by ti-amie THE CHAMPIONSHIPS, WIMBLEDON 2023
INTENDED ORDER OF PLAY FOR DAY 14 SUNDAY 16 JULY

CENTRE COURT - 2:00PM

1. Gentlemen's Singles - Final
Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) [1] v Novak Djokovic (SRB) [2]
2. Ladies' Doubles - Final
Storm Hunter (AUS) / Elise Mertens (BEL) [3] v Su-Wei Hsieh (TPE) / Barbora Strycova (CZE)

NO.1 COURT - 11:00AM

1. Gentlemen's Wheelchair Singles - Final
Tokito Oda (JPN) [1] v Alfie Hewett (GBR) [2]
Not Before: 1:00pm
2. Boys' Singles - Final
Henry Searle (GBR) v Yaroslav Demin [5]

3. Gentlemen's Invitation Doubles - Final
Bob Bryan (USA) / Mike Bryan (USA) v James Blake (USA) / Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)

NO.3 COURT - 11:00AM

1. Quad Wheelchair Singles - Final
Niels Vink (NED) [1] v Heath Davidson (AUS)
2. Ladies' Wheelchair Doubles - Final
Yui Kamiji (JPN) / Kgothatso Montjane (RSA) [1] v Diede De Groot (NED) / Jiske Griffioen (NED) [2]
Not Before: 2:00pm
3. Girls' Doubles - Final
Hannah Klugman (GBR) / Isabelle Lacy (GBR) v Alena Kovackova (CZE) / Laura Samsonova (CZE)

COURT 12 - 11:00AM

1. Girls' 14&Under Singles - Final
Luna Vujovic (SRB) [5] v Hollie Smart (GBR) [4]

Not Before: 1:00pm
2. Girls' Singles - Final
Nikola Bartunkova (CZE) v Clervie Ngounoue (USA) [2]
3. Boys' Doubles - Final
Branko Djuric (SRB) / Arthur Gea (FRA) [6] v Jakub Filip (CZE) / Gabriele Vulpitta (ITA)

COURT 18 - 11:00AM

1. Boys' 14&Under Singles - Final
Mark Ceban (GBR) [1] v Svit Suljic (SLO) [3]

2. Ladies' Invitation Doubles - Final
Cara Black (ZIM) / Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v Kim Clijsters (BEL) / Martina Hingis (SUI)

COURT 4 - 12:00PM

1. Mixed Invitation Doubles - Final
Nenad Zimonjic (SRB) / Rennae Stubbs (AUS) v Greg Rusedski (GBR) / Conchita Martinez (ESP)

2. Girls' 14&U Singles Consolation Play-Offs - Second Round
Jana Kovackova (CZE) v Annika Penickova (USA)
3. Boys' 14&U Singles Consolation Play-Offs - Second Round
Kaan Isik Kosaner (TUR) v Marcel Latak (USA)

COURT 8 - 11:00AM

1. Girls' 14&U Singles Consolation Play-Offs - Second Round
Jizelle Sibai (AUS) v Edie Griffiths (GBR)
2. Boys' 14&U Singles Consolation Play-Offs - Second Round
Leo Wright (GBR) v Rhys Lawlor (GBR)
3. Girls' 14&U Singles Consolation Play-Offs - Second Round
Renee Alame (AUS) v Sabrina Balderrama (VEN)
4. Boys' 14&U Singles Consolation Play-Offs - Second Round
Izyan Ahmad (USA) v Daiki Ando (JPN)

The Committee, while adhering as closely as possible to the order of play given, is unable to guarantee that it will be maintained in
its entirety.
This may result in matches being moved from one court to another. GERRY ARMSTRONG - REFEREE

by ashkor87 Watson says Djokovic 53-47..I think he's done for!

by skatingfan Not an auspicious start.

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:59 am Watson says Djokovic 53-47..I think he's done for!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Anyway the true percentages were much closer to 80-20 for Djokovic.

by ashkor87 I think it is actually pretty accurate, just bring snarky about AI

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:07 pm I think it is actually pretty accurate, just bring snarky about AI
AI - I thought you were quoting Heather Watson :lol:

by ashkor87
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:50 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:07 pm I think it is actually pretty accurate, just bring snarky about AI
AI - I thought you were quoting Heather Watson :lol:
He he..

by ashkor87 Alcaraz gradually getting the upper hand..I think he will win now

by ponchi101 Dave and I had a bet on whether this was going to be competitive. I said it would not be.
I lost that bet.

by texasniteowl cheezus....has anyone else had a 20 minute GAME with Djokovic?

edit...and on Djokovic's serve too?

by texasniteowl OMG. 27 minutes!

by ponchi101 Only in this sport do two players get to be on court/field for 27 minutes straight.

by ponchi101 Did Djokovic just quit that set?

by 3mlm How many times has Djokovic lost a set 1-6?

by skatingfan This is really where we should put the whole people don't have the attention span for long events. A 27 minute service game that was edge of your seat entertainment point after point as the tension built.

by Fastbackss
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:08 pm Did Djokovic just quit that set?
Once he lost the long service game it was likely the right decision so as to conserve energy

by ponchi101 Not in the sense that he let Alcaraz start serving the 4th.

by Suliso
3mlm wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:11 pm How many times has Djokovic lost a set 1-6?
A fair few I imagine. Has lost at 0-6 at least once.

by nelslus I KNEW freakin' Novak would be coming back. UGGGHHHHH.

by Suliso And here comes set #5. Who's more fit? Who has a greater will to win?

by atlpam When Djokovic conceded the end of the 3rd set to Alcaraz, the match had 5 sets written all over it.

by atlpam I still say Djoker wins.

by texasniteowl dude. if Novak really did just self injure himself when he slammed his racket into the net post?

by skatingfan Where's the 2023 racquet smash contest - that was a beauty off the net post.

by ponchi101
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:29 pm Where's the 2023 racquet smash contest - that was a beauty off the net post.
We haven't started it for 2023. You are welcomed to.

by Fastbackss Watching Djokovic not be able to get that break when up 1-0 - reminds me of a lesser player having a shot...and then once opportunity doesn't happen the set gets away.

That's the vibe I get. (Although he really needed that easy hold)

by Suliso
Fastbackss wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:34 pm Watching Djokovic not be able to get that break when up 1-0 - reminds me of a lesser player having a shot...and then once opportunity doesn't happen the set gets away.

That's the vibe I get. (Although he really needed that easy hold)
I don't think Djokovic will fade.

by atlpam WOW!!!

by ponchi101 He did not fade, but neither did Alcaraz.
A very, very good match.

by ashkor87 Alcaraz is the best player I have ever seen..he reminds me of Laver, especially his quickness.

by texasniteowl Just...wow. After the RG match, I didn't think he'd be able to pull this off over Djokovic. But whatever "IT" is, he has it.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:32 pm
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:29 pm Where's the 2023 racquet smash contest - that was a beauty off the net post.
We haven't started it for 2023. You are welcomed to.
Need to find a clip first.

by texasniteowl So obviously comparisons to Rafa are inevitable. At the same age, is Carlos a better all-court player than Rafa? I mean, as good as Carlos is, he has a long way to go to be considered a co-GOAT like Rafa. But wow...

by ponchi101 An anomalous Spaniard in the sense that he seems to be better on hard courts (by now, that stereotype of the clay eating Spaniard has to be put away).
But, comparing them at the same age... I say the case can be made.

by skatingfan
texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:17 pm So obviously comparisons to Rafa are inevitable. At the same age, is Carlos a better all-court player than Rafa? I mean, as good as Carlos is, he has a long way to go to be considered a co-GOAT like Rafa. But wow...
Nadal got a few French Open titles very early, but it took him until age 22 to win a major off clay - Alcaraz is the favourite/co-favourite to win every slam he enters for at least the next year so he could be ahead of Nadal by the time he's 22.

by Suliso Do we expect 20+ Slams from Alcaraz?

by texasniteowl
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:32 pm Do we expect 20+ Slams from Alcaraz?
Is he capable? Does he have the spirit? Yes.

Will he stay healthy? Impossible to predict.

Let's see in a year how well Rune, Ruud, and Sinner evolve.

Right now I'd commit to double digits, so 10+.

by patrick
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:32 pm Do we expect 20+ Slams from Alcaraz?
No

by ponchi101 Flip the question. Who, in the current crop of players, will be able to establish a rivalry with him and stop him? Rune? Their QF was lopsided. Sinner and him play close matches, but I am starting to wonder about Jannick.
I say by now the 10+ mark will be met. But, seeing as after Sampras set the record at 14 I said that was it, and I was completely off the mark, I really can't tell. He has no rivals right now in his peers. That should give him a clear path.

by ti-amie Looking at the @wimbledon time line on the bird site it seems whoever runs it was prepping for a Djokovic win. It's odd seeing it now when all is done and dusted.

by Fastbackss
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:54 pm Alcaraz is the best player I have ever seen..he reminds me of Laver, especially his quickness.
I've watched him before but his quickness today still caught me off guard. So many points he should have been out of but he was in and forced Novak to hit an extra ball

by ti-amie Hsieh/Strycova took the first set 7-5 and are up a break trying to consolidate at 3-1 in the second set.

by skatingfan Wimbledon have uploaded the Djokovic service game that last just short of 27 minutes.

by ponchi101 Is it a record? Longest game ever at W? Everywhere?

by ashkor87 yes, but 10 mins of Djoko bouncing the ball!!

by ashkor87 that first game of the second set was where the match was decided, I feel .. the tiebreak, of course, but it only got to a tiebreak because Djokovic seemd to be short of energy at the beginning of the set. Gilbert once said that the start of the second, third set is where the match swings - either someone is super-charged or a bit down..and the match never hets back on even keel.. happened this time for sure.

by ponchi101 I read a good statement by Djokovic. That this defeat was, in a way, a balancing of his record, because he had won some matches that perhaps he should not have won.
A very balanced opinion, and kudos to him for that.

by ashkor87 he actually said that while receiving his trophy,, maturity of a great champion.. 'meet with triumph and disaster.. and treat those two imposters just the same..' as the inscription at Wimby says..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:43 pm he actually said that while receiving his trophy,, maturity of a great champion.. 'meet with triumph and disaster.. and treat those two imposters just the same..' as the inscription at Wimby says..
He repeated it in the press conference, too. He cited the 2019 final vs Roger as one he probably should have lost. I was impressed that he knows the phrase "even Steven."

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:40 pm I read a good statement by Djokovic. That this defeat was, in a way, a balancing of his record, because he had won some matches that perhaps he should not have won.
A very balanced opinion, and kudos to him for that.
.....WELL, until you read more into these recent quotes- which included his making sure to mention during this same chat you referenced above about how he had beaten Roger at Wimbledon (one of three Slam matches where he saved two match points with Federer serving). AND, I believe during his later press conference, chatting about how he had NEVER!!!! played anyone like Alcaraz before- that Carlos has the BEST!!!! playing qualities of Roger AND Rafa (and himself, he "humbly" added). I mean, a fair statement, of course, comparing a player who has won 2 Slam singles titles vs. Roger's 20 and Rafa's 22. Clearly, he's going to continue to go out of his way to passive aggressively put down Rafa and Roger every chance that he gets, because HE is the BEST!! PLAYER!!!! EVER!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The only thing I'll give Novak with his recent comments, compared to his more recent comments, is that, at least, he is now showing off his Pure & True Inner Beelzebub, Former Faux-Humility-Be-Damned. "It Ain't Happening" indeed. But, please. Let's not try to make "good statement" and "kudos" happen when it comes to Djokovic. Novak could recite "Mary Had a Little Lamb", and still make it offensive. :gorgeous:

PS: You all REALIZE that Wimbledon has ENDED!!- correct? :gorgeous:

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:28 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:43 pm he actually said that while receiving his trophy,, maturity of a great champion.. 'meet with triumph and disaster.. and treat those two imposters just the same..' as the inscription at Wimby says..
He repeated it in the press conference, too. He cited the 2019 final vs Roger as one he probably should have lost. I was impressed that he knows the phrase "even Steven."
Sure. And next, he'll have his parents and Lesser Brothers in the stands wear "I Beat Roger at Wimbledon in 2019 After Saving Match Points, and All I Got Was This Lousy T-shirt". Just in case we ever forget. :gorgeous:

by ponchi101 We approach this from a different perspective. The devil himself could give a statement and if the statement rings true, I will accept it.
And I would like to believe that some people can change and can improve; I would not like to be in a place where I will be judged by what I said when I was 18, or even 30 (I would be imprisoned fast enough).

And, sure, Wimbledon ended. But this is still about Wimbledon and what are we going to talk about? Kevin Anderson's return at Newport? STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:48 pm We approach this from a different perspective. The devil himself could give a statement and if the statement rings true, I will accept it.
And I would like to believe that some people can change and can improve; I would not like to be in a place where I will be judged by what I said when I was 18, or even 30 (I would be imprisoned fast enough).

And, sure, Wimbledon ended. But this is still about Wimbledon and what are we going to talk about? Kevin Anderson's return at Newport? STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!
:lol:

I think it says a lot that people are still talking about Wimbledon. Sadly it's more about the Gentlemen than the Ladies but it shows that the quality of that Final was high and people just want to talk about it.

by Fastbackss The ratings were pretty good in the US for both finals.
One interesting stat is that the average viewer during the men's final watched for over 2h20mins. That's crazy - shows how enthralling the match was

by ponchi101 And maybe the 2h20m was because, like me, I woke up and started watching after the 1st set was done.

by atlpam
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:04 pm And maybe the 2h20m was because, like me, I woke up and started watching after the 1st set was done.
That just means you jumped to the good part. Thank goodness the 1st set wasn’t an indicator for the rest of the match.

by texasniteowl
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:04 pm And maybe the 2h20m was because, like me, I woke up and started watching after the 1st set was done.
lol. you woke up before I did. I woke up just in time to catch the final 2 points of the second set tiebreak!