With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by Suliso »

AstraZeneca likely to be approved in EU this week. We have hardly any Moderna here and without AZ we'll never get where we need to get. Nobody talking about Johnson & Johnson here, but hopefully they succeed as well.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:37 pm AstraZeneca likely to be approved in EU this week. We have hardly any Moderna here and without AZ we'll never get where we need to get. Nobody talking about Johnson & Johnson here, but hopefully they succeed as well.
Is vaccination underway in most European countries, and are they struggling with it as much as we are? Indiana, I must say, is doing a pretty good job. My mom just got vaccinated (she's a healthy 80). My husband, whose job takes him into hospitals every day, got it. You can volunteer at the sites and have a chance (a shot, haha) at getting an extra one at the end of the night.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:51 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:37 pm AstraZeneca likely to be approved in EU this week. We have hardly any Moderna here and without AZ we'll never get where we need to get. Nobody talking about Johnson & Johnson here, but hopefully they succeed as well.
Is vaccination underway in most European countries, and are they struggling with it as much as we are? Indiana, I must say, is doing a pretty good job. My mom just got vaccinated (she's a healthy 80). My husband, whose job takes him into hospitals every day, got it. You can volunteer at the sites and have a chance (a shot, haha) at getting an extra one at the end of the night.
It has started everywhere in EU, but we started late and it's going too slow... In Switzerland only 2% have been vaccinated and in Latvia it's not even 1%. UK is the only country which has done better than US, albeit I question their strategy of not giving the second dose at the time it has been prescribed.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

So very concerned about that UK strategy diverging so far from the approach in the clinical trial. We've already had people here that have gotten covid after they've gotten the vaccine, some of them Congressmen and women. The public health officials I've seen talk about it have said, yes, it can happen because in the case of the one shot, they haven't been fully vaccinated, and in the case of two shots, it was too close to the second shot for them to develop the full immunity because it takes time to build up response fully in the body. But what's that mean for the UK strategy?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:39 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:51 pm
It has started everywhere in EU, but we started late and it's going too slow... In Switzerland only 2% have been vaccinated and in Latvia it's not even 1%. UK is the only country which has done better than US, albeit I question their strategy of not giving the second dose at the time it has been prescribed.
Are they waiting too long to give the second dose?

Here, anyone can get it actually. It's easy to jump the line. No one verifies if you actually qualify - they want needles in arms. Some people have done that. I don't judge... I've decided against it for myself because I don't need it urgently. I can wait.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

First U.S. case of highly transmissible Brazil coronavirus variant identified in Minnesota

By
Joel Achenbach
Jan. 25, 2021 at 5:45 p.m. EST

Minnesota officials announced Monday they have identified a person infected with a highly transmissible variant of the coronavirus that has been spreading at alarming rates in recent weeks in Brazil. This is the first report in the United States of the so-called P.1 variant.

The Minnesota Department of Health said the case involved “a Minnesota resident with recent travel history to Brazil,” and the variant was detected through genomic sequencing of random blood samples. The person, a resident of the Twin Cities metro area, reported feeling sick the first week of January, and was tested Jan. 9.

“This isn’t surprising. It’s a very difficult development, but at the same time not unexpected,” Michael T. Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota and an adviser to President Biden’s coronavirus response team, said in an interview.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/b ... story.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:39 pm
Here, anyone can get it actually. It's easy to jump the line. No one verifies if you actually qualify - they want needles in arms. Some people have done that. I don't judge... I've decided against it for myself because I don't need it urgently. I can wait.
What?!?

To be clear, Megan must be talking about Indianapolis or Indiana, not the US. Anyone can absolutely not go get a vaccine or jump the line. It's not supposed to be happening in Indiana either according to their own guidelines. Truly messed up. I will judge harshly.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Unfortunately, we do not have enough people from around the world to make a proper comparison.
Maybe we should start a poll. When will ALL OF US be vaccinated? Who will be the first? Who will be last? Because here, with already 45K+ people dead, the GOV is still talking about Feb 15th to start.
And you can bet they will be late.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I am not an anti-vaxxer. I have had all of the pneumonia shots, a booster shot for god knows what, and any and all shots seniors need to have. When It comes to this shot however, I am going to wait until my physical in March. Right now NYC is out of vaccine anyway.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:24 am Unfortunately, we do not have enough people from around the world to make a proper comparison.
Maybe we should start a poll. When will ALL OF US be vaccinated? Who will be the first? Who will be last? Because here, with already 45K+ people dead, the GOV is still talking about Feb 15th to start.
And you can bet they will be late.
I'm afraid you're likely to be last. As for the first probably one of our older members from US. I don't expect it for myself before July/August.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Now I'm reading that AZ might not be approved for seniors (if at all) in EU. Data shows insufficient activity. The new mRNA technology will stand out even more if that is the case.

Just to illustrate my previous point about vaccines around here in Germany 1.78 million doses have been given including 1.76 million from Pfizer/BioNTech.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

There should be some kind of journalism prize for stupidity. Two large and seemingly respectable German newspapers printed a story claiming that AZ vaccine is less than 10% effective for people over 65. Sensational news except that the original document actually says that less than 10% of trial participants (8% to be exact) were 65+...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:24 pm There should be some kind of journalism prize for stupidity. Two large and seemingly respectable German newspapers printed a story claiming that AZ vaccine is less than 10% effective for people over 65. Sensational news except that the original document actually says that less than 10% of trial participants (8% to be exact) were 65+...

There should be a censure of some kind when idiots spout off about science incorrectly.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »