'23 AO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '23 AO Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

dave g wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:07 am LiveScores says that the Goffin/Lokoli match is cancelled and that Lokoli is now slated to play Mmoh. So, it looks like Goffin has withdrawn.
:o
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

All of the matches are showing as suspended except Davidovich Fokina vs Bublik on Court 16, KaPlis vs Wang Xiyu as mentioned, and Murray vs Berrettini on Laver.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

dave g wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:07 am LiveScores says that the Goffin/Lokoli match is cancelled and that Lokoli is now slated to play Mmoh. So, it looks like Goffin has withdrawn.
OH, for pity's sakes- guess who was my Pool pick for today?!?! Goffin, you shrink piece of garbage snot. :gorgeous:

Nevertheless- VERY happy that Mmoh finally got a LL spot! :gorgeous:
Last edited by nelslus on Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ESPN just showed a small graph for the Matteo/Andy match, in which they showed the "AVERAGE FOREHAND HEAVINESS". Matteo at 7.6, Andy at 6.3.
Anybody knows what that means, or how is it measured?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

They showed that in the Garcia-Sebov match also, with a wider margin. Never heard of it before that.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:49 am Garbi out 6-1 in the 3rd.
I have said it before. You can't get in tennis shape by training off court. And you can't get in Slam shape without playing at least a little before the Slam. She has been off too long.
To me she needs to work on endurance training. She has some scintillating first sets (not today), some that are nearly flawless only to make a key mistake in the second set and then fade badly in the 3rd. If her start is that strong, it seems like it's not the tennis shape she's out of, but that she's not up for the grind. I'm not sure she ever could, but she can't count on matches going quickly and according to plan and finishing in under 2 hours.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I gave Sebov the kiss of death... She didn't win another game after I posted at 3-3.
There was no difference between her and Garcia up to that point, though.
Sometimes the moment just suddenly hits you - it could have been that she started thinking about playing in a Major on a big court for the first time...

Those silly statistics (like 'average forehand heaviness') are often born from fools trying to find yet another element for people to bet on. And/or they are to show off how 'knowledgeable' people are.
Either way, they are silly, meaningless statistics that are simply fabricated out of nothingness. How about 'average amount of blood rushing to the fingers on a slice serve?' :roll:
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:24 am ESPN just showed a small graph for the Matteo/Andy match, in which they showed the "AVERAGE FOREHAND HEAVINESS". Matteo at 7.6, Andy at 6.3.
I believe it's something some commentator latched onto and now the kids think it's a cool, in the know, thing to say.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:59 am
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:24 am ESPN just showed a small graph for the Matteo/Andy match, in which they showed the "AVERAGE FOREHAND HEAVINESS". Matteo at 7.6, Andy at 6.3.
I believe it's something some commentator latched onto and now the kids think it's a cool, in the know, thing to say.
So, no equation, ratio, way to figure it out? Because they gave a numeric value.
It is odd.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:16 am

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:02 am
So, no equation, ratio, way to figure it out? Because they gave a numeric value.
It is odd.

I'm watching the (blowout) playoff game, so not sure of what you're seeing. But InfoSys does the stats for Aussie Open, so I'd go with there is a calculation, though not sure what it is. If I see more about it as the tournament goes on, I'll post it. Unfortunately, I'd say Tennis Channel is better with providing additional detail on something like that than ESPN is, like ESPN might just say it, but TC might take the time to explain it a few times if it's a new metric they are mentioning or showing on screen.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's just a silly, 'fancy' way of saying how much topspin players hit with - which anyone who knows tennis can see with their eyes simply by watching.
I don't think anyone needs to know the supposed number of RPMs :roll: .

All players hit the ball hard today - no-one is moonballing... and so the amount of topspin will determine how 'heavy' a shot is.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

nelslus wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:16 am
OH, for pity's sakes- guess who was my Pool pick for today?!?! Goffin, you shrink piece of garbage snot. :gorgeous:
You're not the only one. :ax
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:06 am ...

I'm watching the (blowout) playoff game, so not sure of what you're seeing. But InfoSys does the stats for Aussie Open, so I'd go with there is a calculation, though not sure what it is. If I see more about it as the tournament goes on, I'll post it. Unfortunately, I'd say Tennis Channel is better with providing additional detail on something like that than ESPN is, like ESPN might just say it, but TC might take the time to explain it a few times if it's a new metric they are mentioning or showing on screen.
The L. America ESPN guys did not even talk about it. That is the reason I am more lost than usual.