NBA Random

And other things related to basketball
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: NBA Random

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:30 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:09 am The gambling jones is a rhymes with witch.
Expand, please.
Is there no conflict of interest for the Hawks owner?
I figure Jordan needs the money. Regarding the Hawks owner I don't know.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:43 am
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:30 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:09 am The gambling jones is a rhymes with witch.
Expand, please.
Is there no conflict of interest for the Hawks owner?
I figure Jordan needs the money. Regarding the Hawks owner I don't know.

Don't think that's it. If you've seen any video of him at the games recently, he's about reached the end of his rope with how the team is performing so this isn't that surprising. Some of that is on him, some of it is on the players, and a healthy amount is on unspeakably bad luck. They may get more bad injuries to key players when they are starting to gain momentum than any other team in the league. It's happened over and over again with them.

I'm not sure if there are rules against owning two teams. And it may be that it is okay when there is a shared ownership stake. But the other owners have to approve new owners, so if there was a concern, that's really the failsafe even if there is no official rule in place.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If Mavs protest, what are the chances the Warriors lose their big victory in Dallas?
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has threatened to file a protest of the Warriors’ 127-125 victory Wednesday in Dallas

By BUD GERACIE | bgeracie@bayareanewsgroup.com, MADELINE KENNEY | mkenney@bayareanewsgroup.com and SHAYNA RUBIN | srubin@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: March 23, 2023 at 3:33 p.m. | UPDATED: March 23, 2023 at 3:36 p.m.

The Warriors’ victory in Dallas was still standing at the end of business Thursday, and it likely will withstand a threatened protest by Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Cuban had 48 hours to file an official protest of the Warriors’ 127-125 victory Wednesday night. That gives him until the end of business Friday, or perhaps a few hours more, coinciding with the final buzzer of Wednesday night’s game.

If a protest is filed, both teams will have five days to present evidence to support its side of the argument. Commissioner Adam Silver will make a ruling within five days of receiving the evidence. There hasn’t been a successful protest since 2008, according to ESPN and the Associated Press.

At issue is a play late in the third quarter that gave the Warriors an uncontested basket in a game that ended with a two-point margin. Coming out of a timeout, the Warriors inbounded the ball under the Dallas basket while the Dallas players, all five of them, were at the opposite end of the floor, thinking it was their ball.

Cuban, who had told ESPN during the telecast that he would protest the play if Dallas lost by two points, took to Twitter after the game.

“The ref called Mavs ball,” he wrote. “The announcer announced it. Then there was a timeout. During the timeout the official changed the call and never told us. Then when they saw us line up as if it were our ball, he just gave the ball to the Warriors. Never said a word to us. They got an easy basket. Crazy that it would matter in a 2-point game. Worst officiating non-call mistake possibly in the history of the NBA . All they had to do was tell us and they didn’t.”

The Mavericks’ protest will be based on one of the game officials causing confusion by not alerting players and coaches who had the ball, according to The Athletic.

Sean Wright, chief of the officiating crew, said it was always the Warriors’ ball, the call was never changed.

“Initially on the floor, the original signal was in face Golden State ball, as this can be seen on video,” Wright told a pool reporter. “There is a second signal, but that signal is for a mandatory timeout that was due to the Mavs.”

The Warriors got few chuckles out of it all, along with the free basket. Coach Steve Kerr said it was the best after-timeout play he’d drawn up all season.

“It worked brilliant,” he said, “just the way we got organized and confused them.”

The truth is, Kerr initially was confused too.

“I had to stop and think, ‘Wait, aren’t we — isn’t this our basket?’ Because I had drawn up a play for an … underneath baseline out-of-bounds,” he said. “And when they were down at the other end, I had to stop and think, ‘Is this right.'”

Jordan Poole, the inbounder on the play, took note of all the Mavericks at the wrong end of the floor and emphatically urged the official to give him the ball. The instant it happened, Poole passed to Looney for the uncontested dunk.

“Probably the easiest two points Loon’s ever had and easiest assist JP has ever had,” Steph Curry said.

“I was just glad JP passed to me…I needed that to get to my double-double,” said Looney, who finished with 12 points and 12 rebounds.

The controversial win gave the Warriors the a playoff tiebreaker with the Mavericks and Golden State consecutive road wins for the first time this season. The Warriors hold a putrid 9-29 road record, but hold the No. 6 seed in the Western Conference.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/23/ ... in-dallas/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I saw the game. I'm with the Mavs in this one.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

It's very clearly a signal for the Warriors and then a timeout call for the Mavs. But if you thought that was your ball, what's even stranger is no one on the Mavs going anywhere near where the ref with the game ball was. It's super strange that they just didn't do anything at that point. Like timeout was over.

Mark Cuban yelling about his own announcer's mistake as proof of what the real call was is hilarious. That guy is a Mavs employee, not some extension of the refs.

And acting like there weren't ample opportunities to win the game after this is a massive joke. It's giving major Houston Rockets energy. Will we get a detailed report about this in the off season as well?
Last edited by JazzNU on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by JazzNU »

This is likely to be a whole lot of nothing. The bigger ref news this week is Fred VanVleet spent his money very well paying his fine after he when on his rant 2 weeks ago.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Can we have a replay of Van Vleet fine where he did not care what he said about the ref

Post by JazzNU »

patrick wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:22 am Can we have a replay of Van Vleet fine where he did not care what he said about the ref
I'm sorry, not sure what you're asking for. The rant or something else?
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Rant

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

Click the second one for an article if you want details on the new CBA

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

They did it to themselves. There was zero finesse in their move yesterday. You gotta do better than that when you're gonna tank.