Men's Singles • Round 1
S. Korda 29 vs V. Kopriva Q
Women's Singles • Round 1
R. Masarova vs A. Sasnovich
Men's Singles • Round 1
A. Tabilo vs A. Kovacevic Q
Women's Singles • Round 1
A. Kalinskaya vs K. Volynets Q

by ashkor87 Matches I look forward to-- Osaka vs Garcia, Berretini vs Tsitsi, Townsend vs Badosa ..hope TT can do it, love her style....

by ti-amie Townsend looked rusty in her one and I think only warm-up event. I would love to see her win but I don't know.
It's already posted elsewhere here that Berretini withdrew due to injury Tsitsi will face a LL.

by ponchi101 Can we expect Berrettini to ever recover to play at his level? This guy simply can't seem to get over the injuries. He is making Richard Krajicek look like the epitome of health.

by Fastbackss
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:52 pm Townsend looked rusty in her one and I think only warm-up event. I would love to see her win but I don't know.
It's already posted elsewhere here that Berretini withdrew due to injury Tsitsi will face a LL.
She did - but she also won the doubles, so there is that

by martini4me Of the 7:00 p.m. (Eastern North America time) matches, Noskova-Bouzkova is the one I'm interested in.

by atlpam
martini4me wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:36 pm Of the 7:00 p.m. (Eastern North America time) matches, Noskova-Bouzkova is the one I'm interested in.
And some good tennis so far!

by ti-amie Yastremska (!) is out there taking names. She rolled over Vondrousova 6-1 in 31m to take the first set.

Preston broke Svitolina early and that was Elina's wake up call. She's rolling 6-2, 4-2.

by ti-amie

by JTContinental Voundrousova is playing injured so that result is not that surprising

by JTContinental Anna Karolina Schmiedlova is wearing a skirt that is sort of flesh-colored in the middle with a white stripe running across it, so when the camera pulls out to play the point and show her from behind, it looks like she is wearing a tiny skirt with a bikini top.

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:35 am Voundrousova is playing injured so that result is not that surprising
I wasn't aware she was injured. What's wrong? Either she was missing the court completely or netting her returns.

Yastremska ended up with 26 winners vs 5 for Vondrousova.

by JTContinental
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:37 am
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:35 am Voundrousova is playing injured so that result is not that surprising
I wasn't aware she was injured. What's wrong? Either she was missing the court completely or netting her returns.
Hip injury, so she was probably going for winners

by JTContinental ...but apparently not hitting them :D

by martini4me
atlpam wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:24 am
martini4me wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:36 pm Of the 7:00 p.m. (Eastern North America time) matches, Noskova-Bouzkova is the one I'm interested in.
Unfortunately, they're not showing that match here. :x

Yastremska hasn't done much of anything for a couple years. Was this just because Vondrousova couldn't chase down her "winners"?

by JTContinental Coco clearly nervous in the first set, but worked through it. Schmiedlova never held in that match and only won 2 points on her second serve.

by ti-amie
martini4me wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:03 am

Yastremska hasn't done much of anything for a couple years. Was this just because Vondrousova couldn't chase down her "winners"?
TBH movement didn't seem to be an issue for Vondrousova. She either couldn't find the court or she hit returns into the net.

You're right about Yastremska. She looked like the Slam winner today and that is just...weird.

by Fastbackss Kyrgios announcing the Tsitsipas match here in the states is an amusing choice

by ti-amie Siegemund took the first set 6-2 over Alexandrova.

by ti-amie Cori through over AKS 6-3, 6-0.

by ti-amie Alexandrova took a MTO at 2-3 in the second set and came back to win the next four games. To a third set we go.

ETA: She did come back with a heavy wrap on her left thigh.

by ashkor87 Yastremska is known for her hard-hitting, should not be underestimated ..Pavly vs Vekic is an intriguing one ..will tell me a bit about how the court is playing ...

by ti-amie Siegemund, who has had her thigh wrapped the entire match, took her own, slightly extended MTO. Alexandrova had bp's but Siegemund got it to deuce.

by ti-amie Siegemund played a great set and a half. After her MTO Alexandrova went on a tear. She's up 3-1 in the third set.

by ti-amie Ed Salmon
@fogmount@mas.to
Qualifier Flavio Cobolli wins the last 4 games to beat Jarry, 64 36 63 26 75 in 4h01m. #AustralianOpen

by ti-amie In a totally insane match, 35 year old Laura Siegemund takes out the #17 seed Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(9). The head games between the two of them were something else.

by nelslus WELL- Sigmund Freud managed to squeak out the win against Alexandrova in the third set tiebreaker 11-9. Talk about a Battle of the Wills with the Walking Wounded. It really can be so much fun watching an excruciating close match like this, when you don't have any kind of a favorite. In fact, it's always painful to watch a non-hated player lose a match like this. Alexandrova just could not deal well enough with Laura's nasty slices during the biggest points. Brilliant plays, horrendous errors, and everything in between from both of them. Fun match.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:09 am In a totally insane match, 35 year old Laura Siegemund takes out the #17 seed Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(9). The head games between the two of them were something else.
.....Too bad Coco wasn't available to provide commentary for this match. :gorgeous:

by ti-amie José Morgado 🤖
@josemorgado@sportsbots.xyz
Adrian Mannarino, currently an ATP top 20 player, comes back from a break down in the 4th set to beat 2014 champ Stan Wawrinka 6-4, 3-6, 5-7, 6-3, 6-0 and reach the 2nd round at the #AusOpen.

Novak Djokovic will be the only former champ in the 2nd round...

by ti-amie
nelslus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:22 am
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:09 am In a totally insane match, 35 year old Laura Siegemund takes out the #17 seed Ekaterina Alexandrova 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(9). The head games between the two of them were something else.
.....Too bad Coco wasn't available to provide commentary for this match. :gorgeous:
Sorry what did I miss?

by ti-amie José Morgado 🤖
2023 runner up Stefanos Tsitsipas comes back to beat Zizou Bergs 5-7, 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 and reach the 2nd round at the #AusOpen.

He was very good in the last three sets!

by JTContinental
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:43 am
Sorry what did I miss?
Coco had some choice post-match comments following their match at the USO last year.

by JTContinental
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:42 am José Morgado 🤖
Adrian Mannarino, currently an ATP top 20 player, comes back from a break down in the 4th set to beat 2014 champ Stan Wawrinka 6-4, 3-6, 5-7, 6-3, 6-0 and reach the 2nd round at the #AusOpen.

Novak Djokovic will be the only former champ in the 2nd round...
a by-product of the same 3 people winning every event for the last 30 years and then two of them effectively retiring

by JTContinental Chris Eubanks doesn't have any glute muscles, so I'm not sure how he injured one.

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:37 am Yastremska is known for her hard-hitting, should not be underestimated ..Pavly vs Vekic is an intriguing one ..will tell me a bit about how the court is playing ...
well, that didnt tell me much.. Vekic simply played poorly, moving slow, looked distraught somehow.. unwell?

by nelslus
Sorry what did I miss?
Coco could now give a TED talk on The Shenanigans of Ms. Sigmund Freud. As was the case with Laura's US Open loss to Coco- Laura played many of her gamesmanship tricks against Alexandrova- taking forever to first serve, second serve (ESPECIALLY before deigning to hit her second serves), get her towel, prepare herself to return Alexandra's serve....making sure to get her nails and hair done during the pre-third set time-out, shrieking every time she hit a good shot and/or her opponent hits a bad shot.....AND, the umpire waiting until very late in the match to FINALLY!!!! give Laura a warning for, basically, stalling. Before, during, and after every single point.

YUP, I am sure Coco would have had plenty to share during this Laura win. :shock:

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 am José Morgado 🤖
2023 runner up Stefanos Tsitsipas comes back to beat Zizou Bergs 5-7, 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 and reach the 2nd round at the #AusOpen.

He was very good in the last three sets!
....Albeit, against Zizou Bergs. :gorgeous:

by nelslus VERY happy that the Un-Ass-Blessed (as JT has already wisely pointed out) Chris Eubanks appears to have shaken whatever injury issues he's recently had- easily taking out Ben-Shelton-Disturber Taro Daniel, 4, 2 & 3. :)

by Suliso A good win for Garcia against a still very serious opponent. She was dominant on her own serve in this one.

by ptmcmahon A match that went late enough for me to finish at work :) Thiem-FAA in a fifth set.

by ashkor87 coco was repeatedly broken in the first set...her serve is supposed to have improved .?! Her opponent was worse, so it was ok ..

by atlpam
martini4me wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:03 am
I was really impressed with Noskova’s game. There were some excellent points throughout the match. I am now a fan - expect her to be a seeded player before long.

by ti-amie
nelslus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:34 am

Sorry what did I miss?
Coco could now give a TED talk on The Shenanigans of Ms. Sigmund Freud. As was the case with Laura's US Open loss to Coco- Laura played many of her gamesmanship tricks against Alexandrova- taking forever to first serve, second serve (ESPECIALLY before deigning to hit her second serves), get her towel, prepare herself to return Alexandra's serve....making sure to get her nails and hair done during the pre-third set time-out, shrieking every time she hit a good shot and/or her opponent hits a bad shot.....AND, the umpire waiting until very late in the match to FINALLY!!!! give Laura a warning for, basically, stalling. Before, during, and after every single point.

YUP, I am sure Coco would have had plenty to share during this Laura win. :shock:
Got it. Krejcikova does the same things.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:41 pm coco was repeatedly broken in the first set...her serve is supposed to have improved .?! Her opponent was worse, so it was ok ..
Coco said she worked on a consistent ball toss in the off-season. She worked with Roddick a bit on the serve.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:41 am VERY happy that the Un-Ass-Blessed (as JT has already wisely pointed out) Chris Eubanks appears to have shaken whatever injury issues he's recently had- easily taking out Ben-Shelton-Disturber Taro Daniel, 4, 2 & 3. :)
Wonder if Daniel was a little tired from Auckland. Big win over Shelton Friday, tough loss Saturday in the final. Played B5 three days later in a different city. Three days seems like enough time to be ready again, but maybe he's not used to that. Good for Eubanks, though. Would love to see him make another run.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:08 am Chris Eubanks doesn't have any glute muscles, so I'm not sure how he injured one.
:lol:

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:52 pm A good win for Garcia against a still very serious opponent. She was dominant on her own serve in this one.
Yeah, maybe she is back to summer 2022 form, when she was serving great.

by ti-amie I agree that Taro was a bit fatigued. I'm not making an excuse because he's been in the game a long time and knows his body. Still he competed in the fir$t round so he got a nice check.

I'll believe Garcia is back in form if she makes week two.

by JTContinental Daniel was also quite surly from the first time he got broken in the second set, which wasn’t doing him any favors