'23 AO Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
texasniteowl

Re: '23 AO Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Post by texasniteowl »

I think it's funny how the McEnroe bros are acting so surprised that Nadal is down a set and a break and not dominating. Nadal's previous match against Draper wasn't exactly a stellar performance and just now Nadal is limping for sure.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Rafa looks like he did something to his hip
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

nelslus wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:32 am
.....I was debating between Miss Meghann Shaughnessy or Miss Lindsay Lee-Waters as Our Scrapheap Tour Guide. Miss Lee-Waters for the "win". :yahoo:

Well, I know who Meghann is, but don't remember Lindsay, so I get the context more now though it's funny either way. And I echo @Ti's "you ain't right." :lol:
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:34 am
nelslus wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:32 am
.....I was debating between Miss Meghann Shaughnessy or Miss Lindsay Lee-Waters as Our Scrapheap Tour Guide. Miss Lee-Waters for the "win". :yahoo:

Well, I know who Meghann is, but don't remember Lindsay, so I get the context more now though it's funny either way. And I echo @Ti's "you ain't right." :lol:
Zenda Leiss is next, baby!! (Not making that name up.)
I've been following tennis since the mid '70's, and I've read a number of books concerning past decades in tennis. I cannot be stopped. :steven:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:04 am ...

Come on, now. It hasn't crossed your mind that Rafa might be injured- more than usual? And/or exhausted? I mean, he's been losing, especially for him, a lot of matches lately. It'd be a mistake to play this for Rafa if he puts himself in more physical distress. Don't know what he's been saying in interviews. But, it's not like tennis pros are going to be fully honest about their injury status while playing any tournament, much less a Slam.

Again, for all I know, Rafa'll win this thing- he's pulled off countless miracles. All of this I post out of full respect for Rafa.
I posted about it (you have not been around). But it was about his serve; he has not recovered from that ab injury in Wimby, to the point in which he can extend properly. So, sure, he has been losing a lot lately (meaning since the USO) but I would not say to the point of skipping a slam.

Anyway. As you say, he has pulled enough miracles. But this looks pretty much over. Let's see what he can do.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:11 am I've said for a few years now that Felix needs to be more like Denis, and Denis needs to be more like Felix.
By that, I mean that Felix plays a game that is too conservative - like he's using a book as a guide - he is too disciplined... and Shapovalov plays too wildly, with not enough discipline.
The two of them are close friends - and have been since childhood... which is interesting because they are total opposites in terms of personality - and that carries over to their playing style.

Felix needs to trust himself more and not rely nearly as much on trying to play tennis the 'proper' way. There is no proper way to play tennis!! Trust your instincts! But I feel that Felix is focussing too much on 'being disciplined', and is not in touch with his instincts at all...

(And Denis relies too much on his instincts, which is to be flashy and 'spectacular' on the court. It looks nice, but it inherently leads to errors and inconsistency. And so he needs to be more disciplined, and go for intelligent shots more often instead of always going for the spectacular shots.)
I'm very happy that Felix took the time on a changeover to read my post above.
Always happy to help out a fellow Canadian!
:)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I think the chair umpire in the Felix - Molcan match got stuck in his ‘automatic elevator chair’...
I heard him say to the ball kids “Watch your head - I’m coming down”... then it looked like he was trying to press the button - or joystick or whatever - to lower the chair, but it wasn’t working. He then called some officials to help him, and, after a few minutes, they eventually got the chair to go down.

Those automatic elevator chairs are just an obnoxious way for people to show off that they can make such a contraption. There is obviously absolutely no valid reason for it - it’s certainly not needed or necessary - I think every umpire is physically capable of climbing up and down the 5 or 6 steps, as they have done for many decades.
Further, Andy Murray complained during his win over Berrettini that the foot rest of those automatic chairs extends out too far after he almost smacked his head on it while running down a shot.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Out goes Nadal in straight sets. His last AO perhaps?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:31 am Out goes Nadal in straight sets. His last AO perhaps?
More than 50% chance of that.
My idiot opinion, of course.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I hope Nadal takes all the time and rest he needs to be ready for one final Roland Garros...

Seeing his wife crying when he took the injury time out tells you all you need to know about how much tennis means to Rafa.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Andreescu once again creating drama where there should be none...
Won the 1st set easily 6-2 over little known qualifier Cristina Bucsa.

Then she somehow gets behind 1-5 in the 2nd set amid a few brief rain delays...

... Only to come back and tie the set at 6-6...

... Only to then lose the 2nd set tiebreak...

... Then she leaves the court before the 3rd set...

Sigh... :roll:
R.I.P. Amal...

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Watching Gauff..I see no sign of that cramped forehand..she is making room and whacking it! Good improvement!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

On a night where Spain lost their brightest star, qualifier Cristina Bucsa - a Spaniard born in Moldova - salvages the third day for her country in beating Andreescu...

Andreescu dominated the 1st set, and it looked like it was going to be a quick and easy match for her. She somehow got behind 1-5 in the 2nd, but came back and had a match point in the 2nd set tiebreak. But she ultimately lost the tiebreak, sending the match to a 3rd set...

The 3rd set was close - but Bucsa got an early break and held it (and held her composure) through the end of the set - 6-4. Full credit to her.

Meanwhile, Gauff took the 1st set off of Raducanu 6-3, and they are even at 4-4 with a break each in the 2nd.
R.I.P. Amal...

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Now it is back. Maybe the pressure..
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Gauff won the 2nd set tiebreak, and thus the match.
It was a good match played by both. Raducanu did better than most people expected of her (myself included). Although this will go down as an early round loss, let's hope that the fact that she played well against a top 10 player will help to get her back on the right track.

I kind of wanted to pick Gauff to win this tournament... but I can't do that. I just don't think she's quite ready yet to win a Major - in terms of maturity and experience. But it will come.
R.I.P. Amal...