'23 AO Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '23 AO Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

His game has many, many incredible things. The return you mention, the movement is as smooth as anybody's, the FH is the one you want to teach to any young player. Nobody denies his fantastic game.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I was referring to the posts, probably in a different thread, about how the game would be more exciting in the future because the outcome would not be as predictable.

I like watching incredible tennis and prefer it to competitiveness at a lower level, although I totally understand the other viewpoint. It's also true I rarely watched the early rounds of the Big Three over the past eight years or so because it was a foregone conclusion they would win. That part will be better once Djokovic is gone.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

One other thought. Ivanisevic has done a terrific job as Djokovic's coach. His serve in particular has gotten better.

Of all the ex-players, Goran would have been near the bottom of the list of guys I thought could turn out to be good coaches after they retired.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:51 pm One other thought. Ivanisevic has done a terrific job as Djokovic's coach. His serve in particular has gotten better.

Of all the ex-players, Goran would have been near the bottom of the list of guys I thought could turn out to be good coaches after they retired.
Agree. I would have thought that Goran would have NOT been able to teach anybody how to serve, because he was such a natural. I wondered if he ever thought about his serve.
Turns out (as frequently) I was wrong. Novak has improved in speed, accuracy and patterns. He has achieved total control of the service box. As you say, he has done a very good job.
And I would have never picked him as a coach.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Funny thing is now people (see tennis.com for instance) are looking forward to a showdown in Paris with Nadal ..they seem to have forgotten a certain Alcaraz....
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And Ruud (he is good on clay). It is also Stefanos favorite surface.
And I want to see Rafa on clay before we can assume he will return to that final.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 pm Funny thing is now people (see tennis.com for instance) are looking forward to a showdown in Paris with Nadal ..they seem to have forgotten a certain Alcaraz....
No they haven't. Until there's a retirement leaving only one of them, they will always promote that as the showdown they are looking forward to. If Nadal was injured and Roger was still playing, they'd say they were looking forward to the showdown between Novak and Roger in Paris.

Alcaraz is prepping for the clay court season, they are looking forward to his return and have said as much. But that shouldn't be confused with tennis marketing being thrilled to promote and everything related to the Big 3.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:48 pm Funny thing is now people (see tennis.com for instance) are looking forward to a showdown in Paris with Nadal ..they seem to have forgotten a certain Alcaraz....
No they haven't. Until there's a retirement leaving only one of them, they will always promote that as the showdown they are looking forward to. If Nadal was injured and Roger was still playing, they'd say they were looking forward to the showdown between Novak and Roger in Paris.

Alcaraz is prepping for the clay court season, they are looking forward to his return and have said as much. But that shouldn't be confused with tennis marketing being thrilled to promote and everything related to the Big 3.
Maybe Alcaraz IS the third member of the Big 3 now! Though it is a bit early, I agree...
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I have a feeling Nadal has faded already. To be confirmed of course when the clay season starts.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:07 am I have a feeling Nadal has faded already. To be confirmed of course when the clay season starts.

Sad but true. I'm telling myself that it's because he's been injured.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:59 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:07 am I have a feeling Nadal has faded already. To be confirmed of course when the clay season starts.
Sad but true. I'm telling myself that it's because he's been injured.
Yes - but he's injured because of wear and tear and age.
And those elements are only going to continue going in the current direction.

Apparently, it happens to everyone. :)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower