L. Samsonova 13 vs A. Anisimova
N. Podoroska vs T. Zidansek
T. Townsend vs P. Badosa
A. Pavlyuchenkova vs D. Vekic 21

L. Tsurenko 28 vs L. Bronzetti
R. Masarova vs A. Sasnovich
A. Bogdan vs Qualifier/LL
Qualifier/LL vs A. Sabalenka 2

by JTContinental I gotta say, I don't see Swiatek coming out of the top half of that draw--Rybakina seems more likely to me, even though they are both in form. Swiatek will potentially have to take out Kenin, Collins/Kerber, Bouzkova, Svitolina, and Ostapenko/Azarenka--lots of sleepers in this section.

Sabalenka has a much easier path to come out of the bottom--I see Coco as a potential challenger there, as well as Sakkari. I think Jabeur will bow out early to Andreeva or Wang. Other early "upsets" I'm picking: Osaka over Garcia, and Caro over last year's SFist Linette.

by ponchi101 Iga has issues against Ostapenko, but Ostapenko can flame out early. That is a question.
Other than that, I don't see anybody there that is a real threat.

Rybakina/Pliskova can be a very short match, time wise. Too good servers, with limited mobility. 7-5, 7-6 in 1:20?

by ashkor87 Much as I would like to see Osaka win, I don't dhe has any chance at all against Garcia...

by ponchi101 Garcia is far removed from her Annus Mirabilis. I see her right now as a truly vulnerable player, against anybody in the top 100. Or a four time slam champion on the comeback trail.
Anyway, we will see in a few days.

by ashkor87 likely first round upsets:
Raducanu to Rogers (is that even an upset?)
Badosa to Townsend

intriguing (can go either way)
Anisimova- Samsonova - both prefer a slower court

Osaka will lose to Garcia, though technically that isnt an upset..

by New England Nitemare
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:08 pm

Osaka will lose to Garcia, though technically that isnt an upset..
I'm not so sure about that. i know Osaka has been away for a minute, but Garcia has been so up and down lately. Caroline was seeded 4th here a year ago, and now she's seeded 16th. I think it's going to be an interesting match.

by Suliso There could be numerous upsets among the lower seeds or none at all. Hard to say...

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:27 am I gotta say, I don't see Swiatek coming out of the top half of that draw--Rybakina seems more likely to me, even though they are both in form. Swiatek will potentially have to take out Kenin, Collins/Kerber, Bouzkova, Svitolina, and Ostapenko/Azarenka--lots of sleepers in this section.

Sabalenka has a much easier path to come out of the bottom--I see Coco as a potential challenger there, as well as Sakkari. I think Jabeur will bow out early to Andreeva or Wang. Other early "upsets" I'm picking: Osaka over Garcia, and Caro over last year's SFist Linette.
I'm not sure Swiatek would beat Svitolina. Svitolina got her at Wimbledon. And Coco vs Sabalenka would be a toss-up. I wonder if the loss to Rybakina rattled Sabalenka's confidence, and knowing she lost to Gauff at the US Open. I really want to see that match.

by Suliso I think Sabalenka will not repeat. Pressure will be too much.

by ponchi101 Plus. Defending a slam is very difficult. Iga did it last year but, before that, Serena in 15/16, at W.
Tall order.

by ashkor87 The way Rybakina played at Brisbane, nobody can beat her. But I just don't believe it can keep happening..she has peaked too soon..
I would still make Coco favorite and Rybakina second choice....of course Swiatek may well beat them all..if she adapts to the court..Swiatek is better at adapting than anyone.

by ashkor87 Garcia is a strange case..she has done quite well recently, except for losing in finals ..to the likes of Parks ...does she choke in finals? Osaka is a first round match, Garcia will not choke...of course, there are examples of Sakkari and Ostapenko beating her early, but they are good players .Paolini was a bad loss, true.
Osaka isn't the kind of player who needs much tuning up, so maybe she will be ok . I would be happy but I think there is only a 30% chance she will beat Garcia..that loss to Pliskova was not encouraging. She is not ready yet.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:14 am The way Rybakina played at Brisbane, nobody can beat her. But I just don't believe it can keep happening..she has peaked too soon..
I would still make Coco favorite and Rybakina second choice....of course Swiatek may well beat them all..if she adapts to the court..Swiatek is better at adapting than anyone.
Sure on Rybakina, but she doesn't always play like that. Inconsistent. Never know what she'll produce.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:08 pm Plus. Defending a slam is very difficult. Iga did it last year but, before that, Serena in 15/16, at W.
Tall order.
But even Osaka has (almost) done it, and Swiatek .not to mention Nadal and Djokovic, who have done it many times ..so I don't accept the proposition that retaining (not defending,) a major title is very hard in itself. .

by jazzyg I agree with suliso about Sabalenka. In addition to feeling the pressure of defending her title, she really has not been at peak form for about nine months. She won a lot of matches after the early part of 2023 without playing as well as she did to take Melbourne.

by martini4me Does anyone know where to find a printable draw that's actually formatted correctly? It appears that on the ones from the official Australian Open site, the top half of each draw doesn't actually fit on one page, but the bottom four or so players spill onto another sheet.

by ti-amie
martini4me wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:57 pm Does anyone know where to find a printable draw that's actually formatted correctly? It appears that on the ones from the official Australian Open site, the top half of each draw doesn't actually fit on one page, but the bottom four or so players spill onto another sheet.
This is from the WTA website (I know, I know). How does this work?

https://wtafiles.wtatennis.com/pdf/draw ... 01/MDS.pdf

by ashkor87 Samsonova vs Anisimova - is Samsonova capable of adapting to this fast court? Is anisimova really back? She doesn't like fast courts either...I don't know what to expect ..

by martini4me
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:51 am
martini4me wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:57 pm Does anyone know where to find a printable draw that's actually formatted correctly? It appears that on the ones from the official Australian Open site, the top half of each draw doesn't actually fit on one page, but the bottom four or so players spill onto another sheet.

Yes, that one's great. Thank you! But I don't see an option to get a PDF of a draw on the ATP site.

by ti-amie
martini4me wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:28 am

Yes, that one's great. Thank you! But I don't see an option to get a PDF of a draw on the ATP site.
Look man you want everything?! You're a tennis fan. You should know better. :roll:

Seriously though really? That's not good. I was frankly surprised to see one on the WTA site.

by ponchi101 Poll started. 6 votes, to be spread amongst a maximum of three players, with a maximum of three votes per player.

by meganfernandez Naomi didn’t bring her daughter to Australia. She could be away for 4-5 weeks. Says Shai might learn to crawl before she gets back. I’m surprised she is apart from her baby for that long. No judgment but surprising.

https://x.com/tennis/status/1745928647800713637?s=46

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ashkor87 8 moms, 4 are grand slam champions! 10 titles

by martini4me
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:57 am
martini4me wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:28 am

Look man you want everything?! You're a tennis fan. You should know better. :roll:

Seriously though really? That's not good. I was frankly surprised to see one on the WTA site.
The major tournaments' websites always used to have good printable draws (in landscape mode) until a few years ago. Why would they stop providing those?

by jazzyg The good draws were from IBM. The slams that stopped using IBM have run into trouble at times with printable draws.

by patrick
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:57 am Naomi didn’t bring her daughter to Australia. She could be away for 4-5 weeks. Says Shai might learn to crawl before she gets back. I’m surprised she is apart from her baby for that long. No judgment but surprising.

Cordae can handle the few weeks

by ti-amie
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:55 am The good draws were from IBM. The slams that stopped using IBM have run into trouble at times with printable draws.
Thanks for this.

by ti-amie
patrick wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:30 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:57 am Naomi didn’t bring her daughter to Australia. She could be away for 4-5 weeks. Says Shai might learn to crawl before she gets back. I’m surprised she is apart from her baby for that long. No judgment but surprising.

Cordae can handle the few weeks
The grandmothers will handle the load. I doubt Cordae will do jack.

by Jeff from TX Kenin is no match for Swiatek - her form is no where near what it was several years ago. Neither is Kerber. Granted, they are former slam champions, but neither one should be much of a threat to Swiatek. That is like saying Sloane is a threat - maybe for one match against a lesser player.

by JTContinental Kerber did play toe to toe against Swiatek for the first set of their United Cup match before being blown out in the second set.

by Jeff from TX
JTContinental wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:50 pm Kerber did play toe to toe against Swiatek for the first set of their United Cup match before being blown out in the second set.
Sure, she played well in the first set and it was somewhat competitive, but not a single break on Iga's serve out of 5 chances - she also lost the last 9 games in a row.

by ponchi101 On a comeback trail, I say that is not too bad.

by Jeff from TX
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:10 pm On a comeback trail, I say that is not too bad.
True, and I really like Kerber. She just isn't quite there yet. Neither is Kenin, although I would love to see her back at full strength and confidence.

by skatingfan Grand Slam Debut

McCartney Kessler, United States of America (24)
Alina Korneeva, Russia (16)
Taylor Preston, Australia (18)
Ella Seidel, Germany (18)
Yulia Starodubtseva, Ukraine (23)
Lulu Sun, Switzerland (22)
Maria Timofeeva, Russia (20)

