With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

NBA 2022-23 Season

And other things related to basketball

League's MVP. 22-23

Jokic. Best player in the best team of the west
38%
Giannis. Best player in the best (?) team of the east.
8%
Embid. Leader of a serious contender.
13%
Jayson Tatum. Leader of a serious contender.
38%
Lebron. Because he is Lebron
No votes
Lillard. Because if you score 71 points in one game...
No votes
Donovan Mitchel. As above.
No votes
Luka. He does wonders.
4%
Ja. Leading the Grizzlies
No votes
OTHER.
No votes

Total votes: 24

Fastbackss United States of America

Re: NBA 2022-23 Season

Post by Fastbackss »

Wow, miss a few hours and all that happened? Yeesh.

And why is that a picture of Jimmy Butler
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:43 pm And he is in the same team as Metcalf? Because I know Pujols is another physical monster, but these teams are very uneven.
(Ok, they have Hassan Minhaj, but who can stop Metcalf from scoring?)
I definitely don't know all of these people, but I don't think they are wildly uneven though I did think Dwyane's team had more of an advantage based on these lineups. I think Calvin will be on DK if necessary.

Post by JazzNU »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:15 am
And why is that a picture of Jimmy Butler
Just a popular meme for absolutely exhausted.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:44 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:43 pm And he is in the same team as Metcalf? Because I know Pujols is another physical monster, but these teams are very uneven.
(Ok, they have Hassan Minhaj, but who can stop Metcalf from scoring?)
I definitely don't know all of these people, but I don't think they are wildly uneven though I did think Dwyane's team had more of an advantage based on these lineups. I think Calvin will be on DK if necessary.
Ok, that made me feel better. I hardly know anybody.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:49 pm
Ok, that made me feel better. I hardly know anybody.

I think it's because it's in Salt Lake. It's not like it's typically a list of heavy hitters, but this is particularly underwhelming from a name recognition standpoint. NBA All Star weekend is an event that most are looking to attend and have fun at. That goes for both celebrities and fans. But in Salt Lake? That's a no, especially for black people (for many of us, it's more like a hell no). And they've got fairly strict alcohol laws in Utah. Their marijuana laws are antiquated. So I'm guessing the invites were turned down more this year than in others from all because it's outwardly at least, not appearing like it's possible to be the same level of fun party atmosphere it typically is.

Also, they usually pull from other local pro sports teams and I think SLC only has a MLS team. And then they'll pull in people from the host city. But who is from SLC or even Utah? It's not just Steve Young, Zach Wilson, and the Osmonds, but it's not a long list that'd be a big attraction either for NBA fans.

BUT, I think some of the people that are lesser stars might be able to actually play basketball. There's an actor there that I'm sure played college basketball, one of those guys is a Peloton instructor that I have to assume can play. And as bizarre as I find it, Peloton instructors have become minor celebrities. Go figure.

Arike and Diamond will no doubt still have to carry their teams.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I very much would want to visit to Utah for few weeks. For the fantastic nature not to see all the religious weirdos of course. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The religious weirdos are all in SLC. The rest of the state, especially around the border with Colorado, is very liberal.
I have done ARCHES and CANYONLAND, the two national parks to the south. They are wonderful, and the nearest town (Moab) is gorgeous. As you, I want to return to do Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I've been to about dozen national parks in US. Liked them all, but have never been to Utah or Colorado...

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:25 pm The religious weirdos are all in SLC. The rest of the state, especially around the border with Colorado, is very liberal.
I have done ARCHES and CANYONLAND, the two national parks to the south. They are wonderful, and the nearest town (Moab) is gorgeous. As you, I want to return to do Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef.
I'm not sure why that's your impression. Mormons are still all over that state. SLC has less Mormons now than it used to. Areas near Provo (where BYU is) and Ogden are still grand majority Mormon among others.

And how are areas "very liberal" while voting for the current Republican party? And the Colorado side of most of that Utah-Colorado border is the area Lauren Boebert represents. Wondering what county or area you're talking about that would be considered very liberal.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:07 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:25 pm The religious weirdos are all in SLC. The rest of the state, especially around the border with Colorado, is very liberal.
I'm not sure why that's your impression. Mormons are still all over that state. SLC has less Mormons now than it used to. Areas near Provo (where BYU is) and Ogden are still grand majority Mormon among others.

And how are areas "very liberal" while voting for the current Republican party? And the Colorado side of most of that Utah-Colorado border is the area Lauren Boebert represents. Wondering what county or area you're talking about that would be considered very liberal.
The areas I have been to. Moab is a very liberal town, with people smoking pot openly. LGBTQ friendly. The Castle Rock area is also very open.
Indeed, forgot about BYU and those sections. You make a point there.
My point: it is a very beautiful state. I would still not move there.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That Slam Dunk contest role: Maybe time to retire that competition? It is not as if any big star is competing.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:56 pm
The areas I have been to. Moab is a very liberal town, with people smoking pot openly. LGBTQ friendly. The Castle Rock area is also very open.
Indeed, forgot about BYU and those sections. You make a point there.
My point: it is a very beautiful state. I would still not move there.
Ahh, I see. Could be a difference with how things are in SA, but LGBTQ friendly doesn't necessarily mean liberal. Unlikely to be far right, but not necessarily liberal. Pot smoking can be the same, especially that close to Colorado and their lenient recreational marijuana laws. Not saying Moab isn't liberal, but those two things alone don't tell me a ton. Orange County, CA is the best example of those two things not necessarily going hand in hand.

Been hearing about it for all the wrong reasons as of late, but Moab looks like a beautiful area.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:58 pm That Slam Dunk contest role: Maybe time to retire that competition? It is not as if any big star is competing.
Can't blame them either. I've heard more fan talk about getting rid of it than I've heard there been more of an official push to end it. I've seen some revamped ideas as well that are interesting, but most don't resemble the current format of the contest.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is, by now there is so very little you can do that it is truly new. The impressive dunks in real games are when somebody posterizes somebody else (ala Ja) or when somebody does a pretty alley-oop combo.
But we may have seen it all.