WTA 500 Charleston 4/3 - 4/9 2023

To talk about both tours
nelslus United States of America

Re: WTA 500 Charleston 4/3 - 4/9 2023

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:39 pm A good win. Pera's best surface is clay.

It's just very nice to see her win any matches. (See: Thiem, Dominic, even if he had to beat Ben).
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:20 pm Bencic lost the first set 4-6 to Shelby Rogers after being up 4-1.
....I should have waited to like this post. Watch Shelby go up 5-3 with match points in the second set, and then lose. :cry:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

About Kasatkina. I didn't pick her for my TSiP team because she has been playing terrible tennis of late. But indeed, if she makes me "regret" my choice and goes on a romp for the clay season, I will regret it with joy.
I hope she steps it up.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Day 7 Order of Play

Credit One Stadium

Starts at 11:00 AM

Quarterfinal
GER L. SIEGEMUND/RUS V. ZVONAREVA vs USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/USA A. PARKS (4)
UPCOMING
Quarterfinal
RUS A. KALINSKAYA vs TUN O. JABEUR (2)
NOT BEFORE 2:30 PM
Quarterfinal
M. Linette (8) or USA M. Keys (9) vs RUS D. KASATKINA (3)
FOLLOWED BY
Quarterfinal
B. Bencic (4) vs RUS E. ALEXANDROVA (7)
UPCOMING
Quarterfinal
USA J. PEGULA (1) vs ESP P. BADOSA (12)
UPCOMING
Semifinal
MEX G. OLMOS/JPN E. SHIBAHARA (1) vs USA C. DOLEHIDE/AUS S. HUNTER (3)

Althea Gibson

Starts at 03:00 PM
Semifinal
TBD vs TBD
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:43 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:08 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:32 pm ...

In western allopathic medicine, that is...we do have cures in Indian traditional Ayurved and yoga..but the world wants pills and shots, not holistic approaches..sigh
Western, evidence-based medicine. The one where double blind testing is done, to ensure that proper analysis is achieved and where anecdotal stories are not used as data.
The one that has allowed Japan (84.62), Singapore (83.74) and S. Korea (83.43), the three Asian countries that have adopted this model, to become the #1, #3 and #4 countries with the longest life expectancies in the world (Italy, another practitioner of Western medicine, is 2nd) while China has climbed to #45 (78.08) as it continues to also shift to this medicine but has a considerable tradition of holistic practices, and India is at #129 with an average of 70.15 years-life-expectancy, more than a decade below the other Asian countries and less than any S. American country except Bolivia.
There is a lot of research into non-Western medicine that has shown there are some treatments that have a proven benefit and some don't, it's not fair to dismiss it altogether (not to uphold altogether, to be fair)

There are also much bigger issues in the Indian healthcare system than interest in Ayurveda. In fact, traditional medicine is probably plugging a hole caused by those issues with at least some minor benefits.
Autoimmune disorders are basically the body's immune system gone haywire..attacking your own body instead of the foreign body. The natural intelligence of the body has somehow gotten clouded..yoga, ayurved etc work to restore the body's natural intelligence..which is why they can help with autoimmune disorders...in a way that western medicine cannot because the approach is different. I am not saying ayurved is better for everything, sometimes even I take antibiotics but for some conditions where the key is to restore the body's natural intelligence...btw the body is incredibly intelligent, don't underestimate it,!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Badosa vs Pegula next..I will be very surprised if Badosa wins, given my belief that Pegula defines the threshold for a tier 1 player, which Badosa is not, for sure. Let us see - how that theory holds up...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Pegula did today what Petra did last week - she decided she wasn't going to lose, at least today. Like I said she just a bit of everything very well and unless you're sitting and watching her play you might think that she's playing above her level. Witt has got her believing that her approach will win her matches and ranking points.

Then again she was playing Begu who can get to the point she was today - 4-0 up in the third set, and wonder what she's supposed to do now.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:18 am Badosa vs Pegula next..I will be very surprised if Badosa wins, given my belief that Pegula defines the threshold for a tier 1 player, which Badosa is not, for sure. Let us see - how that theory holds up...
Badosa needs the win more than Pegula, and, as JazzNu pointed out, Jess seems to be a bit off.
Might be close.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I agree Pegula could have skipped Charleston ..she doesn't need the points..and there are too many, strenuous clay events coming up...Stuttgart, Madrid, Rome ..RG
I suspect she has a sentimental fondness for Charleston, may have played here in her early days? Or for HarTru...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Kasatkina's shirt, by the way, is called 'claymouflage' (camouflage with a red clay pattern).
This is the latest genius offering from adidas.

Pegula's last few matches have been quite bizarre in the way they've played out - very unusual patterns.
The cynic in me is wondering if this has any relation to the huge increase in sports gambling lately.

Even if not, there will come a time when gambling directly influences the patterns and outcomes of matches/games in every sport. Not all matches/games, of course, but a significant number. Of course, it will be more difficult for them to control team sports, because there are many players who have an influence on the games, whereas in tennis, only one or two players have control over the match.
But, because sports gambling has become legal now, and because even legal gambling is controlled by organized crime, more and more players in all sports will be 'bought' and/or threatened into influencing matches/games. Just watch.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Gambling (in other countries) has been available for a long time. I don't think the US will impact the game that much in that regard.

The TIU has been around (and suspending / banning players) since 2008
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:19 am Kasatkina's shirt, by the way, is called 'claymouflage' (camouflage with a red clay pattern).
This is the latest genius offering from adidas.

Pegula's last few matches have been quite bizarre in the way they've played out - very unusual patterns.
The cynic in me is wondering if this has any relation to the huge increase in sports gambling lately.

Even if not, there will come a time when gambling directly influences the patterns and outcomes of matches/games in every sport. Not all matches/games, of course, but a significant number. Of course, it will be more difficult for them to control team sports, because there are many players who have an influence on the games, whereas in tennis, only one or two players have control over the match.
But, because sports gambling has become legal now, and because even legal gambling is controlled by organized crime, more and more players in all sports will be 'bought' and/or threatened into influencing matches/games. Just watch.
I think getting a whiff of what the odds are that you win or lose a match could influence your play, mentally, as well.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wouldn't that cut both ways?
"Oh, the odds say that I have a 65% chance of winning this match. Yeah, let's go!"
"Oh, the odds say that I have 35% chance of winning this match. Hell, no! I will teach them!"

Any given player could see it either way, as both ways could be inspiring.
And, I do not know anything about gambling. But I do know this: the gambling sites are the first ones that do NOT want to fix matches, because that is not how they make money. They make money when people are split down a 50% line. That is the reason they post spreads and odds. So half the people will bet one way, half the other. That is where the money is.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

You're right about gambling sites, but you as an individual could make a lot of money if you knew for certain that say Kasatkina will lose the first two games of the second set the next time she plays. In some alternate universe "shady ponchi" could try to arrange that.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And as Fastbackss said above, that is what the TIU has been controlling since 2008. Remember, for example, that Kafelnikov was involved in allegations of match fixing, which were then never proven. And Fastbackss points out well that players have been suspended because of unusual patterns, later proven to have been match fixing.
We also have to remember the most famous tennis bet ever: Riggs betting, illegally and in secrecy, that he would win Wimby in all three categories. Betting has been going on forever; it is almost a human universal. These sites actually make it "better", as it is more controlled.
And don't get me wrong: I understand that gambling can be a very bad habit to pick; who knows how many people have gone into deep trouble because of it. But, to me, prohibitions have never worked.

Also: "shady ponchi" would be so bankrupt. But I do like the ring of it ;)