Australian Open Debut

Mirra Andreeva, Russia (16)
Elina Avanesyan, Russia (21)
Jodie Burrage, Great Britain (24)
Mai Hontama, Japan (24)
Ashlyn Krueger, United States of America (19)
Rebeka Masarova, Spain (24)
Emma Navarro, United States of America (22)
Linda Noskova, Czech Republic (19)
Alycia Parks, United States of America (23)
Daria Snigur, Ukraine (21)
Peyton Stearns, United States of America (22)
Anastasia Zakharova, Russia (21)
Renata Zarazua, Mexico (26)
Bai Zhuoxuan, People's Republic of China (21)

by ashkor87 Surprisingly low support for the defending champion!

by Suliso Vondrousova's early departure helps Ostapenko or Azarenka in that section.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:59 am Vondrousova's early departure helps Ostapenko or Azarenka in that section.
Maybe, but they are playing well enough anyway...especially Ostapenko...

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:25 pm Much as I would like to see Osaka win, I don't dhe has any chance at all against Garcia...
I was quite pleased with Osaka's performance..she is 80% back .good result for both of them, I would say,! Didn't care for her space-age outfit though!!

by ashkor87 I would give Kenin a 30% chance, she has the kind of game that would hurry Swiatek..and she is an AO champ, Swiatek isn't!!
Kerber has about 40% chance, a bit higher because Collins has had some health issues too..don't know if she is fit yet.
Kerber is very good at redirecting pace from power hitters, Collins isn't quite that...

by ashkor87 Given the fact that the courts are a bit slower this year, I would reduce my estimate of Coco's chances, increase the others...maybe 25% each to the big 4.

by ponchi101 The big 4?
Iga and....
;)
Ok, I get it. But her chances will not change just by a small reduction of speed. It is not as if they went from a hard court to compacted beach sand.

by Suliso The 2nd quarter is bound to produce a surprise SF's. We have:

Blinkova vs Paolini
Kalinskaya vs Stephens

Zheng vs Wang
Dodin vs Burel

Stephens is the biggest name here and the only player to have been to GS SF's before. I'm betting on Zheng instead.

by ashkor87 Agree Zheng is the most likely
revised probabilities:

Coco 35%
Sabalenka 25%
Swiatek 20%
BHM 15%
field 5%

by ashkor87 Oops I forgot about Osta..corrected:
Coco 30%
Sabalenka 25%
Swiatek 20%

BHM 10%
Ostapenko 10%
Field 5%

by ponchi101 Revise once more... ;)

by ashkor87 Krejcikova is the most likely upset in the next round..much as I like her...

by Suliso That's for sure. Would it even be an upset? She almost lost to Storm Hunter...

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:34 pm Krejcikova is the most likely upset in the next round..much as I like her...
Can we really pick a "most likely" though? I agree that she's been running on fumes and barely got past Hunter but this Aus Open has been - different?

by ponchi101 And that's my point. Yes, I agree that Coco and Aryna are the "favorites" now. By whiskers.

by ashkor87 Kostyuk next, the first serious opposition for Coco..that match will tell us a lot about Coco. Kostyuk is a seriously talented player in great form. If Coco can beat her comfortably, that would be very impressive..I expect her to win, but I also expect a struggle.

by ashkor87 The experts (whom I totally respect) are comparing Andreeva with Hingis...I just don't see it..does anyone here?

by ashkor87 Tomorrow (Monday) matches are unappetising...not one match I would care to watch...maybe Svitolina vs Noskova..
Plan to take a break from watching tennis tomorrow

by Owendonovan
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:27 am The experts (whom I totally respect) are comparing Andreeva with Hingis...I just don't see it..does anyone here?
She's certainly Hingis like in that she tries to construct every point because she has no real muscular shot.

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:49 am Tomorrow (Monday) matches are unappetising...not one match I would care to watch...maybe Svitolina vs Noskova..
Plan to take a break from watching tennis tomorrow
There's always one day during a Slam where you go "meh". I totally understand.

by ashkor87 Kostyuk vs Coco! Really looking forward to it ..I remember Osaka saying, after beating Kostyuk a couple years ago, it is scary how talented she is.
QZ for the finals? She is probably the youngest in that half but also the most mature...all 4 are equally talented...

by ashkor87 Nope, Noskova is the youngest of course..

by ashkor87 Looks like Coco vs Saba semi in the bottom half..Coco has about 70% chance against Kostyuk, Saba has 90% chance against Krejcikova (h2h is 5-1)

by Suliso I'll be a lot more impressed if you correctly predict both top half SF's :)