway. So from their pov, Djokovic and Alcaraz both win - no matter which slot they'll play. Medvedev is a fine player, but stylistically Alcaraz is a very bad matchup for him. So the chances for Djokovic-Alcaraz final are quite high anyway you slice it. The difference will be - how much gas in the tank each of them will have come the final day. They saw twice this year that Alcaraz was affected by heat - Paris and Cincy. And another victory of Djokovic is NOT what they want. And if someone will complain, that "whining" meme will always be ready. As far as I remember, when Nalbandian was complaining that he was flat out buried by rigged officiating in the USO semis against Roddick, he was also labeled as "whining". This is a proven way to refute any uncomfortable argument.
Sorry. Totally disagree. Read the possible headline:
"Djokovic TIES grand slam record with victory AT THE US OPEN".
There is no way the USTA does not want or accept that headline. And the USO has this "thing" for making history, so if Djokovic wins and ties the record here, they will be super happy.

And about whining and complaining. I have not heard of Novak saying anything about his time slot. This time, he has been silent. It has been other agents talking about this being rigged.
(And I am not talking about you).
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Bopanna, at 43, the oldest man to play in a USO finals...strange career, late bloomer, has been a force only after reaching the age of 30..unusual for an Indian- usually early bloomers..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Ram, by contrast, won the Orange Bowl, was ranked very high as a junior, but never developed in singles as he left the junior ranks.. i think because he is too slow on his feet to manage singles...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Djokovic
Shelton
Alcaraz
Medvedev

I'm surprised the Shelton/Djokovic match wasn't the night match BUT don't forget this is ESPN and college football season is in full swing. Shelton has a better chance of being seen by the US audience during the day than at night and they want to build a fandom around US player.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, this time I will praise myself. Not a demolition, not a close match. A straightforward victory, nothing to keep in the HD.
Novak will be fresh for Sunday. Nothing happened.
FredX United States of America

Post by FredX »

I might say that third set was a LITTLE more than straightforward and routine.

I didn't really expect Shelton to win, but I thought he'd bring a fight. And I think he did that

Biggest takeaway was Djokovic's post victory mockery of Shelton and his rather curt dismissal of him at the handshake - despite having the smarts to always say something gracious in interviews, the real Djokovic is always under the surface.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Djokovic will need to serve better against Alcsraz than he did in the third set here...never seen him serve so poorly... saw only the third..

Post by meganfernandez »

FredX wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:07 pm I might say that third set was a LITTLE more than straightforward and routine.

I didn't really expect Shelton to win, but I thought he'd bring a fight. And I think he did that

Biggest takeaway was Djokovic's post victory mockery of Shelton and his rather curt dismissal of him at the handshake - despite having the smarts to always say something gracious in interviews, the real Djokovic is always under the surface.

What mockery, I missed it.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:57 pm Well, this time I will praise myself. Not a demolition, not a close match. A straightforward victory, nothing to keep in the HD.
Novak will be fresh for Sunday. Nothing happened.
Right. Easy sledding for Djokovic, never looked seriously threatened. Ben didn't embarrass himself, though. Had a chance (but not a prayer) in the third. Good learning experience.