ITA E. Cocciaretto vs A. Sasnovich
WOMEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
V. Gracheva vs CRO P. Martic
MEN'S SINGLES R1
Upcoming
AUS J. Kubler vs SWE M. Ymer

MEN'S AND WOMEN'S LUCKY LOSER SIGN-INS CLOSE AT 10:30 AM

by ponchi101 Ok, we know she has not been playing well, but a solid win by Iga. 3&0 against a player that should not, and did not, bother her. Let's see if she can build up from this.

by JazzNU It feels like Tauson moves at a snail's pace. Not her actual game, but her movements in between points. I can't tell if she's not in the best of shape at the moment and that's part of it, definitely been coming back from injury, but I don't feel like it was quite this slow and deliberate in the past. She's always had the poor posture, so can't read anything into that, but it's a bit strange. This match feels like it should be at least in the 3rd set by now, but her pace feels like it has slowed it down so they could be here for 3 hours easy if this goes to an actual 3rd set.

by ponchi101 Good win for Mugu. Hard fought, and she looked satisfied with her game. I hope she can build up on this.

by meganfernandez The hyped Czech teenager Linda Fruhvitrova gets her first Grand Slam win.

by Suliso Tauson's level has dropped considerably from earlier in the year. Possibly because of injuries.

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:18 pm The hyped Czech teenager Linda Fruhvitrova gets her first Grand Slam win.
Wait till Brenda gets on tour. She's supposed to be even better.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:39 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:18 pm The hyped Czech teenager Linda Fruhvitrova gets her first Grand Slam win.
Wait till Brenda gets on tour. She's supposed to be even better.
Sounds familiar. :)

by jazzyg Pliskova made six straight unforced errors from 7-2 up on the third-set tiebreak with Linette, then hit a swinging volley off the back of the baseline that she overhit by a lot when she just needed to find the open court. With that incredibly fortunate break, she then won the next two points to win while clearly feeling the effects of the heat.

I can't imagine she will last long in this tournament.

by meganfernandez Pliskova through in a third-set tiebreak (still weird to see them played to 10). She double-faulted at 7-7 and put the match on Linette's racket. Pliskova tagged the baseline with a swinging volley that they both thought was going out. Linette then makes an error, Pliskova hits a a good serve, and it's over. It looked like Linette was sitting pretty serving at 8-7, then a minute and a half later, she's out of the tournament. Funny sport.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:11 pm Good win for Mugu. Hard fought, and she looked satisfied with her game. I hope she can build up on this.
Felt like it was a win. Not a good win, just a win. I'll agree to the hard fought part, but given the ways in which she attempted to give away the straight set win, hard for me to say it was good.

No matter what happens at this tournament, think it's time for a sports psychologist, maybe find a good one in the off-season. She got noticeably tight and overanxious at points that have been a problem for her this year. It's in her head, past time to see a professional.

by JTContinental For how many years ESPN has inexplicably allowed Chris Fowler to call tennis matches you would think that he would have learned something about how the game is played, but he has not.

by JazzNU
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:51 pm For how many years ESPN has inexplicably allowed Chris Fowler to call tennis matches you would think that he would have learned something about how the game is played, but he has not.
Haha. I like Chris. He's an actual serious tennis fan, long before he ever got this assignment, a stark departure for just about everyone else ESPN assigned to their tennis coverage that wasn't a former pro player.

by JTContinental I find him pleasant, but not observationally proficient.

by ponchi101 Carlitos/Baez has had some truly amazing points. Baez has hit some glorious lobs.

by dryrunguy Hey, Miomir... Time to get up. Time to go to work.

Love,
Mom

by JTContinental
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:51 pm For how many years ESPN has inexplicably allowed Chris Fowler to call tennis matches you would think that he would have learned something about how the game is played, but he has not.
I have to amend this statement to say that the announcer in the match I'm watching (Stephens/Minnen) is indeed not Chris Fowler, but an ignorant soundalike. :D

TMQ regrets the error

by JazzNU
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:16 pm Hey, Miomir... Time to get up. Time to go to work.

Love,
Mom
Don't remember with what, but he was injured in Cincy I believe. May not be fully back from whatever forced him to retire from his match.

by meganfernandez Pera's out in straights. Only took out a couple SPers, though. Were people saving her?

by dryrunguy Meanwhile, Baez just retired. In tears.

by JTContinental
JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:42 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:16 pm Hey, Miomir... Time to get up. Time to go to work.

Love,
Mom
Don't remember with what, but he was injured in Cincy I believe. May not be fully back from whatever forced him to retire from his match.
He's back in the 2nd set, up 5-1

by ponchi101 Baez can't keep up. It was truly a very physical match. 7-5, 7-5 but it was already 2:29. And the running was intense.
Baez is for real. He will be in the mix pretty soon.

by meganfernandez
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:45 pm Meanwhile, Baez just retired. In tears.
Injured or just exhausted?

by dryrunguy
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:47 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:45 pm Meanwhile, Baez just retired. In tears.
Injured or just exhausted?
Injured. I think it was the thigh. He got treatment for it after the second. He limped off the court. Very unfortunate because he was giving Carlitos all he could handle.

by ponchi101 Oh, I thought it was cramping. He was holding up his left thigh.
Either way, a great match to the very end, which was unfortunate.

by JTContinental Post-match interviewer: Sloane Stephens, you are so much more than a tennis player, you are also a wife (paraphrased).

by Suliso What kind of stupid statement is that?

by Suliso Grand Slam winner Rybarikova is not really playing like a champion today. Clara Burel is not a powerful oposition.

by JTContinental
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:44 pm Pera's out in straights. Only took out a couple SPers, though. Were people saving her?
Kalinina is legit, so I was staying away from it, but I did pick Kvitova in the SP today just in case, as they were potential R64 opponents. :D

by dryrunguy
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:51 pm Oh, I thought it was cramping. He was holding up his left thigh.
Either way, a great match to the very end, which was unfortunate.
I went with thigh (we couldn't hear his conversation with the trainer) because Baez is super fit, and I just don't see any way someone with his level of fitness it going to cramp after two sets.

BTW, did anyone else notice when Baez changed shirts? The dude's entire upper body is surprisingly thick. So much so that it looked like the waistband of his shorts was about 4 sizes too small.

by JTContinental Venus not retiring, according to the bumper before her match. "When it's my last one, I'll give you a little whisper," is what she said

by JazzNU
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:00 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:44 pm Pera's out in straights. Only took out a couple SPers, though. Were people saving her?
Kalinina is legit, so I was staying away from it, but I did pick Kvitova in the SP today just in case, as they were potential R64 opponents. :D
So you were not taking my advice to not trust Pera on hard courts?

Kalinina is decent, but today was mostly about Pera being flatter than a pancake out there. Just not remotely dialed into the match.

by dryrunguy Venus' kit is very flattering.

by JazzNU
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:01 pm
BTW, did anyone else notice when Baez changed shirts? The dude's entire upper body is surprisingly thick. So much so that it looked like the waistband of his shorts was about 4 sizes too small.
Oh yeah, he's ripped.

by nelslus
People wanted nothing to do with Pera. And/or anyone playing well prior to a Slam. Back to scrub-land, Pera. :gorgeous:

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:58 pm Grand Slam winner Rybarikova is not really playing like a champion today. Clara Burel is not a powerful oposition.
THIS was a horrible match. Go home and hug that Wimbledon trophy, honey. :gorgeous:

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:01 pm Venus not retiring, according to the bumper before her match. "When it's my last one, I'll give you a little whisper," is what she said
.....Little Whisper then, PLEASE Little Whisper..... :cry:

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:56 pm What kind of stupid statement is that?
The same kind as the entire concept of the on-court interview. I have never seen a good one; the level of ridiculous questions is amazing.
---0---
Rybakina: well, she will always have a Wimbledon trophy, but I am changing my opinion to "One slam wonder".
The only good thing is that next year she will not lose any points.

by Suliso Actually which current one Slam winners do we think will win at least one more?

by ti-amie
It shows why tennis has the best sports journalism EVER.

/s

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:58 pm Grand Slam winner Rybarikova Rybakina is not really playing like a champion today. Clara Burel is not a powerful oposition.
I could be wrong, but I feel like Rybarikova would take any and all criticism you have about her and her game every day and twice on Sunday if it meant she was a grand slam winner.

**shocked this hasn't happened more often

by dryrunguy
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:36 pm
The same kind as the entire concept of the on-court interview. I have never seen a good one; the level of ridiculous questions is amazing.
Oh, I've seen Marion Bartoli and Jelena Dokic do some on-court interviews that were quite good. Some have even been absolutely wonderful.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 pm Actually which current one Slam winners do we think will win at least one more?
I gave Rybakina, Krejcikova and Kenin the benefit of recent bias when they won. I felt that being a one slam winner, at relatively young ages, meant they would grow into being contenders at many more slams.
But, time is proving me very wrong. I really gave your question a thought, and keep drawing a blank.

by ti-amie I don't see the current crop of "top" WTA players having the drive that we saw in Chrissie, Martina, Monica, Jankovic, Ivanovic, and others. Serena is the last of a dying breed, someone who really wants to beat you and will do all she can to do so. Maybe Cori, Leylah, and others will pick up the baton so we see high level tennis again more often than not. After this US Open there will be, in my opinion, a slew of one Slam wonders until some of the newer players like those I mentioned (but not limited to them) mature.

by JTContinental 3 points into the second set, and Venus has already won more points on van Uytvanck's serve than she did in the first set.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:Post-match interviewer: Sloane Stephens, you are so much more than a tennis player, you are also a wife (paraphrased).
Ouch…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
---0---
Rybakina: well, she will always have a Wimbledon trophy, but I am changing my opinion to "One slam wonder".
The only good thing is that next year she will not lose any points.
The guy in Stuttgart was great. Former player.

by Suliso
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:58 pm I don't see the current crop of "top" WTA players having the drive that we saw in Chrissie, Martina, Monica, Jankovic, Ivanovic, and others. Serena is the last of a dying breed, someone who really wants to beat you and will do all she can to do so. Maybe Cori, Leylah, and others will pick up the baton so we see high level tennis again more often than not. After this US Open there will be, in my opinion, a slew of one Slam wonders until some of the newer players like those I mentioned (but not limited to them) mature.
I'd say Swiatek's chances of winning the next RG are very high.

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:58 pm I don't see the current crop of "top" WTA players having the drive that we saw in Chrissie, Martina, Monica, Jankovic, Ivanovic, and others. Serena is the last of a dying breed, someone who really wants to beat you and will do all she can to do so. Maybe Cori, Leylah, and others will pick up the baton so we see high level tennis again more often than not. After this US Open there will be, in my opinion, a slew of one Slam wonders until some of the newer players like those I mentioned (but not limited to them) mature.
Remember around 1998? We had that era in which it looked like we were about to enter an era of titanic battles, because the depth was so deep. Alexandra Stevenson, Kournikova, Mauresmo, Hingis, and the Williams were coming in. Graf and Davenport were still making some noise.
Then, it all went away, and Venus and Serena took over. Hingis understood she could not compete against the power of those two, the rest simply didn't blossom to the degree we expected, and we entered that Serena/Venus era, which morphed into just Serena.
The only problem I see is that the style of play in the WTA is so similar all over. 100-105 MPH serve, 2H BH that is more solid than the FH, but a harder FH, and a reluctance to understand how to approach the net.
We don't remember that the great ones were all different from the pack: Serena was different, Graf was different, Martina was different, Chrissie was different. Seles was TOTALLY different. Somebody has to make that commitment: play a truly different game. Then we may see a new, dominant champion

