'23 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '23 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:46 am If Stefanos manages to not reach the final from this position then his future is dim indeed
Mr. Tsitsipas wishes to inform you that you are officially off his Christmas card list. (And, to- well, you know, keep his name out of your....etc., etc.) :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:05 pm Mr. Tsitsipas wishes to inform you that you are officially off his Christmas card list. (And, to- well, you know, keep his name out of your....etc., etc.) :gorgeous:
It feels likely that Tsitsipas will win a major at some point, but if there were ever a player that I would hope would not live up to the expectations it would be him, though Rune is giving him a run for his money in that category. Rune is only 19 though, so I'm giving him time to grow out of his obnoxious stage.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:02 am FAA should really be doing better than this at this stage of his career. First time I watched Lehecka play...
FAA should be doing better (so should Shapovolov for that matter), so not trying to excuse him not progressing further. But Lehecka was part of Next Gen last season and was the runner up, all signs are pointing to this loss not seeming as bad in a couple of years. He's just one that seemed to have risen pretty rapidly and without much attention on him. In SP, I noticed people picking against him to their peril and I have to assume that they did so not knowing he was a rising Next Gen player that could be dangerous and thought he was more like a Qualifier they hadn't heard of.

He beat Zverev a couple of weeks ago, now beaten Coric, Norrie, and FAA. Zverev could've seemed like a fluke with his returning from a bad injury, but this week suggests it is not.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

^^ Funny when you think about who was campaigning for the rule change the loudest at embarrassing levels. It's a shame Sinner couldn't complete that comeback just for this alone.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

What was the rule change they are talking about? I am missing something.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:37 pm What was the rule change they are talking about? I am missing something.
Coaching from the stands. Sinner apparently got coached steadily throughout his comeback. The photo above is them using hand signals to tell Sinner what to do (and it being allowed, not a code violation that was missed).

Post by JazzNU »

skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:22 am Interesting that Sinner has progressed enough that Nike is not making him wear the typical kit that the average Nike player is wearing at this tournament
Forgot to come back to this comment earlier. Sinner signed a big deal with Nike last spring. I don't think it was ever confirmed by reputable outlets, but the number that was floated around was $150 million over 10 years.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:37 am
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:22 am Interesting that Sinner has progressed enough that Nike is not making him wear the typical kit that the average Nike player is wearing at this tournament
Forgot to come back to this comment earlier. Sinner signed a big deal with Nike last spring. I don't think it was ever confirmed by reputable outlets, but the number that was floated around was $150 million over 10 years.
It was. That's the deal. I remember because a lot of people, even here, mentioned that those were Federer numbers.
I really like him. But $15MM/year... not for a player with no semis at any slam.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

This is worth watching...
The kid's growing up.
Honest, straightforward answers... not trying to avoid anything... giving credit to her opponent...
At one point (about the 4 minute mark), she begins to cry, and is offered an escape from the room by the moderator - but instead of accepting it, she quietly declares "No, it's ok - I can continue."
Kind of want to give her a hug and a pat on the back...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower