'22 USO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 USO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote:Post-match interviewer: Sloane Stephens, you are so much more than a tennis player, you are also a wife (paraphrased).
Ouch…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:56 pm What kind of stupid statement is that?
The same kind as the entire concept of the on-court interview. I have never seen a good one; the level of ridiculous questions is amazing.
---0---
Rybakina: well, she will always have a Wimbledon trophy, but I am changing my opinion to "One slam wonder".
The only good thing is that next year she will not lose any points.
The guy in Stuttgart was great. Former player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:58 pm I don't see the current crop of "top" WTA players having the drive that we saw in Chrissie, Martina, Monica, Jankovic, Ivanovic, and others. Serena is the last of a dying breed, someone who really wants to beat you and will do all she can to do so. Maybe Cori, Leylah, and others will pick up the baton so we see high level tennis again more often than not. After this US Open there will be, in my opinion, a slew of one Slam wonders until some of the newer players like those I mentioned (but not limited to them) mature.
I'd say Swiatek's chances of winning the next RG are very high.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:58 pm I don't see the current crop of "top" WTA players having the drive that we saw in Chrissie, Martina, Monica, Jankovic, Ivanovic, and others. Serena is the last of a dying breed, someone who really wants to beat you and will do all she can to do so. Maybe Cori, Leylah, and others will pick up the baton so we see high level tennis again more often than not. After this US Open there will be, in my opinion, a slew of one Slam wonders until some of the newer players like those I mentioned (but not limited to them) mature.
Remember around 1998? We had that era in which it looked like we were about to enter an era of titanic battles, because the depth was so deep. Alexandra Stevenson, Kournikova, Mauresmo, Hingis, and the Williams were coming in. Graf and Davenport were still making some noise.
Then, it all went away, and Venus and Serena took over. Hingis understood she could not compete against the power of those two, the rest simply didn't blossom to the degree we expected, and we entered that Serena/Venus era, which morphed into just Serena.
The only problem I see is that the style of play in the WTA is so similar all over. 100-105 MPH serve, 2H BH that is more solid than the FH, but a harder FH, and a reluctance to understand how to approach the net.
We don't remember that the great ones were all different from the pack: Serena was different, Graf was different, Martina was different, Chrissie was different. Seles was TOTALLY different. Somebody has to make that commitment: play a truly different game. Then we may see a new, dominant champion
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:11 pm
Remember around 1998? We had that era in which it looked like we were about to enter an era of titanic battles, because the depth was so deep. Alexandra Stevenson, Kournikova, Mauresmo, Hingis, and the Williams were coming in. Graf and Davenport were still making some noise.
Then, it all went away, and Venus and Serena took over. Hingis understood she could not compete against the power of those two, the rest simply didn't blossom to the degree we expected, and we entered that Serena/Venus era, which morphed into just Serena.
The only problem I see is that the style of play in the WTA is so similar all over. 100-105 MPH serve, 2H BH that is more solid than the FH, but a harder FH, and a reluctance to understand how to approach the net.
We don't remember that the great ones were all different from the pack: Serena was different, Graf was different, Martina was different, Chrissie was different. Seles was TOTALLY different. Somebody has to make that commitment: play a truly different game. Then we may see a new, dominant champion
Yep
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:16 pm Hey, Miomir... Time to get up. Time to go to work.

Love,
Mom
Thank you. Well done, Miomir. Now please lose ASAP.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sidenote.
Altmaier's BH is a beauty. A gorgeous one hander.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:11 pm
Let's not completely rewrite the history... Serena was a towering figure of that era. Venus much less so and Henin won as many Slams (7). Clijsters (4) and Sharapova (4) should not be forgotten either.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I wouldn't consider 16 grand slam finals as "much less so."
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:26 pm I wouldn't consider 16 grand slam finals as "much less so."
Only compared to Serena's 33 :)
shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 pm Actually which current one Slam winners do we think will win at least one more?
There's always Ostapenko. After all, according to her, she should never have lost most of the matches she lost.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 pm Actually which current one Slam winners do we think will win at least one more?
Bianca is the only one I can say and actually have any belief behind it and that's if and only if she ever gets her body right again, and as most are aware, I have serious doubts that can happen. I think she's doing better with the new physio, but think those decisions made for her in 2019 may be detrimental to long-term success.

I'm open to Rybakina somewhat, but I've always thought she lacked a killer instinct out there and that's not the kind of thing I tend to think can be taught, you either have it or you don't. For all the hot mess that she is on serve at the moment, Sabalenka has an intensity and energy that is clear when she's playing. Does Rybakina get past Sabalenka if she has to play her at Wimbledon and still lift the trophy? Maybe, she was certainly impressive this year, but she has yet to show she can get past Sabalenka and for me, it's mostly been because Sabalenka wants it more out there.

The possibilities are Andreescu, Kenin, Raducanu, Krejcikova, and Rybakina, right? So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. I'd be happy for any of them to change my mind. Kenin is so far off from where she was in 2019 and 2020 that I have to wonder what injury she had. That girl has the killer instinct I'm talking about in spades.

Forgot about Ostapenko. Eh. I'm not expecting it, but I could see way more than other options, that's for sure. I was high on her before she won and that hasn't lessened. She's a roller coaster, at any point to me she can go on a run and win another GS or big title. I just wouldn't suggest you put down any money you can't afford to lose on that bet.
Last edited by JazzNU on Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:23 pm ...

Let's not completely rewrite the history... Serena was a towering figure of that era. Venus much less so and Henin won as many Slams (7). Clijsters (4) and Sharapova (4) should not be forgotten either.
Agree. You added to my list, but your additions make my point. Henin was different. Sharapova (who actually has 5) and Clijsters were not identical to the others, although they did fit the 2H BH, big FH mold.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:43 pm
The possibilities are Andreescu, Kenin, Raducanu, Krejcikova, and Rybakina, right? So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. I'd be happy for any of them to change my mind. Kenin is so far off from where she was in 2019 and 2020 that I have to wonder what injury she had. That girl has the killer instinct I'm talking about in spades.

Forgot about Ostapenko. Eh. I'm not expecting it, but I could see way more than other options, that's for sure. I was high on her before she won and that hasn't lessened. She's a roller coaster, at any point to me she can go on a run and win another GS or big title. I just wouldn't suggest you put down any money you can't afford to lose on that bet.
You also forgot Stephens.

I agree with you that Andreescu is most likely, but not very likely still.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

FYI, Rublev starting a 5th against Djere.

Also, Bencic in a close one against Petkovic.

Badosa is battling Tsurenko and is into the 3rd, but less further along in the 3rd set than Bencic vs. Petkovic.