by ti-amie Tournament: 2022 WTA Finals
Dates: 31 October – 7 November
Edition: 51st (singles) / 46th (doubles)
Draw: 8S / 8D
Prize money: TBD
Surface: Hard (i)
Venue: Dickies Arena

Qualifying

In the singles, point totals are calculated by combining point totals from sixteen tournaments (excluding ITF and WTA 125 tournaments).[4] Of these sixteen tournaments, a player's results from the four Grand Slam events, the four WTA 1000 tournaments with 1,000 points for the winner, and (for the players who played the main draw of least 2 such tournaments) the best results from two WTA 1000 tournaments with 900 points for the winner must be included.

In the doubles, point totals are calculated by any combination of eleven tournaments throughout the year. Unlike in the singles, this combination does not need to include results from the Grand Slams or WTA 1000 tournaments.

Format

Both the singles and doubles event features eight players/teams in a round robin event, split into two groups of four. Over the first four days of competition, each player/team meets the other three players/teams in her group, with the top two in each group advancing to the semifinals. The first-placed player/team in one group meets the second-placed player/team in the other group, and vice versa. The winners of each semifinal meet in the championship match.

Round robin tie-breaking methods

The final standings are made using these methods:

Greatest number of match wins.
Greatest number of matches played.
Head-to-head results if only two players are tied, or if three players are tied then:
a. If three players each have the same number of wins, a player having played less than all three matches is automatically eliminated and the player advancing to the single elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two remaining tied players.
b. Highest percentage of sets won.
c. Highest percentage of games won.

by ti-amie Swiatek, Jabeur among first qualifiers announced for 2022 WTA Finals
World No.1 Iga Swiatek earned her second qualification for the year-end finale, while Ons Jabeur secured her place. Reigning WTA Finals doubles champions Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova will return to defend their title.

By Press Release

ST PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The WTA announced Monday that World No.1 Iga Swiatek, US Open finalist Ons Jabeur and the doubles team of Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova have secured their qualification for the 2022 WTA Finals.

Jabeur will be making her first appearance at the season-ending tournament, and Swiatek her second, which is being held in Fort Worth, Texas, at the state-of-the-art Dickies Arena as the event returns to the United States for the first time since 2005. The pairing of Krejcikova and Siniakova return as defending champions in what will be their fourth consecutive team appearance.

“I’m really excited to qualify for the WTA Finals this year for the second time in my career and I’m really looking forward to playing in front of the fans in Fort Worth,” Swiatek said.

Swiatek has won a tour-leading seven titles this season, six of which spanned a 37-match winning streak from February to July. The Polish 21-year-old won consecutive titles at the Qatar TotalEnergies Open (Doha), BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells), Miami Open presented by Itaú, Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Stuttgart), Internazionali BNL d'Italia (Rome) and Roland Garros. She lifted her third Grand Slam title on Saturday at the US Open and has amassed a 55-7 win loss record this year.

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2788609/ ... wta-finals

by ti-amie Image

Tunisia’s Jabeur becomes the first Arab woman to qualify for the WTA Finals, and this season has won the biggest titles of her career at the WTA 1000 level Mutua Marid Open and WTA 500 bett1open (Berlin). In addition, she reached the title match at the US Open, Credit One Charleston Open and Internazionali BNL d'Italia (Rome). Jabeur reached a career-high ranking of No.2 on June 27 this year, making her the highest-ranked African and Arab tennis player ever, man or woman.

Before contesting the final in New York over the weekend, Jabeur, became the first Arab player to reach a Grand Slam singles final, finishing runner-up at The Championships, Wimbledon in July.

“It is such an honor to qualify for the WTA Finals,” Jabeur said. “It was my goal from the beginning of the season to play the tournament and I can’t wait to compete as one the top 8 players in the world.”

by ti-amie Image

Confirming their qualification having lifted the US Open doubles title over the weekend, the Czech duo of Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova will make their fourth consecutive appearance at the WTA Finals. In 2021, they became the first all-Czech team to lift the WTA Finals Martina Navratilova Trophy and will hope to be the seventh team overall to successfully defend the WTA Finals crown.

Siniakova, the current WTA World No.1 in doubles, and Krejcikova first played on the Hologic WTA Tour together at Nürnberg in 2014 and this season have won three titles, all coming at Grand Slam level, at the Australian Open, Wimbledon and now the US Open.

"We are so excited that we are going to play the WTA Finals again," Siniakova said.

Added Krejcikova: "We are really looking forward to playing in Fort Worth in Texas and hopefully defending our title."

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 Close race for the 8th spot...does Wta have a clause for major winners, like ATP has? And will W count?!

by ashkor87 Strangely, the WTA site says Kudermetova has 2497 points,
on sept 26, slightly ahead of Sakkari..why this discrepancy?
Assuming the target is around 2400, Badosa needs to get 150, Bencic needs 200..Keys a few less..all 3 plus Sakkari and Kudermetova have a good shot, then, for the last spot...

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:16 am Close race for the 8th spot...does Wta have a clause for major winners, like ATP has? And will W count?!
The WTA doesn't have that clause for major winners.

by ashkor87
skatingfan wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:18 am
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:16 am Close race for the 8th spot...does Wta have a clause for major winners, like ATP has? And will W count?!
The WTA doesn't have that clause for major winners.
So bye bye Rybakina, then...thanks

by ti-amie I'm waiting for all the posts about why the women's Wimbledon champion isn't in the lineup for the YEC on tennis twitter. That should be fun.

by ashkor87 The race is now to catch the straggler...Kudermetova..Bencic would be my bet...Keys has a bad draw at Ostrava...Sakkari and Badosa are probably not going to do much with the strong fields coming up...

by ashkor87 Kudermetova has surfaced in Tunisia..I wa worried about her .MiA..she is at the cusp of qualifying, needs points...

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 What a mess.
It would be ridiculous, of course, but it is getting to the point in which you almost need "qualies" for the YEC.
(I know, the "qualies" are the whole year, but I hope I made my point).

by ti-amie

by ptmcmahon
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:50 pm What a mess.
It would be ridiculous, of course, but it is getting to the point in which you almost need "qualies" for the YEC.
(I know, the "qualies" are the whole year, but I hope I made my point).
Meanwhile the stats nerds like us LOVE this. This is personally maybe THE most exciting time of the season for me.

by ponchi101 Oh, exciting it is. We probably will not know the field for the YEC until the end of Sunday before it starts.

by Owendonovan Let's always remember the way Texas treats any human without a penis or US passport.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Those are some bad breaks for her.

by JazzNU

by ashkor87 Swiatek has achieved such dominance that it is hard to look beyond her now. The only people who can beat her are those who can push her back and take time away from her.. none of them are in the draw here.. so
probabilities: Swiatek 90%.. if something happens to her, Pegula should win... 5%, the field 5%..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:02 am Swiatek has achieved such dominance that it is hard to look beyond her now. The only people who can beat her are those who can push her back and take time away from her.. none of them are in the draw here.. so
probabilities: Swiatek 90%.. if something happens to her, Pegula should win... 5%, the field 5%..
Pegula took a set off her in San Diego. The problem is the third set - Swiatek seizes control in those situations so well. Someone has to be ready to play just as fearlessly and urgently before Iga runs away with it. I think Pegula has the maturity to do it.

by ponchi101 Uhm... these are the best 8 players in the world. I just can't give anybody 90% chance of winning. Not nowadays. As good as Iga is, she is no Serena or Steffi or Martina.
60% chance of winning. The rest of the field splits the rest, and not evenly.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:02 pm Uhm... these are the best 8 players in the world. I just can't give anybody 90% chance of winning. Not nowadays. As good as Iga is, she is no Serena or Steffi or Martina.
I think Iga is close to unstoppable. She is 17-1 against the Fort Worth field in 2022! The only one who has beaten her is Garcia. Sakkari hasn't played her. It's indoors. Good for Iga?

Iga might be a Serena, Steffi, Martina, but she hasn't had time to prove it yet at 21. Serena had two Slams by 21 and Martina won her first at 21. But Steffi had 9, including the Grand Slam!

by Suliso Iga a strong favorite, but surely not 90%. Maybe if it was on clay.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:58 pm ...

I think Iga is close to unstoppable. She is 17-1 against the Fort Worth field in 2022! The only one who has beaten her is Garcia. Sakkari hasn't played her. It's indoors. Good for Iga?

Iga might be a Serena, Steffi, Martina, but she hasn't had time to prove it yet at 21. Serena had two Slams by 21 and Martina won her first at 21. But Steffi had 9, including the Grand Slam!
Martina was famously out of shape early in her career. I know Iga is right now the cream of the current group, but... not ready to include her in that group of great ones.

by ashkor87 When Swiatek comes forward for the kill...her body weight into the shot, she is awesome..to beat her, you have to push her back..not easy but Krejcikova did it at Ostrava for most of the match...

by ashkor87 Swiatek can be beaten, but not by those in the draw, unfortunately! Maybe Sabalenka can do it but can she beat everyone else? unlikely..!

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:18 am Swiatek can be beaten, but not by those in the draw, unfortunately! Maybe Sabalenka can do it but can she beat everyone else? unlikely..!
Well... one player that Sabalenka has a huge winning record against is... herself :D. She has beaten herself many, many times - and odds are that she'll do it again in this tournament.

As for Swiatek - I agree with others in that these are the top 8 players in the rankings, and in a one tournament showdown like this, anything can happen.
Would I favour the other 7 players to beat Swiatek in 8 tournaments out of 10? Probably not. But in a one tournament showdown, as I said, anything is possible.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:02 pm Uhm... these are the best 8 players in the world. I just can't give anybody 90% chance of winning. Not nowadays. As good as Iga is, she is no Serena or Steffi or Martina.
are they, really, the 8 best? Rybakina?

anyway, even if they are, one can be much better than the rest, cant they? Non Sequitur !!

by ashkor87 anyone know what the courts are like? slow? fast? high bounce? low bounce?

by ashkor87 Snow White and the 7 dwarves! Seems appropriate...for this tournament...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:56 am
They were the 8 best this year. But I'd still take Osaka over some of them. Maybe even in her current form. I really hope Osaka recommits to tennis full time. It kills me that a superstar is on the sidelines. Tennis needs her.

Such a shame that Rybakina isn't there... although she did lose to Clara Burel at the US Open, 4 and 4. :|

by ponchi101

anyway, even if they are, one can be much better than the rest, cant they? Non Sequitur !!
Oh, sure. If you look at the numbers, Iga more than doubles in points the #2 player, Ons. Maybe she is really on her way to becoming a double digits Slam winner.
But we said that about Naomi a couple of years ago, and we have seen what happened.
My only disagreement with you is your 90% vs my 60%. But I expect her to win, too.

About Rybakina. For some reason, the WTA site is not showing her match-history right now. And yes, I know she won Wimbledon. But she has not done much more since.
Anyway, we know we usually disagree about the rankings :)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:06 pm

Oh, sure. If you look at the numbers, Iga more than doubles in points the #2 player, Ons. Maybe she is really on her way to becoming a double digits Slam winner.
But we said that about Naomi a couple of years ago, and we have seen what happened.
My only disagreement with you is your 90% vs my 60%. But I expect her to win, too.

About Rybakina. For some reason, the WTA site is not showing her match-history right now. And yes, I know she won Wimbledon. But she has not done much more since.
Anyway, we know we usually disagree about the rankings :)
I just google "NAME results" and they come up in a timeline format at the top that's very easy to flip through. Rybakina is 12-8 since Wimbledon, but she has lost five times to eventual title winners (one was a final). Probably would help if she had Wimbledon points and was seeded at more tournaments. Here's her post-Wimbledon:

San Jose - lost to Kasatkina... won the first set, then lost 2 and 0! Kasatkina won the title.
Canada - lost to Gauff in a third-set TB
Cincinnati - lost quarterfinal to Keys right after Keys beat Swiatek
US Open - lost first round to Burel
Slovenia - lost final to Siniakova 7-6, 6-7, 4-6, who of course won the title.
Japan - lost early to Samsonova in straights. Samsonova won the title.
Tallinn - withdrew first round
Ostrava - lost to Krejcikova 6-4 in the third. Krejcikova won the title.
San Diego - withdrew first round
Guadalajara - lost to Pegula in Guadalajara 10-8 in the third. Pegula won the title.

by ponchi101 I guess I stand corrected. Thanks.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:55 pm I guess I stand corrected. Thanks.
I had that impression, too, then I looked at her results and at least on paper they weren't bad. Surprised she lost a final to Siniakova, though.

by ashkor87 Fabulous research! But if we simply add 2000 points to Rybakina for Wimbledon, she would be at 3860, comfortably qualified.#4 in fact.

by Deuce So, basically, Wimbledon doesn't count toward the WTA Finals, but it does count toward the ATP Finals?
Hmmm....

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:07 am Fabulous research! But if we simply add 2000 points to Rybakina for Wimbledon, she would be at 3860, comfortably qualified.#4 in fact.
Point granted. The AELTC really screwed up with that decision to ban Russians and Belarusians. And it spilled from there.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:07 am Fabulous research! But if we simply add 2000 points to Rybakina for Wimbledon, she would be at 3860, comfortably qualified.#4 in fact.
I didn't go that way because I didn't want to recalculate everyone's points with Wimbledon results. With a quick glance, I think Rybakina would still be #4, though. Currently, #4 is Gauff and she would only add 90 points, so Rybakina would still be above her with W points.

by Suliso Besides how many points should we add for Sabalenka and Kasatkina who were unable to play?

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:01 am Besides how many points should we add for Sabalenka and Kasatkina who were unable to play?
Maybe add their 2021 points for a gauge. But they made the top 8 anyway. Rybakina didn't. Kudermatova was the other one who might have gotten screwed by not having any Wimbledon points, since she was only defending 10 points and just missed out on the Top 8.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by Deuce No matter what Kasatkina is wearing, she always looks like a 12 year old girl.
And she never takes herself too seriously - I like that about her.

by Owendonovan The styling of that picture needs a lot of help, looks like a bad interpretation of the Spice Girls.

by meganfernandez Postiive impressions only: Iga looks smashing, Ons looks regal and gorgeous, love Kasatkina's color and style with sneakers - so her. Jessica's dress is a mini, which makes it look less Morticia Addams. Everyone's gorgeous.

by ponchi101 Some pretty good role-modeling there. Young, pretty, successful, athletic. Can't ask for more.

by ti-amie Pegula looks awesome. I didn't recognize her at all.

by ti-amie Day 1 Order of Play

UPCOMING
Oct 31
USA J. Pegula (3) vs GRE M. Sakkari (5)
UPCOMING
Oct 31
TUN O. Jabeur (2) vs BLR A. Sabalenka (7)
UPCOMING
Oct 31
USA C. Gauff/USA J. Pegula (3) vs CHN Y. Xu/CHN Z. Yang (6)
UPCOMING
Oct 31
CZE B. Krejcikova CZE/K. Siniakova (1) vs USA D. Krawczyk/NED D. Schuurs (8)

by ti-amie Day 2 Order of Play

UPCOMING
Nov 1
CAN G. Dabrowski/MEX G. Olmos (2) vs KAZ A. Danilina/BRA B. Haddad Maia (7)
UPCOMING
Nov 1
USA C. Gauff (4) vs FRA C. Garcia (6)
UPCOMING
Nov 1
POL I. Swiatek (1) vs RUS D. Kasatkina (8)
UPCOMING
Nov 1
RUS V. Kudermetova/BEL E. Mertens (4) vs UKR L. Kichenok/LAT J. Ostapenko (5)

by ti-amie Group Stage - Singles

Tracy Austin

(1) I. Swiatek
(4) C. Gauff
(6) C. Garcia
(8) D. Kasatkina

Nancy Richey

(2) O. Jabeur
(3) J. Pegula
(5) M. Sakkari
(7) A. Sabalenka

by ti-amie Group Stage - Doubles

Rosie Casals

(1) B. Krejcikova/K. Siniakova
(3) C. Gauff/J. Pegula
(6) Y. Xu/Z. Yang
(8) D. Krawczyk/D. Schuurs

Pam Shriver

(2) G. Dabrowski/G. Olmos
(4) V. Kudermetova/E. Mertens
(5) L. Kichenok/J. Ostapenko
(7) A. Danilina/B. Haddad Maia

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by Deuce Sabalenka came from 2-4 down in the 3rd set to beat Jabeur...

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:13 am Sabalenka came from 2-4 down in the 3rd set to beat Jabeur...
I turned away from the match and just saw the result. Ons did a Murray and there wasn't enough of a crowd for her to blame them...

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:34 am
Sakkari played well, and I thought Pegula looked a little flat. Maybe she will bounce back. Speaking of bounce, the ball is reportedly staying low on this surface. Pegula was frustrated by it.

by ashkor87 Good Intel...then Swiatek will not like the bounce either

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:30 pm Good Intel...then Swiatek will not like the bounce either
Yet she looked quite good in a routine win over Kasatkina today...

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:52 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:30 pm Good Intel...then Swiatek will not like the bounce either
Yet she looked quite good in a routine win over Kasatkina today...
Yeah, she was fully in form. I'm taking her over the field (and did before this match).

by Deuce Maybe someone could make a poll for this and also for the ATP Finals a little later.
I think there are 10 options available in the poll, and so 8 fits into 10 easily...

by Deuce Garcia over Gauff 6-4, 6-3...

by ti-amie Garcia has a lot to prove here.

by ti-amie Day 3 Order of Play

WTA Finals Stadium Court

CZE B. KREJCIKOVA/CZE K. SINIAKOVA (1) vs CHN Y. XU/CHN Z. YANG (6)
UPCOMING
TUN O. JABEUR (2) vs USA J. PEGULA (3)
UPCOMING
GRE M. SAKKARI (5) vs BLR A. SABALENKA (7)
UPCOMING
USA C. GAUFF/USA J. PEGULA (3) vs USA D. KRAWCZYK/NED D. SCHUURS (8)

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:18 am Garcia has a lot to prove here.
I think they pretty much all have 'something to prove' here, except for Swiatek and Gauff - Swiatek because she has already proven than she is the #1 player, and Gauff because she is still young.

But I think the other 6 all have some kind of pressure (external and/or internal) to prove that they belong in the year end finals.

Meanwhile, Dabrowski and Olmos - the #2 seeds - are right now playing terribly on their way to what certainly looks like it will be a straight set loss to Danilina and Haddad Maia. Very surprising.

by ashkor87
Why specifically Garcia?

by ponchi101 Agree with Ashkor. Actually, I say Garcia has nothing to prove in her career. She is a very talented player that simply was missing something.
She has never reached a Slam final, so we know where she stands. She is very good. She is not a consistent champion.
If next year she drops out of the top 20, I will not be surprised.

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:28 am
Why specifically Garcia?
There's been a bit of churn in her team and it happened right after what some would consider the best run of her career. It's not clear who her coach is now - it may be her father again - but we talked about it in the Coaching Merry-go-Round thread.

by ti-amie Day 4 Order of Play

WTA Finals Stadium Court

STARTS AT 3:00 PM
CAN G. DABROWSKI/MEX G. OLMOS (2) vs UKR L. KICHENOK/LAT J. OSTAPENKO (5)
NOT BEFORE 5:00 PM
POL I. SWIATEK (1) vs FRA C. GARCIA (6)
NOT BEFORE 7:00 PM
USA C. GAUFF (4) vs RUS D. KASATKINA (8)
FOLLOWED BY
RUS V. KUDERMETOVA/BEL E. MERTENS (4) vs KAZ A. DANILINA/BRA B. HADDAD MAIA (7)

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie This is how it started...

Then came this...

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:10 am ...
Why specifically Garcia?
There's been a bit of churn in her team and it happened right after what some would consider the best run of her career. It's not clear who her coach is now - it may be her father again - but we talked about it in the Coaching Merry-go-Round thread.
Prove that it is HER, not the coach? Alright, I can go with that.

by ti-amie

by Deuce Sabalenka is doing her Jekyll & Hyde again...
She beat herself in the 1st set (2-6). and was down 0-3 in the 2nd.
Then she won 4 straight games, as Sakkari is also doing a Jekyll & Hyde thing...
4-4, 2nd set...

by Deuce ... and Sakkari and Sabalenka combine to beat Sabalenka 6-2, 6-4...

Sakkari is now through to the semi-finals.

by ashkor87
ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:10 am
Why specifically Garcia?
Ah, ok, was just wondering what the rationale was ..
In ' the most to prove' I would say Sakkari and Sabalenka...Sakkari to prove she belongs at this level, Sabalenka to prove she can win a big one ..we shall see but Sakkari is certainly doing well.

by JazzNU Sakkari and Sabalenka have made it to back to back WTA Finals. I don't think either of them have to prove that they belong at this level. It takes quite a level of consistent play to do that.

WTA Finals is great and the competition is elite, but in terms of the "big one" I don't think anyone who hangs it over any player's head is going to count this as if it's a Grand Slam. Unless there's been some shift in like the last year, I don't recall many acting like Aga, Domi, or Elina won a Slam. it's exceptional in terms of prize money and it gives you a lot more leeway in tournament entry in the future, but the public doesn't seem to view it as if it's on the same level as a Grand Slam. I saw more than a few here and elsewhere saying Elina didn't have what it takes to win a Slam just months after she won the WTA Finals and that kept up consistently in the following years.

by ponchi101 It is placed below the Slams, and a bit over the 1000's. Other than that, I say it is regarded properly. I don't think anybody would trade a WTA Finals for any of the slams.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:54 am
ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:10 am

Why specifically Garcia?
Ah, ok, was just wondering what the rationale was ..
In ' the most to prove' I would say Sakkari and Sabalenka...Sakkari to prove she belongs at this level, Sabalenka to prove she can win a big one ..we shall see but Sakkari is certainly doing well.
I think Sabalenka more than Sakkari, but just in general, not at this event. It's incredible Sabalenka even qualified considering the state of her game in January. I think she is playing with 2022 house money this week.

I'm not sure anyone is playing with any pressure... or more than normal. Maybe Ons since she came so close to a big prize this year and has been vocal about her #1 aspirations. I thought maybe Pegula since she's coming off her biggest title. She's been flat, though. She has played a lot of tennis this year, might be showing.

by ti-amie Day 5 Order of Play

WTA Finals Stadium Court

Starts at 01:30 PM

CHN Y. XU/CHN Z. YANG (6) vs USA D. KRAWCZYK/NED D. SCHUURS (8)
NOT BEFORE 3:30 PM
USA J. PEGULA (3) vs BLR A. SABALENKA (7)
TUN O. JABEUR (2) vs GRE M. SAKKARI (5)
FOLLOWED BY
CZE B. KREJCIKOVA/CZE K. SINIAKOVA (1) vs USA C. GAUFF/USA J. PEGULA (3)

by Deuce Gauff got off to a good start - she was hitting well... but then she tried to blow her lead in the 1st set with a bunch of bad errors - and she did blow it... Kasatkina was serving for the set.
But then Kasatkina politely declined the set, and tried to give it to it to Gauff in the tiebreak. But Gauff decided she didn’t want it, either, and gave it back to Kasatkina.
It was not good tennis.

The 2nd set wasn’t very good, either - Gauff lost it much more than Kasatkina won it.

Gauff is now 0-4 in this tournament, singles and doubles combined.

If Kasatkina ever develops a genuine self-confidence, watch out, because she’s a very clean ball striker, and she relentlessly chases every ball down.
I’d love to see that happen - because she has such a genuine and refreshing personality... but I won’t hold my breath.

by meganfernandez Sabalenka looked pretty good in beating Pegula in straights. She wobbled serving it out at 5-3 and took it to 7-5, but she her UFEs and serve were in the plus column. Pegula looked gassed. She put up a fight but has been a little flat in all three matches. Not sure how she's going to partner with Gauff in doubles vs #1 in a couple hours.

by ti-amie Day 6 Order of Play

WTA Finals Stadium Court

Starts at 01:30 PM

UKR L. KICHENOK/LAT J. OSTAPENKO (5) vs KAZ A. DANILINA/BRA B. HADDAD MAIA (7)
NOT BEFORE 3:30 PM
FRA C. GARCIA (6) vs RUS D. KASATKINA (8)
POL I. SWIATEK (1) vs USA C. GAUFF (4)
FOLLOWED BY
CAN G. DABROWSKI/MEX G. OLMOS (2) vs RUS V. KUDERMETOVA/BEL E. MERTENS (4)

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:35 pm Sabalenka looked pretty good in beating Pegula in straights. She wobbled serving it out at 5-3 and took it to 7-5, but she her UFEs and serve were in the plus column. Pegula looked gassed. She put up a fight but has been a little flat in all three matches. Not sure how she's going to partner with Gauff in doubles vs #1 in a couple hours.
Both Pegula and Gauff have looked pretty bad in both singles and doubles thus far - a combined (singles and doubles) 0 wins, 7 losses.
Bizarre.

Pegula is finished her singles (0-3), Gauff has Swiatek (#1 seed) left to play in singles, and the pair have Krejcikova/Siniakova (#1 seeds) left to play in doubles.
It's looking like a combined 0-9 is quite possible.

by Deuce Sakkari dismisses Jabeur easily, routinely.
Sakkari has found consistency at a high level of play, which is rather surprising to more than a few people.

Jabeur has had a good year, and has won her share of matches, obviously. But if she really wants to take the extra step and start at least being competitive in the big matches, she needs to forget about being the 'Minister of Happiness', and start being the 'Minister of Intensity'.

by Deuce
Deuce wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:07 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:35 pm Sabalenka looked pretty good in beating Pegula in straights. She wobbled serving it out at 5-3 and took it to 7-5, but she her UFEs and serve were in the plus column. Pegula looked gassed. She put up a fight but has been a little flat in all three matches. Not sure how she's going to partner with Gauff in doubles vs #1 in a couple hours.
Both Pegula and Gauff have looked pretty bad in both singles and doubles thus far - a combined (singles and doubles) 0 wins, 7 losses.
Bizarre.

Pegula is finished her singles (0-3), Gauff has Swiatek (#1 seed) left to play in singles, and the pair have Krejcikova/Siniakova (#1 seeds) left to play in doubles.
Make it 0-8 now for both Gauff and Pegula, as they lost quickly and badly to Krejcikova/Siniakova (2-6, 1-6).
The only chance remaining for them to break free of zero wins is Gauff playing Swiatek tomorrow - so... not very likely.

It's both surprising and disappointing that their season ends on a significantly sour note like this. Not doing well at the WTA Finals would be one thing - it happens... but to have zero wins and 9 losses between them is pretty extreme. It's unfortunate, as well, because both of them had impressive years in both singles and doubles.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:07 am
Deuce wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:07 pm
Bizarre.

Make it 0-8 now for both Gauff and Pegula, as they lost quickly and badly to Krejcikova/Siniakova (2-6, 1-6).
The only chance remaining for them to break free of zero wins is Gauff playing Swiatek tomorrow - so... not very likely.

It's both surprising and disappointing that their season ends on a significantly sour note like this. Not doing well at the WTA Finals would be one thing - it happens... but to have zero wins and 9 losses between them is pretty extreme. It's unfortunate, as well, because both of them had impressive years in both singles and doubles.
Gauff and Pegula both have to play BJK Cup next week, right? Maybe they decided to prioritize that and save some energy. Otherwise, pretty disappointing tournament for both, obviously. But it's also the toughest draw you could get! Like starting a Slam in the quarterfinals. Oh well.

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:54 pm
Aha. Knew she wasn't close to 100%.

by ti-amie

People keep saying the match was messy but fun. All I got was the messy.

Garcia, with both of her parents looking on, won in three.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by skatingfan Too bad for Pegula/Gauff that they couldn't get any going this week - combined 0-6 at a WTA Finals on home soil has to hurt a bit.

by Deuce ^ It's actually 0-9 for Gauff and Pegula combined.
Given Gauff's young age and inexperience, one must wonder how this drubbing over the entire week will affect her over the next year or so.

My pick in singles is still alive - if only barely. Yes, the Kasatkina - Garcia match was crazy... I would have been happy no matter who won it.

Kasatkina really has to do something about her lack of confidence and self-belief - especially when serving. She has a good serve - first and second serves - but she doesn't know it. She gets nervous and tight and either throws up puff balls or double faults.

by ashkor87 Swiatek as destructive as ever against Coco..she always wins 3 and 0! Predictable! Coco is clearly not ready yet, commendable to get this far of course..

by Suliso I think these year end tournaments show better where you are compared with your peers than a Slam (hard courts). No lucky draws, nowhere to hide.

by ptmcmahon Not sure how losing to the best player this year makes a player “not ready.”

Unless you mean not ready to be the best player in the world this year :)

by Deuce It's not just her loss to Swiatek in what was essentially a 'nothing' match (Swiatek had already clinched her spot, and Gauff had no chance of going any further) - it's the fact that she didn't even win a set the entire week, and never looked like a contender. Add that she didn't win a match in doubles, either...

It just seemed that she was too in awe of being in the final 8. If she had met these same players in a tournament - even in a Major -, I think she would have been more competitive. It seems that she put too much pressure on herself here, and was overwhelmed with being classed in the 'best 8'.
And so saying that she's 'not ready' for this type of playing environment seems quite accurate and appropriate to me, given her age and comparative lack of experience.
She will grow emotionally. She will gain experience and be more balanced. It's all a learning process.

by ti-amie Cori has made great advances in her game in the last year. Is she a top ten player? I think it depends on how you define what you want in a player who has reached the top ten in their sport. At this point I think she's top twenty using old school thinking but not top ten. I'm hoping that she is allowed to continue what has been a slow and steady pace that's allowed her to mature physically and mentally.

by ti-amie It's Sakkari who is reeling at the moment as Garcia, who has every right to be tired, who routines the first set 6-3

by ti-amie Sakkari's First Serve percentage is 37%

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:20 pm It's Sakkari who is reeling at the moment as Garcia, who has every right to be tired, who routines the first set 6-3
Garcia is just pressuring Sakkari into uncomfortableness. She's playing very aggressively, and Sakkari is growing more and more frustrated at not being able to set up her natural playing style and speed.

The question is whether Garcia can maintain this level psychologically or not.

by ti-amie Garcia is up 4-0 in the second set. This is tennis and things can change at the drop of a hat but Garcia has so far exposed Sakkari's weakness, her inability to adjust her game to counter what her opponent is doing. Garcia is not giving her any room to do that though. This is not the match I thought it would be.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by Deuce And with that comprehensive win, my pick is into the Final....

by Deuce Sabalenka is halfway there after winning the 1st set over Swiatek.
I very much believe Swiatek will win this match - because she has shown a very consistent ability to dig down and find that extra gear when needed, and because Sabalenka is known to fall apart and beat herself more than any other player, living or dead.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie I'm just tuning in and see Iga dropped the first set but is up 2-0 in the second.

by ti-amie It seems that after dropping the first set Iga took a 6 1/2 minute break and came back to race to a 4-0 lead and win the second set 6-2.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:40 am It seems that after dropping the first set Iga took a 6 1/2 minute break and came back to race to a 4-0 lead and win the second set 6-2.
Whether she took the break or not, it was a foregone conclusion that she'd come back strong in the 2nd set.
Sabalenka left the court after losing the 2nd set...

by ashkor87
ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:32 pm Not sure how losing to the best player this year makes a player “not ready.”

Unless you mean not ready to be the best player in the world this year :)
But she didn't lose only to the best player..she lost to everyone!

by ptmcmahon Oh duh, that was last lights match. My scoreboard is doing funny things and I thought we were talking about a match today (ie the one on now.) Oops.

by Deuce For the fist time in a long time, I see some doubt in Swiatek's eyes and mannerisms.
Could Sabalenka win this match?

by Deuce Wow. That was quite surprising. Not only that Sabalenka won, but the way that she ran away with that final set.
All credit to her! 👍

by ponchi101 Aryna/Garcia. Like we all expected...
Wow. Obviously I couldn't see it, because they did not show a single match this week (they will show the final tomorrow), but the score seems comprehensive.
Let's go, Aryna!

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:31 am Aryna/Garcia. Like we all expected...
Wow. Obviously I couldn't see it, because they did not show a single match this week (they will show the final tomorrow), but the score seems comprehensive.
Let's go, Aryna!
Happy for her after the close US Open semi vs Iga, when she won the first set as well. This time she closed the deal, and emphatically. I still think Sabalenka is more likely to win a Slam than not... She only 24. Le'ts see if she can win this one. Garcia won their only match this year, in Cincy, three sets.

by ashkor87 Sabalenka always had what it takes to beat Swiatek, this time she put it together..hope she can do it again

by ptmcmahon
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:31 am Aryna/Garcia. Like we all expected...
Checking predictions, I see among the 11 of us that did it, only one person picked either of them in the final....

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:11 pm Sabalenka always had what it takes to beat Swiatek, this time she put it together..hope she can do it again
What is it exactly that beats Swiatek? Relentless depth and power?

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:46 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:11 pm Sabalenka always had what it takes to beat Swiatek, this time she put it together..hope she can do it again
Playing semantics here, but consistent depth. Iga is great with angles and positioning, but she is not as powerful as other players. I don't know if power helps that much, because she is very good at redirecting it; a bit like Hingis there.
But sure, relentless depth and power works against 99% of all players. You need to be Serena or Steffi to beat that, because they had it too. And most of the times, more than the other player.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:09 pm
Playing semantics here, but consistent depth. Iga is great with angles and positioning, but she is not as powerful as other players. I don't know if power helps that much, because she is very good at redirecting it; a bit like Hingis there.
But sure, relentless depth and power works against 99% of all players. You need to be Serena or Steffi to beat that, because they had it too. And most of the times, more than the other player.
Funny, I thought about saying consistent instead of relentless, and I also thought that "relentless depth and power" would beat most players. You also have to serve well, but I think that's also the case for most matches, just taken for granted because it's a cornerstone of tennis. Beyond the direct benefits of a good serve, it helps tip the pressure game in your favor.

I'm sincerely curious what type of game style beats Iga - or can keep up with her enough to earn chances at the end, which is really what you need to do. This year, she has lost to: Barty (but that's probably not a good example), Collins, Ostapenko, Keys, Cornet, Garcia, BHM, Krejcikova and Sabalenka. So you think consistent depth is what best unlocks chances vs Iga?

by ashkor87 Yes..I believe you have to push her back, not let her come forward to attack ...Collins did that at the AO, Ostapenko did it, Krejcikova did more, came to the net and put away the volleys..Swiatek's shots curl up a bit too much, makes it possible to volley .and, of course, serve big!
Trouble is, even if you do all that,.she may still beat you,! Necessary but not sufficient condition...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:05 pm Yes..I believe you have to push her back, not let her come forward to attack ...Collins did that at the AO, Ostapenko did it, Krejcikova did more, came to the net and put away the volleys..Swiatek's shots curl up a bit too much, makes it possible to volley .and, of course, serve big!
Trouble is, even if you do all that,.she may still beat you,! Necessary but not sufficient condition...
thanks! Yeah, you have to execute it very well and also defend and return well, but glad to know the game plan. How did Cornet beat her? Low bounces on grass?

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:36 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:05 pm Yes..I believe you have to push her back, not let her come forward to attack ...Collins did that at the AO, Ostapenko did it, Krejcikova did more, came to the net and put away the volleys..Swiatek's shots curl up a bit too much, makes it possible to volley .and, of course, serve big!
thanks! Yeah, you have to execute it very well and also defend and return well, but glad to know the game plan. How did Cornet beat her? Low bounces on grass?
@Ashkor. I am not that high in her. She is damn good; that is clear. But she is not an unbeatable monster that will beat you regardless. Megan's list of players is long enough.
She has had a great year; that is perfectly clear too. But this is not Martina's 83, Steffi's 88 or Serena's 2015. Iga went dry on grass, and has been beaten. She is at the top, but her top is not the peaks we saw with, for example, the three players I just mentioned.
@Megan. Cornet beat her at W with an old recipe: junk, junk and more junk. She played a lovely, tricky match, and kept changing everything all the time. The kind of match that makes you wonder why Alize is not ranked higher.

by JazzNU
Swiatek's own answer during her presser emphasizes she thinks it's the power that beats her and she couldn't keep up with it.

