COURT 12 11:00 AM

JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES R3
SVK R. Jamrichova [1] vs CZE N. Bartunkova
JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES R3
Upcoming
POL Z. Pawlikowska vs USA K. Hui
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES R2
Not before 1:00 PM
SVK R. Jamrichova [1]/USA K. Quevedo [1] vs USA A. Anazagasty-Pursoo/AUS M. Joint
WC MEN'S DOUBLES
Not before 3:00 PM
GBR A. Hewett [1]/GBR G. Reid [1] vs BEL J. Gerard/NED M. Scheffers

COURT 13 11:00 AM

JUNIOR BOYS' SINGLES R3
USA D. Blanch vs [8] USA A. Frusina
JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES R2
CHN T. Zhang/CHN Y. Zhou vs TBD
WC WOMEN'S DOUBLES
NED D. De Groot [1]/NED J. Griffioen [1] vs COL A. Bernal/NED L. De Greef

COURT 4 11:00 AM

JUNIOR BOYS' SINGLES R3
CHN Y. Zhou [9] vs JPN R. Sakamoto
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES R2
SRB T. Kostovic/BEN G. Nahum vs JPN H. Kinoshita/JPN W. Sonobe
JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES R2
KOR S. Park/IND A. Shah vs TBD
WC WOMEN'S DOUBLES
FRA P. Deroulede/GBR L. Shuker vs JPN Y. Kamiji [2]/RSA K. Montjane [2]

COURT 6 11:00 AM

JUNIOR BOYS' SINGLES R3
AUS P. Marinkov vs MEX R. Pacheco Mendez [2]
WC QUAD DOUBLES
NED S. Schroder [1]/NED N. Vink [1] vs ISR G. Sasson/JPN K. Sugeno

COURT 7 11:00 AM

JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES R3
A. Gureva [11] vs USA V. Glozman
JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES R2
Upcoming
SWE M. Dahlin/EST O. Ojakaar vs GBR O. Bonding/ESP A. Melero Kretzer
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES R2
ROU M. Gae [8]/A. Gureva [8] vs TBD
WC QUAD DOUBLES
GBR A. Lapthorne/RSA D. Ramphadi vs AUS H. Davidson [2]/CAN R. Shaw [2]

COURT 8 11:00 AM

JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES R3
JPN E. Koike [6] vs USA A. Schuman
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES R2
USA T. Evans/USA A. Hamilton vs JPN S. Ishii [2]/JPN E. Koike [2]
WC MEN'S DOUBLES
CHI A. Cataldo/USA C. Ratzlaff vs JPN D. Arai/USA C. Stroud

COURT 9 11:00 AM

JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES R3
GBR H. Klugman vs JPN S. Ishii [3]
JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES R2
Upcoming
AUS H. Jones/USA A. Razeghi vs POL T. Berkieta [3]/GBR H. Searle [3]
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES R2
GBR H. Klugman/GBR M. Xu vs ESP C. Esquiva Banuls [7]/AUS E. Jones [7]
WC WOMEN'S DOUBLES
ARG M. Moreno/CHN Z. Zhu vs JPN S. Funamizu/GER K. Kruger

COURT 14 11:00 AM

JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES R3
JPN S. Saito [4] vs ESP C. Esquiva Banuls [16]
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES R2
USA S. Lam/GBR M. Stojsavljevic vs JPN S. Saito/JPN N. Sato
WC MEN'S DOUBLES
NED T. Egberink/NED R. Spaargaren vs FRA S. Houdet/JPN T. Sanada

COURT 15 11:00 AM

JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES R3
SLO E. Milic vs CZE L. Samsonova [10]
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES R2
BUL I. Ivanova/GER S. Zhiyenbayeva vs CZE A. Kovackova [4]/CZE L. Samsonova [4]
WC WOMEN'S DOUBLES
USA D. Mathewson/JPN M. Tanaka vs JPN M. Ohtani/NED A. Van Koot

by meganfernandez Sabalenka lost 4 points in the first five games. Won 20 out of 24 points.

by martini4me She's been totally overpowered by Sabalenka's (who's hitting from three feet inside the baseline) groundstrokes, plus her first serve percentage is 24%.

by jazzyg Zheng should have lost to Bronzetti, but thankfully she didn't because I had her in the survivor pool. Bronzetti had won four games in a row in the third set and was up 4-2 with a game point. Then at deuce she had two chances to put away an overhead to get another game point and could not do it.

