Did you play today?

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Did you play today?

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:30 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:24 pm ...

Are you playing on clay, or hard court indoors?

How long do you hit during a training session? I haven't played since Sunday. Playing for a few hours tomorrow - ball machine and then a clinic, and maybe another evening clinic. My favorite clinics just happen to be on the same day right now. Looking forward to it. Have a league doubles match Saturday and a singles match Sunday.
Outdoor clay. The place I go to has reasonably good court, with infrequent bad bounces. The lines/strips are not too pronounced, so they only skid faster, they don't jump anywhere. Plus, it is on the north side of the city so we have a very nice view of some mountains. The shot below is a drone view of some the courts at that place. The very first court, the one you can barely see, is where I usually play because it is the closest to the main building, and it gets protected a bit from the wind.
I hit for one hour. Although I am getting back in shape, my legs are still not completely here (and at my age, they won't be). I am getting to the point in which I can slide forcefully, so 1 hour is enough. And I can't afford more at the moment.
You have your day set for tomorrow. :thumbsup:

courts.JPG
Love seeing the court where you play! I'd think sliding would be pretty intense physically. Nice facility. 4 hours between the ball machine and two clinics was pretty tough on my back. And did I stretch after either clinic? Not much. So stiff afterward, but slept like a rock!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Today.
I think I blew up my elbow again. :cry:
Let me see how it feels tomorrow.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:12 am Today.
I think I blew up my elbow again. :cry:
Let me see how it feels tomorrow.
Noooo... how?

Won a singles match today, one of the hardest fights ever. Tooth and nail from the beginning. Won 6-4, 6-7, 10-6... deciding court... upsetting our rival ... breaking the tie for first place in our league, although it's early in the season. Now we are undefeated and they aren't. :)

We played our sister team, and I think they are the A team and we are the B team. My opponent was a doubles player who was thrown in to play singles when their usual singles player called off an hour before the match. I know and like the person I played, and it made it very difficult knowing that everyone expected me to win. It would have been embarrassing to lose to someone who doesn't play singles. But she SHOULD play singles. She's a terrific athlete, tall, great at the net, big forehand and serve. I had all the pressure and was down 1-4 fast, moping about three or four lucky shots she framed for winners. Then I realized no one wins a match with lucky shots - I was paying poorly, too. I turned it around and won the next five games. Second set was neck and neck as I was wearing out. She served for the set at 5-3, I served for it at 6-5, she ripped three winners, then she won the tiebreak. On to the match tiebreak, now knowing we're the deciding court in the team match. She pulled a calf muscle early and could barely move. I struggled to hit the open court with all that opportunity - dumped a few forehands into the bottom of the net. I kept it together and got to 9-6, and chipped a short ball to midcourt, knowing she couldn't run for it. GSM, two hours and 10 minutes. Never been so relieved.

She said she didn't retire so i could win outright, and she figured I would win. I wasn't sure at all - I would have been thrilled with a retirement. Would have considered it a win by attrition.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :trophy:
Good for you!
You have posted by now a few matches that you have won in the match TB. So, it seems to me you are holding it together quite well.
Sometimes I think people misunderstand the concentration issue. It is not NOT to be nervous, or be totally relaxed on court. That is almost impossible; the thing is to know that you can be nervous, and still deliver. That is what it sounds like you are doing.
My elbow: it seems to me I can rally alright, but serving injures me. Which is kind of strange because I don't have bad mechanics. It sounds very arrogant but I think I was trying to get speed too fast. It backfired.
Anyway, I will have to be off at least two weeks, because tomorrow I will have a small procedure to take care of a hernia.
Will KYP :thumbsup:

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:15 am :clap: :clap: :clap: :trophy:
Good for you!
You have posted by now a few matches that you have won in the match TB. So, it seems to me you are holding it together quite well.
Sometimes I think people misunderstand the concentration issue. It is not NOT to be nervous, or be totally relaxed on court. That is almost impossible; the thing is to know that you can be nervous, and still deliver. That is what it sounds like you are doing.
My elbow: it seems to me I can rally alright, but serving injures me. Which is kind of strange because I don't have bad mechanics. It sounds very arrogant but I think I was trying to get speed too fast. It backfired.
Anyway, I will have to be off at least two weeks, because tomorrow I will have a small procedure to take care of a hernia.
Will KYP :thumbsup:
Sounds like the break is coming at the right time. I'm sorry you're hurt. Good luck with the surgery, too. Please do keep us posted!

Yes, I am learning to deal with nerves. I breathe, focus on what I need to do instead of the score or outcome, try to choose a good shot... the problem is staying loose. Keeping my racket head speed the same while playing with more control and calmness.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

came back to play after a break of two weeks - as usual, first day is always spectacularly good - the level will drop off now, I am sure.. the first day is always the best for me, all my bad habits are forgotten, and I can just play.... wont last though.!
i wonder if others have the same experience?

Missed quite a few days, vacation in Egypt and Jordan, now off to a yoga retreat, and anyway the festival of Diwali is on, so dawn concerts every day, no room for play .
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That's quite the schedule, Ashkor. Very Jet Set! :thumbsup:
Yes, first day of comeback is usually good. The 2nd sucks; all the out of shape things surface.
I am down at least a month. My procedure was easy and it went well, but recovery will be tough; two 2-inch cuts in the lower abdomen are no fun ;)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Back on court, after my operation.
On the one hand, the discomfort when moving is gone. I only now need to recover my leg work and my movement. After a month of inactivity, and two full weeks of barely moving, I need to regain speed and explosiveness.
But... this growing old :poop: is not fun.
My elbow is still bothering so I changed balls and re-strung one racquet. Went all the way down from 56lbs to 48, with a more flexible string with a higher gauge. The first 1/2 hour was fine, but then, I just could not find the court. I don't know if I just got tired or if it was the infamous "2nd day jinx", but I had no control. However, the elbow was not hurting as much, so I guess I am stuck with the new tension.
Gotta wait until Tuesday.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

it has started raining so had to take it off for a couple weeks.. played yesterday for the first time again.. loved the way the balls get wet and heavy.. you can really whack them without any fear they will go out! Last time, I suffered an elbow injury because of it, so I had better watch out...!
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

motobass and I played tennis this evening with our 21 yo. Pickleballers were next to us, but they didn't stay long. Until this spring, I can't count how many years it's been since I hit a ball. I'm too afraid to run (arthritic knee, back, and hips, and way too heavy) but it turns out that I can still hit a decent volley now and then, and if the ball comes to me just so, I have enjoyed the old feeling of hitting a good shot intentionally. Weather was nice for playing here in Chicago as the sun set.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

It is fun to just hit the ball...

Post by meganfernandez »

Irena2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:48 am motobass and I played tennis this evening with our 21 yo. Pickleballers were next to us, but they didn't stay long. Until this spring, I can't count how many years it's been since I hit a ball. I'm too afraid to run (arthritic knee, back, and hips, and way too heavy) but it turns out that I can still hit a decent volley now and then, and if the ball comes to me just so, I have enjoyed the old feeling of hitting a good shot intentionally. Weather was nice for playing here in Chicago as the sun set.
Nice! Nothing like hitting the sweet spot on a racket. Are you doing to keep playing?

Post by meganfernandez »

My USTA match was cancelled yesterday, and it was going to be on red clay - a rarity in Indiana. I love playing on clay and always do well there, and I was looking forward tot he exercise. But the other team didn't have enough players because of the holiday weekend and they defaulted my court.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Irena2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:48 am motobass and I played tennis this evening with our 21 yo. Pickleballers were next to us, but they didn't stay long. Until this spring, I can't count how many years it's been since I hit a ball. I'm too afraid to run (arthritic knee, back, and hips, and way too heavy) but it turns out that I can still hit a decent volley now and then, and if the ball comes to me just so, I have enjoyed the old feeling of hitting a good shot intentionally. Weather was nice for playing here in Chicago as the sun set.
After you have been out for a while, just go back in there slowly. A couple of nice doubles, get those knees oiled up (internally), remember how to move around the court.
Glad to hear when some members are actually playing. Not only talking about tennis ;)
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:21 pm
Nice! Nothing like hitting the sweet spot on a racket. Are you doing to keep playing?
I can't imagine playing competitively again, but we hope to keep up with going out to hit a few times a week, should air quality and patience (waiting for a public court with doubled-up pickle-balling) allow. I have enjoyed reading about your matches, Megan! Where can you play on red clay near you? That's a shame that you couldn't play your match.