by JazzNU Kicking off 2021's Contest. Might be harder than it was before (yes, apparently that was possible) because the main Twitter account that posted them hasn't posted anything in 2021. Hopefully that changes soon.

by JazzNU First up, perennial contest competitor Fabio Fognini

by JazzNU Not sure since I don't watch many of her matches, but I think this is a rare entry from Irina-Camelia Begu. Less a good entry and more, whew, you almost had a situation on your hands Irina.

by ponchi101 A solid, classic entry from Fabio. We have seen him do this one before, but it is always clean and properly executed.
I saw it live, the sound of the cracking frame was very satisfying.
Irina: she should have at least received a warning. She was lucky the ballkid was alert and got out of the way.
I like that she back-handed it.

by ti-amie I like everything about Begu's except for her no look back hand toss with a ball kid standing there. I guess she forgot about that DQ last year or doesn't know since it happened to an ATP player (I'm sure she knows it happened). She should've been given a warning.

As for Fabio what can I say? Well done as usual.

by ponchi101 I don't know what needs to happen for the ITF/WTA/ATP to issue a statement along the lines of:
"If, in between points, ANYTHING YOU HAVE HIT, THROWN, TOSSED or DROPPED as much as glances a linesperson, ball-kid, umpire, media person or spectator, you will be DQ in the spot. And fined accordingly".

Like, section 1, paragraph 1, item 1.

(Because we know that some people have been hit by an errant passing shot or (expletive). Anything else, pack that bag, Jack).

by JazzNU An upset that I might be able to find smashes by WTA players easier than ATP ones this season. We'll see if that changes soon, the other account still hasn't posted, but they did reply to someone asking if they'd be posting again soon, but he was part of that nonsense when they froze or suspended accounts with tennis gifs and appears to be taking some stand against that treatment.

Putintseva with an unsurprising entry. Actually a double entry, the first is a failed bounce essentially, the second got the crack.

by ponchi101 Interesting that she spins the racquet after the first smash so the second crack will be on the other side.
Sort of like "How to turn your Babolat into a Yonex". I will give her points for that.

by JazzNU An entry from Novak. Glad nothing popped off and ricocheted. Lessons learned from 2020? Not seeming like many thus far.

by ponchi101 And he is not a dumb guy. What part of "remember September?" doesn't he get?

by JazzNU I want to point out, not for this contest, but in general, had I not gotten an alert from ESPN about this, I wouldn't have known anything had happened late last night. Searching Kyrgios on Twitter should bring any of this up, but no, it's like they were trying to hide that it happened. It's catching on now I think, but people were watching and posting about that match, and noted Coric's win, without mentioning much else.

So, look at this tweet to see the part that involves the stands, which isn't captured in the video I think, because yes, he did throw his racquet angrily into the stands after smashing it. Thank goodness it was mostly empty. But also, follow the link below the tweet for the complete story, it includes photos, including the damage to the racquet, and video of it happened. Photos at the top, video a bit below that.

For video and photos of the smash:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/australian- ... 08574.html

by JazzNU
JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:19 pm For video and photos of the smash:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/australian- ... 08574.html

Photo from this story

by ponchi101 Is there any info on how he got this injury? He has been off court for a year, basically.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:25 pm Is there any info on how he got this injury? He has been off court for a year, basically.
Isn't that more of a compression legging than anything else? I see a lot of NBA players using them this year. I could be wrong though.

ETA: Reading is fundamental. I agree with ponchi.

by Deuce Players who 'don't care' don't smash their racquets.
;)

by ponchi101 Since I know you are joking:
Then Bjorn Borg never gave a (expletive) about the sport. And Fabio Fognini cares deeply about it ;)

by Deuce No - I never said - never even implied - that players who don't smash their racquets don't care.
I am saying, however, that players who do smash their racquets obviously care.
It's not a question of caring about the sport - that is not the subject here. The subject is Nick saying (repeatedly) that he 'doesn't care' on the court, and that that is why his performances are sometimes less than intense.
But if you smash a racquet, it's because you're frustrated that you didn't do better. And you obviously can't be frustrated with your performance unless you care.

Ergo, as I've said many times, despite his claims that he 'doesn't care', Nick's actions show that he does care.
His actions also show that he doesn't care at times, as well. That's what makes him an enigma.

By the way, Borg used to throw his racquet and have tantrums on the court when he was a teenager. Just like Federer.

by ponchi101 I really thought you were joking.

by Deuce What on Earth does smashing a racquet and/or yelling at oneself demonstrate if not frustration at one's level of performance?
And what does frustration indicate if not that one gives a damn?

If a player yells out in joy after hitting a great shot, would you question whether that person cares or not? Of course not - the exclamation of joy is a clear indication that the person is happy with their performance, and that they obviously care.
Smashing a racquet and/or yelling when one misses a shot is exactly the same principle - caring - being interested - elicits a response to performance - because one cares.

If you don't care about something (or someone), you're indifferent.
If you do care about something (or someone), then what happens with that something or someone matters to you. And when things don't go the way you want them to with things related to the activity or entity or person, etc. that you care about, you react.
If you don't care, you don't react. With some people, their reactions are more obvious, and with others, it's less so. But, yes, being frustrated with something means you care - 100% of the time.

Any emotional reaction - be it glee, frustration, joy, sadness, happiness, anger, etc. - is an indication that one cares.
To me, it's like 1+1=2.

by ponchi101 To the rest of us, when a 24 yo man states that he did no miss tennis during a full year of pandemic, when a man tanks games repeatedly, when he insults the sport and his opponents, when he says he does not love the sport, but a different one (basketball), I take him at his word.
You are going exactly where I said there was no need to go. 1,000 words of Freudian explanations when you simply have to listen to what the man said.
But you have made your mind up.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:39 am To the rest of us, when a 24 yo man states that he did no miss tennis during a full year of pandemic, when a man tanks games repeatedly, when he insults the sport and his opponents, when he says he does not love the sport, but a different one (basketball), I take him at his word.
You are going exactly where I said there was no need to go. 1,000 words of Freudian explanations when you simply have to listen to what the man said.
But you have made your mind up.
You're using a very simple approach to assess a very complex, multi-dimensional human being. That's like trying to fix a complex Formula 1 engine with a lone Phillips screwdriver instead of using the other tools in your toolbox, as well. Or like using a basic $1 calculator to solve a complicated scientific equation. For that, you need to use a scientific calculator.
True meaning is often not seen on the surface - one must dig deeper for it.
But if you (and others) choose to simply look only at the surface, that's your right. Just as it's my right to look deeper than the mere surface.

Of course I have made up my mind that Nick cares. Because it's well known that actions speak louder than mere words. And his actions say all kinds of different things - not only the things that he also speaks.

Anyone can say anything in order to create whatever illusion they want people to believe.
Whenever an individual's actions contradict his/her words - or vice-versa - I will always believe the actions above the words. Doing so has served me quite well in life.

by Deuce For anyone who wants to search for the video/GIF, there's a Zverev racquet smash from his 'ATP Cup' match vs. Medvedev.

by Drop-shot After seeing the entries:
Fabio, professor of racquet smashing 101. Covers the basics but nothing spectacular at this point.

Begu: too much risk for such little damage.

Novak: now this one I liked. Number 1 player, coming off a lonf off season, going at furniture in a glorified exo. He always excels in the pent-up anger category. Now, if he's like this in week 1, I can only imagine the rest of the year.

Kyrgios: I can't be objective with him. Why won't he just go away like that racquet?

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 The first sequence is embarrassing. The racquet is playing with him. Shameful.

by JazzNU Another entry from Nick

by ponchi101 Like so much of his game, effortless. Makes it seem natural, almost unavoidable. "I am an element of destruction".

by JazzNU Pliskova was in a mood today

by ponchi101 Terribly subdued. The same emotions of a person that drops an egg on a kitchen floor that is easily cleaned.
Missing too much. And the racquet was barely cracked. Not enough, sorry. Not enough.

by Omess
JazzNU wrote:Pliskova was in a mood today

Bonus, she got a point penalty for smashing her racquet in the corridor between set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by JazzNU Novak trying to walk away with the contest in February. Even better if you get to see it in the match, but glad I was able to find a video, not merely a slowed down gif. The anger he's showing isn't properly captured in a gif. It's the angriest I can recall him getting during a racquet smash.

by JazzNU Here is the gif of the smash, but take a look at the second one in particular, cause that's how bad/good that was. In real-time in HD, you could see the pieces flying.

by ponchi101 He really makes it worth watching. He has become reckless, and by now should have a 2 mts safety zone declared around him while he is on court.
The fury is excellent, the technique flawless. That chips flew off the racquet makes it more impressive.
In that aspect, he is truly a cut above Rafa and Roger. A cut the size of the Grand Canyon.

by ti-amie That was as perfect as we've seen in a long time.

smash.jpg
Look at the little itty pieces, like shrapnel coming of a grenade that exploded way too close.
-->
by ponchi101 And remember: this is AN INJURED MAN!!! Talk about commitment...
smash.jpg
Look at the little itty pieces, like shrapnel coming of a grenade that exploded way too close.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:25 pm That was as perfect as we've seen in a long time.
I know someone might still come in with a doozy, we've gotten some unexpected treats over the years from unexpected places, but I rewound it like 10 times this morning thinking "Wow, he won the contest in February." It's hard to imagine a smash more perfect than that. Watching it live, in particular, was just spectacular.

by meganfernandez Djokovic's entry is high on fury, efficiency, and surprise. And it also turned the match around - do we give credit for Effect on Match? On the down side, it's not innovative or gloriously unhinged. But it is very Djokovic. In that way, it's art. That's the racket-smash version of his game.

by Deuce The element which most made Novak's effort stand out above the rest is the dustpan sweep-up that was needed following.

by mmmm8 The repetition that poetically mirrors his ball bounces did it for me.

by skatingfan Medvedev's submission from today - not as much damage as Djokovic's from a few days ago, but pretty credible.

by ponchi101 No. Not for me. The smash is beautiful but then he recoils in fear of being hit by the racquet, which he let go.
No, no, no. You kill the beast, you do not jump scared from the corpse. So... un-heroic. :thumbsdown:

by ti-amie Ponchi I'd sttill give. him a 8.5 because of the motion, the fury/anger at everything and everybody, and the results.

by JazzNU This is a beauty if you see and hear it in real time (unfortunately only seeing a gif right now). Swift and angry with a great crushing sound where you know damage has been done. Well done Andy.

by ponchi101 As economical as his BH. Britishly understated. A Stiff Upper Lip smack.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:25 pm As economical as his BH. Britishly understated. A Stiff Upper Lip smack.
Good analysis. Definitely efficient. At his age, he doesn't have any time to waste.

by meganfernandez Medvedev in his Rotterdam opera. Gotta wait for it... and can't see the contact point. But a nice two-act smash, incredible force, and pretty unhinged. There's a better view in the bottom video, with court contact and the corpse, at the 2:13 mark. The blast range is pretty big at the end and the bounce is wild and free. Subtracting points for destructive results, though. The racket remained in one piece after two violent attempts.

by ponchi101 I like the full serve motion. Plus, it IS like a serve: missed the first one, went for the second serve.
Still short of the Djokovic beauty vs Zverev, but this is solid. He just has to show more frustration or other despicable emotions.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 pm I like the full serve motion. Plus, it IS like a serve: missed the first one, went for the second serve.
Still short of the Djokovic beauty vs Zverev, but this is solid. He just has to show more frustration or other despicable emotions.
The display of disgust and anger with everything and everybody was great but he needs to show a bit more of that so that they have to bring out a whisk broom and pick up the pieces.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 pm I like the full serve motion. Plus, it IS like a serve: missed the first one, went for the second serve.
Unless we get a I think his name was Martinez level of artistry out of someone unexpected, Paire puts on a show, or the epic meltdown of Grigor that one year, I'm not sure Novak is getting beat this year. As I said before, I watched that and felt certain I was witnessing the champion.

by ti-amie I think Fernando Gonzalez, the man the trophy is named after, would agree. Djokovic's entry is truly a thing of beauty.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:16 pm
The display of disgust and anger with everything and everybody was great but he needs to show a bit more of that so that they have to bring out a whisk broom and pick up the pieces.
Djokovic set a new and potential unreasonable standard when they brought out the whisk.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:22 pm ...

Unless we get a I think his name was Martinez level of artistry out of someone unexpected, Paire puts on a show, or the epic meltdown of Grigor that one year, I'm not sure Novak is getting beat this year. As I said before, I watched that and felt certain I was witnessing the champion.
Mario Vilella Martinez. And THAT ONE will never be surpassed. It can be found in YT but I will not link it, in honor of TAT1.0. I watched that one at least 5 times in a row the first time it was posted. Then several others.
That is frigging Mozart's Requiem.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 pm
JazzNU wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:22 pm ...

Mario Vilella Martinez. And THAT ONE will never be surpassed. It can be found in YT but I will not link it, in honor of TAT1.0. I watched that one at least 5 times in a row the first time it was posted. Then several others.
That is frigging Mozart's Requiem.
The one where he propelled himself forward in the clay, then flung the racket into the fence with a delightful PING? It's not for 2021, but it is forever.

Anyway, Medvedev - looks like he's the first player with two entries in 2021. Probably not his last.

by Deuce I believe that Marcos Baghdatis is worthy of at least serious consideration for the overall, all-time title... The length of time - and number of racquets - it took him to exorcise the demons and decompress will likely never be surpassed.
Just when you thought it had passed... it erupted once again. And just when you thought it was finished again - yet another eruption. And another...
It was the very definition of 'boiling over'.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:32 am I believe that Marcos Baghdatis is worthy of at least serious consideration for the overall, all-time title... The length of time - and number of racquets - it took him to exorcise the demons and decompress will likely never be surpassed.
Just when you thought it had passed... it erupted once again. And just when you thought it was finished again - yet another eruption. And another...
It was the very definition of 'boiling over'.
Marcos, poor guy. It seemed like tennis really stressed him out. I saw him practically hyperventilate on a practice court in Indy one time. I think it held him back from an even better career.

by ponchi101 Bagdhatis is indeed a HOF in this topic. His famous smashing of all his racquets AFTER the match was over was an ode to the craft, a statement of being committed full time to this sub-section of his tennis skills.
May all his racquets RIP.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:26 am ...

The one where he propelled himself forward in the clay, then flung the racket into the fence with a delightful PING? It's not for 2021, but it is forever.

Anyway, Medvedev - looks like he's the first player with two entries in 2021. Probably not his last.
Usain Bolt's 9.57
Chamberlain's 100 points game.
Havlicheck stealing the ball.
And Vilella Martinez PING against the fence.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 pm Bagdhatis is indeed a HOF in this topic. His famous smashing of all his racquets AFTER the match was over was an ode to the craft, a statement of being committed full time to this sub-section of his tennis skills.
May all his racquets RIP.
He actually broke those racquets while sitting on a changeover!
Kind of makes you think that he really did want the match to be over at that point (he was down 2 sets to love - to Wawrinka - when he destroyed the racquets, and then actually won the 3rd set after the massacre... but lost the match in the end).

The worst thing about that episode is that the frames he destroyed were Fischer Vac Pro 90s - one of the sweetest and most unique frames ever produced, with beautiful feel. That made his eruption a real tragedy.

by ti-amie

Not bad

by ponchi101 oooh, I like that. She went FH, 2 handed BH, FH. I like the body motion, although it is a bit stop & go. And the racquet is beautifully destroyed.
New Balance, indeed.

by Kellykelly Such a Great Smashing Racquet Contest. i am really excited for next contest.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:26 am oooh, I like that. She went FH, 2 handed BH, FH. I like the body motion, although it is a bit stop & go. And the racquet is beautifully destroyed.
New Balance, indeed.
New Balance! The change of grips is a cool touch.

by JazzNU Tiafoe with a very good entry. A lot of anger and the racquet is seriously toast. Not the best anger, but a video so you'll get to see it in real time. Keep watching to see the destruction.

by ponchi101 Well done. Disgusted with himself, obvious disgust with his performance, the intention to destroy the frame is unequivocal.
A solid entry, although not yet in the medal category...

by ti-amie If he'd gotten one more whack in there he'd be in the running. Very good for a maiden entry.

by Deuce I think it's significant that Tiafoe did this on the last point of the match. He therefore obviously wasn't seeking to motivate himself to improve his play. It was just purely a release of absolute frustration and anger.

With all that emotion, I was glad to see him give a nice, respectful hug to Musetti, who took about half an hour to get to him.
(Although, realistically, given the virus circumstance, I don't like the idea of hugs, or even handshakes... Does anyone know why some players just tap racquets at the end of a match, while others shake hands or hug? I doubt there are different rules for different tournaments...)

by meganfernandez First-ever post-victory racket smash?

by Drop-shot You know where the door is Mr Musetti. Stop wasting my time.

by ponchi101 No emotions. A quick flip and total disregard for the racquet. Might as well have spiked the bottle of Gatorade.
No, not worthy. I understand that it is different in that it was after a victory but it should be as when they rip off their shirt. Some level of destruction is expected.

by JazzNU Worthy entry from Dimitrov even though we know he's capable of more. A lot of anger, throws his body into it.

by ponchi101 I saw it live. That angle is not that good; it was super fast and super swift. Very compact, and the shot that led to this was totally pitiful, so the entire sequence was misery defined.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 pm I saw it live. That angle is not that good; it was super fast and super swift. Very compact, and the shot that led to this was totally pitiful, so the entire sequence was misery defined.
I like what I see. It's clean, classic, and fluid, kind of like Grigor. But it won't win. Commentator quipped, "That's the best connection he's had all day."

by meganfernandez Workmanlike, thorough, classic. Rather rhythmic. No originality, but all business.

by ponchi101 Yep. That was a Sampras' serve-and-volley point, a Nole "I will get to everything". As you say, very professional. We have seen it before, but that was good.

by Drop-shot I liked Grigor's, but just like his tennis, it's not going to win the big prize.

I came to submit something I have never seen in all my years as a judge and that's saying something.
The premeditation, the innovation and while it's a one movement attack, it's just so original that it has to earn SOMETHING!

I finally put my finger on it: it's the most cerebral and scientific racquet break I've seen. He was like "How can a make sure I break this MF.... Ahhhh yes, I will use physics!"

by ponchi101 Oh, that wasn't a smash! That was EXECUTION. Nothing short than guillotining that racquet. Primal, primitive instincts!
That was a cleaver to a chicken's neck. Me like that a lot!!!

by Deuce I can't help but wonder if any racquet companies have ever put a clause in their contracts with players which states that if they throw, smash - or 'execute' - one of their racquets in a public forum (a televised match and/or a match with spectators), the racquet company then has the right to withdraw $X from the contract.

I mean, really - every racquet smash is essentially the player exclaiming 'This thing is an absolutely useless piece of dung!'... and I don't believe that's the message that the racquet companies wished to express to the public when they signed the contract with the player.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:32 pm Oh, that wasn't a smash! That was EXECUTION. Nothing short than guillotining that racquet. Primal, primitive instincts!
That was a cleaver to a chicken's neck. Me like that a lot!!!
If only he had Baghdatis'd the other rackets in his bag.

by ponchi101
Deuce wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:46 pm ...

I mean, really - every racquet smash is essentially the player exclaiming 'This thing is an absolutely useless piece of dung!'... and I don't believe that's the message that the racquet companies wished to express to the public when they signed the contract with the player.
Not necessarily. Thanks to this piece of performance art, I can tell that to break a HEAD racquet you need a lot of force. Also, the final close-up shows how pretty the cosmetics are. ;)
Were.

by ti-amie Efficiency of motion. I mean to do that shows that you're dsigusted with everything and everyone but I'd like to see a bit more effort.

by JazzNU FYI, don't bother looking that hard for any smash you happen to see in the next 2 weeks. FFT is basically the biggest a-hole out there when it comes to going after anyone who posts a gif so almost no one is risking it. At best, a partner posts a video or you'll find it in highlights, but that's fairly uncommon. Post about it if you see a good one, just don't waste much of your time on a likely fruitless search.

by JazzNU We got a racquet smash! Because ESPN posted it thank goodness, so here is a (first, I think) entry from Coco Gauff.

Video has since been pulled.

by ponchi101 Like everything about her, she shows great promise.
I like that it was totally unexpected. She was walking back, not pleased but not terribly upset, and then unleashed it. I approve.

by Kellykelly
Kellykelly wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:32 pm Such a Great Smashing Racquet Contest. i am really excited for next contest.
Finally I get best durable tennis rackets for me and my team. I will play with these rackets in next smashing contest.

(link removed by admin)

<STYLE>A {text-decoration: none;} </STYLE>

by ponchi101
Kellykelly wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:21 pm
Kellykelly wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:32 pm Such a Great Smashing Racquet Contest. i am really excited for next contest.
Finally I get best durable tennis rackets or me and my team. I will play with these rackets in next smashing contest.
Kellykelly.
This is the second time you have posted a link for commercial enterprises. Please read our rules and regulations, as that is not approved without the admin consent.
One more time and we will enforce these rules with a three day ban.
Enjoy the rest of the forum.

by JazzNU Not a smash, but some violent swings from Shelby Rogers and since we haven't had many recently, thought you'd enjoy. Her poor doubles partner backing up to avoid the swings is Petra Martic.

by ti-amie Wow a rare entry from the WTA! She met all of my criteria for an award nomination.

by Drop-shot I'm not sure about the damage, but it sure was different.

by JazzNU Mediocre entry from Delbonis, only saved from being pitiful by the impressive bounce imo

by JazzNU And then not long after that, one of the all time greats in this category shows us he's still got it even if there's no racquet in play.

by ponchi101 Benoit's parents definitely spared the rod. They should have not.

by ti-amie Thanks for posting this Jazz. I saw it live and I mean you have to be impressed when someone flattens a water bottle.

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:18 pm And then not long after that, one of the all time greats in this category shows us he's still got it even if there's no racquet in play.

Sorry, but either he picks it up and cleans everything up, or he's defaulted. Honestly. How an adult could do that and then see a kid clean up after him and be OK with it is beyond me.

Kevin

by ponchi101
dmforever wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:04 am ...

Sorry, but either he picks it up and cleans everything up, or he's defaulted. Honestly. How an adult could do that and then see a kid clean up after him and be OK with it is beyond me.

Kevin
There the key to your question ;)

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:04 am

Kevin
I'd be fine with that. More than. But I think it goes for all of them that do this and there is bias in how people view these smashes, same as other things.

For instance, no one was saying this very loudly when a ball girl was out there with a dustpan and mini brush sweeping up the remains of Novak's racquet from his epic smash earlier this season. Although I can see why this would be viewed somewhat worse, it's not as if either is allowed on the court and the result is the same, one of the ball kids is cleaning up after the athlete's temper tantrum. But when it's Paire, who almost no one likes, it's brought up repeatedly in the comments ("clean up your mess a-hole or get defaulted!"), when it's Djokovic, it's "this guy has such an anger problem" along with plenty of "this should get a point penalty" or something much more minor like that, no one is talking default.

by ponchi101 I remember people in TAT1.0 indeed talking about the Nole smash and the ball girl sweeping the court, and us saying he should have picked it up himself.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:29 pm I remember people in TAT1.0 indeed talking about the Nole smash and the ball girl sweeping the court, and us saying he should have picked it up himself.
Maybe you're thinking of a different one, Novak has plenty. But the one I'm referring to is on page 3 of this thread as it was at the Aussie Open just this year. Feel free to check, but don't believe that's part of the conversation there, only mention of it on Twitter. But the point is, there is no talk of default when it's Novak either here or there, but it's the talk when it's just Paire (or Kyrgios). I'm not against imposing a harsher penalty for a tantrum that requires a cleanup, but it can't be just because it's being done by a player you don't like.

And not for nothing, the mess Paire created appears to have been considerably less than Novak's. If you don't remember, that ball girl was crouched down hitting different spots on court cleaning up the scattered debris.

by ponchi101 We have been open for THIS long?! :o
Ok, I was wrong, that was the one I was thinking about. My memory gets more defective by the minute.

Serious here. So, if we did not call for Novak to be defaulted, in a forum that has been very critical of the man on many occasions, that voids us from calling somebody else to be defaulted? Looking back, you make a point: Novak's mess was indeed considerable, but Paire's puddle was more so. And Paire has been in a crescendo of deplorable behavior on and off the court, so maybe indeed we are thinking about more severe punishments because sooner or later he can go totally nuts.

Last. This topic is usually like, NOT serious. We praise people for breaking racquets. Of all the topics, this is the one I enjoy the most when I see a new post. It is usually silliness3 ;)

by JazzNU I'm not the one who turned this serious, I posted Paire's for a bit of fun in contrast to the one that happened right before, but y'all just didn't take it that way because I guess you can't view Paire as entertainment? I don't know why honestly. Trust me when I say, that wasn't the reaction I thought it would be given the typical reactions to smashing things in this thread. @Ti's reply is what I was anticipating more of.

Paire's mess wasn't in the middle of the court but in front of his chair, the ball kid picked up the carton and tossed it, and it would appear not much more. The ball girl had to go onto the court, just behind the baseline and carefully sweep up Novak's mess. So, Paire's seemed bad, but most of it was water at the end of the day on a clay court. In terms of cleanup, I think Novak's required more because of where it was and probably because those pieces scattered could likely be fairly dangerous. Both were unnecessary tantrums, neither of which I'm excusing.

I'm just calling out unequal treatment for similar behavior. This one in particular struck me as really? I don't remember any of this energy for Novak in this very thread and that was in a tournament where his very best behavior was required to help start to repair his image. This isn't the biggest pro-Novak board, but he's still given a pass on many things by several here and he's respected by most for what he does on-court, so more tends to be seen as condoned I think. I doubt anyone would've argued the virtues of keeping Kyrgios in the US Open had he done that to a linesperson, for instance, but that was a conversation that was behind had on here.

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:25 pm
dmforever wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:04 am

Kevin
I'd be fine with that. More than. But I think it goes for all of them that do this and there is bias in how people view these smashes, same as other things.

For instance, no one was saying this very loudly when a ball girl was out there with a dustpan and mini brush sweeping up the remains of Novak's racquet from his epic smash earlier this season. Although I can see why this would be viewed somewhat worse, it's not as if either is allowed on the court and the result is the same, one of the ball kids is cleaning up after the athlete's temper tantrum. But when it's Paire, who almost no one likes, it's brought up repeatedly in the comments ("clean up your mess a-hole or get defaulted!"), when it's Djokovic, it's "this guy has such an anger problem" along with plenty of "this should get a point penalty" or something much more minor like that, no one is talking default.
I totally agree with you, and I'm a huge Nole fan. There shouldn't be a double standard. I guess the only thing I can say is that I've seen the other good, generous side of Novak's. I haven't seen that from Benoit, though maybe it's just that I haven't seen it. But for sure Nole deserved to be defaulted from the US Open, and again, I'm probably his biggest fan here.

Also, I think I'm the guilty party for turning this serious. To be honest, I don't normally read this thread, so I kind of missed that part of it. Mea culpa.

Kevin

by joshil

twitter:

by ti-amie

Naw. Maybe a five since Wawrinka rolled out of bed and did these without even thinking.

by ponchi101 5, indeed. Stan broke them almost in mid air. I like the goose stepping part, though. Well choreographed.

by ti-amie And I think we have a winner...

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:40 pm And I think we have a winner...

He needs to stop checking the PTPA What's App chat during matches.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:40 pm And I think we have a winner...

So I can't decide if it's better than Novak's. I think he gets deducted on style points a bit, he's almost falling over and takes more effort it seems. But I like the bounce and that end result is impressive, different but probably comparable to needing the scattered pieces swept up.

I'm torn. But an excellent entry either way.

by ponchi101 Superb. Only thing needed is for him to turn green and later admit he had an extra dose of gamma radiation. So far, best of the year.

by Deuce Vasek is kind of an enigma...
Off the court, he's one of the nicest, most thoughtful, most polite people you'll ever meet - the kind of guy you'd want your daughter to marry.
On the court, he is prone to fits like this. I've even seen him blow up during practice.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:09 pm Superb. Only thing needed is for him to turn green and later admit he had an extra dose of gamma radiation. So far, best of the year.
Why do you like it more than Novak's? Do you like that he's more out of control while he's doing the smash? Is it the result?

by ponchi101 From the video, it seems the smashing was automatic. He did not wait, or hesitate. It was primal, it was guttural, it has some Homo Horribilis nature to it, it simply was Dr Jeckill transforming into Mr. Hyde in a second.
Novak was deliberate. He seemed to be walking towards the net, and to me, the train of thought was:
"Don't do it. Just don't do it. Keep calm, don't do it, stay in control, don't do it (net post is within reach), just don't... F*** IT!!!!!!"
If you favor Novak's, no reason why not. But this one was primitive to the core.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:13 am From the video, it seems the smashing was automatic. He did not wait, or hesitate. It was primal, it was guttural, it has some Homo Horribilis nature to it, it simply was Dr Jeckill transforming into Mr. Hyde in a second.
Novak was deliberate. He seemed to be walking towards the net, and to me, the train of thought was:
"Don't do it. Just don't do it. Keep calm, don't do it, stay in control, don't do it (net post is within reach), just don't... F*** IT!!!!!!"
If you favor Novak's, no reason why not. But this one was primitive to the core.
I appreciate the breakdown.

FYI, I'm talking about a different Novak smash, sorry I guess there are enough of them I should be more specific, but I thought we had all been in agreement early on it was his to lose after the one at the Aussie Open.

by ponchi101 Ah! I had forgotten about that one. Yes, that one was superb, specially because he WAS winning.
I gotta think about this.

by JazzNU Didn't watch the match, so just going off the gif. An entry from Aslan. Nothing remarkable, but shows his strength real well.

by ti-amie Aslan doesn't have a parody account named "aslans calves" for nothing...

by ponchi101 Ok. Acceptable for this thread, but this is more in the realm of "warm up". Kind of "let me see how strong this racquet really is. Uhm, not that much".

by meganfernandez It looks like the racket breaks right before it hits the ground, as if it's preparing for the collision. The camera is just playing tricks, but what I see is a David Lynchian dimension-bending wrinkle in time. Bravo.

JazzNU wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:31 pm Didn't watch the match, so just going off the gif. An entry from Aslan. Nothing remarkable, but shows his strength real well.

by JazzNU Sascha has had some less than remarkable smashes over the years, but today had a great one. I'm hoping someone puts up a video or gif of it at some point today, but if you are watching and can go back or catch a repeat, it's immediately after he drops his serve to go down 1-2 in the 2nd set. Destroyed it.

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:19 pm Sascha has had some less than remarkable smashes over the years, but today had a great one. I'm hoping someone puts up a video or gif of it at some point today, but if you are watching and can go back or catch a repeat, it's immediately after he drops his serve to go down 1-2 in the 2nd set. Destroyed it.
This is all that I can find so far.

by JazzNU You can see a the beginning of it in this highlight package. The point starts around the 5:45 mark, the smash around the 6:00 mark.