NBA Random

And other things related to basketball
patrick United States of America

Re: NBA Random

Post by patrick »

JazzNU wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:55 pm
patrick wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:29 pm Unfortunately for Williams, 2 blow out losses in elimination games in consecutive years and his feud with Ayton was at the top of the list. Now, will Ayton step his game up next year with a new coach and Durant in place for an entire year.
That's putting blame on Monty without any context and that he doesn't deserve. And if the owner is stupid enough to choose Ayton over Monty, who both Booker and Durant love and respect, the main reason that he had Phoenix on his list of teams he'd go to for a few years now, then he's even dumber than I was thinking he was.
Then what is the context on Williams? As you know, someone has to unfortunately take blame of developing situations.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

patrick wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:39 pm
JazzNU wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:55 pm
patrick wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:29 pm Unfortunately for Williams, 2 blow out losses in elimination games in consecutive years and his feud with Ayton was at the top of the list. Now, will Ayton step his game up next year with a new coach and Durant in place for an entire year.
That's putting blame on Monty without any context and that he doesn't deserve. And if the owner is stupid enough to choose Ayton over Monty, who both Booker and Durant love and respect, the main reason that he had Phoenix on his list of teams he'd go to for a few years now, then he's even dumber than I was thinking he was.
Then what is the context on Williams? As you know, someone has to unfortunately take blame of developing situations.

The owner is the one to blame more than anyone else, he's the one who has driven all of the changes, and the GM seems to have barely been calling the shots since the ownership change. You can't decimate your bench in a trade and then be surprised that you are hampered when your starters have injuries and the backups are more like 4th string, especially when 2 of those starters have a healthy history of injuries. I think KD played in 8 regular season games so hardly time to figure out the best combo and chemistry. KD has struggled most of the playoffs, even though he's been technically good, he hasn't been his version of great this postseason. The final game was missing 2 of their starters in the lineup so to be surprised it's a blowout to the #1 seed is a joke. It was always going to be a blowout once that happened those two things were announced when you're lacking your experienced bench players that used to put up very respectable numbers in that situation to help get you to a win and are the reason that the Nets didn't completely fall apart after the trade.

This is an owner who came in with an agenda and that clearly included getting rid of the coach. Who is he getting exactly as his replacement? No one who has anywhere near the same relationships and respect with All Star players that's for sure, because that coach isn't currently on the market. But I'd assume he has someone in mind since this has clearly been the plan from the start.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Darryl Morey's commitment to Harden above all else is a touch disturbing. Hopefully he doesn't go full Rockets and hire D'Antoni.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:01 pm Darryl Morey's commitment to Harden above all else is a touch disturbing. Hopefully he doesn't go full Rockets and hire D'Antoni.
As you frequently say, that would be hilarious.
I know that they lost game 7 by a blowout, but it was against a very good team and against a player that simply could not miss that day. I believe that some of these firings are complete over reactions.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:12 pm
JazzNU wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:01 pm Darryl Morey's commitment to Harden above all else is a touch disturbing. Hopefully he doesn't go full Rockets and hire D'Antoni.
As you frequently say, that would be hilarious.
I know that they lost game 7 by a blowout, but it was against a very good team and against a player that simply could not miss that day. I believe that some of these firings are complete over reactions.
They are most definitely over reactions. Go ahead and fire Doc if you want, that was a possibility regardless of the manner with which they lost the series as long as it was a loss, it was always on the table. And I'm not saying there's no reason to do it in a grander sense, but in that Game 7, you can't ever win that game when your current MVP scores 15 and your former MVP scores 9, which is less than half of what the best player on the other team scored on his own. You will never win that game that way, and there wasn't a damn bit of that that was coaching, it was them not being up for the moment. And it also wasn't coaching when at the end of Game 6 when you were ahead or competitive the entire game, then you get a little bit down in the final like 2 minutes of the game and both your stars don't give their all to the final second to try close out the series at home. It was strange and called out when it happened in real time by the broadcast team given how bizarre it was. The opposite of what you see from Jimmy Butler, for instance, and given the stakes, truly a bad look from both.

Also, firing Doc to keep James Harden? I would understand it so much more if James' Harden showed on a regular basis both on and off the court especially with conditioning that basketball was his #1 priority. But that hasn't happened in many, many years.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm so glad people are finally talking about Harden's cavalier attitude to the sport that has made him wealthy. He's never played consistently great ball and I was not surprised at his disappearing act in Game 7.

Something happened in the locker room at half time though. The Sixers that took the floor in the third quarter seemed directionless and taken by surprise by how Boston adjusted and ran them off the court. Doc should've called a time out early to try and regroup but it seems he had no idea what to do either. For a league MVP Embiid was also MIA. I seem to remember he had injuries but still. I'm old enough to remember Willis Reed walking out on court with no knees to lead his team. Today's players get an owwie and they can't play.

They want to keep Harden who will, mid season, demand a trade.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Super 70s Sports
@super70ssports@bird.makeup
Michael Jordan won 25 of the final 26 playoff series he played in. Enjoy your Tuesday.

https://bird.makeup/users/super70ssport ... 3684873217

#justsaying
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But I don't think we are expecting them to be Jordan. If they play like Pippen that would be good enough.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:31 pm Super 70s Sports
@super70ssports@bird.makeup
Michael Jordan won 25 of the final 26 playoff series he played in. Enjoy your Tuesday.
I love Jordan...but holy cherry picking and unnecessary since he's impressive either way. Tell me how those earlier playoff series went before that chosen cutoff date.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The 30 for 30 on the Bad Boys and how Chicago became THE BULLS is one of their best ever shows. Bill Laimbeer is one of the most under rated players. He accepted his role and excelled at it. Rodman's defensive play is also not talked about. Isiah Thomas, all of the Bad Boys were the precursors to the Bulls Dynasty.

That said Jordan was the right man at the right time. That game he played sick as a dog ensured his deification.

Post by JazzNU »

Spurs have been rewarded handsomely for their tank job this season.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 am Spurs have been rewarded handsomely for their tank job this season.
:bananas: :yahoo: :bananas: :yahoo: :bananas: :yahoo:

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:43 am
JazzNU wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 am Spurs have been rewarded handsomely for their tank job this season.
:bananas: :yahoo: :bananas: :yahoo: :bananas: :yahoo:
Almost every other time you'd be railing about the NBA needing to do something about tanking being rewarded, but make it the Spurs and you're jumping for joy, huh?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

In all seriousness, there is a lot to work on. Nobody wins just with one guy. And they let go any and all players that were any good. So it will take a while.

About tanking. No, I still say the same. It should be punished, as Dallas was punished for the last game tank job. And if you tell me how this league, or any other league, can rein it in, I will be with you.