Court 17

Day session - From 7:00pm EST

Women's Doubles • Round 2
A. Bolsova/U. Eikeri vs M. Bouzkova 10/L. Hradecka 10

Men's Doubles • Round 2
M. Daniell/F. Nielsen vs R. Ram 2/J. Salisbury 2

Mixed Doubles • Round 1
A. Sharma WC/J. Smith WC vs L. Hradecka/G. Escobar

by ashkor87 Expect Vondrousova to knock off Sabalenka...!

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:06 pm Expect Vondrousova to knock off Sabalenka...!
That's too easy a call :) You have to say, at least, how many DF's Aryna will make.
Serious here: I am not sure. I say she drops the first set, then settles into the resignation of losing, and comes back. I mean Aryna.

by Liamvalid Sabalenka on again at a time I don’t be able to watch. Not seen her play a match this year so far

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:45 pm Sabalenka on again at a time I don’t be able to watch. Not seen her play a match this year so far
Are you a big Sabalenka fan? Ever watch replays or highlights?

by Liamvalid
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:04 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:45 pm Sabalenka on again at a time I don’t be able to watch. Not seen her play a match this year so far
I’m a fan, but not big enough to watch replays. Although from what you guys have been saying in here, watching her play is not for the feint hearted. I am intrigued though how she is pulling out the wins without a serve

by nelslus
Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 pm
I’m a fan, but not big enough to watch replays. Although from what you guys have been saying in here, watching her play is not for the feint hearted. I am intrigued though how she is pulling out the wins without a serve
....It helps that her opposition so far has been against Wang Xinyu and Storm Sanders. :gorgeous:

by dmforever
Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 pm
I only saw part of one of her matches so far, but the thing is, the serve comes and goes. So yeah, let's say she doubles. She still goes for her other serves. She has made the decision not to temper it. Maybe if she just spun it in, she'd lose the same number of service points as she's doing now with her double faults. Chris Evert was commentating and was saying how she needs to develop a more dependable (i.e. a bit slower, with more spin and margin) second serve. I'm not sure. Maybe she just needs to learn how to hit a hard second serve more consistently, if that's possible. But for sure, you need a good ticker to watch her matches.

by Suliso Conventional wisdom says Sabalenka goes down, but such predictions have been known to be premature...

by nelslus MANY players do go through the yips at some point in their careers. I've always said that clearly Sabalenka has the potential to win multiple singles Slam titles. Hard to think it can happen here. But, nuttier things have happened really, really recently in the tennis world.

I definitely do think that Chris is very correct with her comments. Obviously, it's a different tour now. But, I'd still recommend taking the advice of someone who won 18 singles Slam titles.- if you are losing, or almost losing matches because of multiple double faults, you need to find some other options- at least your best serves start working again

by nelslus BTW, it absolutely breaks my heart that Chris is battling ovarian cancer- which is what killed her younger sister Jeanne. She's stated that it looks like they caught this early. Still, this has just gutted me. The Old Girls (and Ashe and Borg) are who got me to love this game.

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:25 pm MANY players do go through the yips at some point in their careers. I've always said that clearly Sabalenka has the potential to win multiple singles Slam titles. Hard to think it can happen here. But, nuttier things have happened really, really recently in the tennis world.

I definitely do think that Chris is very correct with her comments. Obviously, it's a different tour now. But, I'd still recommend taking the advice of someone who won 18 singles Slam titles.- if you are losing, or almost losing matches because of multiple double faults, you need to find some other options- at least your best serves start working again
I wonder why she just does not start with second serves. Don't gun the first one.
I mean, it is not the most brilliant of all ideas, but it is simple and an easy plan to follow.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:55 pm
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:25 pm MANY players do go through the yips at some point in their careers. I've always said that clearly Sabalenka has the potential to win multiple singles Slam titles. Hard to think it can happen here. But, nuttier things have happened really, really recently in the tennis world.

I wonder why she just does not start with second serves. Don't gun the first one.
I mean, it is not the most brilliant of all ideas, but it is simple and an easy plan to follow.
And/or a 3/4 first serve- which would probably still be impactful, or at least a second serve she can depend on, if she wants to continue to bomb in the first serves.

by nelslus BTW- in live rankings- Osaka is now ranked #84, with Kenin at #94. :shock:

https://live-tennis.eu/en/wta-live-ranking

by martini4me After getting off to a 3-0 start, Daniel Collins has now lost four straight games, is down a break at 5-4, and is in fine petulant, very unlikeable form.

