Tennis on TV - 2023

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: Tennis on TV - 2023

Post by Deuce »

^ Here in Canada, we have TSN - which is owned by ESPN, and is basically a knock-off of it (even the lettering of 'TSN' is of the same font and colour as the lettering of 'ESPN'). The programming of TSN and ESPN is completely different, though.
We have 5 TSN channels. These are all cable TV channels - not streaming - and available to anyone with cable TV. Sometimes the channels operate in unison, with the same programming on all of them (except TSN 2), but fairly often, they show different programming at the same time. During tennis Majors, there are often 3 or 4 of the TSN channels showing a different match each. Anytime a Canadian player plays in a main draw at a Major, TSN will cover it - sometimes using the generic video feed and having one of their TSN employees provide commentary from Canada.
TSN also has a streaming service.

Tonight, for example, they are showing the Aussie Open on 2 channels, and NFL football on the other 2. And the tennis began on time, at 7pm eastern.

That sounds better than what you guys down south get with ESPN.

We also have another sports-only channel called Sportsnet, which has 6 or 7 channels, although 4 of them almost always air the same programming.
And we have two sports-only channels in French, as well - RDS (owned by ESPN, and operated as a French TSN, but with different programming), and TVA Sports. Each of those operate 2 channels.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I should have come to this thread earlier because I had searched and searched on the internet to find out why DirecTV was not having extra-court coverage, and the answer was here.

I am not an ESPN basher--I actually really like most of their announcers and their slam coverage is 1,000 times better than it was in the 1990s, when they once refused to air the live Coria-Moya French Open match that was likely going to decide the tournament so they could air a replay of a Venus-Kirilenko match they already had shown live earlier in the morning--but this truly stinks. The complete disregard for the viewing public to ban the extra-court coverage and then not show tennis at all except for small windows, shunting most of the coverage to ESPN Plus, is pathetic.

I have gotten to the point where in the first week of slams I almost exclusively watch the DirecTV channels so I get uninterrupted match coverage. I have felt lost this week without it, although last year there were only three channels instead of the normal five on DirecTV for the Aussie Open. I am glad this does not apply to the next three slams.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Just a FYI for anyone that finds it more difficult to watch thru other means.

I use a Roku player for the most part when I'm streaming something like Hulu or HBO Max. But a year ago I also got a Google Chromecast (the one with Google TV). It costs anywhere from $30-50. I got it to stream tennis (and other sports when necessary) when it's not thru traditional means. And that's because it is INCREDIBLY easy to cast from a Google Chrome browser to the Chromecast. Like stupidly easy. There has to be a block on the service that prevents it from casting to not make it so for the most part. So, instead of having to go thru my laptop controls to cast to the TV, there's usually just an option when I click to cast to the Chromecast and it's done. Now, for Youtube streams, casting to a Roku is no big deal. But for just about anything else, it's more involved. Even for YT, it's smoother using Chromecast.

So, just an FYI for anyone who isn't signing up for ESPN+ and TC Plus and is watching thru other means, but is like me and prefers it to be on the TV and not on your laptop, tablet, or phone, especially if it's during the day while you're working and need it separate, consider the relatively inexpensive Chromecast as an option to aid your viewing.

I remain steadfast in my refusal to sign up for TC Plus since they won't offer a monthly plan like every other streaming service. Chromecast at $30 and not paying a year of TC Plus at $110 or even a few months of it if they weren't idiots and offered that, means it is already a worthwhile purchase.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 5
Back out from down under
Tennis Watchers

After a lot (and we mean A LOT) of late night and early mornings in Australia, two singles slam champs have been crowned to kick off the year. The tour hits the road once again this week with the WTA in Hua Hin and Lyon. Davis Cup qualifying will also be this week.

Coverage returns to Tennis Channel this week with both WTA events airing on Tennis Channel and TC Plus. Davis Cup will air on TC Plus starting 2/2. Coverage will start early morning matches in Hua Hin, and then Lyon matches will kick off around 6:00am.

Check our the full guide below and enjoy the tennis!

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 6
Clay enters the chat

Tennis Watchers

It is a busy week on tour with five events taking place in multiple time zones. The ATP has three events on tap in Dallas, Montpellier, and kicking off the golden swing in Cordoba. The WTA will be in Abu Dhabi and Linz this week.

Coverage will be on Tennis Channel with TC Plus and Tennis TV (ATP) streaming. Keep in mind, Dallas and Cordoba matches will begin late morning eastern time despite that 6:00am coverage block on Tennis Channel. Live tennis will likely be on when you wake up and when you go to bed this week so plenty to enjoy!

You can check out the full guides below, enjoy the week!

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 9
You want more?..Tennis will give you more

Tennis Watchers

From one jam packed week of tennis to the next! This week is another full docket with five tournaments on tap with the ATP in Dubai, Acapulco, and Santiago with the WTA in Monterrey and Austin. It will be another week of live tennis starting early in the morning and going well into the evening.

Coverage is again on Tennis Channel, TC Plus and Tennis Channel Plus. With live tennis in multiple time zones those coverage blocks will start early, but live matches for those afternoon tournaments won’t start until midday or afternoon.

As always enjoy the tennis this week!

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They will show Acapulco down here! :yahoo:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Ainsley United States of America

Post by Ainsley »

I am enjoying that there has been some evening matches to watch after school is out. Many of the matches seem to fall during when I am in school and I miss those, so catching some of the evening action is good.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Domestic Broadcast Schedule Released For 2023 BNP Paribas Open

BY BNP PARIBAS OPEN
03/01/2023
Tennis Channel to Provide Exclusive First-Ball to Last-Ball Coverage From Indian Wells;

Nearly 120 Hours of Live Coverage From All Matches In Tennis Paradise

The BNP Paribas Open, a combined ATP Masters 1000 and WTA 1000 event to be held March 6 – 19, 2023 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, will feature expansive domestic television coverage on Tennis Channel, with nearly 120 total hours of live action set to be broadcast to fans across the two-week tournament.

The BNP Paribas Open will once again be broadcast exclusively within the United States courtesy of Tennis Channel, with first ball to last ball coverage across Tennis Channel, Samsung TV Plus’ free T2 network and live and on-demand digital subscription service Tennis Channel Plus.

Live coverage of the BNP Paribas Open will commence on Wednesday, March 8 with a full day of coverage of the first round of the WTA and ATP Tour main draws. Coverage will continue through Sunday, March 19, culminating with the women’s singles final beginning at 1:00 p.m. local time (4:00 p.m. ET), followed by the men’s singles final.

In addition, the popular “Tennis Channel Live at the BNP Paribas Open” will be broadcast daily from a studio on-site at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, beginning Wednesday, March 8 and continuing through the last day of play, for a full 60 minutes of commentary and analysis prior to live tennis coverage.

Tennis Channel broadcast talent for the BNP Paribas Open will include Andy Roddick, Steve Weissman, Martina Navratilova, Jan-Michael Gambill, Brett Haber, Chanda Rubin, Tracy Austin, Pam Shriver, Paul Annacone, Jim Courier, Lindsay Davenport, Leif Shiras, Ari Wolfe, Jason Goodall and Geoff Chizever.

Additionally, live streaming of all main draw matches will be available via the Official 2023 BNP Paribas Open mobile app to fans on-site at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, as well as via the ATP Tour, WTA Tour, and Tennis Channel Plus.

The 2023 BNP Paribas Open will also be broadcast in more than 200 countries worldwide. International fans can click here for a full list of global broadcasters.

https://bnpparibasopen.com/tournament/watch/television/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 10-11
Duelling in the Desert

Tennis Watchers

Groundhog be damned, tennis is ready for spring and kicking off the sunshine double with the first of two back-to-back 1000 level events with Indian Wells this week. The yearly dip into the Californian Desert will start mid-week and last throughout the first half of March with coverage on Tennis Channel once again this year. You can check out full guide below!

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 12-13
Make it a Sunshine Double

Tennis Watchers

The second half of the sunshine double kicks off Tuesday in Miami. While the temps in the air may still be cool, the action on the courts is heating up with both the ATP and WTA’s return to the Hard Rock Stadium.

Coverage will continue on Tennis Channel, with streaming on Tennis Channel Plus and Tennis TV. You can check out the full guide below! Enjoy the tennis !

Post by JazzNU »

Miami Open used to be covered by ESPN. On the one hand, it's good to know where you're going to see tennis every week, but on the other hand, it would be nice for there to be more interest in tennis as an appealing property for other channels and streaming services. Especially since Sinclair is struggling mightily right now.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 14
Back to the Clay

Tennis Watchers

After a month in the sunshine, the tours hit the road once again and begin the transition to the clay season. This week the WTA will head to Charleston and Bogota, while the ATP will be in Houston, Marrakech, and Estoril.

Coverage will look similar with Tennis Channel/Tennis Channel Plus and TennisTV doing the heavy lifting, but Houston will be available on ESPN Plus.

Tennis Watchers will be onsite in Charleston this week, so keep a look out for some photos from the grounds! Enjoy the tennis

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:53 pm
Houston will be available on ESPN Plus.
Surprising, but very nice.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 15
The Full Monte

Tennis Watchers

Welcome to Week 15, Tennis Watchers! We head over to Europe for the ATP 1000 level event in Monte Carlo. In addition, Billie Jean King Cup qualifiers will kick off next weekend. Coverage for this week continues to be on Tennis Channel and TC Plus/Tennis TV.

You can check out the full guide, with links below. Hope you enjoy the tennis this week!