'23 AO Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
JTContinental United States of America

Re: '23 AO Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Post by JTContinental »

Is Kasatkina injured? She got blasted in her warm up tournament final and now just lost the first set to Gracheva 1-6
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Kasatkina looked ill to me in the Adelaide Final vs. Bencic.
She wasn't running balls down as she usually does (even in practice), and she appeared rather lethargic.
I haven't heard or read any official account that she has been ill, though - so her performance tonight might be due to the unflattering top that adidas no doubt made her wear...
(She just lost 1 and 1.)

I like Kasatkina. I think she's one of the purest ball strikers on the tour. But she is quite fragile mentally. I hope she can eventually overcome that.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In the battle of the double surnames, Parrizaz Diaz just won the 1st set tiebreak over Haddad Maia 13-11.
The set took 1 hour, 21 minutes, and both players won 54 points.

And Sloane Stephens continues her inconsistent 'feast or famine' results with a straight set loss to Anastasia Potapova. Close sets - a tiebreak and 4-6 - but still a 1st round loss.

I'm watching Collins - Muchova now - just beginning. In theory, at least, this should be a good one.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

An intriguing 1st set between Collins and Muchova...
Muchova got ahead 5-2 while playing the beautiful all-court tennis that she was known for before her injuries. But then she all but completely disappeared for the next 4 games, allowing Collins to grab the momentum and go up 6-5. Muchova recovered just in time to send it to a tiebreak, which she then dominated 7-1.

Meanwhile, Parrizas Diaz beat Haddad Maia in straight sets...

Rybakina and Kostyuk both won easily...

Tsitsipas took care of Rinky quickly in straight sets...

Shapovalov won the first 2 sets over Daniel - the 2nd in a tiebreak -, and they're on serve halfway through the 3rd.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Collins - Muchova was indeed a good, very close match. Collins won 6-7, 6-2, 7-6.
This was the best I’ve seen Muchova play since she’s come back from her injuries. There were just too many lulls in her play, though.
Still, she should feel good about playing so well. She’s on the right path.

Full credit to Collins - she gutted it out and was the better player in the end.

When Collins won her 7th point in the 3rd set tiebreak to make it 7-3, she dropped her racquet and threw up her arms in celebration that she won...
The only problem was that final set tiebreaks are 10 points, not 7. Collins was quite confused, and went to the umpire for an explanation.
Muchova knew it was a 10 point tiebreak, and was ready to play the next point. Collins lost 3 of the next 4 points... but eventually did win it 10-6. After the match, she said it was quite embarrassing when she thought she had won it at 7 points.
She gets Rybakina next. That should be a good one, as well.
R.I.P. Amal...