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:11 pm
Remember around 1998? We had that era in which it looked like we were about to enter an era of titanic battles, because the depth was so deep. Alexandra Stevenson, Kournikova, Mauresmo, Hingis, and the Williams were coming in. Graf and Davenport were still making some noise.
Then, it all went away, and Venus and Serena took over. Hingis understood she could not compete against the power of those two, the rest simply didn't blossom to the degree we expected, and we entered that Serena/Venus era, which morphed into just Serena.
The only problem I see is that the style of play in the WTA is so similar all over. 100-105 MPH serve, 2H BH that is more solid than the FH, but a harder FH, and a reluctance to understand how to approach the net.
We don't remember that the great ones were all different from the pack: Serena was different, Graf was different, Martina was different, Chrissie was different. Seles was TOTALLY different. Somebody has to make that commitment: play a truly different game. Then we may see a new, dominant champion
Yep

by dryrunguy

Love,
Mom
Thank you. Well done, Miomir. Now please lose ASAP.

by ponchi101 Sidenote.
Altmaier's BH is a beauty. A gorgeous one hander.

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:11 pm
Let's not completely rewrite the history... Serena was a towering figure of that era. Venus much less so and Henin won as many Slams (7). Clijsters (4) and Sharapova (4) should not be forgotten either.

by JTContinental I wouldn't consider 16 grand slam finals as "much less so."

by Suliso
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:26 pm I wouldn't consider 16 grand slam finals as "much less so."
Only compared to Serena's 33 :)

by shtexas
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 pm Actually which current one Slam winners do we think will win at least one more?
There's always Ostapenko. After all, according to her, she should never have lost most of the matches she lost.

by JazzNU
Bianca is the only one I can say and actually have any belief behind it and that's if and only if she ever gets her body right again, and as most are aware, I have serious doubts that can happen. I think she's doing better with the new physio, but think those decisions made for her in 2019 may be detrimental to long-term success.

I'm open to Rybakina somewhat, but I've always thought she lacked a killer instinct out there and that's not the kind of thing I tend to think can be taught, you either have it or you don't. For all the hot mess that she is on serve at the moment, Sabalenka has an intensity and energy that is clear when she's playing. Does Rybakina get past Sabalenka if she has to play her at Wimbledon and still lift the trophy? Maybe, she was certainly impressive this year, but she has yet to show she can get past Sabalenka and for me, it's mostly been because Sabalenka wants it more out there.

The possibilities are Andreescu, Kenin, Raducanu, Krejcikova, and Rybakina, right? So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. I'd be happy for any of them to change my mind. Kenin is so far off from where she was in 2019 and 2020 that I have to wonder what injury she had. That girl has the killer instinct I'm talking about in spades.

Forgot about Ostapenko. Eh. I'm not expecting it, but I could see way more than other options, that's for sure. I was high on her before she won and that hasn't lessened. She's a roller coaster, at any point to me she can go on a run and win another GS or big title. I just wouldn't suggest you put down any money you can't afford to lose on that bet.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:23 pm ...

Let's not completely rewrite the history... Serena was a towering figure of that era. Venus much less so and Henin won as many Slams (7). Clijsters (4) and Sharapova (4) should not be forgotten either.
Agree. You added to my list, but your additions make my point. Henin was different. Sharapova (who actually has 5) and Clijsters were not identical to the others, although they did fit the 2H BH, big FH mold.

by Suliso
JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:43 pm
The possibilities are Andreescu, Kenin, Raducanu, Krejcikova, and Rybakina, right? So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. I'd be happy for any of them to change my mind. Kenin is so far off from where she was in 2019 and 2020 that I have to wonder what injury she had. That girl has the killer instinct I'm talking about in spades.

Forgot about Ostapenko. Eh. I'm not expecting it, but I could see way more than other options, that's for sure. I was high on her before she won and that hasn't lessened. She's a roller coaster, at any point to me she can go on a run and win another GS or big title. I just wouldn't suggest you put down any money you can't afford to lose on that bet.
You also forgot Stephens.

I agree with you that Andreescu is most likely, but not very likely still.

by JazzNU FYI, Rublev starting a 5th against Djere.

Also, Bencic in a close one against Petkovic.

Badosa is battling Tsurenko and is into the 3rd, but less further along in the 3rd set than Bencic vs. Petkovic.

by ti-amie Djere played the final at W-S on Sunday and is one of the players who got a day of rest unlike others.

That said I think he has a good chance of beating Rublev because he's pushed it to five.

by Suliso Some chance, but not a big one. Rublev is serving first.

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:53 pm Post-match interviewer: Sloane Stephens, you are so much more than a tennis player, you are also a wife (paraphrased).
Of course, we must add that Sloane won't be a full woman until she also has children. :bang:

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:55 pm Djere played the final at W-S on Sunday and is one of the players who got a day of rest unlike others.

That said I think he has a good chance of beating Rublev because he's pushed it to five.
There are several players who I think, win or lose unless it's like a run to the semi-finals, they need to think about making some changes because things have stagnated or gone backwards for a bit too long. Rublev is near the top of that list.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:01 pm ...

There are several players who I think, win or lose unless it's like a run to the semi-finals, they need to think about making some changes because things have stagnated or gone backwards for a bit too long. Rublev is near the top of that list.
The only thing that has changed about him in the last two years are his clothes. He is indeed playing exactly the same game, over and over. That won't cut it.
It is the inside out FH 1,000 times per match. The opponent only has to play one half of the court.

by ponchi101 Baez stated that what he had was cramps. He will remain in the tournament, in the doubles.

by JTContinental Wow, van Uytvanck hit not one but two terrible mishits on Venus' serve that both dropped right on the sideline for winners, which was the difference in the set. She definitely left the court mad.

by JazzNU Badosa struggled to get past Tsurenko, who by the end, was only on one good leg, so not sure I'd be placing any big bet on her going deep. But it was windy out there for a good portion of the match and maybe that affected her game and she can adjust. Or maybe she was nervous and this will calm her down and she can focus on a good game plan right out of the gate.

by nelslus Venus= :cry:

Eubanks= :yahoo:

Eubanks served for it in the third set at 5-4, but played a horrendous game and got broken at love. Very fortunately, Chris played a terrific tiebreaker. Up on serve 4-3 in the tiebreaker, he whaled away at a return winner for the crucial point. First singles slam win for him. SO happy for him.

by Suliso I think it's safe to say now that Brooksby was a great SP pick.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:35 pm I think it's safe to say now that Brooksby was a great SP pick.
Absolutely. My first choice and I changed my mind. Always a mistake in SP, but he's burned me a couple times now in his young career.

I feel like I never get the benefit of a retirement despite how many times I've done this.

by ponchi101 Excellent pick. He won't go far, and it ended up being a painless match.

by JTContinental Whoever predicted Anisimova might lose due to injury may just be right

by Deuce This year, Anisimova is challenging Andreescu for the title of biggest drama queen on the tour...
Sigh...

by JazzNU
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:00 pm Whoever predicted Anisimova might lose due to injury may just be right
MTO didn't come up until she blew her advantage in the first set and Yulia pounced. She might legitimately be feeling a bit under the weather from the heat and humidity though, was way more of a medical than a physio visit.

by skatingfan Mannarino's out in straight sets, so that's 2 of 3 title winners from last week out in the first round.

by Deuce ^ Yes... and their family names start with letters which are very close together in the alphabet, and so any player whose family name begins with K, L, or M and who wins a title in the week before a Major (or is it just the week prior to the U.S. Open?) will obviously lose in the Major (or is it just the U.S. Open?).

Meanwhile, in meaningful happenings... Shapovalov just lost the 1st set (on a double fault) to Huesler, who looks like a left-handed re-incarnation of Aaron Krickstein.
And Goffin and Musetti are in a close battle.

by ponchi101
skatingfan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:53 pm Mannarino's out in straight sets, so that's 2 of 3 title winners from last week out in the first round.
For Mannarino, winning last week was more important. That is a man that had 0% chance of winning here. But he made a little money last week and for a player in his twilight years, another tournament is better than a 2R at the USO.
I would say.

by ti-amie Coric just won a five set match that should've been three sets committing a total of 81 UFE's to his opponents 51.
(I double checked to make sure)

by ponchi101 Petko announced her retirement from Slams. I gather a few more tournaments in the fall.
I will miss her, the little bit I saw her. She was fun.

by Deuce My buddy Rinky is hanging in there vs. Nadal - on serve halfway through the 1st set.
He needs to get another towel, though, as he keeps taking the same one to both sides of the court - he's not used to this big a court, and so he's walking about half a mile just for his towel on every changeover. :)

Goffin is up a break on Musetti in the 5th....
Shapovalov and Huesler on serve late in the 2nd...
Raducanu and Cornet just starting now...

by ashkor87 Armstrong looks slower than Ashe, today atleast ..not a good sign for Raducanu, Leylah etc...

by Deuce Rinky takes the 1st set from Nadal!
It won't last, but this'll give a boost to his tennis for sure.
Good on him!

Musetti broke back - he and Goffin are going down to the wire.
Raducanu and Cornet on serve halfway through the 1st.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:52 pm Armstrong looks slower than Ashe, today atleast ..not a good sign for Raducanu, Leylah etc...
Serious here, I am not putting you on.
How do you gauge that a court is slower, faster, etc, than another visually? Or is it just the pace or lack of it by the players?

by ashkor87 Visually, what else is possible?

by Deuce Musetti pulled it out - 11-9 in the 5th set tiebreak.
Good to see him battling, as his level of commitment has been a question mark.

Cornet wins the 1st set over Raducanu, 6-3...
And, naturally, Raducanu takes a Medical Time-Out (hand blisters this time, apparently).

Shapovalov and Huesler 2-2 in the 4th (Denis up 2 sets to 1)...

Nadal 5-2 in the 2nd. Rinky won the 1st.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:32 am Visually, what else is possible?
That is my point. To me, it is not possible. I cannot gauge if a court is fast or slow by looking at players playing on them.
Emma already asked for an MTO, for something on her hand. By now, you would assume she has her calluses are ready. Yet, she seems to get blisters all the time.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:35 am
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:32 am Visually, what else is possible?
That is my point. To me, it is not possible. I cannot gauge if a court is fast or slow by looking at players playing on them.
Emma already asked for an MTO, for something on her hand. By now, you would assume she has her calluses are ready. Yet, she seems to get blisters all the time.
Unfortunately, that is the only option we have, since officials always pretend nothing is different and there are no published scientific tests- they always come out 2 years later or something...
Court speed is not the most important factor but at this level, even 5% can swing the game.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:11 pm
skatingfan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:53 pm Mannarino's out in straight sets, so that's 2 of 3 title winners from last week out in the first round.
For Mannarino, winning last week was more important. That is a man that had 0% chance of winning here. But he made a little money last week and for a player in his twilight years, another tournament is better than a 2R at the USO.
I would say.
LOL, I said to John earlier that, if anyone is exempt from my arbitrary "Never Play a Tournament the Week Before a Slam" rule, it would be Mannarino. I'd think that, if he had the choice of winning a tournament or, say, winning a few matches at a Slam- he'd take the title option. Not like he was gonna win the US Open.

by Deuce Raducanu was up a break in the 2nd, but gave that break back, then got broken again.
4-3 Cornet (with a break) in the 2nd now.
The crowd is quite pro-Raducanu.

Kenin out in 2 close sets to Niemeier.

by ti-amie Raducanu out 3&3 to Cornet

by ponchi101 The most totally non-unexpected result in a long time.
But she will come back. She has good strokes, and she is very young. Stop the coach carrousel; that should help.

by JazzNU Glad the match didn't end on a double fault at least after that final super off first serve of Emma's. Nothing surprising of course, but hopefully she'll stick with a coach, figure out a more competitive game to compete on tour. She's been playing top 100 tennis all year, not top 10 tennis and she shouldn't be told otherwise. IMHO British fans haven't been doing her any favors fawning over her game the way they have been, it makes it seem like she doesn't have a ton she needs to work on. They can be big fans of hers without acting like her game isn't need of a lot of work. But even just listening to British commentators call one of her matches is an eye opening experience into how highly they think of her game. Just an amazing level of praise.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:35 am
I was looking at her hand to see what part was pre-taped or protected in some way. As someone who is prone to blisters when the heat and humidity are out of control, I was surprised by how little was on parts that I'd think she'd be concerned about, I know I would gripping that racquet in that sauna. Not sure it would've helped today, the blister seemed to be in an awkward area that wouldn't typically get taped because it could limit hand movement, but still, I was surprised with the barebones tape that was there to start. She needs a new plan where the blisters are concerned, more than tape seems necessary at this point.

by atlpam Today was also Sam Querrey’s last singles match. (He’s still in the doubles for now).

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote:Raducanu out 3&3 to Cornet
I just saw a little bit but Cornet was at her most maddening. Too good.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:The most totally non-unexpected result in a long time.
But she will come back. She has good strokes, and she is very young. Stop the coach carrousel; that should help.
Yeah, she was never going to go far this year.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:45 am
ti-amie wrote:Raducanu out 3&3 to Cornet
I just saw a little bit but Cornet was at her most maddening. Too good.
Emma had her chances. She was up a break in the 2nd (3-1)... and she lost every service game after that.

by martini4me Cornet's drop shots were just lethal tonight.

by ponchi101
atlpam wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:43 am Today was also Sam Querrey’s last singles match. (He’s still in the doubles for now).
A good person, that I won't miss one bit.

by ti-amie Cornet lives for this!

by meganfernandez The Alexandrova bandwagon is wobbling as play is suspended for rain.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:27 am The Alexandrova bandwagon is wobbling as play is suspended for rain.
LOL, HEY now, Alexandra IS up a break in the third (conveniently forgetting that there have been about 50 breaks in this match so far). So, NOTHING!!!!! could go wrong for us now!!!!! :shock:

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:27 am The Alexandrova bandwagon is wobbling as play is suspended for rain.
LOL, HEY now (conveniently forgetting that there have been about 50 breaks in this match so far), Alexandra IS up a break in the third. So, NOTHING!!!!! could go wrong for us now!!!!! :shock:
Ah didn’t know any of that. I’m just bloodthirsty for a bandwagon crash. :)

by meganfernandez Gonna say this early in the Osaka match, not once she wins - I think she can win the tournament.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:56 am
nelslus wrote:
LOL, HEY now (conveniently forgetting that there have been about 50 breaks in this match so far), Alexandra IS up a break in the third. So, NOTHING!!!!! could go wrong for us now!!!!! :shock:

Go find ANOTHER bandwagon crash then, bub. :)

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:56 am
nelslus wrote: LOL, HEY now (conveniently forgetting that there have been about 50 breaks in this match so far), Alexandra IS up a break in the third. So, NOTHING!!!!! could go wrong for us now!!!!! :shock:

Go find ANOTHER bandwagon crash then, bub. :)
There aren’t any. Kecmanovic got us through. Sweet dreams if you’re on the wagon!

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:57 am Gonna say this early in the Osaka match, not once she wins - I think she can win the tournament.
I agree that she CAN win it - she's proven that in the past.
But I also believe she WON'T win it. Not this year, anyway.
She's still too emotionally uncomfortable and fragile.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:57 am Gonna say this early in the Osaka match, not once she wins - I think she can win the tournament.
I mean realistically can. Not just technically possible in the three-dimensional universe.

I don’t know that she is too emotionally fragile.

by meganfernandez This Osaka-Collins match is fantastic. Osaka’s serve is lethal.

Collins ekes out the first set. Got a little lucky in the TB, including a lunging stab lob that landed on the back of the baseline. And a mis-hit return in set point that was a little tough for Naomi to deal with, and she missed a high backhand.

I don’t think it’s over. They are both playing great. Danielle is a little cleaner and Naomi is hitting way too much to Danielle’s BH. Wonder if her dad or hitting partner will tell her.

by skatingfan Sock looks like he's hurt his back again - 2 sets up, but 0-4 in the 3rd set now.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:23 am
Deuce wrote:
I mean realistically can. Not just technically possible in the three-dimensional universe.

I don’t know that she is too emotionally fragile.
I think her results - her lack of good results - over the past year or so are directly due to her emotional discomfort and fragility.
I see a young woman who has no idea what she wants... and who may not even know who she really is.

In addition to the many other signs of her emotional instability, a week or so ago, she said that she'd really like to play mixed doubles at the U.S. Open, but is terrified that she'll let her partner down.
That is not a sign of an emotionally comfortable person.

by ponchi101 How lucky can you get? You are down two sets, and your opponent hurts his back.
Diego through to 2R.

by Deuce Osaka out to Collins in straight sets.
Osaka seems to have basically zero self-belief/self-confidence these days.
Sad to see.

by ponchi101 A strange match. There seemed to be no rhythm.

by Suliso Osaka may be the most insecure and fragile multi Slam champion. At least I can't think of another like her. Novotna maybe, but she only won once.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:49 am Osaka may be the most insecure and fragile multi Slam champion. At least I can't think of another like her. Novotna maybe, but she only won once.
The thing is how that changed. I remember her first slam. Serving for the match, she delivered 3 aces and one service winner, not letting Serena touch the ball.
And then, it is the situation she is in now. She started very well yesterday and then, when Danielle would not go away, did look very iffy indeed. She really has gone back in that department.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:40 am This Osaka-Collins match is fantastic. Osaka’s serve is lethal.

Collins ekes out the first set. Got a little lucky in the TB, including a lunging stab lob that landed on the back of the baseline. And a mis-hit return in set point that was a little tough for Naomi to deal with, and she missed a high backhand.

I don’t think it’s over. They are both playing great. Danielle is a little cleaner and Naomi is hitting way too much to Danielle’s BH. Wonder if her dad or hitting partner will tell her.
Saw the whole match..a good high-,quality match .Collins played the way she did at the AO

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:01 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:40 am This Osaka-Collins match is fantastic. Osaka’s serve is lethal.

Saw the whole match..a good high-,quality match .Collins played the way she did at the AO
A great match. Fantastic win for Collins and not a bad loss for Osaka. I thought it was an encouraging match from Osaka. Her form was blistering at times. Might need more match play and confidence but the game is still there. Collins played like someone who could win the tournament. Ridiculously high level.

by ponchi101 Yes, we have to remember that too. Osaka lost to a seeded player, that made the Aussie Open finals earlier in the year.
Collins is in the OTHER category, so I can't rule her out.

by ashkor87 Have to get up at 430 am to watch Serena - kontaveit ...will do that of course but I hate the timings of the USO..worst of all the majors for us folk who live on the other side of the globe..

by patrick That is how I feel about AO in January

by ponchi101 Or even Wimbledon and the RG, where play starts around 04:00 here in Bogota.

by Suliso For me USO not bad. I only miss the first hour and the night session.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:20 pm For me USO not bad. I only miss the first hour and the night session.
The whole night session tho?

by Suliso I need to sleep too. ;)