by JazzNU Why no thread for the new season?

Season specific stuff here. Everything else in the NBA Random thread.

by JazzNU Here is something that can technically go in either, but is highly relevant for this season, so I'll put it here to kick off the thread.

by ponchi101 I don't think there had been any news worth talking yet. ;)
Until, of course, Nash's firing. I was always puzzled by the hiring, anyway. A great PG, for sure, but no credentials whatsoever to have been named coach.

by skatingfan Has the season started yet? ;)

by JazzNU

by ti-amie Zion? Really? I haven't been paying close attention but I find it hard to believe he's a starting All Star. I'll try to catch aa Pelicans game b4 the break.

by ponchi101 It's a popularity game, and that is fine.
If it were only competitive (there is a way...)

by patrick
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:32 pm Zion? Really? I haven't been paying close attention but I find it hard to believe he's a starting All Star. I'll try to catch aa Pelicans game b4 the break.
Me too as Zion been out for weeks with injury.

by ti-amie

by patrick Until Durant’s injury, Nets were doing well

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:32 pm Zion? Really? I haven't been paying close attention but I find it hard to believe he's a starting All Star. I'll try to catch aa Pelicans game b4 the break.
Catch a game, but Zion won't be in it. Pelicans were having an amazing year up until Ingram and Zion were injured. Ingram is back and they are trying to get back on track. Zion makes them more dominant, but they are solid without him. They have a little bit of an easier schedule the next couple of weeks than they did the last 2 that should get them back into a better place in the standings.

People were definitely mad about Zion being one of the starters. There's quite a bit of conversation about the lineups this year. I'll post the reserves. People are big mad about those too.

by JazzNU

by JazzNU Dillion Brooks suspended one game, Donovan Mitchell fined. Brooks should've been suspended 3 games. One game doesn't' seem like enough to curb his asshole behavior.

by JazzNU

by ti-amie I'm tired of Kyrie.

by patrick Someone on twitter said if Tsai would have already given Irving the Supermax, this would not be happening.

I say Irving needs to stay in Brooklyn until season is over then Brooklyn needs to let him be a free agent. When free agent, teams do not need to pay him the big money he is searching for despite having at least four 20 point 4th quarter games.

by ponchi101 He is one of the best. There is no doubt.
He is also very disruptive. They sit in 4th, and they don't need the distraction right now.

by ti-amie

Wait what happened? I thought it was a sure thing he was going to the Lakers. Did Lebron say no?

by ponchi101 In theory, that makes the Mavs serious contenders. Luka and Kyrie are top players.
However: whose team is it now? Can these two share the ball?

by Suliso Does Irving + Doncic really make a lot of sense? Great players sure, but same position...

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:20 pm Does Irving + Doncic really make a lot of sense? Great players sure, but same position...
That too. But I think that both can move between shooting and point guard easily. And the positions are no longer set in stone, as before.

by Suliso True, maybe even more relevant is can two guys with big egos coexist and actually enhance each other. On the other hand Dallas has to take a risk if they want to become contenders and not lose Doncic in few years. Luka has been asking for help for a couple years already.

by ti-amie Lebron would take Doncic in a heartbeat.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:15 pm Lebron would take Doncic in a heartbeat.
Because Lebron is past the point in which he needs to be the #1 guy in the team. I am not sure if Kyrie is there (and don't know if Luka is also, as what Suliso said. This is, and has been for a few years, HIS TEAM).

by ti-amie His stans blame all the problems on Westbrook.

I haven't watched the Lakers much this season but when I have I notice that in the first half Lebron plays a strong aggressive game. Come the third and fourth quarters his age begins to show. Also, if you breathe hard on Davis he breaks. The most consistent player, at least last season was Westbrook.

As you said ponchi Kyrie is disruptive and if I'm Doncic's agent he's out of there as soon as possible.

by ti-amie
Suliso wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:28 pm True, maybe even more relevant is can two guys with big egos coexist and actually enhance each other. On the other hand Dallas has to take a risk if they want to become contenders and not lose Doncic in few years. Luka has been asking for help for a couple years already.
I don't think Kyrie is the answer.

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:18 pm His stans blame all the problems on Westbrook.

I haven't watched the Lakers much this season but when I have I notice that in the first half Lebron plays a strong aggressive game. Come the third and fourth quarters his age begins to show. Also, if you breathe hard on Davis he breaks. The most consistent player, at least last season was Westbrook.

As you said ponchi Kyrie is disruptive and if I'm Doncic's agent he's out of there as soon as possible.
Westbrook is playing his same game as always. He scores what he is given, rebounds what he can, dishes as needed. But his turnovers are more than average, and they make him look not good.
And I never thought I would defend Lebron, but he is playing for all the team. He assists and rebounds, but when the time comes, he has to be the scorer. I mean, he IS Lebron, he is no John Stockton. But the team is perennially disorganized. Plus, what you say. I would have to be the physio guy for AD (or Zion).

by patrick Think Irving will not be in Dallas when October starts

by Suliso
patrick wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 am Think Irving will not be in Dallas when October starts
If so Dallas has blown up the current roster for no reason at all... But knowing a bit what kind of strange guy Irving is what you say is not unlikely at all.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:15 am
patrick wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:06 am Think Irving will not be in Dallas when October starts
If so Dallas has blown up the current roster for no reason at all... But knowing a bit what kind of strange guy Irving is what you say is not unlikely at all.
I read at least one article (from the Fort Worth Star) basically saying that. That it will not work and the Mavs will regret this move.
I don't know if they let Jalen Brunson go or he left because he wanted, but that was the way to go. He is playing good ball for the Knicks and had a good chemistry with Luka. So maybe they have made two moves that will not pay off.

by Fastbackss

Phil Knight being a king in the big moment by just taking it in.

I particularly smiled for this as I in the midst of reading his autobiography

by ponchi101 And THIS time, I say this record stands. He will add (at least) a good 2,000 more points to it (two more seasons, at least) and to break that it will take somebody coming into the league at 18, score like a maniac, and play until 44.
In other words, somebody exactly like him.

by patrick Westbrook is leaving Lakers and going to the Jazz in a three team trade. Just heard that he and Ham got into an argument at halftime. With him being gone, Lakers will somehow make it to a top 6 seed, IMO. Lakers getting Russell, who drafted him, from Timberwolves.

by ti-amie Westbrook, if I'm remembering his stats correctly, was the most consistent player on that team. So now they've got no one to blame if they don't find their way into the playoffs. They couldn't even win last night after Lebron set the scoring record.

by ti-amie The Athletic
@athletic@sportsfeed.me
Lakers trade Patrick Beverley, acquire Mo Bamba from Magic: Sources https://theathletic.com/4173532/2023/02 ... ade-magic/ The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired center Mo Bamba in a trade with the Orlando Magic, league sources tell The Athletic. Orlando receives guard Patrick Beverly in the deal. Here’s what you need to know:

The Lakers are sending a second-round draft compensation with Beverley to Orlando,... #Sports #News

https://sportsfeed.me/@athletic/109836494644457349

by ti-amie Bleacher Report :verified_business: 🤖
@BleacherReport@sportsbots.xyz
Russell Westbrook has interest in joining the Clippers or Heat if bought out by the Jazz, per @LawMurrayTheNU@twitter.com

by ti-amie ESPN :verified_business: 🤖
@espn@sportsbots.xyz
Breaking: The Rockets are acquiring John Wall as part of a three-team deal. The Clippers are sending Luke Kennard to the Grizzlies, and the Clippers are getting Eric Gordon, Danny Green and three second-round picks, sources told @wojespn@sportsbots.xyz.

by ponchi101 Danny Verde joins Kawhi again. They have had a lot of success, and are a very good defensive pair. :thumbsup:

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:35 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:15 am
I read at least one article (from the Fort Worth Star) basically saying that. That it will not work and the Mavs will regret this move.
I don't know if they let Jalen Brunson go or he left because he wanted, but that was the way to go. He is playing good ball for the Knicks and had a good chemistry with Luka. So maybe they have made two moves that will not pay off.

Jalen was likely gone regardless of what the Mavs offered, he wanted to be in NY. The problem is that Mavs were dumb enough to think Luka didn't need him and were shown differently from the start of this season. They could've been in on a Jalen replacement once he signed with the Knicks and they weren't, that's the issue. So this is a panic trade that is a 4-month rental and nothing else. Kyrie is under zero obligation to sign with them this summer. Mavs are hoping that the GM and coach, both of who he has an existing relationship with, are going to be able to convince him to sign with the team long term with in a place he likely wouldn't have considered if they weren't there. But many think the Lakers will land Kyrie in the off-season. Some of that is wishful thinking by delusional Laker fans, but there are actual insiders reporting that as a likelihood as well.

The rental aspect is suspect, but the Mavs weren't winning a damn thing with the current roster, so blowing it up is just whatever. It's more, you should make sure you're getting something in return when you blow it up. Mavs got something for sure, but enough to be a contender for this year and this year only since you're not promised anything else? It didn't seem likely at the time and seems decidedly less so today.

Luka and Kyrie are unlikely to work because Luka is the biggest ball hog in the league. Luka's got 4 or so months to adjust and we'll see if it's enough to convince Kyrie to stay. And that's 4 months assuming Kyrie stays healthy, which is assuming a lot.

by ponchi101 They were saying that last night. Dallas averages only 22 assists a game. And Luke gets 9 of those. So, yes, he has glue on his hand, once he gets the ball.

by JazzNU Missing a few, but these are most of the big ones

by ponchi101 Whoever survives the West playoffs will have nothing to face the Celtics. They'll be running on fumes.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 And he is in the same team as Metcalf? Because I know Pujols is another physical monster, but these teams are very uneven.
(Ok, they have Hassan Minhaj, but who can stop Metcalf from scoring?)

by Fastbackss Wow, miss a few hours and all that happened? Yeesh.

And why is that a picture of Jimmy Butler

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:43 pm And he is in the same team as Metcalf? Because I know Pujols is another physical monster, but these teams are very uneven.
I definitely don't know all of these people, but I don't think they are wildly uneven though I did think Dwyane's team had more of an advantage based on these lineups. I think Calvin will be on DK if necessary.

by JazzNU
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:15 am
And why is that a picture of Jimmy Butler
Just a popular meme for absolutely exhausted.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:44 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:43 pm And he is in the same team as Metcalf? Because I know Pujols is another physical monster, but these teams are very uneven.
I definitely don't know all of these people, but I don't think they are wildly uneven though I did think Dwyane's team had more of an advantage based on these lineups. I think Calvin will be on DK if necessary.
Ok, that made me feel better. I hardly know anybody.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:49 pm
Ok, that made me feel better. I hardly know anybody.

I think it's because it's in Salt Lake. It's not like it's typically a list of heavy hitters, but this is particularly underwhelming from a name recognition standpoint. NBA All Star weekend is an event that most are looking to attend and have fun at. That goes for both celebrities and fans. But in Salt Lake? That's a no, especially for black people (for many of us, it's more like a hell no). And they've got fairly strict alcohol laws in Utah. Their marijuana laws are antiquated. So I'm guessing the invites were turned down more this year than in others from all because it's outwardly at least, not appearing like it's possible to be the same level of fun party atmosphere it typically is.

Also, they usually pull from other local pro sports teams and I think SLC only has a MLS team. And then they'll pull in people from the host city. But who is from SLC or even Utah? It's not just Steve Young, Zach Wilson, and the Osmonds, but it's not a long list that'd be a big attraction either for NBA fans.

BUT, I think some of the people that are lesser stars might be able to actually play basketball. There's an actor there that I'm sure played college basketball, one of those guys is a Peloton instructor that I have to assume can play. And as bizarre as I find it, Peloton instructors have become minor celebrities. Go figure.

Arike and Diamond will no doubt still have to carry their teams.

by Suliso I very much would want to visit to Utah for few weeks. For the fantastic nature not to see all the religious weirdos of course. :)

by ponchi101 The religious weirdos are all in SLC. The rest of the state, especially around the border with Colorado, is very liberal.
I have done ARCHES and CANYONLAND, the two national parks to the south. They are wonderful, and the nearest town (Moab) is gorgeous. As you, I want to return to do Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef.

by Suliso I've been to about dozen national parks in US. Liked them all, but have never been to Utah or Colorado...

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:25 pm The religious weirdos are all in SLC. The rest of the state, especially around the border with Colorado, is very liberal.
I have done ARCHES and CANYONLAND, the two national parks to the south. They are wonderful, and the nearest town (Moab) is gorgeous. As you, I want to return to do Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef.
I'm not sure why that's your impression. Mormons are still all over that state. SLC has less Mormons now than it used to. Areas near Provo (where BYU is) and Ogden are still grand majority Mormon among others.

And how are areas "very liberal" while voting for the current Republican party? And the Colorado side of most of that Utah-Colorado border is the area Lauren Boebert represents. Wondering what county or area you're talking about that would be considered very liberal.

by JazzNU

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:07 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:25 pm The religious weirdos are all in SLC. The rest of the state, especially around the border with Colorado, is very liberal.
I'm not sure why that's your impression. Mormons are still all over that state. SLC has less Mormons now than it used to. Areas near Provo (where BYU is) and Ogden are still grand majority Mormon among others.

And how are areas "very liberal" while voting for the current Republican party? And the Colorado side of most of that Utah-Colorado border is the area Lauren Boebert represents. Wondering what county or area you're talking about that would be considered very liberal.
The areas I have been to. Moab is a very liberal town, with people smoking pot openly. LGBTQ friendly. The Castle Rock area is also very open.
Indeed, forgot about BYU and those sections. You make a point there.
My point: it is a very beautiful state. I would still not move there.

by ponchi101 That Slam Dunk contest role: Maybe time to retire that competition? It is not as if any big star is competing.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:56 pm
The areas I have been to. Moab is a very liberal town, with people smoking pot openly. LGBTQ friendly. The Castle Rock area is also very open.
Indeed, forgot about BYU and those sections. You make a point there.
My point: it is a very beautiful state. I would still not move there.
Ahh, I see. Could be a difference with how things are in SA, but LGBTQ friendly doesn't necessarily mean liberal. Unlikely to be far right, but not necessarily liberal. Pot smoking can be the same, especially that close to Colorado and their lenient recreational marijuana laws. Not saying Moab isn't liberal, but those two things alone don't tell me a ton. Orange County, CA is the best example of those two things not necessarily going hand in hand.

Been hearing about it for all the wrong reasons as of late, but Moab looks like a beautiful area.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:58 pm That Slam Dunk contest role: Maybe time to retire that competition? It is not as if any big star is competing.
Can't blame them either. I've heard more fan talk about getting rid of it than I've heard there been more of an official push to end it. I've seen some revamped ideas as well that are interesting, but most don't resemble the current format of the contest.

by ponchi101 It is, by now there is so very little you can do that it is truly new. The impressive dunks in real games are when somebody posterizes somebody else (ala Ja) or when somebody does a pretty alley-oop combo.
But we may have seen it all.

by JazzNU The best dunk contest we've had in 5 years easy. One of the ideas for revamping it is to move it earlier in the All Star schedule and make it a G-league competition. Those guys have nothing to lose and you see what can happen. That was a ton of fun, didn't matter that we barely knew the guy.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:16 am The best dunk contest we've had in 5 years easy. One of the ideas for revamping it is to move it earlier in the All Star schedule and make it a G-league competition. Those guys have nothing to lose and you see what can happen. That was a ton of fun, didn't matter that we barely knew the guy.
Totally. Made me eat my words about nothing new being done. And I agree, let the young guys from the G-league take over. They have the legs.

by ti-amie Mac McClung got a chance at the dunk contest. He wants a shot at the NBA.

By Tramel Raggs
February 20, 2023 at 7:00 a.m. EST

Mac McClung won the slam dunk contest with three perfect 50s. (Rick Bowmer/AP)

As the first player from the NBA’s developmental G League to participate in the All-Star Game slam dunk contest, Mac McClung is appreciative of the opportunities that come from being known as a viral dunker.

But as he graciously sits through interview after interview as he is peppered with questions about his highlight-reel days in Gate City, a small town in southwest Virginia, McClung can’t help but feel pigeonholed.

In the same vein as a boy band that’s looking to change its sound but is constantly reminded of its origin in bubble gum pop, McClung has spent the past six or so years trying to prove his abilities on the hardwood extend far beyond the dunking clips that put Gate City High on the map.

“On one hand, I feel like [being known as the White player who dunks is] something you can only embrace at this point,” McClung said. “But on the other hand, I love the game of basketball more than I like dunking. And while I truly can understand why people love to point it out, I’m way more than that, and I think that my numbers and in-game film show that.”

During Saturday’s dunk contest, which McClung won with ease, TNT’s broadcast team presented McClung as a YouTube novelty, not as an actual basketball player.

“Unfortunately for Mac, I do think that the highlight stuff can be a distraction for some of his colleagues and even some personnel scouts,” said Coby Karl, McClung’s coach with the Delaware Blue Coats. “When you have a preconceived notion of what someone is before you meet them, more times than not it’s going to impact your opinion. In Mac’s case, it becomes a distraction from who he truly is as a basketball player.”

McClung recently signed with the Philadelphia 76ers on a two-way contract after averaging 19.1 points and 4.7 assists with the Blue Coats. But making people see him as a basketball player, not as a viral sensation, has been one of the toughest parts of his journey.

Mac McClung was his team's leading scorer during the NBA Rising Stars showcase in Salt Lake City. (Rick Bowmer/AP)

The night before the dunk contest, the 6-foot-2 guard led his team at the Rising Stars showcase with 10 points on 4-for-8 shooting to go with two assists and two rebounds in nine minutes.

Three collegiate seasons, split between Georgetown and Texas Tech, saw McClung average just under 15 points, but on the night of the 2021 draft he went to sleep without hearing his name called. Following a brief stint with the Chicago Bulls in which he recorded his first minutes and points as an NBA player, McClung joined the South Bay Lakers, the Los Angeles Lakers’ G League affiliate. In 26 games, he averaged 21.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 7.7 assists, earning the G League’s Rookie of the Year honor as well as a call-up for the Lakers’ regular season finale. But in the offseason, he was cut.

The Golden State Warriors offered McClung an invitation to training camp this season but waived him at the end.

“I just try to focus on the things I can control,” McClung said. “But I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t tough on me, especially with the Lakers. I was rookie of the year over there, we were winning, and I was just waiting for a turn that never came. Honestly, it hurts when you feel like you’re doing everything right, but your dreams don’t get any closer.”

Given McClung’s celebrity, his journey to the NBA has been chronicled in a way that’s foreign to most G League players.

But Karl, who faced a similar route through the professional ranks after starring at Boise State, said many players find themselves in an awkward position: They’ve dominated the G League but either don’t have the skills to do it at the next level or haven’t had an opportunity to prove they can.

“When it comes to an NBA team, 99.9 percent of the time they already have the guys that they want taking the shots and handling the ball,” Karl said. “So while the highlights, stats and accolades may move the needle on social media, it won’t necessarily get you out of the G. The question that every G League player must answer is how can they impact the game from an auxiliary role.”

To assist in showing his potential as a complementary piece, the Blue Coats shifted McClung’s role from ball-dominant player to more minutes off the ball. Following a brief adjustment period, he has settled in nicely.

Delaware is 11-2 in its past 13 games following a middling start, and McClung is playing some of the most well-balanced basketball of his career, shooting 57.6 percent from the field and 50 percent from three-point range.

“When we got Mac, we knew that he had a great first step, which allowed him to get to the bucket almost at will,” Karl said. “But since we moved him off of the ball, he’s shown that he can be a really good spot-up shooter, which has become one of the most important skills to have in today’s game.”

As a two-way player, there’s no guarantee McClung will play even one second with the 76ers, but getting this opportunity is a necessary step in his journey.

“I’m just a big believer in God’s timing and everything happening for a reason,” he said. “I feel like my story has been a challenge for a reason and I just need to wait my turn. When it’s my turn, I’ll need to be ready. That’s one thing I know for sure.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ba-career/

by ponchi101 I understand that it is incredibly tough. SUPER, super tough.
But this is a league that if you can shoot, rebound, assist or any other basketball skill in a way that will help a team, it will find you. You can be in the backwoods of Namibia, and the NBA will find you.
If he is a known player and he is not permanently in the league, there has got to be a reason.

by JazzNU Not loving this article honestly. Sort of woe is me. Shams sat down with him for an interview and Mac came off as nothing but grateful to be in this situation, not "this is great BUT..." He has signed a shoe deal off of all of this too, he's making out well, better than most G leaguers who don't have a famous name.

by ponchi101 As we are approaching the end of the regular season, an MVP poll has been posted.
You have 6 votes to spread amongst 3 picks. Like: 3 for the 1st place, 2 for the 2nd, 1 for the third.
Or any combination. But you have a maximum of 3 votes for a given pick.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 That pretty much should do it for the Lakers. With AD also having a thing here and there, they just can't compete.

by JazzNU

by ti-amie Whoa

by ponchi101 Right now, scheduled to meet the Warriors in the first round of playoffs.
Uhm, rooting for the Kings. What a feeling.

by Suliso Anyone else thinking that Dallas acquiring Kyrie Irving will be in contention for a self inflicted disaster of a decade? Mawericks has been in a free fall since he joined and Luka's performance has dived as well. Nobody seems happy there.

by ponchi101 I have been talking about it with a friend down here since Kyrie joined the Mavs. Don't get me wrong: Kyrie is an incredible player, certainly one of the best. But there is something odd. He joined the Celtics and they were a disaster. He joined the Nets, with KD and Harden, and we saw where that went. And now, as you say. He joined the Mavs and they are about to miss the playoffs straight, and perhaps miss the play in.
I think JazzNu mentioned also that these two guys simply could not live together. The moment Luka gets the ball, it is glued to his hand. He plays at a very slow pace, and that is different than Kyrie's pace. And Kyrie is also a ball hog, so as good as those two are, they do seem like a really bad combination.
I think the only player Kyrie can play with is Lebron. They did get that ring, so it has worked in the past. But I agree with you: that trade is not working well at all.

by Suliso I'm reading that that Irving is a toxic influence in the locker room. True or not who knows, but the history you list seems to indicate that it might be.

by JazzNU No, that's not true at all. That's strictly a media narrative because they don't like Kyrie. Kyrie is very, very well liked by the players which is why he was repeatedly elected to the leadership of the player's union. You cannot go by the media on Kyrie and his likability, and it's even worse if it's a Boston writer. He is in no way a locker room cancer.

Kyrie to Dallas doesn't crack the top 10 of worst moves in a decade, and it's not even the worse of this season. The only thing that gets it into the conversation for a bad move is that they did the trade with no protection of anything past this season, which was dumb as hell. He hasn't made the Mavs worse, he just hasn't made them appreciably better and in doing the trade, the Mavs lost one of their main defensive weapons, but that's a relative loss, the Mavs were never a good defensive team. And more to the point, the Mavs changed their expectations when they got him thinking they were going to suddenly become one of the elite teams in the West and that not coming to fruition has been something the team, especially Luka and Cuban, are struggling to deal with.

There is no, see how that went with Kyrie in that location like it was all bad. He was excellent with the Nets. He just wasn't available for them, and that was the main issue. While a ton of it is blamed on the vaccine, it's also that he stays injured. He's like Anthony Davis but with a different narrative around him. The only reason, or the three reasons, that the Bucks won the year that they did was because Giannis injured Kyrie, Harden was injured, and KD's shoe isn't a half inch smaller. Any one of those three things changes the trajectory of that Nets and that Bucks team. Acting like none of that happened is seriously disingenuous. The Bucks weren't getting past the Nets. Full Stop. It's like the Celtics being super proud of their Conference title like 5 or 6 years ago as if they weren't about to get bounced in embarrassing fashion by the Chicago Bulls in the first round if the injury to Rajon Rondo didn't occur. It's all revisionist history. And the Nets were in route to strong Playoffs run this season when KD and Kyrie were playing well, so again, you can't act like the only person he can play with is LeBron. That just had the best ending.

by JazzNU

by ponchi101 I just read an article that the Mavs are thinking of shutting down Kyrie and Luka for the last few games.
Whatever that was: it was a very bad deal. Let's see how they prepare for next season (they would be conceding that they will not make the playoffs).

by New England Nitemare
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:33 pm I just read an article that the Mavs are thinking of shutting down Kyrie and Luka for the last few games.
Whatever that was: it was a very bad deal. Let's see how they prepare for next season (they would be conceding that they will not make the playoffs).
That seems crazy to me, since Dallas is only 1 game out of the 10th spot. I would think you would shut them down only if they were mathematically eliminated from the playoff race.

by JazzNU If they did it, it would be about draft pick placement, whether that is to make pick or have a valuable trade asset. But they don't have any rights to Kyrie pass this season, so it'd be a strange move.

Dallas is just flailing it seems, the numbers say that Kyrie brought what he was expected to bring, so it seems like this is mostly about expectations. People are finally starting to question Mark Cuban and Luka, both of which are long overdue.

by Suliso I don't see how this is possibly true. Before the trade Dallas was safely within a play off zone, just a game or two behind #3, and Luka was a serious MVP contender. After the trade it all unraveled... Kyrie has made this team worse. How and why I can't judge, but results are results.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:27 pm I don't see how this is possibly true. Before the trade Dallas was safely within a play off zone, just a game or two behind #3, and Luka was a serious MVP contender. After the trade it all unraveled... Kyrie has made this team worse. How and why I can't judge, but results are results.
You're a Luka fan, so I'm not sure you're objective here. I have no rooting interest in the Mavs of any kind, so I just listen and read as a general NBA fan when Mavs stuff comes up. This is not hard information to know or find, it's been discussed a good deal in recent weeks. Kyrie isn't just not the problem, the team has a better net rating when he's on the floor than when he's not. And they have a significantly better net rating when's it's Kyrie with the rest of the team without Luka. Luka is that level of a ball hog and that bad of a defender. Also, you can't look at the Mavs' standing in a vacuum.

by ponchi101 The other explanation is that the guys they let go for Kyrie were actually doing a lot more than was recognized.
But, regardless of how well Kyrie the individual is playing, since his arrival, the team has done worse. So he has to be part of the equation to describe this "new" team.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:24 pm The other explanation is that the guys they let go for Kyrie were actually doing a lot more than was recognized.
But, regardless of how well Kyrie the individual is playing, since his arrival, the team has done worse. So he has to be part of the equation to describe this "new" team.
That's captured in the conversations as well. I already mentioned this. The players traded, especially one, was a key defensive player. BUT, you shouldn't mistake that as Mavs were a good defensive team pre-trade and now they are a bad defensive team. They've always been on the bottom half of defense, it's just worst now with the loss of that player.

Kyrie is part of the new team of course. But is he the reason that the team isn't winning right now? No. Find me the reputable people that talk the X's and O's of the games that is saying that. People who have been highly critical of Kyrie aren't willing to put the blame on him on this Mavs team, because there's just not much to support that claim.

Kyrie is an easy target, and that's largely on him. But he can't be the scapegoat every time just because people don't like him.

by JazzNU Keep focusing on Kyrie though.

by ponchi101 With playoffs about to start:
The only way I can see for Boston NOT to make the final is if they go to a super tough 7 games series with the Sixers, and then have to face the Bucks at home.
And Phoenix is looking too tough in the west.
Of course, hope to be 100% wrong on both accounts.

by ponchi101 First series to be "decided": Clippers without Paul George for the entire series with the Suns.
That is too much of a loss, against a team that is looking very much like the favorite in the West.
And the Bucks just lost Giannis to a back injury. And back injuries don't heal quickly.

by JazzNU

by JazzNU

by ponchi101 Sunday, bony Sunday. Way too many injuries. :thumbsdown:

by JazzNU Good first playoff games across the board, only two were truly out of reach. Not sure any of the injuries are truly impactful outside of Tyler Herro's and the existing injury to Paul George, though they won without him tonight. With initial x-rays being negative, seems like Giannis and Ja might be back fairly soon. There's no self awareness in the quote from Ja at all.

by JazzNU And I forgot to say it before, but the play-in games were fantastic. Had a March Madness feel to them with the stakes being so high and being almost a one and done scenario, definitely added so much needed energy to the kickoff to the playoffs. Not the best basketball you've ever seen in many cases, but except that final game, every single one was exciting. Those who have complained about this new element to making the playoffs can go cry into the void, this is here to stay for sure.

by JazzNU By the way, the MVP votes in this thread are hilarious.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:27 am By the way, the MVP votes in this thread are hilarious.
Remember I posted them when there were still some open debate about them ;) . By now, I gather it is clear that only Embid and Jokic are really in the run.
The games have been quality games. I am so glad that, at least for yesterday, the Clippers made me eat my words. Westbrook simply hustled that game away with the final rebounds.
Very surprised that the Nuggets won that easily, on a relatively off night for Jokic.
And, if Morant and Giannis are out for game 2, those series can be flipped. Especially the Lakers. AD and Lebron with a two game lead... that will be tough to beat. And D. Russell is playing quality ball, too.

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:10 am Good first playoff games across the board, only two were truly out of reach. Not sure any of the injuries are truly impactful outside of Tyler Herro's and the existing injury to Paul George, though they won without him tonight. With initial x-rays being negative, seems like Giannis and Ja might be back fairly soon. There's no self awareness in the quote from Ja at all.
Nope, but he doesn't seem to be the type to have much of that to begin with. Maybe it's time for him to get an agent/PR person to hide behind.

by JazzNU The Grizzlies winning this series is, was, and has always been in doubt whether Ja is playing or not. There's a reason a noticeable amount of analysts have projected the Lakers to reach the conference final once seeding was finalized and the Grizzlies' betting odds were just a touch better than the Lakers' were.

by ponchi101 Mike Brown wins COTY award, the first ever to do so unanimously.
Well deserved :clap: :clap: :clap:

by JazzNU

by JazzNU Second time winning the award, last time was with the Cavs.

by New England Nitemare
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:33 pm Mike Brown wins COTY award, the first ever to do so unanimously.
Well deserved :clap: :clap: :clap:
I totally agree with you ponchi. Sacramento had an amazing season, I don't think anyone would have predicted the Kings getting the #3 seed in the West.

by ponchi101 Plus, this makes them a "desirable" destination. Maybe some better players can now say that playing there can lead to some good achievements.
They are only one good player way from being a very, very good team. Perhaps even contend for the championship.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:06 pm Plus, this makes them a "desirable" destination.
Makes them a desirable team maybe, not much of a desirable destination for many players. Sacramento is still Sacramento.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:44 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:06 pm Plus, this makes them a "desirable" destination.
Makes them a desirable team maybe, not much of a desirable destination for many players. Sacramento is still Sacramento.
Never been there, so I can't judge it. But it sure can beat SLC. I guess ;)

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:39 pm
JazzNU wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:44 pm
Never been there, so I can't judge it. But it sure can beat SLC. I guess ;)
That's a low bar. But yes, it beats SLC and also OKC as a destination.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Hawks’ Dejounte Murray Suspended For Game 5 On Tuesday
April 24th 2023 at 4:29pm CST by Dana Gauruder
The league has suspended Hawks guard Dejounte Murray one game without pay for making inappropriate contact with a game official, the league’s communications department tweets. He will serve his suspension in Game 5 on Tuesday

Murray also verbally abused the official at the conclusion of the Hawks’ 129-121 loss to the Celtics in Game 4 of their first-round playoff series on Sunday. He will serve his suspension during Game 5 on Tuesday with the Hawks trailing 3-1 in the series and facing elimination.

More to come..

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/04/haw ... esday.html

by ponchi101 About Udoka. Good for him, and for Houston. The most ridiculous firing in a long time (from the Celtics, I mean).

by ponchi101 I am not saying that I am surprised that the Knicks won; it was a 4-5 matchup.
But 4-1? With no home advantage? That surprises me.
I also read: Dallas let Brunson go. How about that, management?

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:40 am.
I also read: Dallas let Brunson go. How about that, management?
Can't lowball great players and expect them to just stay. Idiotic and cheap decision-making from the Mavs.

by JazzNU

by JazzNU

by JazzNU

by ti-amie I'm really happy for Butler. He's worked hard for this chance.

As for the Knicks...

by ponchi101 I was talking about Butler with a friend and I mentioned that it was very unlikely that he could keep up that level. Wrong, once again.
But I have to like the Knicks chances. They inherit home court and they dealt with CLE easily. Of course, MIA dealt with MWK, so this might be a really good series.

by ti-amie Shams Charania 🤖
@ShamsCharania@sportsbots.xyz
Sources: The knee injury 76ers star Joel Embiid suffered April 20 is considered to be more serious than a Grade 1 LCL sprain. He is currently doubtful for Game 1 vs. Boston.

As Embiid’s history of playing through injuries and pain shows, it can be fluid depending on his progress. He has been able to do some individual spot-up shooting the past several days and will be evaluated daily.

by ponchi101 Still, they are going against the Celtics. They need him, and at 100%.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 I was rooting for the Kings but when that man is on, the other team's fate is sealed.
I will be satisfied now if the Nuggets survive to the conference finals, but I truly don't believe they will (Suns in 6) and then I still say the Celtics will take the championship.

by patrick NBA is smiling big time,

Old time rivals in the East for both series. In the West, Jokic vs Durant and Curry vs James

by JazzNU
patrick wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:52 am NBA is smiling big time,

Old time rivals in the East for both series. In the West, Jokic vs Durant and Curry vs James
Neither Denver nor Jokic is some ratings bonanza. They're gonna be much more happy about the Warriors vs. Lakers and the East series.

Also, they would've happily taken the Kings over the Warriors. There have been plenty of signs that they are looking to launch the Kings into stardom and get them as much exposure as they can, betting on the young guys that can help carry them into the future even if there's a short term loss and not the old heads.

by ponchi101 Denver has become the San Antonio of this era. Fine team, with nobody to cheer them outside of Denver. The NBA must be rooting mightily against them, to get a CP3/KD vs LAL/GSW winner conference final.
Ratings should be fine in the east. Those four teams have fans. Miami may be the ficklest ones.

by Suliso I was rooting for Duncan and San Antonio during their prime time. Ambivalent about Denver so far.

by ponchi101 So it was the people of San Antonio, you me and Argentina (because of Manu). But David Stern really did not like them.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:01 pm So it was the people of San Antonio, you me and Argentina (because of Manu). But David Stern really did not like them.
I'm sure he liked them fine, just didn't want to center the league around them because they couldn't drum up interest despite their success. Had David Stern rode the Spurs, he would've ridden the league into obscurity. Back to back to back eras of David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and Kawhi Leonard. Amazing players, HOFers for sure. But some of the most boring "superstars" you'll ever find in the game. You could list the Top 5 most boring All-Stars of all time, and all 3 could legitimately be on that list, which is just an amazing thing to consider. Kawhi is the only one who you could say, isn't necessarily boring, just silent, and that gives the appearance of being boring.

And to say San Antonio doesn't rate on a national scale is just a massive understatement.

by JazzNU

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:21 am ...

I'm sure he liked them fine, just didn't want to center the league around them because they couldn't drum up interest despite their success. Had David Stern rode the Spurs, he would've ridden the league into obscurity. Back to back to back eras of David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and Kawhi Leonard. Amazing players, HOFers for sure. But some of the most boring "superstars" you'll ever find in the game. You could list the Top 5 most boring All-Stars of all time, and all 3 could legitimately be on that list, which is just an amazing thing to consider. Kawhi is the only one who you could say, isn't necessarily boring, just silent, and that gives the appearance of being boring.

And to say San Antonio doesn't rate on a national scale is just a massive understatement.
You think so? I remember reading several times how some of their finals were the lowest watched finals ever.
They must have shown at most two Spurs' games down here this year.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:41 am
JazzNU wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:21 am
You think so? I remember reading several times how some of their finals were the lowest watched finals ever.
They must have shown at most two Spurs' games down here this year.
For sure, and yes, some of the lowest watched Finals ever. The team doesn't get ratings and the city is similarly lost in the national conversation. It's like the 8th most populous city, 2nd most populous in Texas, but you wouldn't know it. It just doesn't have a lot going on that grabs national headlines and attracts outsiders like that. Dallas, Houston and Austin are talked about so, so much more often and Austin, which is less populous, gets so much attention and San Antonio gets very little. The thinking by some is that if you put the Spurs in Austin and they'd be appreciably more popular than they are right now, and some have pushed for it to happen. I believe the last attempt at this was thwarted, haven't heard much about it recently at least.

by JazzNU "Under any circumstances"

by JazzNU

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:38 am "Under any circumstances"

Serious here. Why go the extreme of such forceful language? It is not as if Dillon has committed crimes outside the court. I know he led the league in technicals, but "under no circumstances"...
Could have let it out and it would have still been an equally forceful statement.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:39 am
Five years in a row now of foreign MVP's. Obviously the longest stretch in the league's history.
Good for Joel.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:37 pm
Five years in a row now of foreign MVP's. Obviously the longest stretch in the league's history.
Good for Joel.
Joel is foreign born, but not remotely a foreign product, so a bit different.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:36 pm
JazzNU wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:38 am "Under any circumstances"

Serious here. Why go the extreme of such forceful language? It is not as if Dillon has committed crimes outside the court. I know he led the league in technicals, but "under no circumstances"...
Could have let it out and it would have still been an equally forceful statement.

It's the best marketing move the Grizzlies could've made. The announcement and the wording are some of the most liked Tweets I've ever seen from these accounts, and that is really saying something. The Grizzlies went from one of the teams people were most excited about to one of the teams people were happy to see lose, you'd think because of all of Ja's problems it would be him that was the true source of that downfall, but it truly isn't, people were raving about him just last week, his game is such that he can make people forget the rest while watching him and he still comes across as a fun loving guy.

Dillon, on the other hand, is that version of hated, has made people lose interest in the team quickly, and he definitely helped bring about the end of their season. Would the Lakers have won anyway? Probably, but he guaranteed it when he ran his mouth in such epic fashion. That has quite literally, never worked out for anyone trying to clown LeBron. All it does it make him more dialed in. He didn't say a damn thing in response to that nonsense, just got more locked in, went at him one on one and showed him up, beat his team, and then publicly told his ass off. If this was the only thing he had done or the techs were the only thing he had done, it would be one thing, but these are just the some of the more recent in a long, long, long list of ish he has started. I saw someone say they could see him landing with the Cavs and someone replied, you must have lost your damned mind or you've forgotten about the ish he started with Donovan Mitchell and the person replied, I did forget about that beef because honestly, he has so many. There's a reason there are neverending playing in China jokes about him right now. He's burned so, so many bridges, but in his case, they are more torched than burned.

by ti-amie Adrian Wojnarowski 🤖
@wojespn@sportsbots.xyz
After the mass school shooting that included the murder of eight children and a security guard at a Belgrade school, Dallas star Luka Doncic has committed to pay for those funeral services and grief counseling for classmates and staff: https://es.pn/42s0zGm

Doncic has deep family ties to the Belgrade, Serbia region and a spokesperson for the Luka Doncic Foundation tells ESPN of his immediate plans to take care of the funerals and counseling -- and a long-term commitment to provide whatever other assistance is needed.

by ponchi101 Devin Booker goes for 47 in a game 3 of the playoffs. But that is not it. He went 20 of 25 from the field.
Has anybody ever shot 80% from the field in ANY game, with a large number of shots?
I know that Curry's 50 on Sunday was impressive. I think this is even more so.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:09 pm Devin Booker goes for 47 in a game 3 of the playoffs. But that is not it. He went 20 of 25 from the field.
Has anybody ever shot 80% from the field in ANY game, with a large number of shots?
I know that Curry's 50 on Sunday was impressive. I think this is even more so.
Not more impressive than Curry, but impressive on it's own for sure. If Devin Booker does that in a Game 7, let alone a Game 7 on the road, it'll be more impressive. But Game 3 is Game3, no matter how necessary this win was to stay in the series. It's not a true win or go home scenario.

Yes, it's been done before, but it's a short list in the playoffs. One of the most notable things about Book's performance was that he didn't get a single free throw shot until the very end of the game. That's an even shorter list that he joined. So all very impressive. Book's having an incredible playoffs, the question is will he make it count.

But Curry's not joining the list, he bested the list of Game 7 performances so more impressive, but even more so for doing it on the road.

by ponchi101 We'll disagree ;) I just don't know how somebody can shoot 80%. Sure, Steph shot 71% and it was a game 7, so if you limit it to GAME 7 performances, Steph is by his own.
But this was almost an elimination game for the Suns. Had they lost, you know about the famous 0-3 hole.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:03 pm We'll disagree ;) I just don't know how somebody can shoot 80%. Sure, Steph shot 71% and it was a game 7, so if you limit it to GAME 7 performances, Steph is by his own.
But this was almost an elimination game for the Suns. Had they lost, you know about the famous 0-3 hole.
You've most likely watched the other 80% performances and you don't remember them. This will be another forgotten performance. Game 3 is Game 3 and Game 7 are the two greatest words. "Almost an elimination game?" As the saying goes, almost doesn't count.

by ti-amie

And yeah if that had been Draymond...

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:17 pm
And yeah if that had been Draymond...
My main issue. Also would've been ejected from the game on the spot because that's what the rule is. And that would've happened with a host of other players as well not just Draymond and has very clearly been enforced with an ejection and suspension in the past. I hope the double standard doesn't go unnoticed. It's obvious and getting annoying.

by ti-amie Lakers fans have "No AD" trending at the moment.

by ponchi101 Was he eligible? He missed so many games.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:54 pm Was he eligible? He missed so many games.
That was my first thought but I don't really pay attention to the Lakers.

by ti-amie This is...something
NBACentral
@TheNBACentral
Featured on
@ESPN
@FOXSports
@SINow
@YahooSports
, + others | Not affiliated with the National Basketball Association| ✉️ info@theballcentral.com

He's free to vote for whoever he wants isn't he? How did this even become public?

by ti-amie So a fan account got the pile-on started. Insanity.

by JazzNU Yes, AD was eligible, the limitations on that don't kick in until next season.

The Nikola Jokic hype machine on Twitter is as obvious as it is exhausting and nothing about their zeal will make him an actually popular player.

by Suliso Can he become a popular player outside Denver if he himself works on it I wonder. Likely doesn't have the right personality...

by ponchi101 Because I was in Colorado, I was able to see some commercials featuring him. He comes across as easy going. He makes some local adds for ALTITUDE sports, the local Denver sports station, and he does not mind playing goofy. They make a lot of jokes about how big he is. I remember one in which he slumps on the sofa of a news anchor and then he can't get up because he is so big he gets stuck there.
I am not sure if he cannot become, at least, a good spokesperson for some regional company.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:25 pm Because I was in Colorado, I was able to see some commercials featuring him. He comes across as easy going. He makes some local adds for ALTITUDE sports, the local Denver sports station, and he does not mind playing goofy. They make a lot of jokes about how big he is. I remember one in which he slumps on the sofa of a news anchor and then he can't get up because he is so big he gets stuck there.
I am not sure if he cannot become, at least, a good spokesperson for some regional company.
That kind of thing typically plays well. But he'd definitely need someone willing to do a national campaign to make a dent. Regional when it comes to Colorado is a joke, it truly means nothing for national attention.

by ti-amie Laimis
@laimis@mstdn.social
@emarktaylor @sixers LOL deadly. Oh Harden. Here is a thing, and I somewhat admire this with him: he does not give a f*$k, takes his paycheck and shows up the next season and just keeps on playing. Hey, if a GM wants to pay him large and keep on counting on him to win in the playoffs, it's on the GM now.