The point of all this is Zheng never had a shot to hang with Sabalenka.

by ti-amie Picking up on ponchi's comment about preset narratives PMac seems absolutely fascinated by the fact that Medvedev and Rublev are - gasp - friends. Close friends. Close enough for Rublev to be the godfather of Medvedev's daughter. He's repeated it ad nauseam throughout the first set.

Cahill's contribution is that Medvedev is "thick" and "very tall" at 6'5" (I think. I forget what he said) and Cliffy was like "He's thick you say?"
"Yes. Rublev is my height, 6'2" Cahill continued and I think I lost all interest when Drysdale went back to "You say he's thick," or some version of that.

Meanwhile the ESPN ladies are trying to sell us on Sabalenka being a "great personality" but asked the same question about "how do you feel when it's so hot on court" or "What do you feel being out there now that you're ranked #1". The best question was about her Nike kit that she helped design and her response that it's not heavy once you sweat in it was very interesting.

Anyway Medvedev won the first set 6-4. Did you know that Medvedev and Rublev are good friends?

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: ↑Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:52 pm Picking up on ponchi's comment about preset narratives PMac seems absolutely fascinated by the fact that Medvedev and Rublev are - gasp - friends. Close friends. Close enough for Rublev to be the godfather of Medvedev's daughter. He's repeated it ad nauseam throughout the first set.

Cahill's contribution is that Medvedev is "thick" and "very tall" at 6'5" (I think. I forget what he said) and Cliffy was like "He's thick you say?"
"Yes. Rublev is my height, 6'2" Cahill continued and I think I lost all interest when Drysdale went back to "You say he's thick," or some version of that.

Meanwhile the ESPN ladies are trying to sell us on Sabalenka being a "great personality" but asked the same question about "how do you feel when it's so hot on court" or "What do you feel being out there now that you're ranked #1". The best question was about her Nike kit that she helped design and her response that it's not heavy once you sweat in it was very interesting.

Anyway Medvedev won the first set 6-4. Did you know that Medvedev and Rublev are good friends?
If I hear Rene Stubbs ask ANYONE one more time "How does it feel to be in QF's/Semis of the US Open and playing in this stadium?", my TV will be in danger.
Maddie was the one that answer it properly. Stubbs went on with a "you were slicing your BH and coming in today" and Maddie, very nicely, said "I always slice and come in, Rene. It was a normal day for me out there".
Why can't these players call them on it? "How does it feel? It feels like I just won a QF at Arthur Ashe stadium in the USO. It feels exactly like that!"

by jazzyg It is tough to be an announcer.

People who have no idea how hard it is are constantly labeling you an idiot.

I have no announcing experience myself, but I know people who do and it ain't easy. I pretty much like all of the ESPN tennis announcers to varying degrees and prefer them as a whole to the Tennis Channel crew, but there is no accounting for personal preference.

by ponchi101 But they don't have to talk ALL the time. That is the advantage.
Years ago, when HBO had the rights to Wimby, they would switch to the BBC's cast. Once, the BBC was showing Lendl/Pereira in the fifth set. The announcer said nothing for many games. And then, Lendl served a booming serve, and Pereira returned it with a smack for a return winner. The BBC commentator just said "Tremendous power from Pereira!", and let the match carry itself.
They don't have to comment on every point. We are watching a match; let the spectacle carry itself.

by ti-amie The Tennis Podcast πŸ€–
@TennisPodcast@sportsbots.xyz
The trainer is on to see Medvedev.

It seems to be an issue with his back - or his breathing? Or his abs? Unclear. He lifted up his shirt and was gesturing at his back, but he also seemed to be saying that whatever it is makes him want to double over.

