For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day. And do not quote any post, as it will put you over the limit of characters for our parser

WTA 250 Auckland 1/1 - 1/7 2024

To talk about both tours
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: WTA 250 Auckland 1/1 - 1/7 2024

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote:Hopefully Xinyu and Xiyu Wang will be wearing different outfits when they play each other in the R16 or that will be a scorers nightmare
And umpire’s. I wondered if they would ever play each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:I watched Svitolina vs Woz and Raducanu vs Ruse last night.

Svitolina vs Woz was a grueling match both mentally and physically. Woz was doing her usual and waging a war of attrition but Elina got right down in the mud with her and was the one to get the mistakes from Woz.

As for Raducanu I watched through the second set and the start of the third when it became obvious Ruse was not going to be able to hold her nerve and take the match from Raducanu who did nothing special. There were a few nice shots from her but if she had been playing anyone else I don't think she would've won the match. Ruse had no business losing the first set but you could see the panic set in and she did. She held it together better in the second to win it but she was losing the plot mentally early in the third and I'm surprised she managed to get to 5 all before losing.

It's going to be interesting to see Raducanu play the new more aggressive Svitolina next.
Svitolina in straights, routinely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:15 pm I watched Svitolina vs Woz and Raducanu vs Ruse last night.

Svitolina vs Woz was a grueling match both mentally and physically. Woz was doing her usual and waging a war of attrition but Elina got right down in the mud with her and was the one to get the mistakes from Woz.

As for Raducanu I watched through the second set and the start of the third when it became obvious Ruse was not going to be able to hold her nerve and take the match from Raducanu who did nothing special. There were a few nice shots from her but if she had been playing anyone else I don't think she would've won the match. Ruse had no business losing the first set but you could see the panic set in and she did. She held it together better in the second to win it but she was losing the plot mentally early in the third and I'm surprised she managed to get to 5 all before losing.

It's going to be interesting to see Raducanu play the new more aggressive Svitolina next.
Something in Svitolina's game bothers Wozniacki. Hence 4:1 turning 5:1 h2h.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:15 pm I watched Svitolina vs Woz and Raducanu vs Ruse last night.

Actually- Emma was up 5-2 in the third against Ruse- double break. So, clearly, both were pretty wobbly. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

nelslus wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:57 pm

Actually- Emma was up 5-2 in the third against Ruse- double break. So, clearly, both were pretty wobbly. :gorgeous:
Good point. I didn't watch that long. I figured Ruse would panic and lose. #shrug

ETA: The thing that bugged me with Ruse is that she wasn't deer in headlights the entire match. Every time she worked herself into a winning position like nelslus points out above coming back from 2-5 you could literally see her tense up and as the comm said "lose herself". Raducanu still has poor lateral movement and when Ruse was winning she was hitting shots that would exploit that. And then she would just stop thinking.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Day 6 Order of Play

Stadium

Starts at 6:00 PM

CHN Y. YUAN vs CRO P. MARTIC (7)
Followed by
USA C. GAUFF (1)
vs CZE B. FRUHVIRTOVA
Followed by
SUI L. SUN vs FRA V. GRACHEVA (8)
Followed by
GBR E. RADUCANU vs UKR E. SVITOLINA (2)
Followed by
CZE M. BOUZKOVA/USA B. MATTEK-SANDS (1)
vs NZL P. HOURIGAN/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE

Grandstand
Starts at 11:00 PM

NZL J. OTWAY/SUI L. SUN vs FRA J. PONCHET/CZE A. SISKOVA (4)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The battle of the Wang's was a bit difficult to follow unless you went by kit/skirt color and followed the indicator as to who was serving.

Going forward the WTA or whoever does the graphics for the broadcasters needs to think a bit outside of the box. Xinyu Wang and Xiyu Wang could be shown as "Wang Xin" and "Wang Xi" for example. I know, asking them to show the surname first is asking a lot but still, even using the Western naming convention it would be better than what we got last evening.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Brenda Fruhvirtova went up 2-0 on Cori in the first set. She lost it 6-3. Cori is now up 4-0 in the second set.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Gauff closes it out 6-3, 6-0 in 1h09m over Brenda Fruhvirtova.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:08 pm The battle of the Wang's was a bit difficult to follow unless you went by kit/skirt color and followed the indicator as to who was serving.

Going forward the WTA or whoever does the graphics for the broadcasters needs to think a bit outside of the box. Xinyu Wang and Xiyu Wang could be shown as "Wang Xin" and "Wang Xi" for example. I know, asking them to show the surname first is asking a lot but still, even using the Western naming convention it would be better than what we got last evening.
I wish the WTA site still had pronunciation audio clips for names. I dont' see them anymore.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Raducanu doing quite well against Svitolina..split two tiebreak sets..Raducanu is a grand slam champion, Svitolina is not!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Svitolina won the third quite easily..both can be pleased with this performance...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:40 am Svitolina won the third quite easily..both can be pleased with this performance...
I read that Raducanu had no legs left in the third set. I wonder if it was lack of conditioning or lack of match play? Both?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Day 7 Order of Play

Stadium

Starts at 6:00 PM

USA E. NAVARRO (4) vs CRO P. MARTIC (7)
UPCOMING
USA C. GAUFF (1)
vs FRA V. GRACHEVA (8)
UPCOMING
CHN Xiyu WANG vs FRA D. PARRY
UPCOMING
CZE M. BOUZKOVA (5)
vs UKR E. SVITOLINA (2)
UPCOMING
Semifinal
FRA J. PONCHET/CZE A. SISKOVA (4) vs KAZ A. DANILINA/SVK V. HRUNCAKOVA (2)

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:22 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:40 am Svitolina won the third quite easily..both can be pleased with this performance...
I read that Raducanu had no legs left in the third set. I wonder if it was lack of conditioning or lack of match play? Both?
I'd say both, yeah, but quite possibly legs since she had the foot surgery last year.