Bleacher Report :verified_business: 🤖
@BleacherReport@sportsbots.xyz
Where will James Harden play next season? 👀

by ti-amie

Chunkin' Deuces✌️
@ThiccceyWicket
Ben Simmons posting from the hotel lobby he lives in

by ti-amie

by ti-amie I really wanted Philly to win because I needed a team to root for. I never root for Boston. I never root for LA. I don't know enough about the Nuggets to have an opinion. Sigh

by ti-amie

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:25 pm
Uhm, Dallas?
(I really don't know)

by JazzNU
Chunkin' Deuces✌️
@ThiccceyWicket
Ben Simmons posting from the hotel lobby he lives in
Amnesia is apparently among his many problems. Getting clowned for this more than anything else because he is someone who is not in a position to laugh at anyone.

by JazzNU

Revisionist history and running way too much with this quote that wasn't even the real reason he wasn't kept. Ben Simmons was the real player who was chosen over him, not Tobias Harris.

Also, hilarious Tweet out of a Celtics fan of all people. Calling Doc a historic choker while he's the only one who brought you a championship in the last 30 years is rich.

by ponchi101 Keeping the distances, Jimmy Butler is becoming very much like Robert Horry.
(And the distance is between Horry and Butler; Horry was never this good but was a very clutch player).

by Suliso Denver in a good spot now to reach their first ever NBA finals.

by ponchi101 Teams that have gone up 2-0 in conference finals have a 56-6 record.
They are indeed in the driver's seat. Very good, especially in view that yesterday was a bit of a sloppy game. The Lakers were just sloppier.

by patrick Denver had 2 monster performances to get that lead

Game 1 : Jokic 34 pts 21 rebs 14 assts
Game 2 : Murray 23 point 4th quarter

by ponchi101 Murray was the difference, sure, but AD and Lebron also had sub-par games.
Hashimura and Reaves are looking at very good paydays after this season is over. They are delivering.

by patrick
ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:01 pm Murray was the difference, sure, but AD and Lebron also had sub-par games.
Hashimura and Reaves are looking at very good paydays after this season is over. They are delivering.
Especially Reaves. Transition defense is hurting the Lakers in this series.

by ti-amie NBA fans were all over social media whining about flopping by players trying to get fouls called on whoever is defending them. I mean come on. Lebron and Harden are prime examples of this schtick and have been for years. Why is it an issue now?

Re Robert Horry: If I was in the playoffs I would want him on my team.

by ponchi101 I always liked Horry. He came up with some big shots on several occasions, and the nickname was fun, but he was a good BB player that was in a lot of right places at the right time.
He is the prime example that rings do not mean you are the greatest. He has more rings that MJ (and therefore all the ones below him) yet obviously is not as great.

by ti-amie

No jinx

by Suliso Surprisingly uncompetitive conference finals this year. Both could be sweeps...

by ponchi101 I am specially surprised about Boston. I thought they were the heavy favorites for the title (said so above) and they have been blown off by Miami. I don't know if they can salvage the 4th game, just for a little pride.
But Miami has been on fire. The Bucks firing of Budenholzer seems now even more rushed. Miami is obviously NOT your regular #8 seed. The team can play. And, given how they have handled the #1 and #2 seeds, I gather they can also beat the Nuggets.
ASSUMING the Nuggets and Miami win. I know no teams have ever come back from 0-3 holes, but by now I truly say I know nothing about basketball.

by ti-amie NBA-focused social media was on fire last night. The best analysis, as usual, came from the TNT lineup. I don't care how much Stephen A screams when you want good analysis it always comes from Shaq, Ernie, Kenny and Sir Charles.

Shaq vs Charles seems to have been the best action of the night. Even Ernie got in a good one.

by ponchi101 That must have been the strangest series in NBA history.
The home teams won only 2 games. Up 3-0, it reached 7.
I keep saying that the Bucks have to call Budenholzer and admit they rushed that decision. Miami took care of the 1, 2 and 5 seeds. It wasn't the coaching.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

From the article:
Considering the stark difference in popularity between ESPN and TNT’s NBA coverage, any semblance of Barkley, O’Neal and Smith during the Finals is a big deal. ESPN will boast Mike Greenberg as its studio host during the NBA Finals, alongside analysts Stephen A. Smith, Jalen Rose, Michael Wilbon and insider Adrian Wojnarowski.

ESPN’s offering might provide adequate basketball analysis, but they lack the entertainment value brought by Barkley, O’Neal and Smith. And considering the rate of which Barkley and O’Neal go viral for their hijinks, casual sports fans seem to prioritize entertainment value over analysis.

by ti-amie Exhibit A as to why NBA cognoscenti prefer TNT analysts:

Gian
@HiiiGian
At this point what does being the “better” team or “superior” team even mean?

It used to mean the team that wins, or the team that beats you.

I understand the blind loyalty from fans. But a lot of “media” and “experts” sure are losing credibility.

Very evident Miami is the best team in the Eastern Conference.

by ti-amie

I think Silver just threw Stephen A et al under the proverbial bus...

by ponchi101 Just telling the truth. The EPSN show is also good, but the TNT crew has a chemistry that is hard to replicate.

by Suliso Kind of nice that Denver won this time. Could the be next San Antonia winning 2-3 more titles during the next five years? NBA leadership better find a way to promote them properly.

by ponchi101 It was "bad" for the NBA because they pretty much swept through their series. This one seemed to be a good one after Miami won game two, but then we saw what happened.
Denver could be marketed better than the Spurs, because the Spurs had competition in Houston and Dallas. Denver has no other team close by that could challenge a promotional campaign in, let's say, the states north of them. The sole other team close by is the Jazz, and they are in re-build mode.
And if the Nuggets can keep the core, they will be competing for championships for the next 5 years at least. Jokic, Murray, Porter and C. Craun could be a nice ensemble to have for that span.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 And. DeAndre Jordan gets a ring, Reggie Jackson gets a ring. Two veterans that can now claim to be champions (I always felt that Jackson is a heck of a player)

by ti-amie I wanted this so badly for Butler but it was clear after Game 1 it wasn't to be.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 You see? This guy is marketable; he does not take himself seriously. :thumbsup:

IMG_20230613_124907.jpg
-->
by Fastbackss
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:29 pm You see? This guy is marketable; he does not take himself seriously. :thumbsup:
Deleted, however it was funny
IMG_20230613_124907.jpg