by JazzNU

by ti-amie WTA Finals Stadium Court

Starts at 05:30 PM

Final
CZE B. KREJCIKOVA/CZE K. SINIAKOVA (1) vs RUS V. KUDERMETOVA/BEL E. MERTENS (4)
NOT BEFORE 8:00 PM
Final
BLR A. SABALENKA (7) vs FRA C. GARCIA (6)

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:49 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:36 pm
@Ashkor. I am not that high in her. She is damn good; that is clear. But she is not an unbeatable monster that will beat you regardless. Megan's list of players is long enough.
She has had a great year; that is perfectly clear too. But this is not Martina's 83, Steffi's 88 or Serena's 2015. Iga went dry on grass, and has been beaten. She is at the top, but her top is not the peaks we saw with, for example, the three players I just mentioned.
@Megan. Cornet beat her at W with an old recipe: junk, junk and more junk. She played a lovely, tricky match, and kept changing everything all the time. The kind of match that makes you wonder why Alize is not ranked higher.
Yes, I agree Swiatek is not Serena or Stefanie...but she is by far the best player right now..
As for W, I think she was uncomfortable even in practice, she was uncertain, full of self-doubt .that won't happen again, probably

by Deuce The #4 seeds Kudermetova/Mertens beat the #1 seeds Siniakova/Krejcikova in the Final.
Rather surprising to me. But - hey - good for them!

Siniakova/Krejcikova started very slowly, but picked it up and won the 2nd set. And you'd think they'd carry that momentum into that dumb 'match tiebreak' (instead of a proper 3rd set) - and they did, to a degree. They got out to a significant lead in the 'match tiebreak', but then blew the lead, losing 9-11.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by JazzNU

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:06 am
Look

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:39 am The #4 seeds Kudermetova/Mertens beat the #1 seeds Siniakova/Krejcikova in the Final.

Siniakova/Krejcikova started very slowly, but picked it up and won the 2nd set. And you'd think they'd carry that momentum into that dumb 'match tiebreak' (instead of a proper 3rd set) - and they did, to a degree. They got out to a significant lead in the 'match tiebreak', but then blew the lead, losing 9-11.
How big was their lead? I couldn't watch it. Not on TC Plus.

I'm still not over Mertens splitting with Hsieh Su-Wei and going back to Kudermatova, although I have no idea what the circumstances were. I just know we need Hsieh back.

by ti-amie

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:18 am
Deuce wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:39 am The #4 seeds Kudermetova/Mertens beat the #1 seeds Siniakova/Krejcikova in the Final.

^ I think it was 7-2 or 7-3 in the 'match tiebreak'.
You should move to Canada - the entire tournament - singles and doubles - has been on TSN here.
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:18 am I'm still not over Mertens splitting with Hsieh Su-Wei and going back to Kudermatova, although I have no idea what the circumstances were. I just know we need Hsieh back.
Did Su-Wei have a baby? I read somewhere several months ago that she was pregnant - although I recall the source of the information being somewhat obscure. It would explain her disappearance from tennis, though.

I preferred watching her give people fits in singles. THAT was always quite enjoyable.

Of course, Mertens partnered with Sabalenka in doubles prior to joining up with Su-Wei. Mertens and Sabalenka were quite successful as a team.
Su-Wei's partner at that same time was Strycova - and they were quite successful, as well.
Sabalenka quit doubles at about the same time as Strycova retired - and so the obvious and logical thing was for Mertens and Su-Wei to partner up...

by ashkor87

I'm still not over Mertens splitting with Hsieh Su-Wei and going back to Kudermatova, although I have no idea what the circumstances were. I just know we need Hsieh back.
Agree.. Hsieh is a magician, there is nobody like her

by Deuce Et Voila!
Caroline Garcia wins the WTA Final (she was my pick from the beginning - see top of page :D ).
She thus takes home the Billie Jean King Trophy. Not to be confused with the Billie Jean King Cup... or the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center (enough, already - there are many other female tennis players who’ve had a significant impact on the game - let them have a piece of the pie, too!).

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:04 am Did Su-Wei have a baby? I read somewhere several months ago that she was pregnant - although I recall the source of the information being somewhat obscure. It would explain her disappearance from tennis, though.
I think this was a rumor. She has looked as thin as ever on social media.

by ponchi101 A very well played final that deserved a third set, for the fans. The Winners/UE ratio was well in the positive for both players.
Caroline won by playing better tennis for 10 minutes; a good TB and an immediate break of serve to start the second. Up to #4.
Can she win a slam? Sure, she was in the semis of the USO and her serve is one of the very best at the moment. Will she? We were so sure a few years ago, and then she went away. Hard to say one way or another.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by JazzNU

Hsieh hasn't played since 2021.

And I've generally found it odd, I found it weird last year too and said as much, how much people were pretending like Elise and Su-Wei had a long term doubles partnership. Literally stole things that Elise did with Aryna and acted like it was original to them and then people were all put out when Elise wasn't playing with her this year, even though Su-Wei hasn't played at all in 2022. I do not get any of it

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:31 pm

by ti-amie Hantuchova was in the house last night.

by ponchi101 She flipped the coin. To say that she is looking gorgeous, for those of us that had a crush on her, would be an understatement. That GIF does her no favors.
Also. Chrissie was there too. She is looking very good, considering what she has gone through with her cancer. I hope she is in full remission, and that it does not come back.

by ti-amie

by ptmcmahon
Mission succeeded :)