'23 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
atlpam United States of America

Re: '23 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by atlpam »

I need Coco to win so I don’t have to witness Ostapenko’s kit again. Ostapenko is firing on all cylinders today.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Swiatek vs. Rybakina went much the way I thought it would. Lena has looked very good this week. I figured that Danielle Collins would be a more challenging match, and though it was, Danielle was definitely a bit off in her match, so it wasn't the challenge I expected it to be.

As for a tough draw. Eh. If she's the champion they've been promoting her to be the last year, she should be able to get through the toughest draws and come out with the trophy. That's part of the deal if you want to be considered one of the greats.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:21 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:51 am
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:46 am ...

Lies. I can't remember what team it is you're a fan of, but you live in Michigan so I'll go with that. Are you telling me you'd say that if the Lions were up 28-0? Or if Michigan was up 28-0 on Ohio State? But also, that's what we all thought about the Jags and Chargers at the half too. Not thinking we're getitng a repeat, but given the comebacks of the Jags and the Dolphins last week, a big lead is not what it used to be.
The Lions could be up 48-0 at the half, and you know it is not over. And the Chargers.... are the Chargers.
These are the Eagles. I say: time to pull Hurts out. Let that shoulder rest. ;)
(I'll stick with Iga/Elena).
So, I'm going to assume you don't know a ton of Eagles fans. I'm not a real Eagles fan, but have been around them for years. They are always thinking it could all end the way it did for the Chargers. Always. They will be waiting until very late in this game to breathe a sigh of relief and only if they have more than a one-score lead deep in the 4th quarter.
YES, YES, boys, we all know now how MACHO!!!!! you all are. :gorgeous:

Now, back to Ostapenko's latest Shrek ensemble....
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:27 am I need Coco to win so I don’t have to witness Ostapenko’s kit again. Ostapenko is firing on all cylinders today.
PLUS, the little Satan doll last lost to Kalinskaya 3 & 4, and Begu 3 & 0. Just STOP it, you shrinky little gargoyle!!

AND, grow up FAST, 18 year old Gauf!!

Post by JazzNU »

nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:28 am

Boys?!?

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:33 am
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:28 am

Boys?!?
Ummmmm....

YES, YES, girls, we all know now how MACHO!!!!! you all are. :gorgeous:

Post by JazzNU »

atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:27 am I need Coco to win so I don’t have to witness Ostapenko’s kit again. Ostapenko is firing on all cylinders today.
As ugly as Ostapenko's kit is, I'm probably more disturbed by the rest of what she's got on. And is tailoring not a thing in Latvia? The fit is next level tragic.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Up to now, the ill-dressed Ostapenko has been the better player over the well-dressed Gauff.
I suppose that goes to show once again that substance matters, and style doesn't matter at all.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Ostapenko looking like she did when she blasted her way to the French Open title.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Gauff has not had one significant win since Roland Garros. Not one, yet people were falling all over themselves talking about her as a threat to win the Australian Open.

Nothing about this match should have been surprising. Gauff played very well in winning the lead-up tournament and in her first three matches here, but she was never under pressure, and it easy to play with confidence when your opponent cannot beat you. Her forehand still breaks down under pressure. Plus, Ostapenko can beat anyone when she's hitting on all cylinders--including players considerably better than Gauff is now.

Post by nelslus »

atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:47 am Ostapenko looking like she did when she blasted her way to the French Open title.
EVEN more than most, you never know what you're gonna get with Ostapenko. Obviously, she can be an excellent big match player- except for, way more often as of late, when she's not.

Of course, Ostapenko can be a hellish opponent the first time you are playing her. And, at 18, Coco has the "she's still very, very young" excuse for the next five years or so.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

What Khachanov is doing to Nishioka right now is downright cruel.
And it just keeps snowballing...
Nishioka can't even win a point, let alone a game...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:47 am Ostapenko looking like she did when she blasted her way to the French Open title.
Yes, also the way she looked for about 3-4 weeks about 11 months ago at the big hard court tournaments following the Aussie Open.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

So is Nishioka injured or what? I haven't seen any of it but good grief, the scoreline!

Post by JazzNU »

Serious question because I just have never seen any information on it.

What happened with Khachanov? Was looking like he'd be a perennial top 15 player in 2018 when he really showed he could go toe to toe with top players. Then just fell off, started coming back into form a bit in 2021 and then considerably more so in 2022. Now looking all the way back. He became the also ran Russian player, falling behind even Karatsev in relevance for a bit (who I've always been suspicious about).

He's not old. He's been playing, so not injured. Unless he was maybe playing though an injury? It's just strange how much he was in the conversation for a bit and then was decidedly not, and is now looking like the player that had everyone thinking he'd be a contender back in 2018. Like Kasatkina certainly went through something like that, but that's been explained. But I haven't heard anything about Karen maybe struggling with being on tour or confidence. Anyone heard anything?