No MTO though - yet.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:05 pm If I hear Rene Stubbs ask ANYONE one more time "How does it feel to be in QF's/Semis of the US Open and playing in this stadium?", my TV will be in danger.
Maddie was the one that answer it properly. Stubbs went on with a "you were slicing your BH and coming in today" and Maddie, very nicely, said "I always slice and come in, Rene. It was a normal day for me out there".
Why can't these players call them on it? "How does it feel? It feels like I just won a QF at Arthur Ashe stadium in the USO. It feels exactly like that!"
Keys response was funny - very sarcastic - 'What do you mean? I always serve & volley. It's my normal game.' or something to that effect.

by ti-amie It is very difficult to interview someone "cold".
When TAT 1.0 was covering tennis events I had a chance to interview James Blake at a Harlem Junior Tennis event. (Don't ask the year)
I had ideas in my head but he dispensed with them rather quickly/easily and after that I drew a blank. I'm not a fan of the post match on court interview but I do sympathize with the comms thrown into them (even though they're being paid to do what they do and should have some time to prepare other than boilerplate questions).

by ponchi101 Oh, but that would be something to discuss. Do we "need" the pre-match interview? The post match interview? Especially after a tough loss, do we really need to subject the loser to a talk about how and why s/he lost?
It has boiled over. Let them walk in with no questions. Let them walk out without. Save those for the press conference. After a match like Medvedev-Rublev, was there anything of real interest that Daniil could talk about? Other than the brutal heat.

by mick1303 DM reached 7th career GS semis. This is the repeat of the best result for Russians - Safin's. Kafelnikov had 6 semifinal appearances.

by JTContinental Maddie is clobbering the ball so far. Vondrousova shaking out her arm a little bit while serving.

by JTContinental Keys is dictating play with her forehand. Vondrousova was pinned to the baseline the whole first set.

by meganfernandez Yay Maddie! But plays tomorrow night, right?

She's only 28. Thought she was over 30.

Rennae asked her how important it was to get tactical advice from Bjorn, and she said, "To be honest, I couldn't hear s*** out here tonight."

by Fastbackss I lament my ignorance at not knowing who the musician Jon Baptiste is, but I appreciated the prolonged shot of him in the crowd - with his seat neighbour talking with him while wearing a yarmulke and ferociously working a toothpick

by jazzyg I don't think Keys will beat Sabalenka, but I will be pulling for her even though it would cost me a medal in the SP. She has a puncher's chance in that match.

For the crowd that thinks she always crumbles, that stat about her only losing one U.S. Open match in her career after winning the first set had to be surprising. She will need a fast start against Sabalenka.

by ti-amie You could see Keys get tight in the second set and I thought she would fall apart but she didn't. Good for her.

by Fastbackss
ti-amie wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 am You could see Keys get tight in the second set and I thought she would fall apart but she didn't. Good for her.
I worried when she had squandered two match points...

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:43 am I don't think Keys will beat Sabalenka, but I will be pulling for her even though it would cost me a medal in the SP. She has a puncher's chance in that match.

For the crowd that thinks she always crumbles, that stat about her only losing one U.S. Open match in her career after winning the first set had to be surprising. She will need a fast start against Sabalenka.
I don't think she will beat Sabalenka, either, but we'll see. This match is about who handles nerves better. I wonder if they will both play first strike or if Maddie will let Sabalenka have a little control and use her pace and try to draw errors.

by Fastbackss Last night I went to bed after the first set, but taped the match so I could watch the rest over morning coffee.

Planned on doing the same tonight, but not sure I need to tape this one...

by ponchi101 I like her chances. Maddie has enough power to go toe to toe with Aryna.

by meganfernandez
Fastbackss wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:04 am Last night I went to bed after the first set, but taped the match so I could watch the rest over morning coffee.

Planned on doing the same tonight, but not sure I need to tape this one...
So predictable. Except for the T serve that Carlitos hit about 8 feet wide just now.

by meganfernandez I find Alcaraz's talent for choosing and executing the exact right shot every time kind of boring and annoying. It's how some people felt about Roger, but Roger had a style and artistry that I don't see in Carlos, and ai hadn't seen it before. For me, drop shots aren't personality. It's in the eye of the beholder, I know. I get why others love him. I like him personally. But I'm missing the thrill of watching him play.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:40 am I find Alcaraz's talent for choosing the exact right shot every time kind of boring and annoying. It's how some people felt about Roger, but Roger had a style and artistry that I don't see in Carlos. For me, drop shots aren't a personality. It's in the eye of the beholder, I know. I get why others love him. But I'm missing it.
.....I love Carlos. (*And his drop shots, etc. I think drop shots most definitely can be included with a certain kind of personality and artistry.) (So there.) :)

by jazzyg In the two matches tonight, the winner saved all 14 of the break points he/she faced and converted all seven of the break points he/she earned.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:44 am
meganfernandez wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:40 am I find Alcaraz's talent for choosing the exact right shot every time kind of boring and annoying. It's how some people felt about Roger, but Roger had a style and artistry that I don't see in Carlos. For me, drop shots aren't a personality. It's in the eye of the beholder, I know. I get why others love him. But I'm missing it.
.....I love Carlos. (*And his drop shots, etc. I think drop shots most definitely can be included with a certain kind of personality and artistry.) (So there.) :)
They can be, but they just aren't for me in this case. They aren't novel. He hits them better than anyone, but it's still a foundational shot. He hasn't introduced anything new. People act like he invented it.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:47 am In the two matches tonight, the winner saved all 14 of the break points he/she faced and converted all seven of the break points he/she earned.
Great pull.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:49 am
They can be, but they just aren't for me in this case. They aren't novel. He hits them better than anyone, but it's still a foundational shot. He hasn't introduced anything new. People act like he invented it.
Sure, he ain't Hsieh. But- why would he need to invent anything, if he does everything so well? To me, Carlos plays a beautiful game. I love how sound his over-all game is. Albeit, IMO, he does especially need to improve his serving. (Volleying can also improve, etc.)

PS: I hope that Carlos will be the daytime SF choice. Quite possible, with Novak against Ben....

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:

Sure, he ain't Hsieh. But- why would he need to invent anything, if he does everything so well? I love how sound his over-all game is. Albeit, IMO, he does especially need to improve his serving. (Volleying can also improve, etc.)
I want to see something I haven’t seen before in a player with this much adoration and proclamations of greatness. I mentioned drop shots because that are the biggest signature of his game and people can’t stop talking about them as unique. But so what, drop shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:54 am
nelslus wrote:

Sure, he ain't Hsieh. But- why would he need to invent anything, if he does everything so well? I love how sound his over-all game is. Albeit, IMO, he does especially need to improve his serving. (Volleying can also improve, etc.)
I want to see something I haven’t seen before in a player with this much adoration and proclamations of greatness. I mentioned drop shots because that are the biggest signature of his game and people can’t stop talking about them as unique. But so what, drop shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you win SO many points from drop shots- that's some major skills, and something very few top players can/could pull off from any era so often (See: Evert, Chris). His forehand is huge. His offense and defense are both excellent. He is a very bold player, and goes for winners so much of the time.

And....he's 20. Years. Old. Perhaps give this kid a little time before expecting any Hsieh/Frankie Durr level inventiveness? There ain't much new that any specific player can ever show us.

I mean, it's absurd at this point for anyone to go all GOAT-chat about Carlos. If that irritates folks, so be it. He's got a LONG way to go- let him at least reach Pete (and, LOL) Emerson level first. (Which, of course, may never happen. So much can go wrong for any player.) But, the hyperbole ain't his fault.

PS: Odds are, we can agree to disagree. We ain't gonna convince each other. Sometimes- we also can just have subjective dislikes for players.

PSS: I'm remain far more miffed with ponchi's zit-ridicule of Carlos. Leave Pretty Carlos Alone!

by ashkor87 I am old enough to have seen Laver in his prime...Alcaraz reminds me of him a lot..his blinding speed..and aggression..like a cheetah on the hunt...it is intimidating I am sure..

by jazzyg It is not absurd at all to talk about Alcaraz as a potential GOAT. All you have to do is watch him play. No one in my lifetime has been this gifted at 20. That does not guarantee his ultimate historic greatness, but it certainly is worthy of conversation.

by ponchi101 Carlos and his drop shots.
What makes the shot so effective is that he drop shots AND wrong-foot's you in one stroke. A lot of players do this: they pull you wide, and then hit the drop shot into the open court. But you are RECOVERING into the court, so all you have to do is accelerate and get there. There is no need to change direction. Alcaraz pull's you wide, and as you are recovering into the court, he has the instinct to go into the opposite direction with the drop, so you have to recover AND change direction. He is unique in that aspect.

It is not that he playing great tennis. He is reaching that level in which he is toying with his opponents. Last night's win against Zverev felt that way. I say the 10 slams mark is set. Need to wait a bit more to see if in 10 years we are indeed talking GOAT. But, seeing as nobody else is stepping up, we may have a to talk about it then.