With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 USO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

'23 USO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:49 am
nelslus wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:44 am

.....I love Carlos. (*And his drop shots, etc. I think drop shots most definitely can be included with a certain kind of personality and artistry.) (So there.) :)
They can be, but they just aren't for me in this case. They aren't novel. He hits them better than anyone, but it's still a foundational shot. He hasn't introduced anything new. People act like he invented it.
Sure, he ain't Hsieh. But- why would he need to invent anything, if he does everything so well? I love how sound his over-all game is. Albeit, IMO, he does especially need to improve his serving. (Volleying can also improve, etc.)
I want to see something I haven’t seen before in a player with this much adoration and proclamations of greatness. I mentioned drop shots because that are the biggest signature of his game and people can’t stop talking about them as unique. But so what, drop shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nelslus United States of America

Re: '23 USO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:54 am
nelslus wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:49 am

They can be, but they just aren't for me in this case. They aren't novel. He hits them better than anyone, but it's still a foundational shot. He hasn't introduced anything new. People act like he invented it.
Sure, he ain't Hsieh. But- why would he need to invent anything, if he does everything so well? I love how sound his over-all game is. Albeit, IMO, he does especially need to improve his serving. (Volleying can also improve, etc.)
I want to see something I haven’t seen before in a player with this much adoration and proclamations of greatness. I mentioned drop shots because that are the biggest signature of his game and people can’t stop talking about them as unique. But so what, drop shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you win SO many points from drop shots- that's some major skills, and something very few top players can/could pull off from any era so often (See: Evert, Chris). His forehand is huge. His offense and defense are both excellent. He is a very bold player, and goes for winners so much of the time.

And....he's 20. Years. Old. Perhaps give this kid a little time before expecting any Hsieh/Frankie Durr level inventiveness? There ain't much new that any specific player can ever show us.

I mean, it's absurd at this point for anyone to go all GOAT-chat about Carlos. If that irritates folks, so be it. He's got a LONG way to go- let him at least reach Pete (and, LOL) Emerson level first. (Which, of course, may never happen. So much can go wrong for any player.) But, the hyperbole ain't his fault.

PS: Odds are, we can agree to disagree. We ain't gonna convince each other. Sometimes- we also can just have subjective dislikes for players.

PSS: I'm remain far more miffed with ponchi's zit-ridicule of Carlos. Leave Pretty Carlos Alone!
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I am old enough to have seen Laver in his prime...Alcaraz reminds me of him a lot..his blinding speed..and aggression..like a cheetah on the hunt...it is intimidating I am sure..
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

It is not absurd at all to talk about Alcaraz as a potential GOAT. All you have to do is watch him play. No one in my lifetime has been this gifted at 20. That does not guarantee his ultimate historic greatness, but it certainly is worthy of conversation.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Carlos and his drop shots.
What makes the shot so effective is that he drop shots AND wrong-foot's you in one stroke. A lot of players do this: they pull you wide, and then hit the drop shot into the open court. But you are RECOVERING into the court, so all you have to do is accelerate and get there. There is no need to change direction. Alcaraz pull's you wide, and as you are recovering into the court, he has the instinct to go into the opposite direction with the drop, so you have to recover AND change direction. He is unique in that aspect.

It is not that he playing great tennis. He is reaching that level in which he is toying with his opponents. Last night's win against Zverev felt that way. I say the 10 slams mark is set. Need to wait a bit more to see if in 10 years we are indeed talking GOAT. But, seeing as nobody else is stepping up, we may have a to talk about it then.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem