With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Hello Dante? What Level Is This?

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Hello Dante? What Level Is This?

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I've never seen smoke this thick in NY, if you have breathing issue, you're definitely feeling it.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:13 pm I know it used to be the case in Canada, at least in Quebec, that when it snowed it was left to melt until spring. How were these fires left to burn for so long? I know most of them were caused by lightning but how have they gone on for so long? I started smelling smoke in the air last Saturday night.
It's not the same fires. The first fires were in Nova Scotia, and they started 10 days ago, and then a week ago fires started in Quebec, and now in Ontario. In the mean time we haven't had significant rain during that period to wash the smoke out of the air, and the blocking pattern of warm air in the west is causing the smoke to circulate around the Northern US, and Eastern Canada.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The only reason they close NYC schools is because of a blizzard or a hurricane.
By Justine McDaniel
General Assignment reporter
New York City Public Schools will operate remotely on Friday, the district announced. Only some schools were scheduled to be in session; those that are will provide virtual instruction for students. The rest have a previously scheduled clerical day, and staff will work remotely.

The district also worked remotely Thursday, which was a scheduled day off for students.
via Washigton Post

Also, The NY Racing Authority has cancelled all races today. The Belmont Stakes is scheduled for Saturday.

The sun was out but now there's this eerie twilight.

Washington DC is on a purple alert for their air quality, or lack thereof.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Some more images

Buildings in the Philadelphia skyline shrouded in smoke from Canada wildfires in Camden, New Jersey, US, on Thursday, June 8, 2023. The US Northeast will continue to breathe in choking smoke from fires across eastern Canada for the next few days, raising health alarms across impacted areas. Photographer: Hannah Beier/Bloomberg (Hannah Beier/Bloomberg News)

Fire risk in Canada as of June 8. (Natural Resources Canada)

The Washington Monument is obscured by smoke from Canadian wildfires as groups gather near the U.S. Capitol Reflecting Pool on Thursday. (Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post)

The Pentagon, made hazy by wildfire smoke, as seen from the air on Thursday in Arlington. (Carolyn Van Houten/The Washington Post)

Smoke from Canadian wildfires casts a haze over the Mall, enveloping the Washington Monument and other landmarks, on Wednesday. (Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

How bad has the wildfire smoke been in your area? Use this tool to find out.
By Veronica Penney, Niko Kommenda, Naema Ahmed and John Muyskens
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I know, I know, I know. This is indeed a disaster, but...
Some of the shots are beautiful. Pardon the superficiality (and I hope everybody affected is doing well).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

You were saying Ponchi? One of the most beautiful pictures I've seen of either the Brooklyn Bridge or Manhattan Bridge (?) and yet so deadly.

Juan Arredondo for the NY Times

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

You can just read the live chyron/crawl.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:58 pm I have "followed" Tiny since the 80's, when Doonesbury started covering his charade. And I have always wondered what is it that people see in him. He is truly a bag of the worst qualities a human being can be. And yet, he swoons large crowds. He has gotten away with anything and everything always. And I have always wondered: why can't people see what I, a damn foreigner that has not dog in this fight, can so easily detect?
And I draw a blank. Then again, I always asked the same question about Chavez. Why were so many people not able to see the real person?
Guess that is the reason I am an emigrant.
People who always felt guilty about their own racism, their xenophobia, misogyny, felt empowered because Trump made it ok to be all that ..simple as that..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:45 pm
Kenndy is a hero in the loony circles. He "exposes the truth". My loony friend N told me he would buy me Kennedy's book, so I could learn. I told him I felt that Kennedy was a quack, and it seems that that was the end of a friendship (from his side, not mine).
The cults. Once you question their leaders(s), they simply can't be with you. I find it sad.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem