'23 AO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
JazzNU United States of America

Re: '23 AO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:59 am Rybakina reminds me a bit of Pliskova, with the FH/BH dynamic inverted. The serve is excellent, the BH is better than the FH (Rybakina), the movement is not stellar. She hit one volley that was downright Navratilova-esque, so she can play there.
The nerves seem to have been manufactured in Sweden. Her composure when serving for the match is awesome.
Maybe it's the difference in time watching the two, but I view Rybakina as much more athletic on court than Pliskova. Now, I'm not saying I think she's got Coco's movement or anything, but I haven't registered that as a weakness on the level that I have with Pliskova.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

^She is more athletic than Pliskova.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

As much as I dislike her comments about Tomljanović, and how she can get snotty and negative- when Jelena plays well- she really can be a joy to watch- even when she beats my favorites. So much variety, great hands, creativity, excellent defense. But, as is true for too many players- she has way too many losses like this. I mean, Rybakina served like a demon and played an excellent match. But, you gotta have a true Plan B, C, etc. She should have tried different positions returning serves- especially being so close to the baseline trying to return her first serve. And, for crying out loud, FORGET!!!! constantly turning to your crew over every single electronic line call that she didn't like (which was pretty much every single point that she lost.)

IMO, Rybakina, as one should expect, has areas she can still improve- movement, second serve, defense, movement, approach shots. But- what strengths she already has. I truly do watch enjoying Rybakina play.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:04 am
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:59 am Rybakina reminds me a bit of Pliskova, with the FH/BH dynamic inverted. The serve is excellent, the BH is better than the FH (Rybakina), the movement is not stellar. She hit one volley that was downright Navratilova-esque, so she can play there.
The nerves seem to have been manufactured in Sweden. Her composure when serving for the match is awesome.
Maybe it's the difference in time watching the two, but I view Rybakina as much more athletic on court than Pliskova. Now, I'm not saying I think she's got Coco's movement or anything, but I haven't registered that as a weakness on the level that I have with Pliskova.
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:11 am ^She is more athletic than Pliskova.
I said a bit. I said (yesterday, when JazzNu and I were talking about Plis) that Pliskova has to be the worst mover ever to have reached #1, certainly one of the worst to have reached the top 10. That Rybakina is more athletic I agree. But her start step is very slow; she could use some blood from Deminaur, who seems to dart towards the shot while the ball is still in the opponent's racquet.
As the areas for improvement: Nelslus' list is fair. I say the FH is still a bit shaky; most of her UE's came from that wing (I think).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

nelslus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 am As much as I dislike her comments about Tomljanović, and how she can get snotty and negative- when Jelena plays well- she really can be a joy to watch- even when she beats my favorites.
Is this a new something that happened or the drama from a couple of years ago?

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:35 am
nelslus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 am As much as I dislike her comments about Tomljanović, and how she can get snotty and negative- when Jelena plays well- she really can be a joy to watch- even when she beats my favorites.
Is this a new something that happened or the drama from a couple of years ago?
The drama a few years ago. LOL, I never forget!! :gorgeous: (She has also been pretty snotty to other players she considers beneath her.)
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

In my opinion, both players behaved like entitled 'Divas' in this ...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

I hope the doctor told him that continuing to play can't cause any damage to his wrist, because this isn't making a lot of sense to me otherwise. Even more confused why his box seemingly telling him to finish the match. I hope they've gotten more info than we are aware of right now. Wrist injuries are nothing to play with.

ETA: Thank goodness, Sebi just retired. Not worth it to maybe put the rest of your season in jeopardy (or longer - ask Thiem and Delpo).

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:49 am I hope the doctor told him that continuing to play can't cause any damage to his wrist, because this isn't making a lot of sense to me otherwise. Even more confused why his box seemingly telling him to finish the match. I hope they've gotten more info than we are aware of right now. Wrist injuries are nothing to play with.
Haven't watched any of this match. When did this injury take place? Korda has now defaulted. Sad about this result, as I hate to see someone go out who might have had a very slight (LOL, I know, I know) chance of beating Novax. But- I have to very much respect that this is Khachanov's best Aussie result by a mile.

Post by JazzNU »

nelslus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:54 am
Haven't watched any of this match. When did this injury take place? Korda has now defaulted. Sad about this result, as I hate to see someone go out who might have had a very slight (LOL, I know, I know) chance of beating Novax. But- I have to very much respect that this is Khachanov's best Aussie result by a mile.
Several games into the 2nd set. Played the rest of the 2nd set, was competitive, but not as much as before he tweaked his wrist. And then it was clearly hurting him more and more, he was holding the racket differently between points, missing shots that were very easy. It's a shame, but the right call to retire and figure out what is wrong with his wrist. Hopefully nothing major.

It was a very good match up until the injury, definitely a toss up which way it would've gone.

And I agree, I thought if he got there, he would have a shot at beating Novak.

Post by nelslus »

I watched almost all of the second set of the following. Apparently from 0-4 down, and saving at least one set point in the first set, Dolehide and Kalinskaya beat 3rd seeds Dabrowski and Olmos 7-5, 6-2. In the second set, they both were absolutely brilliant. Excellent serving (especially from Dolehide), incredible lobs- some of which could not even be tracked down (especially from Kalinskaya), and excellent ground strokes, returns and volleys. Well done.

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:01 am
nelslus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:54 am
Several games into the 2nd set. Played the rest of the 2nd set, was competitive, but not as much as before he tweaked his wrist. And then it was clearly hurting him more and more, he was holding the racket differently between points, missing shots that were very easy. It's a shame, but the right call to retire and figure out what is wrong with his wrist. Hopefully nothing major.

It was a very good match up until the injury, definitely a toss up which way it would've gone.

And I agree, I thought if he got there, he would have a shot at beating Novak.
Very slight chance for Tsitsipas (assuming he can get into the final) Novax upset, very, very slight chance for Rublev. Negative zero chances for the rest (still love ya, Ben!!)

Alternate thought: Novax one step closer to 28-plus singles Slam titles.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Azarenka takes the 1st set over Pegula, despite an impressive comeback from Pegula when Azarenka appeared to be in total control of the set.
It was a long set - over an hour for a 6-4 set.
At this point, it's still anyone's match...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Azarenka is moving Pegula around a lot in the 2nd set - and Pegula is slow in responding and in positioning herself properly.
Additionally, Azarenka barely has to move, as Pegula is hitting 90% of her shots right at Azarenka.
In this set, Pegula looks similar to how she looked at the year end championships - kind of lost and listless, resigned to defeat.
4-1 Azarenka, 2nd set (in this 2nd set, Azarenka has 2 breaks, Pegula has 1).
R.I.P. Amal...

Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:00 am
nelslus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:53 am
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:40 am Just seeing and hearing Jelena Dokic do an on court interview for the first time.
My first time seeing her this year- she's been doing some commentary on the matches via ESPN+. I read her book. What that poor woman went through with her evil father and horrible childhood. Nothing but love for Jelena.
For real. I guess people have been giving her a hard time and they need to get over themselves. She's found a way to be happy after the awful things she's gone through, find a new hobby and let her be.
Giving her a hard time is putting it mildly. I saw some vitriol that had been compiled into a single post and it was brutal.

Sidebar - Seb's retirement was the first in Singles of the tournament!