With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

2024 AO Survivor Pool: WTA Picks and Results Summary

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

texasniteowl

Re: 2024 AO Survivor Pool: WTA Picks and Results Summary

Post by texasniteowl »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:12 am Martic: Plays Tomljanovic in front of a hostile crowd. You've been burned too many times by Cirstea, I guess, and sought refuge here.
Well, yes, I HAVE been burned by Cirstea.

And yes, Tomljanovic will be the crowd favorite.

But...Tomljanovic didn't play for nearly a year from injury. She did win a 125 back in November, but during the United Cup she went 1-3, with her win against a player ranked 180. In theory, Martic should have the edge. And I don't expect either one to advance any farther.

Could this pick go very wrong? Sure. But there were others I didn't want to pick because it was too early (Azarenka for 1) or because I wasn't convinced how they would come out and play. (Let's be honest, we never know what Sloane Stephens will do these days for example.)
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:08 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:12 am Martic: Plays Tomljanovic in front of a hostile crowd. You've been burned too many times by Cirstea, I guess, and sought refuge here.
Well, yes, I HAVE been burned by Cirstea.

And yes, Tomljanovic will be the crowd favorite.

But...Tomljanovic didn't play for nearly a year from injury. She did win a 125 back in November, but during the United Cup she went 1-3, with her win against a player ranked 180. In theory, Martic should have the edge. And I don't expect either one to advance any farther.

Could this pick go very wrong? Sure. But there were others I didn't want to pick because it was too early (Azarenka for 1) or because I wasn't convinced how they would come out and play. (Let's be honest, we never know what Sloane Stephens will do these days for example.)
did I pick on you again? Sorry!! I promise I'm not checking to see who's making which picks, unless something really unusual catches my eye. Good explanation! Hardly any pick ever feels "safe" to me. It's so easy to judge other people's picks. I quite enjoy it. :)
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:24 am did I pick on you again?
🤣 yes, stop that!

seriously, at least I wasn't alone yesterday in picking Hunter. But I am alone today in picking Martic. I also don't know anything about Burel other than seeing her name in draws.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

@meganfernandez your style is refreshing..normally the admin doesn't comment on people's picks early in the day .I like it, generates discussion..which is what this tat is about anyway.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

@meganfernandez your style is refreshing..normally the admin doesn't comment on people's picks early in the day .I like it, generates discussion..which is what this tat is about anyway.

Post by meganfernandez »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:33 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:24 am did I pick on you again?
🤣 yes, stop that!

seriously, at least I wasn't alone yesterday in picking Hunter. But I am alone today in picking Martic. I also don't know anything about Burel other than seeing her name in draws.
One of the pundits tweeted something glowing about Burel recently and it caught my attention. Everything I wrote, I looked up. Martic is usually a solid early-round pick, but she has knocked me out before.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:38 am @meganfernandez your style is refreshing..normally the admin doesn't comment on people's picks early in the day .I like it, generates discussion..which is what this tat is about anyway.
Thanks. I love nothing more than procrastinating on work with tennis stuff.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Too superstitious to post before my pick is through!! Don't want to jinx her
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:28 am Too superstitious to post before my pick is through!! Don't want to jinx her
there! if jinxed Cirstea just by picking her.. after being up 6-0,3-0 she lost!

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:42 am
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:28 am Too superstitious to post before my pick is through!! Don't want to jinx her
there! if jinxed Cirstea just by picking her.. after being up 6-0,3-0 she lost!
Unbelievable! This is a new low even for Cirstea standards. The SP fates are merciless today. So sorry. Join me in the Losers Lounge!
weefunk United States of America

Post by weefunk »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:12 am
Collins: Imagine picking a recent finalist to beat a former champion in round 1! Do you also fight bears? Do you like polar plunges? It might work out - after all, Kerber let herself get bageled by Sakkari at the United Cup - but Collins isn't in the business of winning matches these days. Apropos of nothing, Collins is wearing blousy pink ruffled shorts. I sewed a pair like this in home-ec class in 1986.
I will admit, I'm not a Collins fan, and that outfit did not help matters. All I could think of was "baby romper".

I've been enjoying your comments. I was bounced out from both the WTA and ATP pools today, so reading critiques of everyone's picks will be the extent of my participation going forward. Thanks for the laughs.

Post by meganfernandez »

weefunk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:39 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:12 am
Collins: Imagine picking a recent finalist to beat a former champion in round 1! Do you also fight bears? Do you like polar plunges? It might work out - after all, Kerber let herself get bageled by Sakkari at the United Cup - but Collins isn't in the business of winning matches these days. Apropos of nothing, Collins is wearing blousy pink ruffled shorts. I sewed a pair like this in home-ec class in 1986.
I will admit, I'm not a Collins fan, and that outfit did not help matters. All I could think of was "baby romper".

I've been enjoying your comments. I was bounced out from both the WTA and ATP pools today, so reading critiques of everyone's picks will be the extent of my participation going forward. Thanks for the laughs.
I"m glad my completely baseless options have some value to you. :) Thanks for reading and playing!
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Well, my Martic-Tomljanovic match is finally in session. 5-5 1st set. I can only score watch since ESPN is running Alcaraz-Gasquet.

Post by meganfernandez »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:08 am Well, my Martic-Tomljanovic match is finally in session. 5-5 1st set. I can only score watch since ESPN is running Alcaraz-Gasquet.
No ESPN Plus? Ajla just hit an amazing, dipping crosscourt passing shot to get one of the 2 breaks back in the second. She has some momentum and Martic is making more errors now. I think Ajla just won 6 of the last 7 points. Both players have only two holds between them in the 2nd set, I think.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:08 am Well, my Martic-Tomljanovic match is finally in session. 5-5 1st set. I can only score watch since ESPN is running Alcaraz-Gasquet.
I'd prefer that but they now switched to Pegula match