Plus, her annoying fans ( or is it her team--does she have any fans?) are loudly cheering every error by Tauson.

by meganfernandez
martini4me wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:53 am After getting off to a 3-0 start, Daniel Collins has now lost four straight games, is down a break at 5-4, and is in fine petulant, very unlikeable form.

Plus, her annoying fans ( or is it her team--does she have any fans?) are loudly cheering every error by Tauson.
Tauson definitely picked up her level.

by ponchi101 Collins is truly very hard to like, on court.
What would she and Giorgi sound like if they talked about tennis? "I hate this sport!", "No, I HATE this sport!!!"

by meganfernandez Kyrgios/Kokkinakis beat Mektic/Pavic

by ti-amie
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:07 am Nick and Kokkinakis beat Mektic/Pavic

by nelslus
martini4me wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:53 am After getting off to a 3-0 start, Daniel Collins has now lost four straight games, is down a break at 5-4, and is in fine petulant, very unlikeable form.

We've been watching this match (NOW off to RuPaul!!!!)- John more than me- and he said he saw some separate group of guys doing the obnoxious cheering. Although I suspect her clear boyfriend with the good yet creepily cut hair and team are adding to the annoyingness.

The sad thing for Ms. Inconsistency Collins is- I don't think Tauson even played as well as she can by any means (and Tauson was horrible in the first three games) in the first set- and she still won the first set 6-4. (*AND now, Tauson is up a break in the 2nd set....)

by ponchi101 Meanwhile, all of 5'4", 115 Lbs Tamara Zidansek is giving Cornet a very happy B'day, doing what big hitter Garbie could not.
The parity is so huge you need three decimal points to measure it (WTA only)
(I know she is not that small, but she looks that small).

by meganfernandez Collins clawed back from a break down in the 2nd to take it and hold to open the third. Might be Tauson's first three-setter at a Slam.

In the 4 Slams Tauson has played, she lost to the winner of the previous Slam twice (Krejcikova at Wimbledon and Barty at the US Open), Azarenka, or... Danielle Collins.

by ponchi101 Interesting piece of trivia, that last one.

by meganfernandez This Tauson-Collins battle... Tauson saved 3 match points to even the third at 5-5.

by JazzNU Collins should get so many more hinderance calls for her screaming than she does. Quiet as a church mouse suddenly.

by meganfernandez Collins' BH down the line really is a special shot, though.

by jazzyg Collins could bother Halep with her return of serve if they meet in the quarters.

Halep is playing well enough to win the tournament, but her weakest shot goes into Collins' best strength, and no one is more aggressive on returns.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:04 am Collins could bother Halep with her return of serve if they meet in the quarters.

Halep is playing well enough to win the tournament, but her weakest shot goes into Collins' best strength, and no one is more aggressive on returns.
Halep can't complain about the draw. But Kasatkina has had a good start to the year...

Meanwhile, Sabalenka only had 2 double-faults in her first game.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:44 am Collins should get so many more hinderance calls for her screaming than she does. Quiet as a church mouse suddenly.
Yes. She is one of those selective screamers, obviously doing it to bother the other player.
The way she screams when she wins a point makes me wonder what would happen if she were to win a slam. Would probably burst into spontaneous combustion.

by JTContinental Player-to-coach sightings:

Michael Russell coaching Taylor Fritz, Daniel Gimeno-Traver coaching Roberto Bautista Agut

So far, they've played 9 points and Fritz has hit 7 winners

by JTContinental A bagel for RBA in set 1

by ponchi101 I thought when Fritz was playing the ATP that he is playing so much better than as recent as one year. I am a bit surprised that he bagelled RBA, but I felt he was the favorite.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:36 am I thought when Fritz was playing the ATP that he is playing so much better than as recent as one year. I am a bit surprised that he bagelled RBA, but I felt he was the favorite.
Seemed like a toss-up to me, but I had no idea about RBA's current form.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:06 pm Expect Vondrousova to knock off Sabalenka...!
That's too easy a call :) You have to say, at least, how many DF's Aryna will make.
Serious here: I am not sure. I say she drops the first set, then settles into the resignation of losing, and comes back. I mean Aryna.
Almost agree..she win win the second then go crazy again in the third..should be fun!

