UPDATED 2023 AOSP Women's Picks & Results Thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

JTContinental United States of America

UPDATED 2023 AOSP Women's Picks & Results Thread

Post by JTContinental »

Come on through the golden gates, remaining players! Rest comfortably in the knowledge that the first day of breathing this rarified air is often too much for our constitutions, causing us to make terrible, carnage-inducing picks that decimate the field. But for now, breathe up, drink your champagne, and definitely don't think about how Azarenka's opponent has sucessfully eliminated people from the pool in every round of the tournament so far. Enjoy and bon voyage!

Our remaining 20 players are:

Re: UPDATED 2023 AOSP Women's Picks & Results Thread

Post by JTContinental »

Adicecream : Teichmann>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Krejcikova>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Ostapenko

Bankerb4 : Zheng>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Bencic>>Pegula>>Vekic>>Gauff

Bonneau : Teichmann>>Begu>>Krejcikova>>Giorgi>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>Pliskova

Cdavid99 : Burel>>Samsonova>>Rybakina>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Krejcikova>>Bencic>>Azarenka>>Garcia

Chaitumsc : Zheng>>Rogers>>Kostyuk>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Vekic>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Rybakina>>Linette>>Sabalenka

Dryrunguy : Teichmann>>Samsonova>>Rybakina>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Krejcikova>>Linette>>Gauff

Franchise : Krejcikova>>Rogers>>Kostyuk>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>Pliskova

G2gaynor : Xy. Wang>>Rogers>>Kostyuk>>Giorgi>>Ostapenko>>Vekic>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Rybakina>>Sabalenka>>Linette

Gernblandston : Keys>>Rogers>>Rybakina>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Bencic>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Pegula

Gunner : Burel>>Begu>>Kostyuk>>Bencic>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Pegula

JTContinental : Burel>>Pliskova>>Kostyuk>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Vekic>>Azarenka>>Zhang

Jason11E : Muchova>>Rogers>>Kostyuk>>Mertens>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>Pliskova

Jazzyg : Zheng>>Zhang>>Kostyuk>>Giorgi>>Gauff>>Vekic>>Azarenka>>Garcia

Michelle_fenlon : Burel>>Vekic>>Kostyuk>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Gauff

Mikeprice444 : Zheng>>Zhang>>Krejcikova>>Mertens>>Ostapenko>>Bencic>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Rybakina>>Linette>>Sabalenka

Nelslus : Krejcikova>>Vekic>>Kostyuk>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Gauff

Ponchi101 : Krejcikova>>Samsonova>>Azarenka>>Alexandrova>>Gauff>>Zhang>>Ostapenko>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>Pliskova

Theslayer91 : Teichmann>>Begu>>Azarenka>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Bencic>>Gauff

Tolulops : Burel>>Alexandrova>>Kostyuk>>Pliskova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Gauff

Zephyrstorm03 : Pera>>Vekic>>Kostyuk>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Rybakina>>Linette>>Sabalenka

Post by JTContinental »

1 zombie attempted to crash the gates, but all 20 remaining players successfully made their picks today. Theoretically, this contest could end tonight, if Azarenka and Gauff both lose.

The breakdown:

Victoria Azarenka 13
Coco Gauff 6
Jelena Ostapenko 1
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I.... made it? :shock:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:49 am I.... made it? :shock:
Yep, as I thought you would.

Now the 13 players left (including me) have to have Azarenka win to keep this pool alive. I haven't had much confidence in Azarenka for several years, but I felt like she was the right pick here. Let's see what happens.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:49 am I.... made it? :shock:
Pfffffttttt. I hope that this turns out to be worth the price of your soul, Jezebel. :gorgeous:

Truth be told- I haven't felt real good about any of my picks for awhile now. LOL, I didn't feel good about picking Ostapenko when I did! Even more than usual, everything seems so unpredictable for almost all rounds with both tours. We all are just going to have accept flying by the seat of our pants during these Pools.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Seriously. I picked Alona because I felt that picking Iga would have cornered me even more. So, the reality is that this was plain, dumb luck. Sure, now I can say I picked Coco at the right time, and Ostapenko at the right time, and if Azarenka loses today and I win, it is just dumb luck from my side,
As you say. Especially with the WTA, it is flying by the seat of our pants most of the times.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:06 am Seriously. I picked Alona because I felt that picking Iga would have cornered me even more. So, the reality is that this was plain, dumb luck. Sure, now I can say I picked Coco at the right time, and Ostapenko at the right time, and if Azarenka loses today and I win, it is just dumb luck from my side,
As you say. Especially with the WTA, it is flying by the seat of our pants most of the times.
OH, I know. I mean, I think all of us were thinking, well, Coco could definitely lose to Ostapenko, and Azarenka for sure could lose to anyone these days. And, isn't funny that, sometimes with these pools, being either literally or in one's mind, feeling "boxed in" can lead to making the "wrong" choice that works out well for you.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I'm a bit surprised by the number of Coco pickers. Will look forward to seeing the breakdown in Predictions. And with @ponchi saying he was saving Swiatek, wonder if that's the main winner there as well. That's not surprising in general, but didn't line up with what I was seeing this week on court.

Post by nelslus »

I've already mentioned Ostapenko's singles record this year, she hasn't been on a good singles win streak for awhile, and she hasn't been in a Slam singles SF/QF since Wimbledon 2018. And, Ostapenko struggled mightily the first two sets this tournament against Bondar. and she had never made it past R3 at the Aussie. On paper at least, Gauff's had a better singles record as of late, and she had looked very good to me during this tournament.

I don't think anyone who picked Gauff did so with a ton of confidence. I figured Gauff would next lose to Iga, or possibly to Rybanina next round. Ostapenko can clearly pull out the Inspiration card at any point in time, clearly. But, even in hindsight, I'd have been surprised not to see the majority picking Gauff.

Post by nelslus »

...WELL, then, now that i've looked at her record, Gauff did lose R1 at the Aussie last year, and before that, it'd been R2 and R16. So, there's that. :freaking:
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:40 am I've already mentioned Ostapenko's singles record this year, she hasn't been on a good singles win streak for awhile, and she hasn't been in a Slam singles SF/QF since Wimbledon 2018. And, Ostapenko struggled mightily the first two sets this tournament against Bondar. and she had never made it past R3 at the Aussie. On paper at least, Gauff's had a better singles record as of late, and she had looked very good to me during this tournament.

I don't think anyone who picked Gauff did so with a ton of confidence. I figured Gauff would next lose to Iga, or possibly to Rybanina next round. Ostapenko can clearly pull out the Inspiration card at any point in time, clearly. But, even in hindsight, I'd have been surprised not to see the majority picking Gauff.
I'm not surprised that people picked Gauff over Ostapenko, I'm surprised they picked in that specific match. I thought Coco was likely to lose, I thought at least some would think along the same lines. But it's also clear I view Ostapenko's form in the last year and Gauff's performance this tournament differently than you do.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:54 am
Yep, as I thought you would.

Now the 13 players left (including me) have to have Azarenka win to keep this pool alive. I haven't had much confidence in Azarenka for several years, but I felt like she was the right pick here. Let's see what happens.
Well Pool will be alive... for just one person though :)
:steven:
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Ponchi deserves a shout. Yes, he was a bit cornered, and we've all been there, but he could have taken the cheap route, taken Swiatek (which, in retrospect, wouldn't have worked) and hope to outlast the pack.

He didn't. Ponchi took the brave route.

That's admirable stuff. Well done.
joanjettson Brazil

Post by joanjettson »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:49 amI.... made it?
I want to know who made Alona's superhero costume ⚡️