40%
Rune
No votes

Total votes: 10

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Turin. World Tour Finals (ATP)

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Saturday, November 19, 2022 Day 7

Centre Court Starts At 11:30 Am

SF
(2) Rajeev Ram/Joe Salisbury VS (1) Wesley Koolhof/Neal Skupski
Not Before 2:00 Pm
SF
(7) Novak Djokovic VS (8) Taylor Fritz
Not Before 6:30 Pm
SF
(4) Nikola Mektic/Mate Pavic VS (6) Lloyd Glasspool/Harri Heliovaara
Not Before 9:00 Pm
SF
(3) Casper Ruud VS (6) Andrey Rublev
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Though I think that Djokovic may be capable of pretending he is more tired than he is, he is also getting older. Body metabolism changes with age - no matter how healthy you are eating.
Many of the points in today’s match were also long. And last week, he looked tired in the Final vs. Rune.
And he had major problems with his stamina in his first few years on the tour.

So, taking all of that into account, I think the fatigue today was genuine.
(Or maybe his ‘team’ really are sabotaging him by screwing with his drink mix :D.)

I will also say that I was surprised by the competitiveness of the match. I posted yesterday, wondering if these matches that have absolutely no effect on the tournament should even be played (the fates of both Medvedev and Djokovic had been determined prior to this match). But they did play it, and both players seemed to be giving 100%. More power to them 👍.

As for Rublev beating Tsitsipas... All of these players are world class level. In a short period like a one week tournament, anyone can beat anyone. The differences show more over the course of a year.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Some of you guys might not know but his nickname is "Fakervic"
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Paraphrasing Lineker who said 'football is a simple game- 22 people kick a ball around for 90 minutes and the Germans always win' or some such ,-
Tennis is a simple game, two guys hit the ball for 3 hours, and Djokovic always wins
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:59 am Some of you guys might not know but his nickname is "Fakervic"
^ I think that comes from his first few years on the tour, when he had some sort of issue with his stamina in pretty much every match.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I think I saw this scenario in YEC already. In 2008. Murray made a point to beat Federer in the last RR match, because he saw a dip in form in Federer and valued the rivalry more than the tournament strategy consideration. He did beat Federer but spent too much of his reserve and ended up losing a semi to Davydenko. I'm afraid Novak is destined to repeat this.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

mick1303 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:38 am I think I saw this scenario in YEC already. In 2008. Murray made a point to beat Federer in the last RR match, because he saw a dip in form in Federer and valued the rivalry more than the tournament strategy consideration. He did beat Federer but spent too much of his reserve and ended up losing a semi to Davydenko. I'm afraid Novak is destined to repeat this.
Yes, could happen..I am concerned about that too
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:04 am
mick1303 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:38 am I think I saw this scenario in YEC already. In 2008. Murray made a point to beat Federer in the last RR match, because he saw a dip in form in Federer and valued the rivalry more than the tournament strategy consideration. He did beat Federer but spent too much of his reserve and ended up losing a semi to Davydenko. I'm afraid Novak is destined to repeat this.
Yes, could happen..I am concerned about that too
And the fact that his match is first on the schedule only adds to this concern...
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Federer did win a memorable tiebreak to force a 3rd set. Also, Simon defeated Federer in Cananda and at YEC
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Exactly. And that was the same day in which Novak won the first set, secured the pass to the semis and, after Tsonga won the second set, tanked the third.
Murray and Federer battled for a glorious 3rd set, and Andy had nothing left for the Davidenko match the next day.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:54 am
Time to talk to Caroline Garcia? Heck, time to DATE Caroline Garcia?
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

So glad that Novak was able to stay alive and fight another day.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And the match was not so draining. For sure Rublev or Ruud are younger, but that match can go the distance, late at night.
Novak's chances for tomorrow are excellent.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »