Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

The time difference has been too much for me but I have been closely following the tournament on #sportsmastodon.

Some smaller countries did very well and that was good to see. When the US crashed out you would've thought it was the end of the world.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:13 pm Also Colombia bigger than Spain now.
You mean population wise? Sure, that is a fact.
Is Colombia bigger than Spain in Football?
I know, you are right, these two have never won the cup. But to say that Spain and England are not powerhouses simply because their women have never won the cup is a bit too much. Those two countries breath and bleed football.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I've notice that women sprinters/runners congratulate each other at the end of the race and will happily celebrate someone in their race breaking a record of some sort. The men just ignore each other. I guess it's not masculine enough to congratulate another male that beat you. Just a little observation.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Owendonovan wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:07 am I've notice that women sprinters/runners congratulate each other at the end of the race and will happily celebrate someone in their race breaking a record of some sort. The men just ignore each other. I guess it's not masculine enough to congratulate another male that beat you. Just a little observation.
I don't think that's true. Athletes at the end of the events generally congratulate everyone in their heat, and particularly after the final. Look at what happens at the end of the decathlon when all the athletes from the decathlon take a victory lap.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And you missed Carlitos/Tommy yesterday, walking together and chatting on their way to the locker room during one of the rain breaks.
On the opposite side: I forget the year, but remember the infamous photo of all the women at one YEC with all of them talking on their smartphone and not talking to each other? Serena, Sharapova, Aggie, and the other five.
It depends on the group, I guess.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:32 pm And you missed Carlitos/Tommy yesterday, walking together and chatting on their way to the locker room during one of the rain breaks.
On the opposite side: I forget the year, but remember the infamous photo of all the women at one YEC with all of them talking on their smartphone and not talking to each other? Serena, Sharapova, Aggie, and the other five.
It depends on the group, I guess.
It's posted elsewhere on the site but I thought I'd post it here. :)

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I'm way behind due to a busy week at work, but just finished watching the semifinals. Both great drama filled matches and looking forward to the final.
:steven:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Watching England vs Spain..amazing how good they are.
Speed, ball control.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Spain much the better team thus far..20 mins to go

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Jenni Hermoso 'didn't consent' to Luis Rubiales kiss as Spain players refuse to play

Jenni Hermoso says she did not consent to be kissed by Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales - as 81 players confirm they will not play for Spain's national team until he is removed from his post.

Rubiales has refused to resign after kissing forward Hermoso on the lips following Spain's Women's World Cup final win over England in Sydney.

The Spanish government started legal proceedings seeking to suspend the 46-year-old, while Fifa has also launched disciplinary proceedings.

Rubiales had been widely expected to resign at an extraordinary general assembly called by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), but instead said "I don't deserve this manhunt".

He added: "It was a spontaneous kiss. Mutual, euphoric and consensual. That's the key. A consensual 'peck' is enough to get me out of here?"

But a statement released by players' union Futpro included quotes from Pachuca's Hermoso, which read: "I want to clarify, that at no time did I consent to the kiss. I don't tolerate that my word is questioned, much less that words are invented that I haven't said."

The statement was signed by a host of players, including all 23 members of the squad which just won the World Cup.

It read: "After everything that happened during the delivery of medals of the Women's World Cup, we want to state that all the players who sign this letter will not return to a call for the national team if the current leaders continue."

Spain's next game is against Sweden in the Nations League on 22 September.

Borja Iglesias, who plays for Real Betis, said earlier on Friday he would not play for the men's national team again while Rubiales is in charge.

The Spanish government will ask Rubiales to explain himself to a Spanish court as soon as possible, secretary of sport Victor Francos said earlier on Friday.

If the administrative court deems he violated the professional sports code, he could then be suspended.

Meanwhile, Fifa will look at whether his actions constitute violations of Article 13 in its disciplinary code, concerning offensive behaviour and fair play.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66621772

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

FIFA is going to check what now? :lol:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

FIFA will check how much money can be made out of this, or how much money Rubiales generates for them.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

He's refused to resign and now they're investigating Ms Hermoso for something or another.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:08 am He's refused to resign and now they're investigating Ms Hermoso for something or another.
The Spanish Football Federation has threatened to sue Hermoso for her claims which they say are lies, and the other players who are refusing to play for the national team.