Centre Court Starts At 11:00 Am

(4) Lloyd Glasspool/Harri Heliovaara
VS (WC) Petros Tsitsipas/Stefanos Tsitsipas
Not Before 1:00 Pm
Richard Gasquet VS (7) Pablo Carreno Busta
Not Before 2:30 Pm
Grigor Dimitrov VS (Q) Aslan Karatsev
Followed By
(Q) Sander Gille/Joran Vliegen VS (WC) Tallon Griekspoor/Botic van de Zandschulp
Not Before 7:30 Pm
(PR) Stan Wawrinka VS Alexander Bublik
Followed By
David Goffin VS (Q) Gregoire Barrere

by ti-amie Tuesday, February 14, 2023 Day 4

(5) Hubert Hurkacz
VS Roberto Bautista Agut
Soonwoo Kwon VS (8) Alexander Zverev
Lorenzo Sonego VS (3) Felix Auger-Aliassime
(1) Stefanos Tsitsipas
VS Emil Ruusuvuori
Followed By
(6) Daniil Medvedev
VS Alejandro Davidovich Fokina

Court 1 Starts At 11:00 Am

(WC) Gijs Brouwer VS Marc-Andrea Huesler
Followed By
Fabrice Martin/Andrey Rublev VS (3) Ivan Dodig/Austin Krajicek
Followed By
(Q) Mikael Ymer VS (WC) Tallon Griekspoor
Not Before 4:00 Pm / Possible Court Change
(PR) Alexander Bublik/Stan Wawrinka VS (2) Nikola Mektic/Mate Pavic
Followed By
Grigor Dimitrov/Nicolas Mahut VS Andreas Mies/John Peers
Followed By
Rohan Bopanna/Matthew Ebden VS Hugo Nys/Jan Zielinski

by ti-amie

by Deuce Bublik has more natural tennis talent than the great majority of players out there, but he really doesn't give a damn if he wins or loses - he's just out there to have a good time.
Last week, he broke character in smashing those racquets - but it must have been an act, pretending to care.

Today, he was back to his usual self, losing to an ageing Wawrinka, who is almost 38 years old and looks like he's playing at about 25 pounds over his normal playing weight.
Bublik was just playing around the entire match, trying to be 'cute', etc. - and, inevitably, Wawrinka would hit winners off of Bublik's 'cute' shots... and Bublik would laugh...

Elsewhere, Goffin got creamed 6-0 in the 1st set by a guy named Gregoire Barrere, who is apparently #71 in the rankings, which is his highest. Goffin still had trouble holding his serve in the 2nd set - but he was breaking, as well, so it went to a tiebreak, which Goffin lost.

by ti-amie Tuesday, February 14, 2023 Day 4

(5) Hubert Hurkacz
VS Roberto Bautista Agut
Soonwoo Kwon VS (8) Alexander Zverev
Lorenzo Sonego VS (3) Felix Auger-Aliassime
(1) Stefanos Tsitsipas
VS Emil Ruusuvuori
Followed By
(6) Daniil Medvedev
VS Alejandro Davidovich Fokina

(WC) Gijs Brouwer VS Marc-Andrea Huesler
Followed By
Fabrice Martin/Andrey Rublev VS (3) Ivan Dodig/Austin Krajicek
Followed By
(Q) Mikael Ymer VS (WC) Tallon Griekspoor
Not Before 4:00 Pm / Possible Court Change
(PR) Alexander Bublik/Stan Wawrinka VS (2) Nikola Mektic/Mate Pavic
Followed By
Grigor Dimitrov/Nicolas Mahut VS Andreas Mies/John Peers
Followed By
Rohan Bopanna/Matthew Ebden VS Hugo Nys/Jan Zielinski

by 3mlm
Deuce wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:03 am Elsewhere, Goffin got creamed 6-0 in the 1st set by a guy named Gregoire Barrere, who is apparently #71 in the rankings, which is his highest. Goffin still had trouble holding his serve in the 2nd set - but he was breaking, as well, so it went to a tiebreak, which Goffin lost.
Barrere has had a pretty good start this year (for him). In January he defeated Coria in qualifying and Isner in the first round in Auckland. After losing first round in the AO he won a qualifier, defeating Arthur Fils in the final, and last week he lost to Rune in the quarterfinals of Montpellier after wins over Bublik and Basilashvili. He's up to #56 in the Live ATP Rankings and #22 in the ATP Live Race to Turin after his win over Goffin.

by ponchi101 And another player I have barely heard of.

by 3mlm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:28 pm And another player I have barely heard of.
And he's 28.

by ti-amie Wednesday, February 15, 2023 Day 5

Benjamin Bonzi VS Jannik Sinner
(4) Holger Rune
VS (Q) Constant Lestienne
Botic van de Zandschulp VS (LL) Quentin Halys
Alex de Minaur VS (2) Andrey Rublev
Followed By
(WC) Tallon Griekspoor VS (8) Alexander Zverev

(WC) Tim van Rijthoven VS Maxime Cressy
Followed By
(PR) Stan Wawrinka VS Richard Gasquet
Followed By
(5) Hubert Hurkacz
VS Grigor Dimitrov
Not Before 4:00 Pm
Robin Haase/Matwe Middelkoop VS Santiago Gonzalez/Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Followed By
(1) Wesley Koolhof/Neal Skupski
VS Kevin Krawietz/Tim Puetz

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Thursday, February 16, 2023 Day 6

(Q) Gregoire Barrere VS (3) Felix Auger-Aliassime
(6) Daniil Medvedev
VS Botic van de Zandschulp
Followed By
Maxime Cressy VS Alex de Minaur
Followed By
Kevin Krawietz/Tim Puetz VS Grigor Dimitrov/Nicolas Mahut
(1) Stefanos Tsitsipas
VS Jannik Sinner
Followed By
(4) Holger Rune
VS (WC) Gijs Brouwer

(Q) Sander Gille/Joran Vliegen VS (PR) Alexander Bublik/Stan Wawrinka

by ti-amie Sinner up 6-4, 4-3 on Stefanos.

by ti-amie

by Suliso That's a nice win for Sinner. Maybe he's progressing again.

by ponchi101 Zero BP's for Tsitsipas.
As you say, a solid win. With the Montpellier victory, and stating the obvious, he is playing well. Let's see if he rides the momentum.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Friday, February 17, 2023 Day 7

QF
(4) Lloyd Glasspool/Harri Heliovaara VS Rohan Bopanna/Matthew Ebden
QF
Grigor Dimitrov VS Alex de Minaur
Followed By
QF
(6) Daniil Medvedev VS (3) Felix Auger-Aliassime
Followed By
QF
Santiago Gonzalez/Edouard Roger-Vasselin VS (3) Ivan Dodig/Austin Krajicek
QF
Jannik Sinner VS (PR) Stan Wawrinka
Followed By
QF
(WC) Gijs Brouwer VS (WC) Tallon Griekspoor

by JazzNU

by JazzNU ^^ FWIW, a lot of fans are calling BS on Rune's injury, that is came out of nowhere and he was very agitated by the crowd. The point at which he retired from the match isn't going to do him any favors with fans' perception.

by ashkor87
ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:57 pm Sinner up 6-4, 4-3 on Stefanos.
Awesome!

by ashkor87 Am surprised Sinner is meeting Tsitsi so early..should be a semi at least..I guess Sinner's ranking is too low...

by meganfernandez The Dimitrov-De Minaur match point was insance. Maybe best match point of the year.

by JazzNU

by JazzNU
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:56 am Am surprised Sinner is meeting Tsitsi so early..should be a semi at least..I guess Sinner's ranking is too low...
Low is relative here. It's about the field, there were five top 10 players in this draw. Sinner would've been the next seeded player.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:03 am ^^ FWIW, a lot of fans are calling BS on Rune's injury, that is came out of nowhere and he was very agitated by the crowd. The point at which he retired from the match isn't going to do him any favors with fans' perception.
I saw the score. This is the sort of things that certainly, as you say, does not make you want to be a fan.
The most recent example of how to do it was very recent. Rafa at the Aussie. There was no way he was going to win that match, yet he played to the last point. He made sure his opponent got the W, not the RET.
I will always remember also how Agassi limped to defeat at his last RG. He played PH Matthieu, and limped to defeat as his sciatica flared. But he showed that the young punk of the 90's had learned to respect the game.
Rune is difficult to digest.

by Deuce Felix - Medvedev was a non-event. Medvedev won easily - Felix was only in it up to 2-2 in the 1st.

Inexplicably, the ATP telecast of the match had the players and score (shown in the bottom left corner of the screen) as 'Auger-Aliassime - DIMITROV' for the entire first game of the match :roll:.
This is the ATP controlled telecast!

by mick1303
ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:08 pm
This goes to show that ELO has a serious flaw when applying it to tennis. On the surface Sinner lost and then won and they are 1-1 this year. But in reality the weight of the slam encounter dwarfs the regular tour match.

by Deuce Indeed, Sinner is playing this draw 'backwards'...
Tsitsipas... then Wawrinka... then the winner of Griekspoor and Brouwer.

He's making short work of Wawrinka now...

Good to see you, Mick. I hope things are as well as they can be where you are.

by ti-amie Saturday, February 18, 2023 Day 8

Centre Court Starts At 10:30 Am

Wheelchair Event

1:00 Pm
SF
Kevin Krawietz/Tim Puetz VS Rohan Bopanna/Matthew Ebden
Not Before 3:00 Pm
SF
(6) Daniil Medvedev VS Grigor Dimitrov
SF
Jannik Sinner VS (WC) Tallon Griekspoor
Followed By
SF
(3) Ivan Dodig/Austin Krajicek VS (Q) Sander Gille/Joran Vliegen

by ashkor87 So a finals between Sinner and Med then?

by ponchi101 Possibly. But I think Griekspoor may have a bit more to say than we expect.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:17 pm Possibly. But I think Griekspoor may have a bit more to say than we expect.
Griekspoor played a great match. I haven't watched him more than a few times, but this was a step above what I've seen from him in the past. We'll have to see if he can summon the same performances against top players when he's not in the Netherlands, but seems like there's reason to be hopeful about him.

by ashkor87 I have seen him in Pune, hardly the Sinner class

by Sinner Fan The Jannik and Daniil match will be very good match. Jannik has to get on fast start and play his backhand strengths. Jannik has consistent first serve but not very explosive first serve. He must play strong baseline game.

by ponchi101 I say he has more power than Daniil, except on the serve. I don't know if he has more speed.
H2H is 4-0 Daniil. Not a good omen.

by ti-amie Sunday, February 19, 2023 Day 9

Centre Court Starts At 1:00 Pm

F
Rohan Bopanna/Matthew Ebden VS (3) Ivan Dodig/Austin Krajicek
Not Before 3:30 Pm
F
Jannik Sinner VS (6) Daniil Medvedev

Court 2 Starts At 11:30 Am / Wheelchair Event

F
(1) Alfie Hewett VS Martin De La Puente

by skatingfan
Sinner Fan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:12 am The Jannik and Daniil match will be very good match. Jannik has to get on fast start and play his backhand strengths. Jannik has consistent first serve but not very explosive first serve. He must play strong baseline game.
Against Medvedev it will be his ability to move forward, take the ball out of the air, and keep Medvedev out of the middle of the court that will determine who wins the match. If Sinner is too content to rally from the baseline it will be advantage Medvedev.

by Suliso Medvedev is a favorite for sure, but then again Daniil has been moving backwards recently and Jannik forwards. How much forwards will be more obvious after this match.

by Sinner Fan
skatingfan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:54 am
Sinner Fan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:12 am The Jannik and Daniil match will be very good match. Jannik has to get on fast start and play his backhand strengths. Jannik has consistent first serve but not very explosive first serve. He must play strong baseline game.
Against Medvedev it will be his ability to move forward, take the ball out of the air, and keep Medvedev out of the middle of the court that will determine who wins the match. If Sinner is too content to rally from the baseline it will be advantage Medvedev.
I still think Jannik strength lie at his baseline game. I do understand taking Medvedev out of middle of court will be to his advantage too. Daniil also is very strong mental player so Jannik getting on top is important.

by Sinner Fan
Suliso wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:26 am Medvedev is a favorite for sure, but then again Daniil has been moving backwards recently and Jannik forwards. How much forwards will be more obvious after this match.
I think Daniil is favourite and can play well on any surface it seem. Jannik need to get early break and get up in match and start well.

by ponchi101 Daniil plays well on any surface? Uhm.... I say he is suspect on clay, and he has one small grass court title. His best is on hard or indoors. So here, he is in his mettle.

by Sinner Fan
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:18 pm Daniil plays well on any surface? Uhm.... I say he is suspect on clay, and he has one small grass court title. His best is on hard or indoors. So here, he is in his mettle.
I agree that clay is hard surface for Daniil but not to point where his talent make it awful for him. I do not know why he do not win on grass more. Hard court is his best for sure and he is showing now.

Jannik did get first set which I thought was big for him but Daniil is such a strong mental player and has battle back.

by Sinner Fan Not good day for Italians for sure. Jannik loses final to Daniil in 3 set 7-5, 2-6, 2-6. He still a class act and will be back.

by ponchi101 Odd how the last two sets were lopsided.

by Sinner Fan
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:27 pm Odd how the last two sets were lopsided.
Jannik seem to play same game as first set. It just seem that Daniil figured out game plan and took over and won the points he needed. Jannik stuck it out and played well but did not win the big points he needed.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:27 pm Odd how the last two sets were lopsided.
From what I saw Medvedev took the advantage earlier in the point in 2nd, and 3rd sets, and Sinner got a bit more conservative. Medvedev doesn't really move forward unless forced, but he started to take the ball up the line, particularly on the backhand and it started to make a difference getting Sinner out of position.

by JTContinental Per the ATP website, Medvedev “overhauled” Sinner today, which seems like very weird word choice

by Sinner Fan
JTContinental wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:49 pm Per the ATP website, Medvedev “overhauled” Sinner today, which seems like very weird word choice
If the word means what I think it means to overtake him. That is exactly what I saw happen and what I really said. It was not because Jannik began to play poorly. It was because Daniil began to figure out what he had to do to "overtake" and win those points in the 2nd and 3rd set that he was not winning in 1st set. He did just that and won the match. No fault to what Jannik was doing and Jannik even said he gave it his all in every set in post game speech.

by ponchi101 "Overhaul", in this context, would be more along the lines of "fixed him" or "changed him in ways that make him better". That's why it is a strange way of describing it.

by JTContinental To me “overhaul” implies he took Sinner apart, fixed him, and put him back together again.

by Sinner Fan Than no he did not do that. I did not understand meaning well.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 Overwhelmed is probably the word he is looking for
Great to see Medvedev back, though..one of the few who can challenge the great Djoko

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:44 am Overwhelmed is probably the word he is looking for
Great to see Medvedev back, though..one of the few who can challenge the great Djoko
He had that hernia operation last year and, I don't want to compare myself to athletes of such caliber, but even if it was done via laparoscopy, they take time to recover.
Let's see if he becomes a factor again.