AUS A. Popyrin vs TPE C. Tseng
AUS J. Kubler vs SWE M. Ymer
USA M. Giron vs USA F. Tiafoe [22]

SRB M. Kecmanovic [32] vs USA L. Tien
JPN T. Daniel vs FRA R. Gasquet
ITA F. Fognini vs RUS A. Karatsev
AUS R. Hijikata vs ESP R. Nadal [2]

by meganfernandez Top half is loaded.

The Rafa section will be empty if he withdraws. Big chance for Tiafoe or Kecmanovic.

Kyrgios and Kokkinakis R1

Some potential week-1 matchups:
Coric-Alcaraz R3
Murray-Berrettini R3 (optimistic for Murray, maybe both)
Medvedev-Shelton R3
Medvedev-Kyrgios R4
Fritz-Paul R4

by dryrunguy I was wondering which seed Andy Murray would draw. :roll:

by Deuce Rinky gets Nadal...
Hey... welcome to the big leagues!

by AcesAnnie I am an OTHER candidate in the POLL. Going with Hubie Hurkacz to raise the USO trophy. Really looks like it will come down to him and Nadal in the SF.

by JTContinental Sock/Schwartzmann seems like an upset special

by jazzyg I don't really believe in my pick and don't pull for him often, but I'm nearly certain one of the people on this list will win, so what the heck.

I'd certainly take Nadal, Alcaraz, Medvedev and Kyrgios and give everyone else the field.

by ponchi101
JTContinental wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:33 pm Sock/Schwartzmann seems like an upset special
I did not notice that one. Yes, I don't see Diego being able to handle that power at the moment.

by AcesAnnie Here is my breakdown of each quarter

Top Half
Medvedev(1)
Kyrgios(23)
Carreno Busta(12)
Auger-Aliassime(6)
Tsitsipas(4)
Cerundelo(24)
Fritz(10)
Korda

Bottom Half
Hurkacz(8)
Sinner(11)
Evans(20)
Coric(25)
Norrie(7)
Rublev(9)
Tiafoe(22)
Nadal(2)

by atlpam I can’t go with other as I think it will be someone on this list. Tsitsipas’ time? I guess we’ll see.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by LilMissBubbles {color=#FFFFFF].[/color}

by skatingfan First Major (6)
Ben Shelton, United States of America (19)
Wu Yibing, People's Republic of China (22) - 2017 Junior US Open Singles & Doubles Winner
Emilio Nava, United States of America (20)
Gijs Brouwer, Netherlands (26)
Learner Tien, United States of America (16)
Rinky Hijikata, Australia (21)

First US Open (20)
Nuno Borges, Portugal (25)
Alejandro Tabilo, Chile (25)
Hugo Gaston, France (21)
Jiri Lehecka, Czechia (20)
Jack Draper, Great Britain (20)
Alexander Ritschard, Switzerland (28)
Benjamin Bonzi, France (26)
Daniel Elahi Galan, Colombia (26)
Tomas Martin Etcheverry (23)
Brandon Holt, United States of America (24) - Tracy Austen's son
Pedro Cachin, Argentina (27)
Tomas Machac, Czech Republic (21)
Zhang Zhizhen, People's Republic of China (25)
Tim van Rijthoven, netherlands (25)
Pavel Kotov, Russian Federation (23)
Daniel Altmaier, Germany (23)
Enzo Couacaud, France (27)
Sebastian Baez, United States of America (21)
Marc-Andrea Husler, Switzerland (26)
Tseng Chun-hsin, Chinese Taipei (21)

by LilMissBubbles {color=#FFFFFF].[/color}

by ashkor87
LilMissBubbles wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:05 pm If Nadal does not withdraw from the tournament, then I see a Medvedev and Nadal final. If he does withdraw, then Sinner could take advantage of that bottom half and advance to the final against Medvedev.
i concur

by skatingfan I don't see Medvedev making the final.

by jazzyg I don't see Tsitsipas as a contender to win. He did not even play well in his win over Medvedev in Cincy. It was a terrible match.

I credit Tsitsipas for his all-around ability and will power, but his level has dropped off since his RG loss to Djokovic.

by skatingfan
jazzyg wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:23 pm I don't see Tsitsipas as a contender to win. He did not even play well in his win over Medvedev in Cincy. It was a terrible match.

I credit Tsitsipas for his all-around ability and will power, but his level has dropped off since his RG loss to Djokovic.
There were times in the final against Coric when he clearly wasn't trying on some points.

by ti-amie Interesting posts by a man who runs a podcast about the ATP Challenger Tour

P1

by ti-amie P2/L

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:23 pm I don't see Tsitsipas as a contender to win. He did not even play well in his win over Medvedev in Cincy. It was a terrible match.
Weird, I thought it was a good match and Tsitsipas played some of his most inspired tennis in a long time.

by jazzyg Yes, you and I also have differing opinions about Medvedev, too.

