Horse Racing Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Horse Racing Random

Post by ponchi101 »

That is sad.
What is the normal longevity for horses? I don't know if 24 is a long life in equine terms.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:39 am That is sad.
What is the normal longevity for horses? I don't know if 24 is a long life in equine terms.
1997 Kentucky Derby winner, Silver Charm, is 28 and doing well at Old Friends Farm after he was retired from stud.

A. P. Indy, probably the greatest sire of the last 2 decades, lived to be 31 before he died in 2020. I believe he stopped servicing mares shortly after he turned 20.

Meanwhile, Tapit, a paternal grandson of A. P. Indy who never won a Triple Crown race but won the Wood Memorial, is 21 and still commands a $185,000 stud fee.

But some horses die fairly young. For example, the great Arrogate died when he was only 7 after siring only one full crop of foals and part of another. His last foals are yearlings now.

Mares tend to live as long as male horses, but they're not always as able to keep producing foals as long as stallions can sire them.

Generally, 20 years is a good life for a horse. 30 is exceptional.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Apprentice jockey Abdul Alsagoor scored his first win today at Santa Anita. His story is a tough one to read (https://www.paulickreport.com/features/ ... come-true/). But he persevered, and today it finally paid off.

And you all know what your first win gets you...

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

It's official. Medina Spirit has been disqualified from his win in the 2021 Kentucky Derby.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... _Derby_123
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Better late than never?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:18 pm It's official. Medina Spirit has been disqualified from his win in the 2021 Kentucky Derby.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... _Derby_123
Ridiculous that it took so long that Medina Spirit has actually passed away in the meantime. No one is going to remember the declared winner with this amount of time between race and disqualification.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

The whole thing is sad. I feel badly for the people who bred Medina Spirit, let him go at auction for $1000, and then THOUGHT they had bred a Derby winner. They didn't do anything wrong.

Meanwhile, I can report that a lawsuit has been filed by the people who bet Mandaloun in the Derby. They want their payout. It won't happen, but still... Some of those folks bet thousands on him. (More money than sense.)
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

On a more positive note, this marks the first time in the history of the Kentucky Derby that a stallion--Into Mischief--sired consecutive winners. And he is very well-represented among the present 2022 3-year-old crop of contenders.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Both Unconscious and Cryptic Creed raced today at Gulfstream. Both won for their new connections/new jockeys (Jose Ortiz and Edwin Gonzalez, respectively). Both were dropping in class (down from $16000 to $12500 claiming price). Neither was claimed. Both races were on the synthetic.

Unconscious won her 5-furlong race leading gate to wire and finished 3 1/2 lengths ahead of second best. So her next race will be her first against other winners. She also improved her speed figure compared to her previous race, same distance (up from 48 to 71). Here's the chart of her race: https://www.equibase.com/static/chart/p ... 22USA1.pdf.

Cryptic Creed sat off the pace for most of his race, found room shortly after the turn, burst through a small seam, and finished the best of the lot, winning by a neck. His race was a mile and 70 yards. And here's the chart for his race: https://www.equibase.com/static/chart/p ... 22USA6.pdf.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Man - there isn't a lot of coverage in the "off-season" - I didn't hear about the (no longer funky nor cold) Medina report until reading this thread
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

In other news, Bold Article won her second race in a row yesterday at Golden Gate going gate to wire at the $12,500 claiming level. She's now won three or her last four races and three of her six races on the synthetic at Golden Gate. All three of Bold Article's win have been with rider Evin Roman aboard. She also posted her fasted Equibase speed figure ever at 85. She was claimed by a trainer I've never heard of--O. J. Jauregui. But that's probably my fault because they earned over $700K in purse money in 2021--by far their most successful year--most of it at Golden Gate. So Bold Article will be staying put. It wouldn't surprise me if he bumps her up to a $15K or $20K claiming level in her next out.

Another fun fact... Bold Article is rapidly closing in on $100K in career earnings ($91,550 to be precise).
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I owe you all some races.

Here is Bold Article's latest win.... She's the #1 horse. For the record, Matt Dinerman is as good a race caller who exists. He'll end up at a bigger track soon.

I still don't know why she was so wide on the first turn, but it didn't matter.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Here is Unconscious' race from 2/24. She's also the #1 horse. Gate to wire.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

And here is Cryptic Creed's race. Also the #1 horse. He sat off the pace and pounced. Unlike Unconscious and the new version of Bold Article, Cryptic Creed has NO early speed. As hard as I was on him in his original race, it's astounding that he is now a two-time winner.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Meanwhile, I would be remiss if I didn't post the result of the 2022 Rebel Stakes--a prep for the Kentucky Derby.

It was won by a horse with one eye--Un Ojo. At 75/1.:) Most importantly, he dusted the Baffert horse, Newgrange.