For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day. And do not quote any post, as it will put you over the limit of characters for our parser

'23 USO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

DAY 12: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 8

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM 12:00 PM

MEN'S DOUBLES SF
IND R. Bopanna [6]/AUS M. Ebden [6] vs USA R. Ram [3]/GBR J. Salisbury [3]
MEN'S SINGLES SF
Not before 3:00 PM
USA B. Shelton vs SRB N. Djokovic [2]

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM 7:00 PM
MEN'S SINGLES SF
Upcoming
ESP C. Alcaraz [1] vs D. Medvedev [3]

LOUIS ARMSTRONG STADIUM 12:00 PM

WOMEN'S DOUBLES SF
CAN G. Dabrowski [16]/NZL E. Routliffe [16] vs TPE S. Hsieh [8]/CHN X. Wang [8]
WOMEN'S DOUBLES SF
Not before 1:30 PM
GER L. Siegemund [12]/V. Zvonareva [12] vs USA J. Brady/BRA L. Stefani
WC MEN'S SINGLES SF
Not before 2:30 PM
ARG G. Fernandez [3] vs GBR A. Hewett [2]

COURT 10 12:00 PM

JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES SF
SVK R. Jamrichova [1] vs CZE T. Valentova [9]
JUNIOR BOYS' SINGLES SF
Upcoming
FRA A. Gea [15] vs USA L. Tien [11]
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
SVK R. Jamrichova [1]/USA K. Quevedo [1] vs JPN S. Saito/JPN N. Sato

COURT 11 12:00 PM

WC WOMEN'S SINGLES SF
NED J. Griffioen [3] vs JPN Y. Kamiji [2]
WC MEN'S SINGLES SF
Upcoming
FRA S. Houdet vs GBR G. Reid
WC QUAD SINGLES SF
Upcoming
NED N. Vink [1] vs GBR A. Lapthorne

COURT 12 12:00 PM

WC WOMEN'S SINGLES SF
NED D. De Groot [1] vs JPN M. Ohtani [4]
JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
JPN H. Kinoshita/JPN W. Sonobe vs ROU M. Gae [8]/A. Gureva [8]
WC QUAD SINGLESSF
Upcoming
USA D. Wagner [4] vs NED S. Schroder [2]

COURT 13 12:00 PM

JUNIOR GIRLS' WC SINGLES SF
USA M. Phelps [1] vs BEL L. Gryp
JUNIOR BOYS' WC SINGLES SF
Upcoming
ITA F. Felici [1] vs USA C. Cooper
JUNIOR GIRLS' WC DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
FRA K. Chasteau [1]/USA M. Phelps [1] vs BRA V. Miranda/NED I. Schogt
JUNIOR BOYS' WC DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
GBR J. Johns/GBR D. Ward vs NED I. van Rijt [2]/AUS B. Wenzel [2]

COURT 7 12:00 PM

JUNIOR BOYS' SINGLES SF
ITA F. Cina [14] vs BRA J. Fonseca [7]
JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES SF
Upcoming
CZE L. Samsonova [10] vs USA K. Hui
JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
Y. Demin [1]/MEX R. Pacheco Mendez [1] vs ITA F. Bondioli [6]/AUT J. Schwaerzler [6]
JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
AUS H. Jones/USA A. Razeghi vs SWE M. Dahlin/EST O. Ojakaar

COURT 9 12:00 PM

JUNIOR GIRLS' WC SINGLES SF
Upcoming
JPN R. Okano vs FRA K. Chasteau [2]
JUNIOR BOYS' WC SINGLES SF
Upcoming
GBR D. Ward vs AUT M. Taucher [2]
JUNIOR GIRLS' WC DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
USA S. Czauz/JPN Y. Takamuro vs BEL L. Gryp [2]/JPN R. Okano [2]
JUNIOR BOYS' WC DOUBLES SF
Upcoming
ITA F. Felici [1]/AUT M. Taucher [1] vs USA C. Cooper/USA T. Majetic
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: '23 USO Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Post by Fastbackss »

Well that answers that.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of the discussions regarding scheduling and who would be on court first
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

US Open decision makers chose Alcaraz over Djokovic, clearly demonstrating who they want to win. Considering the heat, whoever plays during the day will be depleted to much higher degree.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

US Open decision makers just FOLLOWED the standard procedure that the winners of the TUESDAY matches, and therefore recipients of an extra day of rest, play the first semi. The winners of the WEDNESDAY matches, on only one day rest, play the second.
It can't be that every time a favorite gets "not the best" draw, scheduling, match-up or anything we immediately call the conspiracy theory.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:US Open decision makers just FOLLOWED the standard procedure that the winners of the TUESDAY matches, and therefore recipients of an extra day of rest, play the first semi. The winners of the WEDNESDAY matches, on only one day rest, play the second.
It can't be that every time a favorite gets "not the best" draw, scheduling, match-up or anything we immediately call the conspiracy theory.
Has it been that way every year? Makes sense but as long as all of them have at least 2 days off, I don’t know why it matters at much.

I don’t believe they are playing favorites between these two, though. It should be the better match anyway.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have been talking about preset narratives. Karo has started this set in a very poor fashion. So, what is the narrative? "She is nervous, the pressure of a semi final at the USO, she is tentative on her strokes".
Why? This is a player that has been to a slam final before. Semis too. She has never shown a penchant for choking. So, why immediately go for the "she can't handle the pressure" narrative?
Sometimes, your shots don't land in. Sometimes, you are off by 2-3° on your strokes. And that will make the ball land long or hit the net. Just that.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:I have been talking about preset narratives. Karo has started this set in a very poor fashion. So, what is the narrative? "She is nervous, the pressure of a semi final at the USO, she is tentative on her strokes".
Why? This is a player that has been to a slam final before. Semis too. She has never shown a penchant for choking. So, why immediately go for the "she can't handle the pressure" narrative?
Sometimes, your shots don't land in. Sometimes, you are off by 2-3° on your strokes. And that will make the ball land long or hit the net. Just that.
I agree, they sometimes go for the lazy narrative. In this case, is Chrissie critiquing tight shots, something she can see? She mentioned at one point that Muchova wasn’t hitting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm
ponchi101 wrote:US Open decision makers just FOLLOWED the standard procedure that the winners of the TUESDAY matches, and therefore recipients of an extra day of rest, play the first semi. The winners of the WEDNESDAY matches, on only one day rest, play the second.
Has it been that way every year? Makes sense but as long as all of them have at least 2 days off, I don’t know why it matters at much.

I don’t believe they are playing favorites between these two, though. It should be the better match anyway.
I don't know. But, and here I am talking to Mick, it can't be that every time that something goes not completely in favor of Novak, there is a plot against him. Sure, he is not the favorite of everybody, but the final that the USO want IS Novak/Carlos. So, if they really think that Novak cannot handle the heat, putting him on the first slot makes no CONSPIRACY THEORY sense. Carlos and Daniil will handle it (Daniil did yesterday); so, if they really wanted a CARLOS/DIMINISHED NOVAK final, here they are risking it completely.
WE, the public, may not totally like him. The ORGANIZERS want him in the final. It is the dream final, the one that will have to go toe to toe with the first weekend of the NFL.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 pm

I don't know. But, and here I am talking to Mick, it can't be that every time that something goes not completely in favor of Novak, there is a plot against him. Sure, he is not the favorite of everybody, but the final that the USO want IS Novak/Carlos. So, if they really think that Novak cannot handle the heat, putting him on the first slot makes no CONSPIRACY THEORY sense. Carlos and Daniil will handle it (Daniil did yesterday); so, if they really wanted a CARLOS/DIMINISHED NOVAK final, here they are risking it completely.
WE, the public, may not totally like him. The ORGANIZERS want him in the final. It is the dream final, the one that will have to go toe to toe with the first weekend of the NFL.
I don’t think they care who wins it. They probably care who makes the final. I dearly hope they can resist putting their finger in the scale. Surely they have guidelines for deciding how to schedule matches.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:48 pm
ponchi101 wrote:I have been talking about preset narratives. Karo has started this set in a very poor fashion. So, what is the narrative? "She is nervous, the pressure of a semi final at the USO, she is tentative on her strokes".
I agree, they sometimes go for the lazy narrative. In this case, is Chrissie critiquing tight shots, something she can see? She mentioned at one point that Muchova wasn’t hitting out.

Remember I am not watching your group of talking heads. I am dealing with Monica Puig (whom I like a lot), and one Mexican and one Argie narrator. So, if Chrissie is saying the same...
And now, Coco has lost 3 games in a row. And the narrative disappears! No mentioning of nerves or pressure. When the sole difference was that Muchova lost the first few games, and now Coco has lost the recent ones. Makes no sense to me.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:01 pm US Open decision makers chose Alcaraz over Djokovic, clearly demonstrating who they want to win. Considering the heat, whoever plays during the day will be depleted to much higher degree.
Seriously - Djokovic fans hurt Djokovic's popularity with the general public because of this constant whining about everything. Djokovic/Shelton will have had two days of rest since their respective quarterfinals, so it makes sense that they play the first match. By the time the semifinal starts at 3pm local time the sun will be off the court. It will be hot, and humid but Djokovic will also have more time to recover before the final than the winner of the 2nd semifinal.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:55 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:48 pm

Remember I am not watching your group of talking heads. I am dealing with Monica Puig (whom I like a lot), and one Mexican and one Argie narrator. So, if Chrissie is saying the same...
And now, Coco has lost 3 games in a row. And the narrative disappears! No mentioning of nerves or pressure. When the sole difference was that Muchova lost the first few games, and now Coco has lost the recent ones. Makes no sense to me.
Chrissie keeps saying Carolina has won 4 games in a row and it's driving me nuts.

Post by Fastbackss »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:40 pm US Open decision makers just FOLLOWED the standard procedure that the winners of the TUESDAY matches, and therefore recipients of an extra day of rest, play the first semi. The winners of the WEDNESDAY matches, on only one day rest, play the second.
They did - makes it easy to defend.

But what I want to know is whether behind closed doors someone argued for the alternative
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But, as many say here, the Novak/Ben match up can be a slaughter (I don't agree), so you end up with a 1-3-2 match, on prime time.
Carlos/Daniil has the potential for being a close match.
PLUS.
Can we remember that the USO just put Medvedev in a total furnace of a match? So, would it be fair FOR DANIIL (there are more than one player involved in this decision) to have to play, on shorter notice than Novak/Ben, a second match in extreme heat?

Post by Fastbackss »

Everything you said is accurate - but my point, said more explicitly remains, what is the ranking of the 4 players in terms of interest in US
Djokovic
Shelton
Alcaraz
Medvedev

So...I imagine some lobbied to get Novak and Ben in primetime