I believe he is a contender, but I don't like how far he stands behind the baseline without having the topspin to make that position work. Guys are starting to realize they can attack him at the net, but it takes talent like Tsitsipas has to make it pay off. Watching that match, I was positive Tsitsipas would go down in straights to the hot-serving Coric without raising his level.

As for Tsitsipas, his return of serve stinks. It's the least-talked-about, most important shot on hard courts, and he puts himself in constant trouble by missing returns or hitting them short. Hard to win titles that way. They had a graphic during Cincinnati that showed how much of a higher percentage of returns he made on clay than on hard courts, which is why his best results have come on clay.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:05 pm Yes, you and I also have differing opinions about Medvedev, too.

I believe he is a contender, but I don't like how far he stands behind the baseline without having the topspin to make that position work. Guys are starting to realize they can attack him at the net, but it takes talent like Tsitsipas has to make it pay off. Watching that match, I was positive Tsitsipas would go down in straights to the hot-serving Coric without raising his level.

As for Tsitsipas, his return of serve stinks. It's the least-talked-about, most important shot on hard courts, and he puts himself in constant trouble by missing returns or hitting them short. Hard to win titles that way. They had a graphic during Cincinnati that showed how much of a higher percentage of returns he made on clay than on hard courts, which is why his best results have come on clay.
You definitely have far superior analytical skill than I do. :) I'll pay attention to Tsitsipas's return next time I watch him. I love this kind of insight from you.

Regarding Med and his position behind the baseline not working - it has worked, right? I figured guys always knew they could attack that position, but Medvedev simply wins that battle. Why do you think that won't keep working? And Nadal didn't attack the net - that's not how he beat Medvedev in Melbourne, was it? Maybe it helped Kyrgios. He seems to win a lot of points us there vs Medvedev, but that's best of 3.

by jazzyg Your analytical skills are quite good actually. For starters, you were so right a few years ago that Sabalenka was not ready to win a slam at the time when I was all over her chances.

Medvedev is very talented, but he lost to Djokovic indoors late last year because Djokovic started serving and volleying, Kyrgios employed the same tactic in Canada, and Tsitsipas got to the net a lot in Cincinnati. Medvedev has won only one tournament all year, so he is not having as much success as he did last year.

As for that Aussie final against Nadal, we'll disagree about this to the end of the earth, but Medvedev lost that because he outright choked and let the crowd get to him. Nadal did not win that match. Medvedev lost it. Getting distracted during matches is another of his weaknesses, and it is one reason his record against Nadal is so poor. He was up something like 5-1 in the decisive set a few year ago at the year-end Masters and found a way to lose. There are many things I like about Medvedev, but I find his overall demeanor a little distasteful. I can't stand it when players go off on their coaches during matches as if whatever is happening is the coach's fault. There is a immaturity to Medvedev at his core.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:24 pm Your analytical skills are quite good actually. For starters, you were so right a few years ago that Sabalenka was not ready to win a slam at the time when I was all over her chances.

Medvedev is very talented, but he lost to Djokovic indoors late last year because Djokovic started serving and volleying, Kyrgios employed the same tactic in Canada, and Tsitsipas got to the net a lot in Cincinnati. Medvedev has won only one tournament all year, so he is not having as much success as he did last year.

As for that Aussie final against Nadal, we'll disagree about this to the end of the earth, but Medvedev lost that because he outright choked and let the crowd get to him. Nadal did not win that match. Medvedev lost it. Getting distracted during matches is another of his weaknesses, and it is one reason his record against Nadal is so poor. He was up something like 5-1 in the decisive set a few year ago at the year-end Masters and found a way to lose. There are many things I like about Medvedev, but I find his overall demeanor a little distasteful. I can't stand it when players go off on their coaches during matches as if whatever is happening is the coach's fault. There is a immaturity to Medvedev at his core.
I'm flattered you remember my Sabalenka outrage of January 2019. That was less analytical and more about the whims of tennis fans/media to pick a new name without appreciation for Slam experience and bonafides. There were like 15 or so Slam winners in the draw, so the Sabalenka pick was nonsensical to me (she had only won 4 slam matches at that point - 3 R1 losses, 1 R2 loss, and a R4 run at the US Open the year before, as part of that blazing late summer/fall). Ended up being Osaka vs Kvitova in the final, two proven Slam champs. I've been proven wrong about experience in the last few years, but I still think it has a lot of value. Which is why I am high on Garcia right now and still high on Sabalenka.

I believe you that Medvedev lost the Aussie final to a degree. Not sure how many opponents could have taken advantage in the situation like Rafa did, so against anyone else it might not have gone down as a choke. Maybe Rafa makes you choke more so than most opponents. That kind of thing? But very good point about Medvedev's concentration. I wouldn't have thought that because he seems to manage matches better than almost anyone and have otherworldly confidence. But you could be right!

by jazzyg For all his mental strength--and he will probably deservedly go down as the strongest mental player ever--Rafa had not come back from two sets down to win a match in more than 10 year. On the few times he is getting comprehensively beaten, he has shown much less ability to recover than Djokovic. He actually played very well in the fourth and fifth sets against Medvedev, but in my view, he looked and acted as if he were a beaten man midway through that third set. Djokovic for sure would have finished him off. Medvedev chose to get angry at the crowd after blowing an 0-40 lead for what would have been a break in the third set.

It's funny. I singled out Medvedev as my favorite of all the young players a few years ago and the guy with the most potential. Then he achieved all of that and more, and I soured on him a bit to the point I now feel he is overrated. We shall see. He still remains on my list of four-or-so favorites to win this.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:38 pm For all his mental strength--and he will probably deservedly go down as the strongest mental player ever--Rafa had not come back from two sets down to win a match in more than 10 year. On the few times he is getting comprehensively beaten, he has shown much less ability to recover than Djokovic. He actually played very well in the fourth and fifth sets against Medvedev, but in my view, he looked and acted as if he were a beaten man midway through that third set. Djokovic for sure would have finished him off. Medvedev chose to get angry at the crowd after blowing an 0-40 lead for what would have been a break in the third set.

It's funny. I singled out Medvedev as my favorite of all the young players a few years ago and the guy with the most potential. Then he achieved all of that and more, and I soured on him a bit to the point I now feel he is overrated. We shall see. He still remains on my list of four-or-so favorites to win this.
You're just trying to get ahead of the Medvedev fatigue. :)

by ti-amie Interesting point(s) about Medvedev and concentration.

Watching Ben Shelton today I thought that as he ages his focus/concentration will improve. I thought the five set format after doing well in hard court warmups might be a bit much for him and there were times in the match when he was in a position to press Borges and didn't. Recognizing when you've got your opponent on the ropes and upping your game is important to winning at the pro level no?

Anyway not a big fan of Medvedev but I loved the discussion between you two. Thanks.

by ponchi101 Recognizing you have your opponent on the ropes is important, but it cuts both ways. Players that are on the ropes also can see it, and maybe will play better.
Paraphrasing Roddick: you have your opponent on the ropes and you hit too hard and out? You are reckless. You have him on the ropes and you play conservative? You did not go for it.
Tough sport.
Anyway, there is a reason why he is still only Ben Shelton, "potential" good player.

by texasniteowl So, I voted for "it's wide open" because Nadal coming back from the abs and Medvedev not playing much this year (injury earlier then Wimbledon ban). But back to back, Fritz lost and Tsitsipas lost. It's a lot less wide open now.

by ponchi101 With this performance: Khachanov is toast. He has not enough talent to compete against Kyrgios.
Ruud will be blown of court. Berrettini could, if he serves 90%. And he won't.
So, that finalist I say is fairly well set.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:28 am With this performance: Khachanov is toast. He has not enough talent to compete against Kyrgios.
Ruud will be blown of court. Berrettini could, if he serves 90%. And he won't.
So, that finalist I say is fairly well set.
I'm gonna give Berrettini a bit more of a chance than that. He has won their only match, in 2019 on grass. Nick is better now (I assume, he has been impressive in the past, too, esp on grass). Berrettini has more firepower than Medvedev. The matchup might be better. I dunno.

by texasniteowl
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:18 am I'm gonna give Berrettini a bit more of a chance than that. He has won their only match, in 2019 on grass. Nick is better now (I assume, he has been impressive in the past, too, esp on grass). Berrettini has more firepower than Medvedev. The matchup might be better. I dunno.
I agree with you. But I think Kyrgios comes through unless he has a major let down or melt down. I was really impressed that Nick really kept it together and just played well without much drama in the last 2 sets. In fact, most of the drama seemed to be in the first set which was very competitive.

by nelslus I mean, Nick has had a full history of major let downs and melt downs. Just sayin'.

by ponchi101 And I will give him credit that he has learned to control that. The match against Fritz recently? He just tossed it away.
You know whom I will give some credit? Kokkinakis. He is there for him and, of course, is a peer. As much as he yells at his team, he has the support.
He did not lose Wimby; Novak beat him. But all other matches I have seen of him lately, he has remained in the match (except, again, Vs Fritz)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:And I will give him credit that he has learned to control that. The match against Fritz recently? He just tossed it away.
You know whom I will give some credit? Kokkinakis. He is there for him and, of course, is a peer. As much as he yells at his team, he has the support.
He did not lose Wimby; Novak beat him. But all other matches I have seen of him lately, he has remained in the match (except, again, Vs Fritz)
Oh I think Nick lost his cool vs Novak and might have beat him otherwise. But yes on everything else, and I do think Nick will make the final but don’t think he will blow Berrettini away.

Good point about Kokkinamis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by jazzyg Berrettini is not playing particularly well, but I give him a shot to beat Kyrgios if they meet in the semis. Kyrgios gets frustrated when he can't get serves back into play, and he won't get many of Berrettini's first serves back.

Berrettini also is a slam stalwart, with his last four losses to Djokovic in four sets, Djokovic in four sets, Djokovic in four sets and Nadal in four sets. I'd say Kyrgios is playing as well as those two guys right now, though, and would pick him in four sets.

On the other side, I had Nadal and Alcaraz in the semis before the tournament started and will stick with that, although the way Sinner played last night, I could easily see him getting the trifecta against Alcaraz (wins on grass, clay and hard courts this summer) if they meet in the quarters. Tiafoe can push Nadal, too, and maybe even beat him if Nadal's ab injury returns.

by Deuce Ruud will beat Berrettini, thus rendering all discussion about Kyrgios - Berrettini irrelevant.
I also think Ruud has a very good chance of beating Kyrgios.
I do think Kyrgios will get by Khachanov, though.

The rejuvenated/resurrected Cilic also has a good chance of beating Alcaraz.

by skatingfan And we will have a first time winner on the men's side with Cilic being eliminated.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Of the 8, now 7 men remaining two put me to sleep every time.

by Suliso I bet one is Ruud, but the other?

by ti-amie
Suliso wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:54 pm I bet one is Ruud, but the other?
Sinner

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:59 pm
Sinner
Too late to include Rublev and Khachanov? (I actually can enjoy Khachanov's game. It's just- hey, I respect that silver medal and all. But, he ain't gonna win anything big, so his prospects bore me.)

by ti-amie I might last a set with the two Russians but the other two? One game and I'm out.

by Suliso Bad news for you... Sinner will win many Slams in the next 10 years. ;)

by ti-amie
Suliso wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:21 pm Bad news for you... Sinner will win many Slams in the next 10 years. ;)

by meganfernandez
Sinner
I keep waiting to get excited about him, too. Not that I've seen many of his matches.

by Deuce So... while everyone was talking about Berrettini - Kyrgios, it won't happen.
Ruud beat Berrettini, as I said he would :D .

Most people regularly underestimate Ruud (as seen on this discussion board). I assume this occurs because he's not spectacular. But spectacular doesn't inherently translate to successful. Often, slow and steady wins the race...

by ponchi101 I picked Kyrgios, after initially picking Nadal.
I don't want to pick Ruud. Don't want to jinx him.

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:21 pm Bad news for you... Sinner will win many Slams in the next 10 years. ;)
:vomit:

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:34 pm
Sinner
I keep waiting to get excited about him, too. Not that I've seen many of his matches.
I have. And, I repeat: :vomit:

(*Suliso is probably right, but, I'm hoping this is just Suliso's way to jinx Sinner's career. :gorgeous: )

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:01 am I picked Kyrgios, after initially picking Nadal.
I don't want to pick Ruud. Don't want to jinx him.
LOL, and pffffffftttttt- my "pick" is still in. Do I now win a trophy, since everyone else had Nick? (Albeit, when Carlos loses to Sinner, I guess this means no pretty little imaginary trophy for me). :gorgeous:

by Suliso What's wrong with Jannik? A really nice fellow. I'll be rooting for him against the overhyped Alcaraz. :D

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:What's wrong with Jannik? A really nice fellow. I'll be rooting for him against the overhyped Alcaraz. :D
Nothing’s wrong IMO. I just haven’t caught the fever. Haven’t had a chance to watch him much. I watch more WTA anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ashkor87 Sinner looks a lot like Berdych...doesn't he?

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:02 pm Sinner looks a lot like Berdych...doesn't he?
Physically, or his playing style?

by ponchi101 Playing style, to me. Sinner still has to put some more muscle on those bones before approaching Berdych.
Personality wise, I feel he is great. Behaves well, has been very open about how much he respects his parents for putting him through tennis, while holding jobs at a restaurant (which they still do). I have yet to see him misbehaving in court, so as a person, I say he is tops.
His playing style is a bit bland for me, but nothing that we have not seen before and not got to like: yes, Berdych, but the same as Delpo, CIlic and all the other monster bashers from both wings.
He will win slams, when he gets a good draw. Which could be this Sunday, as he has a good chance against anybody else in the draw.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:40 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:02 pm Sinner looks a lot like Berdych...doesn't he?
Physically, or his playing style?
Just his face etc...

by ashkor87 His game is a notch better than Berdych's, he is quicker and more agile..

by ponchi101 Only to leave evidence that I switched to Ruud because my Kyrgios pick did not work.
So, as we would say in the SP: I am just a zombie.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 I am one of the old ones, and I did not know that. Thanks.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie