With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'24 ATP WTA AO Grand Slam 1/14 - 1/28

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '24 ATP WTA AO Grand Slam 1/14 - 1/28

Post by ti-amie »

Good point re Saville...
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

She's not young but she's way younger than Rodionova.

My guess would be a) she's been in the top 20 and is coming back from yet another injury and b) She is married to and coached by popular Aussie players (Luke Saville, Nicole Pratt).

One quick correction to my earlier post: the Rodionova who hasn't played at the AO since 2012 and retired is Anastasia, not Arina
Last edited by JTContinental on Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I have no problem with AO giving wild cards to Australians but this 'exchange program' with other majors is highly unfair..just because they are part of the 'old school'.. is Australia or even France more significant among tennis playing nations than, say, Czechia or Russia..? Why do Americans and Brits deserve wild cards at every grand slam?! Security council,,,,?!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It does reek of "Ol' boys club" tactics.
But since nobody can tell the slam what they can or cannot do, they can get away with that.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Brady Endures Another Setback And Withdraws From 2024 Australian Open
by Jordan Reynolds
Today, 00:45

Jennifer Brady's physical struggles have continued, with the American having to pull out of the 2024 Australian Open.

Brady had been one of many comeback players set to play in Melbourne. This includes two-time champion Naomi Osaka, whose first tournament was in Brisbane, where she lost in the second round to Karolina Pliskova.

The Australian Open was the scene of Brady's best career achievement to date. It was the American who played Osaka in the 2021 final at the first Grand Slam of the year. She lost, but her run was still a memorable one.

Unfortunately, things became more difficult for Brady after that. She sustained a knee injury against Jelena Ostapenko at the Cincinnati Masters. It was a serious problem, and it kept her away from the sport for two years.

The 28-year-old did not return until the 2023 Washington Open. Her level was surprisingly strong after such a long time out. The former Grand Slam finalist easily defeated Anhelina Kalinina, before losing to Madison Keys, who also withdrew recently from the Australian Open.

Brady carried that good form into the 2023 US Open. She progressed to the third round, only being stopped by former runner-up at Flushing Meadows, Caroline Wozniacki. All seemed to be looking up for Brady.

Sadly, she had to retire from her contest at the China Open against Magda Linette in October. Brady did not play for the rest of the 2023 season.

Now, Brady has had to withdraw from the Australian Open. Missing any Grand Slam is difficult. However, missing the Grand Slam she had so much success at, and after such a long previous injury layoff, is a difficult setback for her.

Hopefully, we see Brady back as soon as possible, and further injury issues do not completely derail what was such a promising career.

https://tennis-infinity.com/wta/brady-e ... alian-open
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JTContinental »

Wrong thread
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'm now ready to call Rybakina AO title favorite.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:34 am I'm now ready to call Rybakina AO title favorite.
yes, that was a truly impressive win.. she seemed to be in the zone. how long can it last, is the question.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

As Rafa's career has advanced I finally turned and am rooting for him. Was hoping he'd make a decent show in Melbourne to set a foundation at least up through Roland Garros. Him withdrawing is sad
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:21 pm As Rafa's career has advanced I finally turned and am rooting for him. Was hoping he'd make a decent show in Melbourne to set a foundation at least up through Roland Garros. Him withdrawing is sad
Same. I never rooted for him because of Fed. Never disliked him, but hated watching Fed fall to him over and over. But now I can fully appreciate Rafa for who his is and love watching him compete. Sad he won't be in Melbourne. I don't want to see him stumble to the end, obviously in pain.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:34 am I'm now ready to call Rybakina AO title favorite.
You might be right, but Rybakina is inconsistent. She should win - she has the most raw power on the serve and groundies. But I can't pull the trigger and say she will win it. She certainly has the edge on Iga on outdoor hard court. I hope they get to play in Melbourne.

Gauff showed a lot of poise to beat Svitolina in three, and I think her serve has improved. I have said elsewhere, she worked with Roddick a little bit in the offseason, so I was curious to see her serve. I still think Gauff should be more aggressive. She was a bit passive vs Svitolina. Just content to rally with her when she could have attacked.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not ready to say Elena is now the favorite. That would mean a sort of long streak (if she does not play this week, it would mean 11 straight matches) and, as has been said, her inconsistency is never far away.
If she serves well, she will do well. But favorite for the title is a bit too much for me.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JTContinental »

If Gauff can “passively” hit 32 winners against all of her opponents like she did against Svitolina, she’ll be in pretty good shape to contend for the title at AO

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:17 am Wrong thread
I debated about where to put this one. It does have to do with the AO but also goes into her injury woes.

Post by JTContinental »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:51 pm
JTContinental wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:17 am Wrong thread
I debated about where to put this one. It does have to do with the AO but also goes into her injury woes.
Oh sorry, I didn’t mean to imply your post was in the wrong thread. I posted something on this here last that belonged in the Auckland thread, so I edited it out of here 😀