With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 USO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '23 USO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Yay Maddie! But plays tomorrow night, right?

She's only 28. Thought she was over 30.

Rennae asked her how important it was to get tactical advice from Bjorn, and she said, "To be honest, I couldn't hear s*** out here tonight."
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

I lament my ignorance at not knowing who the musician Jon Baptiste is, but I appreciated the prolonged shot of him in the crowd - with his seat neighbour talking with him while wearing a yarmulke and ferociously working a toothpick
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I don't think Keys will beat Sabalenka, but I will be pulling for her even though it would cost me a medal in the SP. She has a puncher's chance in that match.

For the crowd that thinks she always crumbles, that stat about her only losing one U.S. Open match in her career after winning the first set had to be surprising. She will need a fast start against Sabalenka.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

You could see Keys get tight in the second set and I thought she would fall apart but she didn't. Good for her.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Fastbackss »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 am You could see Keys get tight in the second set and I thought she would fall apart but she didn't. Good for her.
I worried when she had squandered two match points...

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:43 am I don't think Keys will beat Sabalenka, but I will be pulling for her even though it would cost me a medal in the SP. She has a puncher's chance in that match.

For the crowd that thinks she always crumbles, that stat about her only losing one U.S. Open match in her career after winning the first set had to be surprising. She will need a fast start against Sabalenka.
I don't think she will beat Sabalenka, either, but we'll see. This match is about who handles nerves better. I wonder if they will both play first strike or if Maddie will let Sabalenka have a little control and use her pace and try to draw errors.

Post by Fastbackss »

Last night I went to bed after the first set, but taped the match so I could watch the rest over morning coffee.

Planned on doing the same tonight, but not sure I need to tape this one...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I like her chances. Maddie has enough power to go toe to toe with Aryna.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:04 am Last night I went to bed after the first set, but taped the match so I could watch the rest over morning coffee.

Planned on doing the same tonight, but not sure I need to tape this one...
So predictable. Except for the T serve that Carlitos hit about 8 feet wide just now.

Post by meganfernandez »

I find Alcaraz's talent for choosing and executing the exact right shot every time kind of boring and annoying. It's how some people felt about Roger, but Roger had a style and artistry that I don't see in Carlos, and ai hadn't seen it before. For me, drop shots aren't personality. It's in the eye of the beholder, I know. I get why others love him. I like him personally. But I'm missing the thrill of watching him play.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:40 am I find Alcaraz's talent for choosing the exact right shot every time kind of boring and annoying. It's how some people felt about Roger, but Roger had a style and artistry that I don't see in Carlos. For me, drop shots aren't a personality. It's in the eye of the beholder, I know. I get why others love him. But I'm missing it.
.....I love Carlos. (*And his drop shots, etc. I think drop shots most definitely can be included with a certain kind of personality and artistry.) (So there.) :)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

In the two matches tonight, the winner saved all 14 of the break points he/she faced and converted all seven of the break points he/she earned.

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:44 am
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:40 am I find Alcaraz's talent for choosing the exact right shot every time kind of boring and annoying. It's how some people felt about Roger, but Roger had a style and artistry that I don't see in Carlos. For me, drop shots aren't a personality. It's in the eye of the beholder, I know. I get why others love him. But I'm missing it.
.....I love Carlos. (*And his drop shots, etc. I think drop shots most definitely can be included with a certain kind of personality and artistry.) (So there.) :)
They can be, but they just aren't for me in this case. They aren't novel. He hits them better than anyone, but it's still a foundational shot. He hasn't introduced anything new. People act like he invented it.

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:47 am In the two matches tonight, the winner saved all 14 of the break points he/she faced and converted all seven of the break points he/she earned.
Great pull.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:49 am
nelslus wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:44 am
They can be, but they just aren't for me in this case. They aren't novel. He hits them better than anyone, but it's still a foundational shot. He hasn't introduced anything new. People act like he invented it.
Sure, he ain't Hsieh. But- why would he need to invent anything, if he does everything so well? To me, Carlos plays a beautiful game. I love how sound his over-all game is. Albeit, IMO, he does especially need to improve his serving. (Volleying can also improve, etc.)

PS: I hope that Carlos will be the daytime SF choice. Quite possible, with Novak against Ben....
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous: