Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Tennis on TV - 2023

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 1
Like we never left...tennis returns!

Tennis Watchers

Welcome back Tennis Watchers! While the calendar still says 2022, tennis is ringing in the new year on its 2023 season already starting tomorrow with the kick off of the United Cup. The event, which is brand new for 2023 will be a combined, team event featuring both WTA and ATP players. A few days later, a full slate of tournaments will begin with Adelaide (also a combined tournament), Auckland, and Pune.

Coverage will look similar to last year with Tennis Channel being the main hub of matches, with Tennis TV streaming the ATP matches.

If you haven’t yet, be sure to check out the 2023 Tennis Watchers Calendar store! You still have time to order your calendar, featuring tennis photos and a listing of each week's tournaments.

Check out the full guide with links below, and enjoy happy new year!

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis on TV - 2023

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 2
Heating Up Down Under

Tennis Watchers

Overview

The tennis has really kicked into high gear with three more tournaments plus Australian Open Qualifying this week. Yes....that’s right....we are already talking about the first slam of the year! In addition to qualifying, both the WTA and ATP will be in Adelaide again this week. The WTA returns to Hobart and the ATP picks up where the WTA left off in Auckland this week too!

Coverage

With qualifying kicking off Sunday, this is your reminder we will switch over to ESPN for slam coverage. ESPN Plus will be your home for all qualifying matches. Keep in mind the price jump from 7.99 to 9.99 per month.

The tour events (Adelaide, Auckland, and Hobart) will be on Tennis Channel (ATP streaming on Tennis TV) this week. Tennis Channel will also have a live kick off show the half hour prior to matches each day.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

FYI, ESPN signed a like a 10 year deal with the Australian Open last year and they are now the exclusive home of the AO, which is why there is no extra court coverage on DirecTV, they aren't allowing it.

Tennis Channel will still have replays, but that's it.

And ESPN 3 access, which typically allows you to watch a limited number of marquee matches thru your internet or cable provider, appears to be absent (it's possible ESPN torched that starting in 2023 - I haven't been in the app for anything but their main content since the US Open).

So if you want to watch different courts or really, anything ESPN doesn't have it on ESPN/ESPN2, you'll need to sign up for ESPN+ for the month ($10) most likely . Or watch by other means, never forget that is an option :).

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

And they don't label the courts which means that you have to keep searching until you find the court you want. For example I wanted to watch the end of the Eubanks/Kwon match last night. It was supposedly on Court 15. But if I clicked on what I thought should be Court 15, before or after Court 16 I found everything but that match. I could find the FAA/Pospisil match since it was on a named court so I watched that. Very frustrating.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

2023 Week 3-4
Ready?! (or not)....Play!

Tennis Watchers
Jan 15
Overview

The start to the 2023 season has been a fast one, but hopefully by now you are acclimated to the Australian time zone because things are about to shift up a gear. Sunday will be the start of the 2023 Australian Open here in the States. It seems hard to believe, but first slam of the year is officially on the clock.

Coverage

Coverage will shift over to ESPN networks, including ESPN + which will air every match first ball to last ball. Of note, ESPN + will be the home for those first matches of the day during the week as ESPN 2 will typically start coverage around 9:00pm EST. Tennis Channel will also air a daily preview show at 5:00pm EST. You can check out the full guide below and enjoy the first slam of the year!

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:40 pm And they don't label the courts which means that you have to keep searching until you find the court you want. For example I wanted to watch the end of the Eubanks/Kwon match last night. It was supposedly on Court 15. But if I clicked on what I thought should be Court 15, before or after Court 16 I found everything but that match. I could find the FAA/Pospisil match since it was on a named court so I watched that. Very frustrating.
I can understand that it's frustrating to not be able to watch the match you want to watch... but the Felix - Vasek match was quite entertaining - 2 friends, 2 Canadians, 2 tiebreaks, 4 hours...

Also... while I'm in the 'T.V.' section... I had read in a few places that ESPN had decided not to employ John McEnroe this year at the Aussie Open - he was to work only with Eurosport, and would do so from home in the U.S.
But there he was, commenting on the Nadal - Draper match with his brother on ESPN last night. I don't know if he was in Melbourne or in the U.S., though.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think I read that ESPN broadcasters were working out of Bristol, Connecticut

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:52 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:40 pm And they don't label the courts which means that you have to keep searching until you find the court you want. For example I wanted to watch the end of the Eubanks/Kwon match last night. It was supposedly on Court 15. But if I clicked on what I thought should be Court 15, before or after Court 16 I found everything but that match. I could find the FAA/Pospisil match since it was on a named court so I watched that. Very frustrating.
I can understand that it's frustrating to not be able to watch the match you want to watch... but the Felix - Vasek match was quite entertaining - 2 friends, 2 Canadians, 2 tiebreaks, 4 hours...

Also... while I'm in the 'T.V.' section... I had read in a few places that ESPN had decided not to employ John McEnroe this year at the Aussie Open - he was to work only with Eurosport, and would do so from home in the U.S.
But there he was, commenting on the Nadal - Draper match with his brother on ESPN last night. I don't know if he was in Melbourne or in the U.S., though.
I try to watch the "star" matches in the second week of a Slam. I like watching players who no one thinks have a chance and every now and then they make it into the second week.

Post by JazzNU »

The matches had the names listed below them for me, but not the court numbers. Not sure why there'd be any difference. Seems both should be listed without much trouble. Hopefully they'll get their act together.
shmrck14 United States of America

Post by shmrck14 »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:52 pm

ESPN started their coverage showing them in the studio and John McEnroe was sitting at the desk, there in Bristol. They have a very minimal prescence in Australia (saw Paw Shriver doing a post match interview). Maybe he'll be with Eurosport for week 2.....
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ESPN's AO coverage doesn't start until 11:30 p.m. tonight? Seriously?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm breaking my rule and watching Rublev vs Thiem on my tablet. I think the Tennis Watcher's post in the GS section said that coverage would be ESPN+ only for the first part of the day.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Sorry I should've posted the TV coverage info for the AusOpen here too.

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:25 am ESPN's AO coverage doesn't start until 11:30 p.m. tonight? Seriously?
Tomorrow's somewhat late start is more of a head scratcher, tonight is to be expected. There is never going to be a time during football season when ESPN has a game that they will cede one of their on-air channels to tennis if they have a simulcast as well. Manningcast, Spanish language broadcast, fans stream, coaches broadcast, whatever it is, will trump tennis. Also, trump most other sports. And during the playoffs? Not even a sliver of a chance.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »