'23 US Open 8/28 - 9/10 General Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ashkor87 India

Re: '23 US Open 8/28 - 9/10 General Discussion

Post by ashkor87 »

Have conditions been hotter/more humid than normal ? Medvedev was saying it was almost impossible to play, and even Pegula looked like she was wilting.. I am half the globe away so I cant tell.. someone who has actually been to the matches can say better..?
FredX United States of America

Post by FredX »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:17 am Have conditions been hotter/more humid than normal ? Medvedev was saying it was almost impossible to play, and even Pegula looked like she was wilting.. I am half the globe away so I cant tell.. someone who has actually been to the matches can say better..?
Yes, a heat wave rolled in the last two days. There's a heat advisory in effect today - I would expect them to have the roofs closed and the AC pumping.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

.....I'll soon be heading out today to NYC for the Open. YAY HEAT!!!! Will be seeing the tennis starting tomorrow through Saturday, flying back to Chicago on Sunday. AND, of course, a few days ago- a Facebook friend posted about their recent horror story with Southwest Airlines (....three guesses what airline I'll be on for this round trip). :freaking:

My first time on a plane since COVID- and I'm actually a bit scared- not of flying- I do love flying. Nevertheless, health permitting- I am planning on having a splendid time. I've got my masks ready.

AND- usually before I go on any trips, I try to remember to check in here to see if my "today" pick has defaulted. WELL- I only have one choice for today. So, if Muchova has to bail- OH, well. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:47 pm .....I'll soon be heading out today to NYC for the Open. YAY HEAT!!!! Will be seeing the tennis starting tomorrow through Saturday, flying back to Chicago on Sunday. AND, of course, a few days ago- a Facebook friend posted about their recent horror story with Southwest Airlines (....three guesses what airline I'll be on for this round trip). :freaking:

My first time on a plane since COVID- and I'm actually a bit scared- not of flying- I do love flying. Nevertheless, health permitting- I am planning on having a splendid time. I've got my masks ready.

AND- usually before I go on any trips, I try to remember to check in here to see if my "today" pick has defaulted. WELL- I only have one choice for today. So, if Muchova has to bail- OH, well. :gorgeous:
Have a great time and report back! Where are you sitting?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

We're having a spike in Covid here in NYC. Keep your mask on and enjoy the tennis.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:09 pm
nelslus wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:47 pm .....I'll soon be heading out today to NYC for the Open. YAY HEAT!!!! Will be seeing the tennis starting tomorrow through Saturday, flying back to Chicago on Sunday. AND, of course, a few days ago- a Facebook friend posted about their recent horror story with Southwest Airlines (....three guesses what airline I'll be on for this round trip). :freaking:

NO problems at all with Southwest flying in- we actually got in a bit early. I had forgotten how convoluted it can be to get your luggage at LaGuardia. But, no big deal. The Airbnb room I have in the place I am staying at is small. But, I have my own washroom and shower- and the family seems quite nice. Plus, this costs a good deal less than a hotel.

Other than that, I believe that, when I am in Ashe, I have been assigned to the Nosebleed Section. :gorgeous: At any of the other stadiums/courts, I will push little old ladies and babies out of the way to get the best seats possible.

Tomorrow, I'll try to get there to watch the Sabalenka/Zheng match, and/or I'll be watching a lot of doubles. IF the Medvedev match looks interesting, I might toddle on into that match. Sadly, my ticket tomorrow is for the Day Session only. Assuming that Carlos wins tomorrow- I am so much hoping that Carlos will be the 3 p.m. match on Friday. It'd suck if I don't get to see Carlos (and/or if he loses tomorrow). The resale price for the night matches is just way too high. So, unless I can show enough leg and get someone's ticket as they are exiting a night match.... :gorgeous:

I also have become one of those stereotypes, in that, while I love time on my own and always have had plenty of independence with my life- I also, so much, hate not having John here with me. I miss him so much.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:09 pm

NO problems at all with Southwest flying in- we actually got in a bit early. I had forgotten how convoluted it can be to get your luggage at LaGuardia. But, no big deal. The Airbnb room I have in the place I am staying at is small. But, I have my own washroom and shower- and the family seems quite nice. Plus, this costs a good deal less than a hotel.

Other than that, I believe that, when I am in Ashe, I have been assigned to the Nosebleed Section. :gorgeous: At any of the other stadiums/courts, I will push little old ladies and babies out of the way to get the best seats possible.

Tomorrow, I'll try to get there to watch the Sabalenka/Zheng match, and/or I'll be watching a lot of doubles. IF the Medvedev match looks interesting, I might toddle on into that match. Sadly, my ticket tomorrow is for the Day Session only. Assuming that Carlos wins tomorrow- I am so much hoping that Carlos will be the 3 p.m. match on Friday. It'd suck if I don't get to see Carlos (and/or if he loses tomorrow). The resale price for the night matches is just way too high. So, unless I can show enough leg and get someone's ticket as they are exiting a night match.... :gorgeous:

I also have become one of those stereotypes, in that, while I love time on my own and always have had plenty of independence with my life- I also, so much, hate not having John here with me. I miss him so much.
Didn’t realize you were alone. It’s lovely that you have someone to miss that much. You’ll see him soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

More of Naomi

Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I see a little resemblance to Tina Turner.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I love that Madison just dropped a "(expletive)" bomb in her interview.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Trying to endear herself to the crowd
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:50 am Trying to endear herself to the crowd
More? I find her very likeable. I assume she is well liked in NYC.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

She is and had been commenting on how the crowd was supporting her.
I was being sarcastic given NY'ers penchant for using foul language