Re: '23 AO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

PS: Bautista Agut is a fungus. :)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As long as we have 5 setters, these matches will happen. The variation in the length of time for a match is too much.
By now, Andy has had enough break points in the fifth so say that if he loses, it was his fault.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

....IF anyone anoints THIS match as yet another Andy-Embracing-His-Inner-Wozniacki Match of the Year candidate, I am going to pinch them. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

I already plan to pinch the two ESPN-Plus fluttery (British? Hey, I'm on little sleep) commentatory, with their hyperbolic and never-shut-up commentary- "IF I have EVAH!!!! seen a better match, I cannot recall" BS (similar comments made during Andy's 1R win vs. today's 2R win). Yes, folks- history was, somehow, made, yet again. :yahoo:

At least now Andy will next face the Always Grindy Bautista Agut, so Andy can have another 8 hour love-fest.

I need Andy Murry to lose. Soon. :gorgeous:
Last edited by nelslus on Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:16 pm ....IF anyone anoints THIS match as yet another Andy-Embracing-His-Inner-Wozniacki Match of the Year candidate, I am going to pinch them. :gorgeous:
Therefore, there will be a line of people saying EXACTLY that :P
But so far, he has played the two best matches of the tournament. So, he is in the lead.

But if these people have said that this was the best match of the year, they simply have not watched enough. Or are not old enough (like, uhm, the two people discussing this).

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:23 pmOr are not old enough (like, uhm, the two people discussing this).
Sophia Loren has confirmed that we are Old Enough. (She calls us "Daddy".) :gorgeous:
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Actually, Murray has played incredibly well in both of his matches at the Australian Open--far better than any match since he got the artificial hip.

If his body holds up--and that's a major question--he will make it to the semis because his draw in the next three rounds is easier than his first two matches. RBA, who his past his prime and somehow got down two sets to Brandon Holt, is next. Then the winner of Paul-Brooksby in the 4th round. Then Wolf-Mmoh-Popyrin-Shelton in the quarters.

If Djokovic's hamstring becomes a real issue, it could get even more interesting for Murray, again making the risky assumption his body he will be fit to play at the same level in the next round.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

RBA is an underrated hard court player, and despite past his prime, he is not as past his prime as Andy is past his.
Of course, Andy's prime was way better, so I will go with your analysis.
About Novak's hamstring: that it just BS. You then see him running on court like a gazelle in flight.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

I wanted to punch the on-court interviewer after Andy's match. Shut up and let him go get his ice bath and some sleep already! Even after Andy responded that the fans and players needed to go home and go to sleep, he still insisted on asking another stupid question.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:14 pm RBA is an underrated hard court player, and despite past his prime, he is not as past his prime as Andy is past his.
Of course, Andy's prime was way better, so I will go with your analysis.
About Novak's hamstring: that it just BS. You then see him running on court like a gazelle in flight.
I'm the charter member of the RBA being underrated on hard courts club. He's the guy who sent Murray into "retirement" at this tournament four years ago. But his level has dropped since then. Although he is capable of beating Murray again, I do not think his level will be as high as Berrettini or Kokkinakis.

You are very likely right about Djokovic's hamstring--I have not seen either of his matches--but niggling injuries in the past have turned out to be real for him (thought not as often as the opposite), causing him multiple defeats at the U.S. Open when they became more severe.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:59 pm As long as we have 5 setters, these matches will happen. The variation in the length of time for a match is too much.
By now, Andy has had enough break points in the fifth so say that if he loses, it was his fault.
Why are you blaming 5-setters and not night sessions? Start the "late matches" earlier and this doesn't happen.

As for faulting Murray, given your pre-tournament commentary on him, the opposite of what you say is what the truth is, so Andy isn't to blame.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

In glancing thru the the posts, I'm not seeing anything about the Garcia vs. Fernandez match, which is a shame. An incredibly high quality match that could've gone either way and definitely could've gone to 3 sets. Worthy of a much later round in the tournament. Caroline played almost every crucial point perfectly. She's really a much stronger mental player than she was 4 years ago. If you're looking for a match to watch today, that's a good candidate.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Mmoh beating Zverev is kind of a big deal. Mmoh has had a tendency to lose focus in important matches. He's using his LL very well. I'm not saying he's going to romp going forward but for a player who seemed to be stuck at a certain level he did well here.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:01 pm In glancing thru the the posts, I'm not seeing anything about the Garcia vs. Fernandez match, which is a shame. An incredibly high quality match that could've gone either way and definitely could've gone to 3 sets. Worthy of a much later round in the tournament. Caroline played almost every crucial point perfectly. She's really a much stronger mental player than she was 4 years ago. If you're looking for a match to watch today, that's a good candidate.
Those that saw it said so. But some of us get only one feed.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:48 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:59 pm As long as we have 5 setters, these matches will happen. The variation in the length of time for a match is too much.
Why are you blaming 5-setters and not night sessions? Start the "late matches" earlier and this doesn't happen.

As for faulting Murray, given your pre-tournament commentary on him, the opposite of what you say is what the truth is, so Andy isn't to blame.
I am not blaming anything. I am saying that, because best of 5 have such a great length difference, every once in a while you will get such a late start. Get two matches that last 4 hours, plus a 3 setter in between, and even if you start at 11:00 you first night match will start at 9:00 pm. Have another 3 setter and you get your 11:00 PM start, and this happens. So, unless you decide that the night session will be just one match, these matches will happen.
And JazzNu. All I said before the tournament was that I did not see Andy beating Berretini. I mean, are we at the stage that one comment immediately becomes scorched earth? It's like, why even post?