by ponchi101 If your are NEW, but old, introduce yourself here. (You know what I mean).
And if you are NEW, NEW, the same.
You are all welcome. ;)

by MJ2004 Here. Had to re-size my avatar way down. Posting to see if it's fuzzy.

by ponchi101 Avatar looking good! Glad to have "Mafalda" here! :)

by ponchi101 And because there is no need to even hide this:
Ti, I have changed your user profile to GLOBAL MODERATOR. I mean, you already started posting and I know you need all permissions for the quality of work you do. So, as I am going the other way around:
If you do not want to be a MOD, let me know, and I will "degrade" ;) you. But I really want you to be one of the mods. Your work at TAT1.0 is basically priceless... :)
Let me know.

by the Moz hello all :)

by patrick patrick has arrived. When I enter PeterSkan contest, their board has a similiar look to me.

by Woody What's the trick with avatars? It says max 90x90, I tried mine as a 60x74 gif and it complains, saying it's 0 by 0 pixels...?

by ponchi101 Hey Woody. I know, it has a few odd things. I tried one of my photos, but the limit for avatars if also 6KiB. Mine was at 22 KiB so it did not go through.
Please try again with some other avatar, let me know so I can look into that, and then we can try your usual one.

by Woody Weird, I made it square then it worked.

by Oploskoffie Wel hello new world... So glad to see TAT 2.0 :D

by led14pa2 Thanks for taking time to create this, Ponchi. I had joined the original TAT way back in 2007 and was sad to it go. This new site is great!

by ponchi101
led14pa2 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:32 am Thanks for taking time to create this, Ponchi. I had joined the original TAT way back in 2007 and was sad to it go. This new site is great!
:tatrocks:

by lukeorion Thanks for doing this Ponchi. Glad to make the move over.

by mmmm8 Late but here!

by Liamvalid I’ve been kind of hovering since I joined, due to Crimbo, no tennis, and still having TAT1 as my home page! Will be here a lot more from the 8th

by ponchi101
Liamvalid wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:15 pm I’ve been kind of hovering since I joined, due to Crimbo, no tennis, and still having TAT1 as my home page! Will be here a lot more from the 8th
We are taking away one medal to the people that do not come here starting the 1st. Too bad for your loot ;)
(We are still hovering. It is truly like moving: you go back to get stuff you forgot)

by Fastbackss Happy to be here - and happy to have the same screenname.

Ironically the appearance of this forum is identical to many when I started using forums. I just used them on a computer and not with my phone! That part wil take getting used to...

by JazzNU I'm here. Sorry for the delay, a lot of nonsense to end 2020 along with customary holiday rush.

Same name. No avatar, didn't have one on original TAT. Might add one soon if I see something I like.

by atlpam So happy to still have this community and especially happy that I'm no longer being blocked from the new site by my company's network.

by bestjax Happy to have made it over here. Same name. Will look for an avatar.

by Herodotus Hello all. Old member, just catching up to the new site. Been a while since my heyday, but looking forward to trying out a few contests again.

by ptmcmahon Welcome "back" :)

by ponchi101 Glad to have you back, Herodutus. A man of such extensive knowledge is always welcomed ;)

by the Moz Hello hello Herodotus :)

by mmmm8 Good to see you, Herodotus!

by jojordan Hello fellow tennis nuts! Glad to be back in the swing after discovering TAT1 is no longer.

by ptmcmahon Welcome "back" :)

by jkfinaz Hello! Registering here after skipping several years of suicide pools. I wish I could remember my old username because I won a suicide pool on the old site :(

by ponchi101 Welcome back, jkfinaz. We are going by an honor system and the new sight so if you go to the topic GETTING OUR MEDALS back and tell us what SP you won, we believe you. We will load it back to your profile. :thumbsup:

by Rashmi Hello, I love the Suicide pool. Thank you for continuing TAT and TAT2

by Cainim's Back Hand Hi. Cainim here. Tennis fan since Michael Chang won the French Open when he and I were both teenagers.

Played on the old site off and on for years and am happy to be back.

Favorite current players, Roger and Simona (a bit cliched I know but it's true) all time? Agassi and Graf, though I'm a fan of many many more.

by jatagen Hello! I'm a long-time major fan of professional tennis, both men's and women's with perhaps a slight preference for women's tennis. The surge of terrific young players on both tours is making the sport even more enjoyable. I've recently started playing again after a 15-year break. I think it is amazing to find such joy doing something I totally suck at.

by bluereggie Hello been a big fan of both sites after finding the suicide pools. Big Jimmy Connors and Boris Becker fan growing up.

by udaneri Hello to everyone !!!! Glad to be part again and .. BUENA SUERTE PARA TODOS !!!

by Tolulops Hi everyone. Glad to be here. I'm an OLD member/lurker from SP and contests on TAT 1. Thanks for moving us over, and I hope I can be more active on the new TAT.

by ron@tennisreporters Hi! Great to be back in the pool - Ron of TennisReporters.net

by Tigress I once went Red by picking Goffin when he ran into the tarp while leading and wrecked his leg. Let's see If I can find an even more improbable way to lose this time.

by NewBallsPlease Hi! Joining because a Twitter friend (JCR) posted about suicide pools and I wanted to join in on the fun. I'm a Canadian tennis fan that love grass court tennis and loves to travel to tournaments.

by Improbabledream Hi. How's everyone doing?

by Creamcheese Creamcheese returning from a couple of years ago

by wadetj
ponchi101 wrote:If your are NEW, but old, introduce yourself here. (You know what I mean).
And if you are NEW, NEW, the same.
You are all welcome. ;)
Hello everyone, I’m Tim from North Carolina, I love tennis- playing and watching- looking forward to meeting everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by the Moz Hello wadetj :)

by jkfinaz
ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:39 pm Welcome back, jkfinaz. We are going by an honor system and the new sight so if you go to the topic GETTING OUR MEDALS back and tell us what SP you won, we believe you. We will load it back to your profile. :thumbsup:
Aww, thanks. Unfortunately, I cannot recall which one I won. I did, however, remember my older username which was Scienter. I'll just try hard to win another and get that medal :)

by mmmm8 So good to see some old and new names! Welcome!

by pinckleman Hi all I am glad to be back as a recurring member

by dave g I really appreciate people dropping by this thread and saying "Hello". I hope we see more of your posts as time goes by.

by what_the_deuce Canadian tennis fan who loves the Davis CUp.

by Mayorghouliani Hello, I was on the old talk about tennis forum and I was also on Tennis.com for many years as yello fuzzy.
I play tennis at least 3 times a week.

by ponchi101 I remember your name. I always thought it was a good choice.
Welcome back :thumbsup:

by Irena2 Hi, been gone for a while but hoping to enjoy more great tennis talk again! I am after hubby motobass to return, too!

by ponchi101 Please, make him. We need all the old friends we can get ;)

by Cuckoo4Coco Hey, this is pretty random I guess. I am the new person here. I was also told by ponchi101 that I am the first minor of this group of tennis enthusiasts. I am 16 years old. I have been learning and playing the game of tennis since I was 5 years old and I play for my school team and I am currently going into my 11th year in the Fall. My dream is to get into a good Division 1 college so I can get a good education and play tennis while I am doing that.

My name is Marabella, but everyone calls me Belly so I will go by that on here as well. I really don't know much about the classic tennis players other than what I have watched on video, but I love hearing stories about them. My favorite players are Coco Gauff and Frances Tiafoe and my favorite tournament is the US Open. I have been to that tournament once in my life and I hope to go back soon.

Thanx for having me, Belly

by Deuce
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm Hey, this is pretty random I guess. I am the new person here. I was also told by ponchi101 that I am the first minor of this group of tennis enthusiasts. I am 16 years old. I have been learning and playing the game of tennis since I was 5 years old and I play for my school team and I am currently going into my 11th year in the Fall. My dream is to get into a good Division 1 college so I can get a good education and play tennis while I am doing that.

My name is Marabella, but everyone calls me Belly so I will go by that on here as well. I really don't know much about the classic tennis players other than what I have watched on video, but I love hearing stories about them. My favorite players are Coco Gauff and Frances Tiafoe and my favorite tournament is the US Open. I have been to that tournament once in my life and I hope to go back soon.

Oh, great - right as I post the article above about the interestingly positioned wasp's nest, a MINOR comes along!

Seriously, though - welcome, Belly.
I hope you enjoy yourself here and continue to learn about the history of the game. And you'll surely teach us a few things, as well.

All the best for your own tennis, as well - just remember that if you one day enter the top 200 or so in the rankings, you'll have to give all of us here 38% of your earnings (including endorsements), because we will obviously be significantly responsible for your success.
:lol:

by Cuckoo4Coco
Deuce wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:16 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm Hey, this is pretty random I guess. I am the new person here. I was also told by ponchi101 that I am the first minor of this group of tennis enthusiasts. I am 16 years old. I have been learning and playing the game of tennis since I was 5 years old and I play for my school team and I am currently going into my 11th year in the Fall. My dream is to get into a good Division 1 college so I can get a good education and play tennis while I am doing that.

Oh, great - right as I post the article above about the interestingly positioned wasp's nest, a MINOR comes along!

Seriously, though - welcome, Belly.
I hope you enjoy yourself here and continue to learn about the history of the game. And you'll surely teach us a few things, as well.

All the best for your own tennis, as well - just remember that if you one day enter the top 200 or so in the rankings, you'll have to give all of us here 38% of your earnings (including endorsements), because we will obviously be significantly responsible for your success.
:lol:
Hey, please don't hold back on whatever you decide to post on the count of me. If I glance at the title I will just let it go by. My mom is pretty lax on most things with me because she knows I have a decent head on my shoulders. She taught me well as did my dad until his untimely passing while on the job as a Police Officer. I live everyday to make him proud. I hope I am doing a decent enough job of it.

Oh God, I just hope to get a free or discounted education out of tennis. :D Seriously, if I would play a player such as Coco I wouldn't score a single point off of her. I think she would probably knock the racquet out of my hand with her return. I would still want to play tennis with her though. ;) I just try and take in everything I possibly can while I am on the court or reading about tennis, or watching it. Most of all and I learned this from my grandpa, I go out there and have fun.

by ponchi101 Hi Cuckoo:
(I will call you that because I simply think it is a great nick ;) )
I moved your post here, as we do have a welcome topic, as you can see. You simply joined us at the "wrong" time, in the sense that this welcome topic, for which we always leave a link in our banner, was not there as we are promoting our Wimbledon games.
About you playing Coco:
You would be surprised of how well you could hit with her. About 5 years ago, at the place I used to play, this 23 young dude needed some warming up because he was playing in the Bogota open (it was held at the time), and had been granted a WC. That day, there was nobody else there, so he had to settle for me. We trained for a while and then he needed to play a real set, to train his real serve. Of course he beat me, but he beat me 6-1 (I actually BROKE his serve, but of course could never hold mine). He then played his matches and lost in the first round, 6-1, 6-1.
What I remember the most was how much better my strokes were as I played with him, because he fed me such a pure ball. Of course, heavy and with lots of pace, but I could use his excellent strokes to help with mine.
So, at 16, I would say you more than could have a decent session with Coco. You would score a few points. Sure, a 6-0 could be lurking there, but at 16, give yourself a few more years and I would put down a few dollars that you could make it a match.
And: you are going to college, Div 1. Remember that the list of players coming out of the US College system and having successful careers at the tour level is not trivial: McEnroe, Mayotte, Annacone, Anderson, Isner, Collins (there is a great example). Your tennis ceiling is years away :thumbsup:

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:10 pm Hi Cuckoo:
(I will call you that because I simply think it is a great nick ;) )
I moved your post here, as we do have a welcome topic, as you can see. You simply joined us at the "wrong" time, in the sense that this welcome topic, for which we always leave a link in our banner, was not there as we are promoting our Wimbledon games.
About you playing Coco:
You would be surprised of how well you could hit with her. About 5 years ago, at the place I used to play, this 23 young dude needed some warming up because he was playing in the Bogota open (it was held at the time), and had been granted a WC. That day, there was nobody else there, so he had to settle for me. We trained for a while and then he needed to play a real set, to train his real serve. Of course he beat me, but he beat me 6-1 (I actually BROKE his serve, but of course could never hold mine). He then played his matches and lost in the first round, 6-1, 6-1.
What I remember the most was how much better my strokes were as I played with him, because he fed me such a pure ball. Of course, heavy and with lots of pace, but I could use his excellent strokes to help with mine.
So, at 16, I would say you more than could have a decent session with Coco. You would score a few points. Sure, a 6-0 could be lurking there, but at 16, give yourself a few more years and I would put down a few dollars that you could make it a match.
And: you are going to college, Div 1. Remember that the list of players coming out of the US College system and having successful careers at the tour level is not trivial: McEnroe, Mayotte, Annacone, Anderson, Isner, Collins (there is a great example). Your tennis ceiling is years away :thumbsup:
Thank You, yep I saw that it was moved here. I didn't see this thread when I made the post originally.

Wow, that experience you had is so awesome. I would die to have an experience like that with Coco or really any pro player like that. The thought of playing Division 1 tennis in a few years if that happens and possibly having a match against a player that could be gearing up to go on the tour would also be amazing. I would use whatever time I had on the court with any professional player to pick their brain and learn anything I could. I wouldn't care if I lost 6-0, 6-0 and in like 30 minutes. That would be the best 30 minutes I had spent in my life. :lol:

You are correct though about playing better against those opponents that have better pace and a heavy ball on them. It does make your strokes much better. I look at someone like Coco or even Emma or Leylah when they were my age and they had a lot of ups and downs in their game at that time. Emma & Leylah are now 19 and Coco is 18 so they are definitely not veterans of the tour, but they all seem to be more settled in with their play already. All 3 of them are going to be at the top of women's tennis for a long time.

by ptmcmahon
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm My favorite players are Coco Gauff and Frances Tiafoe and my favorite tournament is the US Open.
I was worried the name might have been for Vandewedge :)

by Cuckoo4Coco
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:36 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm My favorite players are Coco Gauff and Frances Tiafoe and my favorite tournament is the US Open.
I was worried the name might have been for Vandewedge :)
Nope a big time Coco Gauff fan. :)

by Canucklehead I have posted a few times in the regular section, and I saw this in thread in the header at the top of the page that said to Welcome myself here.

My name is Viktoria(Tori) and I am 27 years old. I am obviously a fan of tennis and also enjoy playing the game for fun and exercise. I also enjoy anything related to fitness, fashion, shopping, & nature. I live in the Toronto area in Canada and work as a Physiotherapist at a clinic. So while watching the tennis matches, I also watch during the medical timeouts closely to see what is going on. My current male & female favourite tennis players are: Felix Auger Aliassime & Leyah Fernandez. My favourite retired male & female tennis players are Daniel Nestor & Aleksandra Wozniak.

by ponchi101 Daniel Nestor. Say no more: you like doubles! :clap:
You have already posted several times, but welcome aboard. Notice there is a PM system so, if you have any questions, either in the open or as a PM you can let us know.

by Canucklehead
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:07 pm Daniel Nestor. Say no more: you like doubles! :clap:
You have already posted several times, but welcome aboard. Notice there is a PM system so, if you have any questions, either in the open or as a PM you can let us know.
I have settled in with my country's tournament, an adult beverage and dinner. Nothing better than tennis, food, an adult beverage and some good tennis talk.

Edit: In my humble opinion, Daniel Nestor is the best doubles player ever.

by ptmcmahon Just like the tours CAnada is slowly taking over TAT … welcome!

by Canucklehead
ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:19 am Just like the tours CAnada is slowly taking over TAT … welcome!
With the likes of Felix Auger Aliassime & Denis Shapovalov on the men's side, and Leylah Fernandez & Bianca Andreescu on the women's side, Canada has some good presence on the tour. I just hope I can make us Canadians look good here. :)

by ponchi101
Canucklehead wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:45 am
ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:19 am Just like the tours CAnada is slowly taking over TAT … welcome!
With the likes of Felix Auger Aliassime & Denis Shapovalov on the men's side, and Leylah Fernandez & Bianca Andreescu on the women's side, Canada has some good presence on the tour. I just hope I can make us Canadians look good here. :)
JA!!!!!!
I mean, sure, you guys are all very nice and polite and ...
(man, I can't press SUBMIT that quickly, I just can't :cry: )

by Fastbackss
Canucklehead wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:07 pm . Nothing better than tennis, food, an adult beverage and some good tennis talk.
True - and that's why I was bummed I had to leave my "beer league" tennis group last night immediately as my match ended ...

by meganfernandez
And Dabrowski in doubles. Wish Shapo could get his act together.

by Canucklehead
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:23 pm
And Dabrowski in doubles. Wish Shapo could get his act together.
Gabriela is currently #4 in doubles I believe. Shapovalov has a lot of potential and I can see him consistently being in the top 10.

by AcesAnnie Hello tennis enthusiasts, my name is Ann and actually I am an avid runner and more just a huge admirer of tennis than someone who can actually play the game well. I do however love going on the court from time to time with my husband and hitting around for the exercise and the fun. One thing I love about the game of tennis is that anyone can play it no matter your age. I am 57 years old, and I still do run regularly but with running my body has slowed down considerably over the years and the knees are not the same as they once were when I was in my 20's. So tennis is a great form of exercise for me.

I grew up watching some of the greats of tennis and was very fond of Chris Evert and even John McEnroe. I have watched the game evolve over the years from Evert,Navratilova, Graf, Seles,Serena, Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl,Sampras, Agassi,Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic. I wonder who is next to take over. I love the fact that the Americans really have a great contingency of players on the tour now and my favorites are Shelby Rogers and Tommy Paul.

I suppose I am here to learn more about the game of tennis from more avid fans as I do enjoy the game. So I probably will have quite a bit of questions along the way. I know some history of the game as I have been around for sometime, but actually playing the game , not so much.

by ponchi101 Welcome aboard, Aces. Cool avatar, and maybe you can help too with conditioning. As you say, a true sport for a lifetime.
You basically listed all the great ones in your post, but we are currently heavily debating who will be the next great ones. Also, when the USO comes around, you will see we have some fun games we play, and maybe you will want to join.
Hope you will enjoy the site. :)

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:51 pm Welcome aboard, Aces. Cool avatar, and maybe you can help too with conditioning. As you say, a true sport for a lifetime.
You basically listed all the great ones in your post, but we are currently heavily debating who will be the next great ones. Also, when the USO comes around, you will see we have some fun games we play, and maybe you will want to join.
Hope you will enjoy the site. :)
Thank You, my name is Ann or Annie so feel free to call me that if you want. Aces is fine as well. If you or anyone has questions on running or conditioning feel free to ask. I should be available quite frequently as my job is exclusively from home. I work as a Medical Transcriptionist for my husband who is a Physician.

Games always make things enjoyable. That sounds like fun.

by Tennislady100 I am just saying hello. I am new to this group.

by meganfernandez
Tennislady100 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:35 pm I am just saying hello. I am new to this group.
Everyone, this is my friend, who plays tennis with me. She has a wicked drop shot.

by Tennislady100 Thank you Megan! You have a fantastic forehand!

by AcesAnnie Hello, glad you are here. I am also new here. My name is Ann or Annie.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:51 pm
Tennislady100 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:35 pm I am just saying hello. I am new to this group.
Everyone, this is my friend, who plays tennis with me. She has a wicked drop shot.
Oh, no. That does it. Drop Shotters are not allowed here!
;)
Welcome Tennislady100. Hope you will enjoy the site.

by Tennislady100 Thank you! I am looking forward to the group.

by ashkor87
AcesAnnie wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:39 pm Hello tennis enthusiasts, my name is Ann and actually I am an avid runner and more just a huge admirer of tennis than someone who can actually play the game well. I do however love going on the court from time to time with my husband and hitting around for the exercise and the fun. One thing I love about the game of tennis is that anyone can play it no matter your age. I am 57 years old, and I still do run regularly but with running my body has slowed down considerably over the years and the knees are not the same as they once were when I was in my 20's. So tennis is a great form of exercise for me.

I grew up watching some of the greats of tennis and was very fond of Chris Evert and even John McEnroe. I have watched the game evolve over the years from Evert,Navratilova, Graf, Seles,Serena, Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl,Sampras, Agassi,Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic. I wonder who is next to take over. I love the fact that the Americans really have a great contingency of players on the tour now and my favorites are Shelby Rogers and Tommy Paul.

I suppose I am here to learn more about the game of tennis from more avid fans as I do enjoy the game. So I probably will have quite a bit of questions along the way. I know some history of the game as I have been around for sometime, but actually playing the game , not so much.
Yes, tennis can be played till you drop dead..my father did exactly that..he was 83, played till his last day on earth..

by AcesAnnie
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:41 am
AcesAnnie wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:39 pm Hello tennis enthusiasts, my name is Ann and actually I am an avid runner and more just a huge admirer of tennis than someone who can actually play the game well. I do however love going on the court from time to time with my husband and hitting around for the exercise and the fun. One thing I love about the game of tennis is that anyone can play it no matter your age. I am 57 years old, and I still do run regularly but with running my body has slowed down considerably over the years and the knees are not the same as they once were when I was in my 20's. So tennis is a great form of exercise for me.

Yes, tennis can be played till you drop dead..my father did exactly that..he was 83, played till his last day on earth..
Don't love the fact that your dad died, but do love the fact that he got to play a game he enjoyed for the majority of his life. He also seemed to have passed down the love of the game to the other generations in his family(you), which is something that you will never forget about him.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:41 am

So sorry to hear about your father, but how great that he was active for so long. A real blessing. He must have taken good care of himself.

by ponchi101 Years ago I found an article that said that tennis players had a higher life expectancy than average. I did find an article about that.
it is not only a sport for a lifetime, it is a sport that can help you extend your lifetime.

by dryrunguy
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:38 pm Years ago I found an article that said that tennis players had a higher life expectancy than average. I did find an article about that.
it is not only a sport for a lifetime, it is a sport that can help you extend your lifetime.
Until you get hooked on TAT suicide pools, which are directly related to high blood pressure, stroke, numerous psychiatric conditions, and a host of other negative health outcomes.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:38 pm Years ago I found an article that said that tennis players had a higher life expectancy than average. I did find an article about that.
Probably more correlation than causation.
dryrunguy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:43 pm Until you get hooked on TAT suicide pools, which are directly related to high blood pressure, stroke, numerous psychiatric conditions, and a host of other negative health outcomes.
The Bandwagon Life Expectancy Index

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:20 pm ...

The Bandwagon Life Expectancy Index
NO!. Now I am going to try to figure that one out ;)

by LilMissBubbles {color=#FFFFFF].[/color}

by ptmcmahon Welcome Katelyn/LilMissBubbles ! Fortunately tennis skill is not required here or a would have been kicked out
Long ago (although I am undefeated against my ten year old still the 2-3 times we play a year.)

by ptmcmahon Sure enough, the last shot he took last time he played went over the fence as well!

by Sinner Fan Hello my name is Kate and I am 29 years of age going to be turning 30 on March 3rd. I am from Italy and English is not my first language. So please stick with me if I do not make sense some time. I am big tennis fan and Jannik Sinner is my favourite player. I am single mama of 2 year old daughter and work in hotel as housekeeper. I like to talk to others who like tennis like myself.

by ponchi101
Sinner Fan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:34 pm Hello my name is Kate and I am 29 years of age going to be turning 30 on March 3rd. I am from Italy and English is not my first language. So please stick with me if I do not make sense some time. I am big tennis fan and Jannik Sinner is my favourite player. I am single mama of 2 year old daughter and work in hotel as housekeeper. I like to talk to others who like tennis like myself.
Hello Sinner fan. Glad that you have found us, and that you are a member now.
Don't worry about not making sense some time; it happens to A LOT of us ;)
You will be busy tomorrow with Sinner in that final; wish you (and him) luck :thumbsup:

by Sinner Fan
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:38 pm
Sinner Fan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:34 pm Hello my name is Kate and I am 29 years of age going to be turning 30 on March 3rd. I am from Italy and English is not my first language. So please stick with me if I do not make sense some time. I am big tennis fan and Jannik Sinner is my favourite player. I am single mama of 2 year old daughter and work in hotel as housekeeper. I like to talk to others who like tennis like myself.
Hello Sinner fan. Glad that you have found us, and that you are a member now.
Don't worry about not making sense some time; it happens to A LOT of us ;)
You will be busy tomorrow with Sinner in that final; wish you (and him) luck :thumbsup:
Yes I cannot wait for that match. Daniil is a very tough opponent.

by Ainsley Howdy from Texas

I'm Ainsley and I guess I am a slightly above average tennis player. I am in my 12th year of high school and have played all 4 years on the Varsity Girls Tennis Team. During my Junior and Senior years I played #1 Singles and #1 Doubles. I am finished with my tennis career at the school level and already miss it a lot. I recently turned 18 years old on February 22nd and other than tennis I love spending time with my boyfriend and friends, cooking, and painting. I graduate from High School on May 26th, 2023 and I cannot wait. I will be going to Hawaii for my graduation present. I have been accepted to attend a local University to study Business Management next Fall.

As for tennis, I do plan on continuing to play but only on a recreational basis or if my community/club has a charity tennis event. Unfortunately, the university I will be attending does not have a tennis program. I also plan on continually beating my boyfriend at tennis. :) My boyfriend is a baseball player. I also have an older brother who is 2 years older than me and he plays tennis as well.

My style of play consists of an average serve with a solid forehand and two hand backhand that I like to mostly hit from the baseline. I would say my strengths are hitting with consistency and depth/passing shots and causing my opponents to make unforced errors. My weaknesses are when I am forced into the net and have to volley or hit and overhead.

My favorite tour players are Jess Pegula and Taylor Fritz.

by ponchi101 Welcome Ainsley. Hope you will enjoy the forum :thumbsup:

by ptmcmahon
Ainsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:11 am Howdy from Texas

I'm Ainsley and I guess I am a slightly above average tennis player. I am in my 12th year of high school...
Wow high school lasts long in Texas :D

Welcome aboard.

by Ainsley
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:18 am
Ainsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:11 am Howdy from Texas

I'm Ainsley and I guess I am a slightly above average tennis player. I am in my 12th year of high school...
Wow high school lasts long in Texas :D

Welcome aboard.
Hahaha, I guess I said that wrong. :D This is my last year of high school where I spent 4 years here and I am in the 12th Grade(My Senior Year).

by ptmcmahon Hehe, that was my guess but it was too hard not to say something!

by mmmm8 Welcome, Ainsley, and happy recent birthday!! Where in Texas are you? I went to high school in Texas, too!

And a belated welcome to Kate

by Ainsley
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:49 am Welcome, Ainsley, and happy recent birthday!! Where in Texas are you? I went to high school in Texas, too!

Hi, I am from Whitehouse, Texas. Thank You for the birthday wishes & welcome.

by mmmm8
Ainsley wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:53 am
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:49 am Welcome, Ainsley, and happy recent birthday!! Where in Texas are you? I went to high school in Texas, too!

Cool! I used to live in the DFW area!

by Ainsley
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:29 am Hehe, that was my guess but it was too hard not to say something!
:lol: Yep, sometimes when I write I don't think.

by Ainsley
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:57 am
Ainsley wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:53 am

Cool! I used to live in the DFW area!
Yep, not really that far from the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Less than 2 hours away.

by ashkor87 I guess I am an old old member by now..
I live in Pune, India - my entire family plays tennis-met my wife at a tennis court at UCLA where we were both grad students..our son plays pretty well, but he lives in London..last time we played, he beat me in a golden set!
I have lived 15 years in the US- LA, Iowa City, Dallas, Detroit, Camp Hill, Pa and the Washington DC area, where our son was born...he is a professional musician, his 8th album just came out...
As for me, I have never been formally coached ,..learned the game from illustrations in books, which leads me to say I had the best possible teachers..Gonzales, Gimeno, Rosewall and Sedgeman..
My son did get coached, most recently by Ramesh Krishnan at his tennis academy in Chennai

I am 67 years old, still play 4-5 times a week, couple hours at a time, on a dirt court...

by ponchi101 Dear All.
Starting last year, we have had a few "new members" that we have the suspicion are not human. Starting with Cuckoo4Coco, these members have exhibited a peculiar yet distinct pattern: they join the forum, post constantly and then vanish on a given day.
We can't tell if they are some sort of BOT or some experiment regarding AI. Or even, the most mundane explanation, somebody that likes to join presenting different personalities. They all have been female (or pretend to be), but have ranged in age and locations. So far, they have been benign, not posting links leading to malicious sites, although one of them left some code in her last posts.
So. To the person doing this.
Please, stop. We cannot tell, when you apply for membership, whether you are real or not. Your experiment, at the moment, seems pointless, as if what you wanted was to test if you can pass for a human, you have succeeded. So, if you want to join and talk about tennis, welcome. But if we are your testing ground for something else, let me assure you that we are the worst place for that. We are too small, too specialized and not a representative site for larger targets.
Plus, the gig is getting old.

To all real members. Sorry about this, and if you suspect there is some malicious activity, let us know. We will try to control it.

by Wheels To my fellow tennis fans:

My name is Hannah, I am 21 years old. I enjoy playing tennis and even though I am confined to a wheelchair that doesn't slow me down one bit. I try and play tennis as often as I am able. I have two very rare disorders called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Dysautonomia Syndrome that try to keep me down, but I am a fighter and I do my best against it. I am not content to just sit around and do nothing as I am going to college to earn my degree in kindergarten and preschool education. I also like watching the pros play tennis and my favorite professional ATP player is Sebastian Korda and WTA player is Amanda Anisimova. My favorite Wheelchair players are, Connor Stroud and Maylee Phelps.

by ponchi101 Welcome aboard, Wheels. I hope you will enjoy the forum, and that you will stay for long.

by Wheels
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:49 pm Welcome aboard, Wheels. I hope you will enjoy the forum, and that you will stay for long.
Thanks, I tried another tennis forum for awhile and the chat was fine, but there were these two members that were quite bossy and thought they ran the place which they didn't. I wouldn't have had a problem with them if they were staff, but they were not. So I had enough of the bickering and left and joined here. I hope this is a better experience.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:08 pm Dear All.
Starting last year, we have had a few "new members" that we have the suspicion are not human. Starting with Cuckoo4Coco, these members have exhibited a peculiar yet distinct pattern: they join the forum, post constantly and then vanish on a given day.
We can't tell if they are some sort of BOT or some experiment regarding AI. Or even, the most mundane explanation, somebody that likes to join presenting different personalities. They all have been female (or pretend to be), but have ranged in age and locations. So far, they have been benign, not posting links leading to malicious sites, although one of them left some code in her last posts.
So. To the person doing this.
Please, stop. We cannot tell, when you apply for membership, whether you are real or not. Your experiment, at the moment, seems pointless, as if what you wanted was to test if you can pass for a human, you have succeeded. So, if you want to join and talk about tennis, welcome. But if we are your testing ground for something else, let me assure you that we are the worst place for that. We are too small, too specialized and not a representative site for larger targets.
Plus, the gig is getting old.

To all real members. Sorry about this, and if you suspect there is some malicious activity, let us know. We will try to control it.
Indeed, it is getting old, and is not at all appreciated.
The pattern is the same, and it's basically impossible that these are real tennis fans (or even real people), as a real, living tennis fan would not be posting at an alarmingly frequent rate, and then stop abruptly.
I, for one, will try to remember to not interact at all with any new member until they have proven themselves as legitimate to my satisfaction.

Ponchi - is there a way that you could create some sort of screening process, whereby you would have to interact with them via E mail or something until they prove that they actually exist as a living, breathing human being?

by ponchi101 I am working on using a RECAPTCHA system, because the security question is not working for this sort of spam.
Will post you all.

by ptmcmahon
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:08 pm Dear All.
If Ainsley is a bot, well done, she seemed to respond to my joke about high school pretty well.

But, I can't lie when I read the posts I thought Cuckoo4Coco was back at first!

by ponchi101
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 pm ...

If Ainsley is a bot, well done, she seemed to respond to my joke about high school pretty well.

It seems to be the very same people/person. The personalities are very much the same. Young women, very friendly, non-controversial.
Not that I want a bot that is an absolute pain and rude, but that AI was very convincing.
(If it was an AI. Maybe it was a real person suffering from schizophrenia...)

by ptmcmahon
Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:56 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:49 pm Welcome aboard, Wheels. I hope you will enjoy the forum, and that you will stay for long.
Thanks, I tried another tennis forum for awhile and the chat was fine, but there were these two members that were quite bossy and thought they ran the place which they didn't. I wouldn't have had a problem with them if they were staff, but they were not. So I had enough of the bickering and left and joined here. I hope this is a better experience.
Welcome! We bicker sometimes too but I don’t think we are actually mad at each other? :)

by ptmcmahon
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:01 am
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 pm ...

It seems to be the very same people/person. The personalities are very much the same. Young women, very friendly, non-controversial.
Not that I want a bot that is an absolute pain and rude, but that AI was very convincing.
(If it was an AI. Maybe it was a real person suffering from schizophrenia...)
If you re read all the intro posts they do look pretty similar. Especially the “my favourite players are John Doe and Jane Doe.”

by Wheels
ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:35 am
Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:56 pm
Welcome! We bicker sometimes too but I don’t think we are actually mad at each other? :)
People disagree all the time, but at this other forum that wasn't even the problem. It was basically two members who had issues with one another about posting stuff about matches. One member would always bring up older matches involving older players that they compared to the current match and it completely drove the other member crazy. They fought like cats and dogs over this. The administrator of the forum did nothing about it leaving all the other members in the middle. I eventually had enough and left.

by skatingfan
ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:37 am If you re read all the intro posts they do look pretty similar. Especially the “my favourite players are John Doe and Jane Doe.”
Everything very generic, and pleasant to a fault.

by Suliso Last year I avoided Cuckoo4Coco because it felt like someone older is impersonating a young girl, but with latest developments in AI perhaps indeed they're not even humans.

Will be ever harder in the future to distinguish what is real and what is not. Unless you meet someone in person.

by Wheels Like I stated to ponchi101, I feel I joined at the wrong time. I am sorry that all of this is going on with AI and BOTS, but because of my timing I feel I am going to be lumped in all of this mess and that is not fair to me at all. Ponchi101 mentioned to me that all these BOTS had posted a lot in a short period of time and then just left. Even though that is not going to be the case in the manner that I post because of my health issues and what I deal with daily, I still feel I am going to be judged wrongly by others here and when I do post there will always be those who put me in that category of being a BOT. I understand where you are all coming from, but this sort of atmosphere is also not fair to myself either. Unfortunately, I think my timing is wrong and finding another more accepting tennis atmosphere that isn't going through this mess is a better option for me. Good Luck taking care of all of this.

by skatingfan That is a very strange response.

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:23 pm Last year I avoided Cuckoo4Coco because it felt like someone older is impersonating a young girl, but with latest developments in AI perhaps indeed they're not even humans.

Will be ever harder in the future to distinguish what is real and what is not. Unless you meet someone in person.
I knew it- I just knew it all along. Run, those of us who are still humans, RUN!!!!! :gorgeous:

by Scoob New member, old recreational player, enjoys watching tennis. Played high school tennis back in the 80's .

by ponchi101 Welcome Scoob. Hope you will enjoy the forum?
How did you find us? We are pretty small and obscure, so bumping into us is not totally easy :)

by Scoob
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:46 pm Welcome Scoob. Hope you will enjoy the forum?
How did you find us? We are pretty small and obscure, so bumping into us is not totally easy :)
I looked up Top Tennis forums and this forum was listed. What caught my eye about this forum is that it stated it had 30 posts per day on average while most of them had less other than Talk Tennis Warehouse which had the same amount 30 posts on average per day, but they talked a lot about tennis equipment. So I chose this forum.

by Deuce We have more than 30 posts per day.
Other tennis forums have way more than 30 posts per day.
Talk Tennis (Warehouse) has way, way, way more than 30 posts per day.
Here we go again?

by Scoob
Deuce wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:32 am We have more than 30 posts per day.
Here we go again?
I am just telling you what the site said. Here you want to look for yourself?

https://blog.feedspot.com/tennis_forums/

by Scoob
Deuce wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:32 am We have more than 30 posts per day.
Here we go again?
I am going to end this right here. I read several posts back that there has been Spam Bot attacks on this site and I AM NOT ONE OF THEM!!!! I do not appreciate the "Here we go again" comments when you have no clue who I am. I provided the link that I explained to the other member how I came upon this site and you seemed to have thought with your comment that was a bunch of B.S. . Well it was not. As you can see that is exactly what the link said. I also am going to provide a photo of myself with a sign with this forums name on it and that I am a human and my username to prove to you that you should not have made an assumption like you did without even giving me a chance to post even 3 posts on here. I hope this proves to you and to whoever else on here might think I was a Spam Bot. As you can see the letters on the sign are backwards because I took the photo myself. I think you can all read it.

Thank You, Scott(Scoob)

Photo taken down per request of administrator(ponchi101): It has been revealed I am not a Spam Bot and am real.

by skatingfan Welcome Scoob

by Scoob
skatingfan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:01 amWelcome Scoob
Thanks for the welcome.

by MJ2004 Welcome Scoob. Please feel free to ignore Deuce. That’s what I do.

by Scoob
MJ2004 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:25 am Welcome Scoob. Please feel free to ignore Deuce. That’s what I do. Image
Thanks for the welcome. I just want to move on from the whole thing and talk tennis.

by ponchi101
Scoob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:26 am ...

I am going to end this right here. I read several posts back that there has been Spam Bot attacks on this site and I AM NOT ONE OF THEM!!!! I do not appreciate the "Here we go again" comments when you have no clue who I am. I provided the link that I explained to the other member how I came upon this site and you seemed to have thought with your comment that was a bunch of B.S. . Well it was not. As you can see that is exactly what the link said. I also am going to provide a photo of myself with a sign with this forums name on it and that I am a human and my username to prove to you that you should not have made an assumption like you did without even giving me a chance to post even 3 posts on here. I hope this proves to you and to whoever else on here might think I was a Spam Bot. As you can see the letters on the sign are backwards because I took the photo myself. I think you can all read it.

Thank You, Scott(Scoob)

[...
The photo is not uploading. :)
But do not worry about that. If you ARE a spambot, we will see it soon enough. If you ARE NOT, just feel free to join us in our conversations. As I said above, welcome to the forum, I hope you will interact with the rest of us, and that you will have a good time.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:46 pm The photo is not uploading. :)
But do not worry about that. If you ARE a spambot, we will see it soon enough. If you ARE NOT, just feel free to join us in our conversations. As I said above, welcome to the forum, I hope you will interact with the rest of us, and that you will have a good time.
The photo was uploading last night - I can confirm that Scoob is a real person.

by mmmm8 Welcome to the forum, Scoob! We got heavy Canadian representation here, you'll fit right in!

by ptmcmahon
skatingfan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:17 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:46 pm The photo is not uploading. :)
The photo was uploading last night - I can confirm that Scoob is a real person.
Unless all us Canadians are bots too ... oops :D

Welcome Scoob, don't be too offended, we've had some bot issues lately.

by Scoob Thanks everyone for the welcomes. Not sure why the photo is not loading any longer. I will post it again and see if it works. Like I said in the other post I took the photo, so the paper with the forum name, and my username, and I am Real is backwards.

Everyone who has wanted to see the photo has seen it by now and it was recommended to take it down by the administrator so I am doing so. I hope that I proved that assuming too early when someone has not even posted 3 posts yet is not the way to go about handling these sorts of things. It makes things turn ugly and makes people look rather stupid as well when they are wrong. In the future, I suggest just letting the adminstrator and moderators handle any suspected spam bots and if anyone else feels there is one report them to those members who hold those jobs on here to handle it. That is why they are here on the forum.

Now I just want to talk about tennis.

by ptmcmahon That proves it, no bot could write backwards :D

Hehe ...welcome again. I was going to make you click on pictures of bridges but not needed now.

by Scoob
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:01 pm That proves it, no bot could write backwards :D

Hehe ...welcome again. I was going to make you click on pictures of bridges but not needed now.
:lol: I don't know if the writing backwards is more of a talent or not knowing how to take a photo where I am holding something with words on it shows up the correct way is less of a talent. :lol:

When I couldn't figure out how to take the photo and make the sign the correct way, I was almost about ready to attempt to right the words backwards and than said the hell with it. :lol: I think you all can get the picture.

by dave g
Scoob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:07 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:01 pm That proves it, no bot could write backwards :D

:lol: I don't know if the writing backwards is more of a talent or not knowing how to take a photo where I am holding something with words on it shows up the correct way is less of a talent. :lol:

When I couldn't figure out how to take the photo and make the sign the correct way, I was almost about ready to attempt to right the words backwards and than said the hell with it. :lol: I think you all can get the picture.

:o :o :o

I think I might have actually seen Scoob. Scoob did you go to the preCOVID tennis mixer social in Grand Marais? The Grand Marais tennis group hosted a "King of the doubles court" mixer. Since I was recently back to tennis, I spent most of my time on the bottom courts. But, if I remember you correctly, you spent most of your time on the lower number courts. Since I didn't know anybody that wasn't from Silver Bay, I didn't go around introducing myself, so you probably wouldn't remember seeing me.

You may be the only TAT2.0 member that I have ever seen. I'll keep a look out for you at Grand Marais tennis socials this summer.

Dave g

by Scoob
dave g wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:25 pm
Scoob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:07 pm

:o :o :o

I think I might have actually seen Scoob. Scoob did you go to the preCOVID tennis mixer social in Grand Marais? The Grand Marais tennis group hosted a "King of the doubles court" mixer. Since I was recently back to tennis, I spent most of my time on the bottom courts. But, if I remember you correctly, you spent most of your time on the lower number courts. Since I didn't know anybody that wasn't from Silver Bay, I didn't go around introducing myself, so you probably wouldn't remember seeing me.

You may be the only TAT2.0 member that I have ever seen. I'll keep a look out for you at Grand Marais tennis socials this summer.

Dave g
dave g, Yes I have been there before COVID.My memory is horrible because of many sports concussions from Ice Hockey hits I have had from the past so remembering details and peoples faces is difficult for me now. Was it in the Summer of 2017 or 2018 ? If you remember seeing a pretty tall guy well over 6 foot then that was probably me. It is only 90 minutes from where I am located to Grand Marias.

by ponchi101 Ok. Case closed.
However. I would ask you to take your photo down as, as we have discussed, we have gotten a few bots and I don't know what their purpose was. I would not want to have your photo manipulated maliciously. The decision is yours.
And, man: your are just begging to be called BOOCS. And you really don't want that. ;)

by Scoob
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:54 pm Ok. Case closed.
However. I would ask you to take your photo down as, as we have discussed, we have gotten a few bots and I don't know what their purpose was. I would not want to have your photo manipulated maliciously. The decision is yours.
And, man: your are just begging to be called BOOCS. And you really don't want that. ;)
Okay, I will take it down. I just wanted to make sure all who wanted to make sure all who wanted it to be clear saw it.

Thanks

by ptmcmahon
dave g wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:25 pm You may be the only TAT2.0 member that I have ever seen. I'll keep a look out for you at Grand Marais tennis socials this summer.
Heh, we're tied at one then :D

by JTContinental Welcome to the forum, Scoob!

by Scoob
JTContinental wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:47 pm Welcome to the forum, Scoob!
Thanks, I am starting to feel like I am settling in. At least in this thread and the Indian Wells Thread. :D

by skatingfan Okay, what happened to Scoob? Another one?

by ponchi101
skatingfan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:24 pm Okay, what happened to Scoob? Another one?
He sent me a PM stating that he was also visiting a second tennis forum and decided that one was more to his liking.
Also, he did not like that we also have other topics, non-tennis related, that consume a lot of time. I wonder why that would be a problem (just don't visit those).
But sure, he is gone. And he did change his e-mail address, which automatically disables you.

by Deuce You certainly don't post 119 times in less than a week if you don't like the forum or format. :roll: (And he posted in non-tennis threads, as well.)

As I initially suspected, he fit the pattern (SinnerFan, Ainsley, Wheels, etc.) to a T. He also came around right after those three. He was immediately very familiar with the format we use, and all of its functions (as if he had - gasp - been here before). He made a big stink about being legitimate, was extremely defensive, criticized me for my benign post, a few others (predictable ones) piled on...
Despite his badgering me (both in this thread and in unsolicited private messages), I never took the bait - I never replied to him.
And in the end, my initial assessment/concern was correct. I am not surprised in the least that he came and went very quickly.

I won't be acknowledging any new members (no quotes of their posts, no 'likes' or 'thanks', no references to what they post) until I am satisfied that they are legitimate.

We're fortunate that these fake members are not doing any practical damage, other than fooling people into believing they're legitimate. But we don't know if that will change at some point if the person/people doing this step up their actions.
Hopefully the protections that ponchi has incorporated will put an end to it, and the person(s) will go to get their thrills somewhere else.

by mmmm8 We can all act as we choose of course, but one thing is that the moderators (and by that I really mean mostly ponchi who puts so much time in this site while the rest of us just watch) can do the job and look out for the legitimacy of the members. Enjoy yourselves here, there's no need to go on detective missions!

I do want to know what's behind it all though!

by Deuce There was certainly no 'detective mission' on my part... the signs were obvious.
Additionally, I think that we all have a role to play in trying to keep this forum safe. The more eyes that are watching for unusual activity, the better.
I think we should all be attentive and diligent. All take and no give is not a positive approach.