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:43 am
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm
Almost agree..she win win the second then go crazy again in the third..should be fun!
Mostly right. I don't think Aryna was resigned to losing, though. The opposite - she fought. Gotta give it to her for winning three rounds serving so poorly. She served better this match, though. Rennae pronounced her serve yips to be over, Pam disagreed.

by Suliso As I wrote yesterday we were too quick writing off Sabalenka. Now someone will have to play really well to get past her.

by ti-amie I'm watching Cressy vs O'Connell. Watching Cressy playing serve and volley game is so weird. Right now he's up 4-2. I hope Ponchi can see the match.

Oh.. O'Connell has called for the trainer.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:11 am As I wrote yesterday we were too quick writing off Sabalenka. Now someone will have to play really well to get past her.
She even joked about her double faults in the on-court interview, so she is not seeing it as too terrible a problem. Kanepi is not an unsurmountable obstacle, and other than the serve, the rest of her game is clicking. She is absolutely creaming the ball. So yes, she will not be an easy out.

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:11 am As I wrote yesterday we were too quick writing off Sabalenka. Now someone will have to play really well to get past her.
^ Or she will self-destruct again, as she has a history of doing (long before the service 'yips' came along).
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:40 am I'm watching Cressy vs O'Connell. Watching Cressy playing serve and volley game is so weird. Right now he's up 4-2. I hope Ponchi can see the match.

Oh.. O'Connell has called for the trainer.
^ Ponchi's not the only one who misses the serve & volley game - I very much miss it, too - especially the contrast it provided to the baseline game.
I watch Cressy as much as I can now. He not only serves and volleys, but he also often chips and charges!
I hope he climbs high enough in the rankings to have an influence not only on other pro players, but also on the kids coming up.
Serve & volley is a very physical game, though...

by ti-amie I was posting the Day 7 OoP and looked up to watch a point. My first thought was "why is this guy playing like Sampras?"

The danger is that when he comes in he gets passed.

by ti-amie

by ashkor87
true.. glad to see, actually, that she is playing well..
I would guess Barty is going to win this thing..

by ti-amie

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 am I was posting the Day 7 OoP and looked up to watch a point. My first thought was "why is this guy playing like Sampras?"

Sampras was one of Cressy's influences, not surprisingly.
He played the Final vs. Nadal a week or so ago - and played really well in that final - 7-6, 7-5, Nadal, I think it was... He's rising pretty quickly in the rankings now, which is great. It remains to be seen if A) his success is due mostly to the novelty of his playing style, and if the advantage of that unconventional game will vanish once the players get used to playing him, and B) if serve & volley can survive as a viable style of play these days inside the top 30 in the rankings.

viewtopic.php?t=43&start=1680#p38145

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:20 am
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 am I was posting the Day 7 OoP and looked up to watch a point. My first thought was "why is this guy playing like Sampras?"

Sampras was one of Cressy's influences, not surprisingly.
He played the Final vs. Nadal a week or so ago - and played really well in that final - 7-6, 7-5, Nadal, I think it was... He's rising pretty quickly in the rankings now, which is great. It remains to be seen if A) his success is due mostly to the novelty of his playing style, and if the advantage of that unconventional game will vanish once the players get used to playing him, and B) if serve & volley can survive as a viable style of play these days inside the top 30 in the rankings.

viewtopic.php?t=43&start=1680#p38145

No lies seen.

They're playing a second set TB and O'Connell just broke him and is up 3-1.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:13 am
He could get defaulted and I wouldn't think it's too harsh based on his body of work. With the amount of OCC he's gotten in his career, any violation he gets is warranted.

by ti-amie Well that was interesting. O'Connell takes the second set 7-6(6)

by Deuce And Cressy came back from 2-4 down in the tiebreak to have a couple of set points to go up 2 sets to love...

It's not easy trying to watch 4 matches at once...

by ponchi101

Can't find it. Came here to the States on Wednesday, bought a HULU subscription, and ESPN+ is not showing it. I think (or I can't find it).
I saw bits of Creesy vs Nadal, and yes, he is serving and volleying. Mostly serving. I think he needs to anchor his BH volley but he is showing that it can be done.
About getting passed. Sampras said it: you will get passed. The question was: do you get passed MORE than you hit the winning volley. Sampras figured that he would win any match in which he would win 55% of his volleys. That is 45% losing. So, as a former S&V player, you just have to learn to live with that. You will get passed. Some of them will be spectacular. But you keep asking the question: can you pass me? If he answers it more than you can ask it, you lose. If not, you win.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:57 am
Can't find it. Came here to the States on Wednesday, bought a HULU subscription, and ESPN+ is not showing it. I think (or I can't find it).
It's there, look again. If you still can't find it, use this link.

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/ ... fb8cf6ac8d

ETA: And this is for everyone new to using ESPN+, if there's a match that should be on and you can't find it, scroll down slightly in the ESPN App to the Leagues section, click AO symbol for Aussie Open and use that section to scroll through the options available.

by JTContinental 74 winners for Fritz in that match--his career-high before tonight was 49

by Deuce Now that Paire has taken a set off of Tsitsipas, will he be content with having shown that he can play at this level, and go into the tank now?

It's not looking like it early in the 4th. Tsitsipas is angry and frustrated - and is showing it. That might actually be enough motivation for Benoit to keep playing - just to piss Stefanos off...

by Deuce Felix is cruising in the 2nd over Evans - Felix having won the 1st.

With Felix, you never know, though - he could just as easily lose the 3rd (and the 4th) as win it.

by JTContinental Cressy plays a similar style to me, only he is good :D

by ashkor87 Same here

by mick1303 I decided to watch Med-Kyrgios - the whole match rather than highlights. What can I say - Kyrgios is putrid. His antics have clear goals - not only distract his opponents but also buy him time to recover, because HE IS NOT FIT. I consider this a form of cheating.

by mick1303 Regarding "siyy" vs "booo" - there is a story that Iliad (ancient Greek piece of literature) was written not by the Homer we knew but by another ancient greek. Coincidentally his name was also "Homer" ))

by Deuce Significant surprise that Cilic is up 2 sets to love and a break on Rublev.

Not surprising that, after Cirstea won the opening set, Pavlyuchenkova won the 2nd. Cirstea often goes from hot to cold (and sometimes back to hot) within the same match. And Pavlyuchenkova is experienced enough to exploit that.
We'll see what the 3rd set has to offer...

by Deuce ... Or maybe Pavlyuchenkova doesn't know how to exploit her Cirstea's mental fragility.
I'm very surprised that it's Pavlyuchenkova who's choking away the 3rd set. 5- 1 Cirstea.
There's still time for Cirstea to blow it - and it's very possible that she will fall apart... but it doesn't look like Pavlyuchenkova will allow her do that - as, so far, she's insisting on falling apart herself.

Meanwhile on the other court, things are starting to come back to order, with Rublev rallying from a break down to win the 3rd set.
With Cilic the older of the two, I'd say Rublev's chances are pretty good now.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:04 am ...

It's there, look again. If you still can't find it, use this link.

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/ ... fb8cf6ac8d

ETA: And this is for everyone new to using ESPN+, if there's a match that should be on and you can't find it, scroll down slightly in the ESPN App to the Leagues section, click AO symbol for Aussie Open and use that section to scroll through the options available.
Ok, I found it. Saw the third set, but it was way too late here by then.
It was great to see somebody coming in. For such a tall guy, he is pretty agile at the net, and obviously has a big wing span. Having said that:
I can't imagine a worst frame for serve and volleying than a Babolat. Way too powerful, and the Aero is simply a catapult painted in yellow. But, he likes it, so what do I know?
And his BH volley needs a little work. Actually, I would say he needs to rotate his grip a tiny little bit. He is not volleying with a pure continental, he is slightly rotated to an eastern forehand grip. Just a tiny bit. But it takes a bit of pop of the backhand side.
But yes, give me somebody at the net all the time.

by Deuce I, too, was rather shocked that a serve & volley player - THE ONLY serve & volley player - is using a Babolat racquet.
During one of Cressy's matches recently, one of the commentators mentioned it, saying that Babolats are definitely not known for their good feel, and he would think that a serve & volley player would use a racquet known for its good feel, not a racquet known for its power like Babolats.
I could certainly identify with that, as I've never liked any Babolat frame that I've tried - I use 3 different (but similar) old Head frames that are known for their great feel. Of course, I don't serve & volley as much as I did when I was 25 years old, but you get used to a certain feel... To me, no Babolat frame I've ever tried had ANY feel - just way too stiff.

But, yes - if Cressy is ok with it, so be it.
I just hope that he gives himself the opportunity to try some frames known for their feel (not that there are many remaining today - 'feel' is something that is mostly linked to racquets from the '80s and '90s).
He should grab someone's Head PT57A (also known as the Pro Tour 630) on a practice court. That's a frame from the '90s that several Head players are using today under the current paint jobs. If he does try one, he may never go back.